Liquid Mucinex thru feeding tube?

Options
Larry449
Larry449 Member Posts: 51 Member

Hope I'm doing this right, please bear with me.

I've searched previous posts on this, just can't find the specific answer. I'm 3 sessions from the end of my radiation treatments for cancer at the base of my tongue. My biggest problem with side effects is, like many here, thick, nasty mucus!!

My radiologist suggested Mucinex so I bought the liquid, thinking it'd be easier to swallow. Yeah right! That stuff burns! So here's my question:

Can Mucinex DM max be taken thru a peg tube? If taken thru a peg tube, will it be effective at cutting the mucus?

Has anyone used this? 

I'd like to hear from someone befor I give it a try.

Thanx in advance  

Comments

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will work

Hi Larry!

To answer your question---  Yes, as long as it gets to your stomach, it will be absorbed.

I have a G tube and today I'm on 5th floor of the Cancer Center hospital getting an infusion...

I had the Same exact question concerning Tussin liquid,  the expectorant.     Okay   #1. I am not allowed Any medicines by mouth but #2  I also  wondered if it would even work if put through my G tube??

Answer is yes, it works as it should.

I hope the.Mucinex helps you, Larry.  We all know that effect during and after our radiation treatments.  

Although, nothing much is helping mine now, excect for my Nebulizer breathing treatments.of  Albuterol plus Ipratropium bromide plus sodium chloride.... They don't get rid of it but help me clear it from my lungs. I had Bilateral ( Double Lung ) bacterial Pneumonia in June.... I was here in the hospital 2 floors up..

Hey, You are almost finished your radiation treatments----- How exciting !!!  Congratulations !!  Yay!!! ?

Best to you!!

Crystal

• Larry449
    Options

Yes, it will work

Hi Larry!

To answer your question---  Yes, as long as it gets to your stomach, it will be absorbed.

I have a G tube and today I'm on 5th floor of the Cancer Center hospital getting an infusion...

I had the Same exact question concerning Tussin liquid,  the expectorant.     Okay   #1. I am not allowed Any medicines by mouth but #2  I also  wondered if it would even work if put through my G tube??

Answer is yes, it works as it should.

I hope the.Mucinex helps you, Larry.  We all know that effect during and after our radiation treatments.  

Although, nothing much is helping mine now, excect for my Nebulizer breathing treatments.of  Albuterol plus Ipratropium bromide plus sodium chloride.... They don't get rid of it but help me clear it from my lungs. I had Bilateral ( Double Lung ) bacterial Pneumonia in June.... I was here in the hospital 2 floors up..

Hey, You are almost finished your radiation treatments----- How exciting !!!  Congratulations !!  Yay!!! ?

Best to you!!

Crystal

Mucinex thru feeding tube

Thanks for your very timely respons. Mucus pretty bad today (but encouraging word from my radiation therapist- "All this is short term, you're doing fine" - hope she right!)

I was just getting up off the couch to suffer a shot to my throat, then decided to pick up the ipad to check... and there you are! Gonna give it a try.

I know I'm not the worst case here, but I wasn't ready for this and answers can be hard to find.

Thanx Crystal 

Larry

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,277 Member
    edited August 2021 #4
    Options
    Well Larry Welcome

To the H&N forum the place we end up when we'd rather be someplace else.
    I did some looking around and found that Musinex is absorbed through the intestinal tract so
    putting it in your feeding tube should have the same effect as oral intake.
    This is an excerpt from allnurses.com on this subject in a chat forum-and Guaifenisin is the non-generic name for Mucinex and P.O. means by mouth.
    Guaifenesin is available under the following different brand names: Mucinex, Bidex 400, and Organidin NR.

SORRY some of this overfills the page so you will have to use the sliding bar at the bottom of the page or browser to move it back and forth
    and if looking on a tablet or hone it is easy to slide the page around.

Po is the same as per PEG tube with such meds. You are not getting any absorption in the mouth...the absorption occurs lower in the GI tract. Mucinex po will have the same effects (and has the same route of absorption) as mucinex via a PEG tube.

