Eating during radiation treatment

Options

Comments

• Mattie65
    Mattie65 Member Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

Do The Best You Can

Many have been at the critical point where you are. I am rooting for you and praying for you. Concentrate on only necessary things. Eating, sufficient calorie intake, rest, and getting your treatment in each day. Just concentrate on getting these last 7 in one at a time day to day and think of the goal that after this it is over and you can be in complete recovery mode and rest mode. Best wishes-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

Thank you, wbcgaruss

This means a lot to me. I'm glad there's the weekends when my body can recover just a tiny bit. It's only five days and then another two days, now. Then, as you say, I can finally go into complete recovery. There's still a lot of work ahead, as I have to actively care about my lockjaw because, as I read, the worst part can come months after radiation. I was never very disciplined in my life and now it has become vital if I want to stay healthy, keep my teeth, etc. As a friendly polish nurse said to me "Forget your former life. It is the past. Look ahead. All that matters is there."

• LASNYDER
    LASNYDER Member Posts: 15 Member
    edited December 2020 #43
    Options
    Glad I found this thread

Hi Mattie 65 I just finished reading the entire thread you started. I have 8 treatments left out of 35 and cannot wait to get to the healing process. I am on a smoothie diet at this time since food tastes so bad. I could probably tolerate bland food but how bad everything tastes is ridiculous- gag reflex bad. My throat has become so sore to swallow even water that I find each day just a process of trying to drink and eat enough. Im down about 15 lbs since starting the treatments. I have found that in a ninja smoothie blender I can make a tolerable smoothie. 1 box pure protein vanilla, half cup 2% milk some ice and a huge dollop of vanilla or chocolate penut butter hagan daz ice cream. Ice cream just for calories. Occassionally throw a half a bananna in as well. I try to shove down past my onfire throat 3 times a day. Its keeping my weight loss on a slow decline but am still losing. Last Cispaltin chemo is on Dec 16th, last radiation on dec 22nd then home to heal. If I can get my throat pain to subside I will be able to handle the terrible food tastes for a while. Crazy thing is food still smells wonderful! but wow does it taste like #&^%. The social aspect of not being able to speak above a whisper and the food aversion is tough during the holidays but it's 2020 and will be behind us soon. I hope we both get our sesnse of taste back soon, let me know if you find a miracle food to eat I am still searching.

Larry

• BeagleDad
    BeagleDad Member Posts: 108 Member
    edited December 2020 #44
    Options
    LASNYDER said:

Glad I found this thread

Hi Mattie 65 I just finished reading the entire thread you started. I have 8 treatments left out of 35 and cannot wait to get to the healing process. I am on a smoothie diet at this time since food tastes so bad. I could probably tolerate bland food but how bad everything tastes is ridiculous- gag reflex bad. My throat has become so sore to swallow even water that I find each day just a process of trying to drink and eat enough. Im down about 15 lbs since starting the treatments. I have found that in a ninja smoothie blender I can make a tolerable smoothie. 1 box pure protein vanilla, half cup 2% milk some ice and a huge dollop of vanilla or chocolate penut butter hagan daz ice cream. Ice cream just for calories. Occassionally throw a half a bananna in as well. I try to shove down past my onfire throat 3 times a day. Its keeping my weight loss on a slow decline but am still losing. Last Cispaltin chemo is on Dec 16th, last radiation on dec 22nd then home to heal. If I can get my throat pain to subside I will be able to handle the terrible food tastes for a while. Crazy thing is food still smells wonderful! but wow does it taste like #&^%. The social aspect of not being able to speak above a whisper and the food aversion is tough during the holidays but it's 2020 and will be behind us soon. I hope we both get our sesnse of taste back soon, let me know if you find a miracle food to eat I am still searching.

Larry

LASNYDER - sounds icky!

