Well, this looks different.

Options
Trubrit
Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

It will take a bit of getting used to for this old girl - change comes slow at my age.

What do you think of the new layout for the forum?

Tru

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited December 2021 #2
    Options

Yuck. Really not a fan. I prefer clean, simple, straight forward. But this is the general look that seems to be used. A lot of it from sticky concept - the designs to keep people trapped. I mean engaged ;)

But it seems like the search is a bit better.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited December 2021 #3
    Options

I think they hire lots of young people who know how to "improve" things for people like themselves, but have no idea of the concerns of mature users.

I am completely unimpressed by my first use of the fix for the unbroken system.

I will consider signing off permanently.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options

I don't like this format at all. It looks very cumbersome.

• Annabelle41415
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. I will have a hard time with this format. I've been on other message boards similar to this and didn't use them much.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

With the old format I could scan the post title and the new replies in a matter of minutes to see if there was somewhere I could be of assistance. I do not see that quick-look feature in the new system. It seems like you have to click each title and scan the thread (and remember the posts) to see what is new. I guess this format pleases gen xyz and their cell phones, but it does not initially seem to work for a computer user like me.

• Trubrit
    edited December 2021 #7
    Options

I had to change my avatar, as it was totally lost with this new format. Of course I am hoping you don't 'sign off', or if you do, keep in touch somehow.

• Annabelle41415
    Options

Yes my same reaction about scanning the older posts for new comments. My first post here is one on a meat study from 2019. I'm wondering why that came up. Seems very odd since I've posted many new threads after that. I'm using a laptop and this layout is just not something I'm really interested in. Oh well.

• Trubrit
    Options

I love your honesty, and I love to see you posting.

• Trubrit
    Options

Must also figure out how to stop my email inbox filling up with notifications.

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I simply DO NOT like it !

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

Someone commented on your meat study post today, I think. This boosts it up to the top, but that was the old format also. Sadly, hard to tell which comments are new when you open a topic.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited December 2021 #13
    Options

I want to see how the mentions work @Trubrit 🤣

I do like not having to submit the correct characters when sending a DM

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited December 2021 #14
    Options

Most of the people making these websites have no sense of designs or user interfaces. They are all going with the never ending pages that scroll down. The vast amount of changes are really make-work rather than improvements. I prefer clear and concise. I do not want to spend inordinate amounts of time scrolling or dealing with things that are eye candy basically. The search change and image addition change are nice.

• Trubrit
    Options

Well I guess I'm not as old as I think. I am already warming up to the new format. I am even liking the notifications.

Who woulda guessed!

I don't like the little avatars though. I liked seeing pictures of members, or their avatar choices - still can't make out NewHere's fish though.

Just musing.

Tru

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

Hey Tru, you know me, I just say what I'm thinking. I think someone who doesn't have or has never had cancer thought they were being helpful, probably some young 20 something know it all. It stinks and they can kick rocks. This is hard to follow. You can't even see who made the posts anymore the way you could before and that's the only way to follow what's going on in people's lives and to follow their progress. As a matter of fact, I think "who" is just as important as "what". As you know, I am now NED for 8 years and routing for the whole group to be NED. So NED all around for the new year! I sincerely wish and pray for this every day. I think about everyone often but my stress levels with all my health issues, do not let me come on the boards without a panic attack. I hope one day for that not to be so. Love, Helen

• Trubrit
    Options

It is always good to hear from you, Helen, when you pop back on the forum.

I am sorry to hear about your anxiety, and can totally understand how you need to pick and choose when you visit us, because you know it can get very sad here, and on more occasions than we would like.

NED comes at a price. One which for the most part, we are happy to live with. I was telling a lady cashier at Walmart that I am happy to be alive, against the odds, and if I have to suffer a little - or allot, then so be it. I am more than happy to be here, to see my boys - or be here for them, as one just left for his second tour of Korea (Army).

Like most things, the forum has changed, and we've got to lump it or leave it. I'm hoping people lump; including you.

I am glad you are part of my FB friends group. So, I get to check up on you, once in a while.

Come back here, when you feel up to it, and we will be happy.

Tru

• Trubrit
    Options

I guess I was supposed to hit that tiny little Reply button, but alas I did not see it.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Meh!

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

I find this very confusing, and am avoiding this website now.

The notifications is a good addition, but for me, I prefer the simplicity of the old system.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited December 2021 #21
    Options

Seems like everything's new now, losing the comfortable way of functioning to gain options and more data, as though a constant counter of topics and comments made are some necessary stuff we need to share in each other's journeys. Sandia's point that it is harder to scan, is a valid issue too. The place, by getting bigger, loses some intimacy and much familiarity. Might not be true for future members, but it forces those who come looking for comfort and familiar connections, to re-orient themselves in a ''strange land''.................................Dave