Guaifenisin is an expectorant, absorbed through the GI tract. P.O. administration is the same as via PEG tube, except in the case of something topical (like Nystatin) that needs to work in the oral cavity.

Simply put: whether a patient swallows a med which then travels to the stomach & subsequent GI tract, or gets a med via PEG or other NG or enteral access which travels to the stomach & subsequent GI tract ... it is the same route of administration.

Here is the link where I got the info and you can read more  https://allnurses.com/cough-syrup-via-peg-tube-t369165/?page=2
    Here is a link to the search I used, you may find more info useful to you  https://www.google.com/search?q=guaifenesin+through+peg+tube&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=NEslYZqYBZ2E9PwPrNisuAo&oq=mucinex+is+it+effective+in+a+feeding+tube&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIHCAAQRxCwAzIHCAAQRxCwAzIHCAAQRxCwAzIHCAAQRxCwAzIHCAAQRxCwA0oECEEYAFAAWABgqYEYaAFwAngAgAGYAYgBmAGSAQMwLjGYAQDIAQXAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

I'll tell you what most of us have used is a mix of water, salt, and baking soda solution and rinse and spit as often as needed
    and that is every hour, every half hour, every 15 minutes whatever keeps it reasonably clear for your situation.
    I rinsed a lot at certain points to stay ahead of it especially before sleeping and slept in a recliner so I was not laying flat and
    getting the thick mucous concentrating in my throat but even then I had several episodes of waking up gagging and having my air cut off
    and it took some work to get it cleared and breathing completely freely again.
    Here is a link from our Superthread page giving you some guidance for a salt & baking soda mix and if you search the net there are more but this mix is fine and if you want you can vary the salt and baking soda a bit to suit you I would think. 
    https://csn.cancer.org/node/264455
    And please check out the Superthread at the top of the page as it is loaded with information but keep in mind some links do not work but most do.

And yes Larry you were doing it right-very good.

Wishing you the best-Take care-God Bless-Russ

• LitlCJdoll
    edited August 2021 #5
    Options
    Larry449 said:

Mucinex thru feeding tube

Thanks for your very timely respons. Mucus pretty bad today (but encouraging word from my radiation therapist- "All this is short term, you're doing fine" - hope she right!)

I was just getting up off the couch to suffer a shot to my throat, then decided to pick up the ipad to check... and there you are! Gonna give it a try.

I know I'm not the worst case here, but I wasn't ready for this and answers can be hard to find.

Thanx Crystal 

Larry

Glad you are here

Dear Larry,

I am very very sorry for the circumstances which bring you here ---- however, my hope is we can help by some small measure .  

The situation is really trying, isn't it?  Are you able to sleep at night? Maybe with the head of the bed elevated ?  That may help a little bit, with the choking at night.  I have a remote controlled adjustable bed at home given to me by the local Cancer Services. Because  I aspirate so badly, leading to pneumonia ...

Lying flat is really difficult isn't it, .  Hoping the Mucinex DM helps overnight, as well.

This site has wonderfully helpful people and you will be hearing from them too !!  Ask any and all questions ...

I have to break here for moment.... Nurse shift change, etc.

Crystal

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Larry

Just be sure to flush/clean your tube after taking the stuff. Good luck.

• Larry449
    edited August 2021 #7
    Options

Glad you are here

Dear Larry,

I am very very sorry for the circumstances which bring you here ---- however, my hope is we can help by some small measure .  

The situation is really trying, isn't it?  Are you able to sleep at night? Maybe with the head of the bed elevated ?  That may help a little bit, with the choking at night.  I have a remote controlled adjustable bed at home given to me by the local Cancer Services. Because  I aspirate so badly, leading to pneumonia ...

Lying flat is really difficult isn't it, .  Hoping the Mucinex DM helps overnight, as well.

This site has wonderfully helpful people and you will be hearing from them too !!  Ask any and all questions ...

I have to break here for moment.... Nurse shift change, etc.

Crystal

Mucinex worked!

Mucinex thru the tube worked fine, actually faster than I'd expected.

