Chemotherapy

I was recently diagnoseed with a recurrence of uterine cancer, though I no longer have a uterus of any other women's reproductive parts. Those were all removed in a total hysterectomy after my first cancer diagnosis in July 2019. I have been recommended for a "sandwich" therapy of chemo then radiation then chemo again. Had my first chemo ten days ago. It really wiped me out. My next infusion session is another week and a half away.

I would like to know more about peoples' experiences with chemo and what to expect and how to minimize side effects. For example, I overheard someone talking about ice mitts to prevent neuropathy. What exactly does that mean? Wear the mitts during chemo? The whole time or part time? Do I want mitts with fingers exposed or do I want my fingers to be iced too? I hope someone can tell me something!

Comments

• Urnmywy
    Urnmywy Member Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2021 #2
    Fingers

Wearing cold gloves or ice mits available on Amazon during treatment only helps prevent nerve damage causing nueropothy. It's like the cold cap I wear from Paxman.... keeps the cutical so cold & tightly closed that the drug can't penetrate & cause damage. Hope this helps. I took a CBD tincture to help ward of neuropathy & it worked

• VG
    VG Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2021 #3
    A couple of tips

Hello,

So sorry to hear about your recurrence. I bought some cannabis balm for my mom and it helped alleviate some nerve pain she had. Also, if you start expeiencing mouth sores depending on your treatment plan - you could try swishing ice chips during chemo to help mitigate the burns but like I said just check on that with a professional as it does not work in all cases depending on the medicine being used. Take care.

-VG

• MomCat6
    MomCat6 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2021 #4
    Mouth sores

I have heard others mention mouth sores. What causes those? I have been doing chemo and will be doing radiation soon. 

• Karen Kay
    Karen Kay Member Posts: 1
    ice gloves and footies

I've had bc twice and used ice gloves and footies both times, but just during certain infusions (taxol and taxotere). My infusion lab in San Antonio provided them. I have no neuropathy at all, but I had one of the few doctors who believed in them. You can buy them and take them yourself, I think, if your dr doesn't provide them, but you'd have to keep them in an ice chest until you need them. Supposedly it keeps those drugs from going to your extremities where the neuropathy can occur. The second cancer bout, I was hoping to go to a closer doctor but couldn't find anyone who would use them, so we made the 8 hr roundtrips to San Antonio. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

• Staypositive1971
    Staypositive1971 Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2021 #6
    Urnmywy said:

Fingers

Wearing cold gloves or ice mits available on Amazon during treatment only helps prevent nerve damage causing nueropothy. It's like the cold cap I wear from Paxman.... keeps the cutical so cold & tightly closed that the drug can't penetrate & cause damage. Hope this helps. I took a CBD tincture to help ward of neuropathy & it worked

Thank you

Can you explain more of this Id like to know for my dad if he decides to get chemo.