Options
124»

Comments

• Mattie65
    Mattie65 Member Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    PipLily said:

Hello Mattie.....

just wanted to check in to encourage you to hang in there! You are on the home stretch, but very much in the thick of things. The point where it seems things may never get better. But they do! My husband is 6 months post treatment, and doing very well. He even enjoyed a chocolate stout last night while we played cards! I can’t imagine the strength it must take to go this road alone. It’s wonderful you have this forum to help you along. Plus the cat! We are cat lovers also, and have two. Pip and Lily ~ thus, my screen name LOL. Continue to get your calories and protein in, and just give in to your body and sleep when you can. But I would also encourage you to do even a short bit of walking or exercise every day. Even for just a few minutes if that’s all you can do. If nothing else, I think it’s good mentally. There were days I pushed for my husband to get outside for just a 10 minute walk. You are at the end, and even though for a period of time after radiation ends, it still feels like you’re going through it, you will begin to heal! 

Hey PipLilly

I've never heard of a Chocolate Stout, even though I've been working at Irish bars for years, but I sure would love to try one soon enough. Right now, I'm hanging in there. Second day out of radiations and I feel tired, most of the time. Calorie drinks have become such a drag. I only managed four yesterday, but that's okay. There's one of these days every week. I'm on course to get my 7 drinks today, which add up to 2100 kcal. It seems a bit endless, right now, but I know it's not. Doc said the worst days would be around Christmas, so, he might be right. Besides, I'm still quite okay. Looking forward to all the good things I can eat and drink when things get close to normal again.

Going for a walk or riding my bicycle is part of my everyday routines. It's very important to get some fresh air. Can't do much more, though. Even playing the guitar is too much exercise, right now. The cat is happy to hang out with me all day. Specially after almost a month of absence when I was hospitalized. I'm just happy to be on the way out of this mess. :)

• PipLily
    PipLily Member Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mattie65 said:

Hey PipLilly

I've never heard of a Chocolate Stout, even though I've been working at Irish bars for years, but I sure would love to try one soon enough. Right now, I'm hanging in there. Second day out of radiations and I feel tired, most of the time. Calorie drinks have become such a drag. I only managed four yesterday, but that's okay. There's one of these days every week. I'm on course to get my 7 drinks today, which add up to 2100 kcal. It seems a bit endless, right now, but I know it's not. Doc said the worst days would be around Christmas, so, he might be right. Besides, I'm still quite okay. Looking forward to all the good things I can eat and drink when things get close to normal again.

Going for a walk or riding my bicycle is part of my everyday routines. It's very important to get some fresh air. Can't do much more, though. Even playing the guitar is too much exercise, right now. The cat is happy to hang out with me all day. Specially after almost a month of absence when I was hospitalized. I'm just happy to be on the way out of this mess. :)

Hi Mattie!

How are you doing?? Lol.....a chocolate stout is a dark, heavy  beer with a lot of chocolate and coffee undertones. But I really, probably, have no idea what I’m talking about, because I’m a wine gal. Not too much into beer!! Hope you are doing great! Each day will be better and better!

• Cornflakes69
    Cornflakes69 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2021 #64
    Options
    Hi Mattie

I found that after a couple of weeks of radiation treatment I could no longer eat so I drank Boost protein drink and that got me through without getting a feeding tube.

• tktktk
    tktktk Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2021 #65
    Options

Hello Mattie,

Hello Mattie,

I haven't yet started my radiation but as I was researching upcoming effects I came acrooss this for what its worth. Maybe theres something in this list you haven't yet seen. Good luck.

• Many foods, including meat and poultry, taste better if they are served cold or at room temperature instead of hot.
    • Eggs often taste good when the taste for meat is lost.
    • Fresh fruits and vegetables, pasta dishes, and milk products are often well tolerated.
    • Fruit sorbet, sherbet, and fruit smoothies usually taste good.
    • Tart foods with more distinctive tastes may be added to foods to help cover the metallic taste. Try adding orange, lime, or lemon juice or orange marmalade to fruit salad, salsa, sauces for pork or chicken, stir-fried or cooked vegetables, and oil-based salad dressing. Add vinegar, lemon juice, or pickles to creamy dressings for potato, macaroni, tuna, egg, or cole slaw salads. Lemon juice added to chicken broth, broth-based soup, gazpacho, or guacamole enhances the flavor.
    • Peel carrots before eating or cooking. This eliminates the bitterness that is quite noticeable to some people and makes them avoid eating carrots altogether. Try the "baby" carrots available in the produce section that are already peeled and cut.
    • If you do not have sores in your mouth, try using horseradish or any of the flavored mustards, such as Dijon, honey, sweet and sour, etc., to add flavor to your sandwiches and other foods.
    • Fruit juice popsicles often taste good. Make your own popsicles with your favorite juice flavors.
    • Rinse your mouth with fruit juice, wine, tea, ginger ale, club soda, or salted water before eating. This will help clear your taste buds.
    • You can sometime get rid of the strange taste in your mouth by eating foods that leave their own taste in your mouth, such as fresh fruit or hard candy. Suck on lemon drops or mints or chew gum after eating to get rid of the undesirable tastes that linger.
    • Try marinating meat or poultry in fruit juice, wine, vinegar-based salad dressing, or other sauces for more taste.
    • Experiment with spices and herbs. Some people find they like spicier foods at this time.
    • Experiment with new foods. Try foods or cuisines you may not have tried before.
    • If you are not neutropenic, eat out in restaurants that feature buffets. You can try small amounts of a variety of food without having to prepare it yourself.
    • Check with your dentist to rule out dental problems causing bad taste. Care for your mouth and teeth to prevent dental caries.
    Who wrote this list? A doctor?

Sorry, it just makes me laugh b/c it just sounds like more wishful thinking than reality.

Like when they say it gets worse for 2 weeks post-radiation, when in actuality, it can get worse for months post!