Sleep at night? Between choking on mucus, 'should I get up and gargle with salt and soda?' Or... maybe some lidocane on my tongue to make me chok... I mean make it stop burning... then fall to sleep and dream about it.

I tried piling up some pillows but it didn't take long at all to slide back down... I've never been able to sleep on my back so I finally fell to sleep on my side until I had to wake up and wipe my face off with a wash cloth - I guess that's a thing, too. Between 11:00 and 8:30, I maybe got two hours.

So if I can get the right combination - salt/soda rinse. Lidocaine? and maybe some Mucinex just before bed?? Fingers crossed.

Good luck to you, and thanx for the help!

Larry

• Larry449
    Options
    Logan51 said:

Larry

Just be sure to flush/clean your tube after taking the stuff. Good luck.

Mucinex thru the tube

Thanks Logan.

That's one of my concerns with putting anything thru the tube. I've had enough problems with feeding tubes to risk messing one up, but feeding tube problems is another chapter that I hope is behind me!

Larry

• LitlCJdoll
    Options
    Larry449 said:

Mucinex worked!

Mucinex thru the tube worked fine, actually faster than I'd expected.

Sleep at night? Between choking on mucus, 'should I get up and gargle with salt and soda?' Or... maybe some lidocane on my tongue to make me chok... I mean make it stop burning... then fall to sleep and dream about it.

I tried piling up some pillows but it didn't take long at all to slide back down... I've never been able to sleep on my back so I finally fell to sleep on my side until I had to wake up and wipe my face off with a wash cloth - I guess that's a thing, too. Between 11:00 and 8:30, I maybe got two hours.

So if I can get the right combination - salt/soda rinse. Lidocaine? and maybe some Mucinex just before bed?? Fingers crossed.

Good luck to you, and thanx for the help!

Larry

Difficult nights

Hi again Larry,

Yeah, it is tough when the Pain and coughing/ choking/ smothering keep one awake. And you are exactly right that a pile of pillows do not work!  As my doctor told me, it's too easy to end up flat, sleeping... Is there any way to Lift the head of your bed? OR, use one of those Triangular wedges?   As I've heard though, a lot of people just sleep in a Recliner.

With your Mucinex, if it contains a Decongestant , ---the bad news there is that it could cause insomnia if taken at bedtime.  I take Sudafed in the morning, but I cannot take it at night because it Will keep me awake.

So, read the label on that particular Mucinex to see if it will keep you awake. You surely want to sleep, so you can finish those last 3 radiation treatments ?

At night I use the Nystatin rinse, the Mucositis mouthwash ( which contains Nystatin but Crystal needs the double dose)--  and 1,000 mg Tylenol.  And I am so tired that I'm out within minutes. 

I like the baking soda/ salt water rinse too.  It helps the Pain and irritation.  Just stick to a recipe because too much salt will irritate the mouth and you don't need any more of that now!  So, just follow a recipe and mix well. 

And with that one, you are free to use it as often as you need to. Rinse and gargle with it over and over.

It will be a great feeling to finish your treatments this week!!!  ?

Crystal

• Suez39
    Suez39 Member Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Mucinex

Sorry Larry i'm so late on your question. But as the others have said, mucinex can be used through the peg tube. I have been on a FT for 3 yrs now and I use Mucinex many times. It really is a God send for me. Helps bring up that nasty mucus. Thier are many members on this site that can help you if you have quedtions, and get you through your difficult time. My prayers are with you!

God bless,

Suez

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Larry,

I feel for you, as I recall as a Nasopharyngeal (nose) Cancer guy, my nose would get completely blocked, and my mouth would dry out, because of radiation / chemo. I was lucky to get 2 or 3 hours of sleep, due to dry mouth, needing water (and then, needing to get rid of the water, of course.)

I'm glad the Mucinex helped you!

Have you been able to eat or drink anything by mouth, yet - or are you totally dependent on the tube at this time?

As always, I wish you a speedy recovery. I know how tough it is .. but trust me - it gets BETTER! 

MG

• LitlCJdoll
    Options
    Logan51 said:

Great thread for FT info

I bought the Walgreen's brand and poured 20ml down my tube in the late PM, and have noticed a difference in cough productivity. Thx.

