CT Scan Next Week / Check up was today

Options
2»

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I asked my husband. He said he doesn't remember any surgical patient developing collapsed lungs after surgery. Must be uncomfortable. Who told you that your lungs were collapsed?

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    edited January 2022 #23
    Options

Oh, believe me, I am doing some online reading! out of curiosity, what type of doctor is your husband? Thank you both so much for your support. Super grateful! Okay, so here goes....I have "Bibasilar Atelectasis." It's at the very top of my CT scan. Yes, I have written my doctor and asked for immediate support with this.

From Johns Hopkins: Bibasilar atelectasis is a condition that happens when you have a partial collapse of your lungs. This type of collapse is caused when the small air sacs in your lungs deflate. These small air sacs are called alveoli. Bibasilar atelectasis specifically refers to the collapse of the lower sections of your lungs.

Back to me, now: I've had asthma for many years. This condition did not show up on my last CT scan, however, pre surgery last March.

• Forherself
    Options

John is a family doctor. Good you are getting it looked after. I guess the radiologist must have put it in the report.

• Harmanygroves
    Options

That's where it's from!

Ugh. This is why I have been having chest pain this last week, I'm guessing. I have also been focusing on doing some deep breathing, as I'm feeling like I am only getting shallow "top of the lungs" breaths. I will report back when I know more. Thanks to both you and your husband John! Again, I am so appreciative.

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

Deb,

Good news about the scan, sorry to hear about the lungs. I have not heard of such a thing, but obviously it is a side effect. Maybe someone else will come along that has experienced this.

xxoo

Denise

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Hi Deb 2,

First, let me congratulate you on the wonderful part of your CT scans that found no evidence of cancer!

Second, I took a quick look and I too saw that atelectasis can be related to prior surgery, especially abdominal surgery. I thought you said that there was no reported atelectasis on your prior CT, which I'm assuming was prior to your surgery? If that's the case, I think it's more likely surgery-related than due to other causes. I'll be interested to hear what your doctor has to say and whether you learn that your asthma plays any role in this finding. You probably already saw this, but I checked the Mayo Clinic's website and it said:

"Atelectasis is one of the most common breathing (respiratory) complications after surgery. It's also a possible complication of other respiratory problems, including cystic fibrosis, lung tumors, chest injuries, fluid in the lung and respiratory weakness. You may develop atelectasis if you breathe in a foreign object."

"General anesthesia is a common cause of atelectasis. It changes your regular pattern of breathing and affects the exchange of lung gases, which can cause the air sacs (alveoli) to deflate. Nearly everyone who has major surgery develops some amount of atelectasis. It often occurs after heart bypass surgery."

Here's a link to the entire article in case you haven't seen this one yet: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/atelectasis/symptoms-causes/syc-20369684

I know when I had my surgery in 1999, I didn't get out of bed until my fifth and final day in the hospital. The nurses and my gyn/onc kept trying to get me out of bed, to prevent blood clots and breathing issues. They kept making me use a spirometer and had those leg booties on me. Did they make you use the spirometer in the hospital and also send you home with it?

I will be very interested to hear what the end of the story is on this issue!

Once again big congrats on your NED scan!

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Hi Deb 2,

Well, I went to try to change one typo in my post and lost the entire thing, so this one will be shorter.

First, congratulations on the wonderful NED portion of your CT scans!! That is such great news and certainly a cause for celebration!!

On the atelectasis finding, I too saw online that it is commonly related to general anesthesia and surgery, especially abdominal surgery. I found this interesting from the Mayo Clinic's website:

"General anesthesia is a common cause of atelectasis. It changes your regular pattern of breathing and affects the exchange of lung gases, which can cause the air sacs (alveoli) to deflate. Nearly everyone who has major surgery develops some amount of atelectasis. It often occurs after heart bypass surgery."

Here's the link to the above for anyone who wants a little more information: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/atelectasis/symptoms-causes/syc-20369684

I know when I had my surgery in 1999, I didn't get out of bed until my fifth day in the hospital and the nurses and my gyn/onc were pleading with me to get up and walk, both to prevent blood clots and to keep me from developing breathing issues. They were repeatedly making me use the spirometer to keep my lungs functioning properly. Did they encourage you to use a spirometer when you had your surgery and send you home with it also?

I will be very interested to hear what your doctor has to say about the atelectasis finding and whether he thinks your asthma may have played any part in it. I hope there is a quick, easy solution to this issue!

Be well and big congrats!

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 202 Member
    edited January 2022 #29
    Options

Not contacted by insurance company for these services but the medical center that I use is an NCI facility and social workers are assigned to patients if they need them. I was my mom's caregiver for many years before she passed away (stroke) and learned at a younger and pre-cancer age about different legal and medical docs that should be taken care of before you need them so was a step ahead on DNR, living will, advanced directive, POA, etc. Also the hospitals where I have had surgery always asks about these as part of the pre-op check. All good to have. All the best.

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Options

TY Woodstock,

Not a welcone subject to discuss with some. I am sorry for the loss of your Mom. You learned valuable information so young. It has taken me quite awhile at age 71. I am very glad to have completed the Living Will for my state and feel confident in my decisions and the agents I have selected to carry them out. I am glad the insurance company encouraged me and receiving a phone call monthly about my welfare is nice, too.

I am so curious to know if you were at Woodstock?

• Harmanygroves
    Options

No spirometer, but I'm gonna get one, if it's not too late! thx, Moekay!

• woodstock99
    Options

I will be 69 in March so not so young. I was on the way to Woodstock but we never got there. I was working as a summer camp counselor in the Poconos in Pennsylvania and myself and 2 others had heard about this "music festival" that was happening and we had the weekend off so we thought as it was only about 90 miles away that we'd go check it out. We started off but when we crossed into New York the traffic just kept building and if memory serves after about 6 hours we weren't even close and realized we had to turn around and head back. But we had a fun adventure trying and I do have some friends from New Jersey who made it and who actually can be seen the original film for about 10 seconds. Peace and love!

• woodstock99
    Options

Great news! Very happy for you. ❤️

I had a spirometer after a surgery 6 years ago and got another after my hysterectomy in June and also used as directed. I was doing some decluttering a few weeks ago and thought about throwing it out but something made me keep it.

• Forherself
    Options

Good news Lynn, good to hear from you. Today is my 3 1/2 year surgery NED day. Good news to share your day.

• Lyn70
    Options

Woodstock,

You almost made it! That is a story in itself.

I saw the documentary at a Drive In sitting on the hood of my car with a friend. We were pseudo hippies enamored of The Free Love Philosophy but unwilling to quit our jobs and actually be 'going to San Francisco'. The most adventurous we were was traveling to Chicago to see Hair. Full frontal nudity was not seen in St. Louis. Thanks for the groovy flashback!

• Lyn70
    Options

Happy 3.5 year NED day. Pleased to share the day with you, too.

• Harmanygroves
    Options

Hey Lyn! GREAT news! Congrats, you lovely lady! And thanks for the great stories about Woodstock, Woodstock!