confused...

Options
willie49
willie49 Member Posts: 14 Member

Hello, my mom was diagnosed in September with metastatic cancer -- ovarian to peritoneal.  She was not a candidate for surgery and had one round of chemo, following that the oncologist advised that given her weakened state the option to pursue was palliative management, therefore, no further chemo treatments following the first one.  She is currently living with me and my family.  She had a PleurEx catheter inserted for home drain of ascites.   Here is the confusing part for my family.  Previously, the fluid was building up every 24-48 hours causing pain and discomfort, with this permanent drain the fluid isn't building up nearly as quickly (I suppose that means this treatment method of keeping comfortable is working), however, in a call with the oncologist last week, he told her she had weeks to a couple months remaining, but...in 2 months we have never seen her feel better...her appetite is fantastic, her mobility is better in terms of walking around, she isn't napping nearly as much, so we are confused....how is her current condition indicative of 2 months left???  Are there any similar experiences?  Is this the calm before the storm? 

Comments

• rustyk
    rustyk Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    Options
    Post Chemo Treatment

Hello,

I had a radical hysterctomy in April 2021 followed by 6 cycles of  Adjuvant carbo/taxol my last treatament was October 8th CT Scan clear CA125 went from 4200 pre-surgery to 8 after treatment. My question is that  I'm noticing slight night sweats I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this post treatment if its ones body getting rid of the chemicals or the decline in estrogen levels.   

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    edited November 2021 #3
    Options
    rustyk, if you had a radical

rustyk, if you had a radical hysterectomy it probably threw you in to early menopause which would explain the night sweats.  There is no time line for when they will come/go, etc. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    edited November 2021 #4
    Options
    what a wonderful son you are

what a wonderful son you are, willie49!  Your mom is a statistic of one.  If she feels good and is getting around - go with that.