A month ago

I answered Larry's question about the Mucinex, over a Month ago.  In fact, I answered it within an hour or so of him asking whether it could be effective with being put through his G tube.  I answered quickly enough that it saved him from taking his Next dose, and burning his throat again taking it by mouth.

He thanked me profusely for saving him that pain.  Notice in my first reply to him that I too had the Same question of taking expectorant and the like, through the G tube -- would they still work, given that way?

And I told him that I found out yes, the medicine is still effective given by that route....

Thus, over a month ago he made the change to using it via G tube route, with my answer

However, he is just recently out of treatment and we know that terrible problem needs industrial strength medicine to help us, at that juncture.  Its a miserable problem, right after treatment ends.

There are prescription meds that might help better, in his situation newly finished from Radiotherapy .

Take care, Larry.

Crystal

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Great thread for FT info

I bought the Walgreen's brand and poured 20ml down my tube in the late PM, and have noticed a difference in cough productivity. Thx.

• Johnjas
    Johnjas Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2021 #14
    Options
    How often do you use the Mucinex/Tussin?

Hello All! i was thrilled to see all the info on mucinex.  I had small cell cancer on one tonsil. Had both tonsils removed and am now on chemo and radiation.  I can't eat, have to use peg tube. i have had 2 3-day series of chemo ( treatment everty 3 weeks)  and 13 ratiation treatments so far

i started using Tussin last night after reading your posts.  I have had five 10 mil doses.  First dose was orally, the rest through peg tube.  Can you take too much?  it was working well until today's radiattion. I feel sick to my stomach everytime I expel the plegm.   I am also using the salt/baking soda recipe. I really like  this.  I was gargling with salt water, but after using the salt/baking recipe, I think I may have been using too much salt---just what I needed-more irritation.     Is there anything that will help dry up the mucus so I don't have to spit it out?  My throat hurs so much that I can't drink or swallow.  Thank you all in advance for any suggestions you can give me.    God bless us all!

• wbcgaruss
    edited September 2021 #15
    Options
    John Here Are Recipes

For the salt/baking soda mixes.
    Rinse as often or as little as needed to deal with thick saliva even the stringy stuff.
    The trick is to stay ahead of it as best you can.
    There are no easy solutions but this will eventually quit.
    You may find it beneficial to sleep in a recliner to keep the thick stuff out of your throat and airway.
    Laying down directs it to the back of your mouth/throat area.
    Even in a recliner I would wake up at times with my air cut off and had to work at getting it cleared out.
    Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Mouth Rinse Recipes to Use During Chemotherapy

Soda and Salt Mouth Rinse

1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup of warm water

Mix well until salt dissolves. Rinse your mouth gently, being careful not to swallow the mixture. Follow this with a plain water rinse to clean out any remaining salt or soda.

Soda Mouth Rinse: A Good Rinse for Before You Eat

1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup of warm water

Mix well to dissolve the baking soda. This is a good rinse to use before and after a meal because it may soothe any mucositis pain you have, making it easier for you to eat well. Swish and spit, but don't swallow this mixture.

Saltwater Mouth Rinse

1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup of warm water

Mix well to dissolve the salt. This saltwater rinse is close to the natural chemistry of your own saliva. This may make mouth sores feel better. Rinse well with plain water to remove excess salt.

Salt and Soda Rinse for Gummy Mouth

Some chemotherapy drugs can increase the acidity in your mouth, leading to thick saliva that can be very annoying. This rinse works well for "gummy mouth."

1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons baking soda
    4 cups of warm water

This rinse will help to neutralize the acid in your mouth and will help dissolve or loosen thick, gummy saliva. Don't drink it, just rinse and spit it out.

Peroxide Rinse for Crusted Sores

If your mouth sores are crusting over, it's important to allow the natural healing process in your body to continue, so a peroxide rinse should be used for no more than two days consecutively.

1 cup hydrogen peroxide
    1 cup water or
    1 cup salt water (1 teaspoon of salt in 4 cups of water)

If you have crusty mouth sores, try using this rinse three or four times a day for two days. Don't use it for more than two days at a time, because it could prevent mucositis from healing.

Use a non-peroxide rinse for two days, before returning to this mixture.

• Johnjas
    Johnjas Member Posts: 2
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

John Here Are Recipes

Rinse as often or as little as needed to deal with thick saliva even the stringy stuff.
    You may find it beneficial to sleep in a recliner to keep the thick stuff out of your throat and airway.
    Even in a recliner I would wake up at times with my air cut off and had to work at getting it cleared out.

1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup of warm water

Mix well until salt dissolves. Rinse your mouth gently, being careful not to swallow the mixture. Follow this with a plain water rinse to clean out any remaining salt or soda.

1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup of warm water

Mix well to dissolve the baking soda. This is a good rinse to use before and after a meal because it may soothe any mucositis pain you have, making it easier for you to eat well. Swish and spit, but don't swallow this mixture.

Saltwater Mouth Rinse

1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup of warm water

Mix well to dissolve the salt. This saltwater rinse is close to the natural chemistry of your own saliva. This may make mouth sores feel better. Rinse well with plain water to remove excess salt.

Some chemotherapy drugs can increase the acidity in your mouth, leading to thick saliva that can be very annoying. This rinse works well for "gummy mouth."

1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 cups of warm water

This rinse will help to neutralize the acid in your mouth and will help dissolve or loosen thick, gummy saliva. Don't drink it, just rinse and spit it out.

If your mouth sores are crusting over, it's important to allow the natural healing process in your body to continue, so a peroxide rinse should be used for no more than two days consecutively.

1 cup hydrogen peroxide
    1 cup water or

If you have crusty mouth sores, try using this rinse three or four times a day for two days. Don't use it for more than two days at a time, because it could prevent mucositis from healing.

Thank you so much for all the information.  I appreciate it!

Take care, 

John

• Russell8
    Russell8 Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

John Here Are Recipes

1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup of warm water

1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup of warm water

Saltwater Mouth Rinse

1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup of warm water

1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 cups of warm water

1 cup hydrogen peroxide
    1 cup water or

Rinses

First post but have been lurking for a few days. Thank you for the rinse recipes. I wish I  knew of it prior to surgery and radiation. Helping now 10 days post radiology

• LitlCJdoll
    Options
    Russell8 said:

Rinses

First post but have been lurking for a few days. Thank you for the rinse recipes. I wish I  knew of it prior to surgery and radiation. Helping now 10 days post radiology

Tell us your story

Hi Russell8,

We welcome you here to the discussions, however I'm sorry you had a reason to seek us out in the first place.I

Please enlighten us and describe your cancer story thus far...  It would be best to perhaps start a new post, and that would bring the most attention to you and your case, so all will be sure to see it.  That way we can better answer any questions.  You are very early out of treatment and I know this is a very difficult, painful time for you.

Take care,

LitlCJdoll

• wbcgaruss
    Options
    Agreed With Crystal

Glad to have you here but sorry you have to be here.
    But it is a great place to be for support for sure.
    I am glad the rinse recipes were such a big help to you.
    Also as Crystal said it would be good to make a new post with a brief description of your cancer discovery and treatment, the type of cancer and staging if possible.
    Also, I was wondering where you had treatment was it at a cancer center or your local hospital, etc.
    Either way, we are here for ya.
    Below are instructions to make a new post if you want.

Below are instructions on how to start a new topic taken directly from the help section at the top right of the page CSN Help.

To post a new discussion topic on a discussion board:

• Log on to your CSN account at www.cancer.org/csn using your username and password; you will be directed to the CSN Home page.

• Click on ‘Discussion boards’ on the left navigation menu or under ‘Connect and Communicate’

• Locate the discussion board of your choice.

• Click the ‘Add new Forum topic’ link at the top of the discussion board page.

• On the ‘Create Forum topic’ page, enter a title into the ‘Subject’ field and your message into the ‘Body’ field.

• Select ‘Preview’ to see your completed message before it is posted.

• To submit your message, select ‘Submit.’

• When you select ‘Submit’ the message will be posted on the discussion board of your choice.