I start tx 1-7-21.  Am still healing from tors and neck dissection.  I'm interested in your rad levels.  Doc said I'll be doing 60/54.  Are you able to use Magic Mouthwash for your throat pain?  Were you able to find ANYTHING that helped?  Pain meds, etc?  Right now I am still on NG tube since my tors also included partial pharyngectomy so I will be meeting with SLP to learn to swallow again ..hopefully will manage soft foods well before rads cause their serious issues.  I am not concerend about weight loss; I am concerned about losing esophagus functions so I know I will HAVE to force stuff down the throat during tx.  I am still at 30% bmi and am likely to start TX at 28-30% so I can "afford" 20-25# given my starting weight.  And if I can get soft foods down soonI will gain more weight prior.  Thanks for your info.  Wishing you good fortune on your last 8!

Don (Beagledad)

• Mattie65
    Options
    LASNYDER said:

Glad I found this thread

Larry

Nice you dropped by, Larry

Unfortunately, you're obviously worse off than I am and I'm very sorry to hear that. At least, my throat isn't burning and sore. Only swollen which, at the end of a radiation week, makes me feel sick. I felt very sick on Friday, but the weekend was a real relief, and I'm ready for the last lap, now.

I'm amazed that you can tolerate anything with peanut butter taste. I had a craving for that a week ago but found out that peanut butter was among the things that tasted worst. Perhaps the combination with the ice cream. I didn't dare to try ice cream yet because I got a bit paranoid about my teeth, feeling like anything sugary would instantly burn holes in them like acid dripping on copper sheets.

I am lucky, at this point, to have been prescribed only radiation and no chemo. I think it's the combination of those that causes the most mouth sores. I don't know which criteria lead to either choice to apply or not apply chemo, as some patients seem to get Cisplatin although their cancer is only local, and also HPV+, others, like myself, don't — even though I had quite a large tumour.

I can also smell the increasingly wonderful smells of foods but the taste is quite different. I made it a habit to smell every calorie drink or smoothie for a while, before I swallow them. This way, I imagine I can somehow keep some of the taste in memory while I do so, and try not to breathe while I drink, so that the smell remains. Of course, the aftertaste will erase that and linger on for hours.

My biggest concern, at the moment, is that trismus. I know, I have to work against it by doing daily stretching exercises. At the same time, I just want to relax and it costs me quite an effort to do anything that isn't either pleasant or instantly rewarding. Jaw exercises are painful and frustrating. Nevertheless, I read that we all should do them, as 70% of SCC patients are in danger of getting trismus, even months after treatment.

• LASNYDER
    Options
    BeagleDad said:

LASNYDER - sounds icky!

I start tx 1-7-21.  Am still healing from tors and neck dissection.  I'm interested in your rad levels.  Doc said I'll be doing 60/54.  Are you able to use Magic Mouthwash for your throat pain?  Were you able to find ANYTHING that helped?  Pain meds, etc?  Right now I am still on NG tube since my tors also included partial pharyngectomy so I will be meeting with SLP to learn to swallow again ..hopefully will manage soft foods well before rads cause their serious issues.  I am not concerend about weight loss; I am concerned about losing esophagus functions so I know I will HAVE to force stuff down the throat during tx.  I am still at 30% bmi and am likely to start TX at 28-30% so I can "afford" 20-25# given my starting weight.  And if I can get soft foods down soonI will gain more weight prior.  Thanks for your info.  Wishing you good fortune on your last 8!

Don (Beagledad)

Beagledad answer

So I am receiving IMRT radiation at the Unversity of Florida Proton Center in Jacksonville. Technician said my radiation level is 6MV whatever that means. We actually live 4.5 hours away in Destin Florida so just rented a small apartment for the 6 week treatments. My Cancer is pretty small about the size of a strawberry and it sits just below and attached to my vocal cords. It is surgically impossible to reach it easily thus the radiation and chemo. I had a small cancer that originally developed on my vocal cord back in 2013. I had it removed surgically at moffit cancer center and was cancer free for 6 years until 2019 when it returned. 

Weight Managent- I purposely gained 10 pound prior to all this knowing weight loss would be an issue. I have lost about 13 pounds over the past 5 weeks. Not a hugh concern unless  the throat pain continues for month after treatment stop. 

The first 2 weeks of radiation and chemo were a non event. No side effects at all. Middle of 3rd week all taste dissappeared in one day and was followed by sore throat- vocal cord area.  Enjoy all the food you can now! Binge on steak, chips whatever. You may not lose taste but be prepared for it.

I have tried the magic mouthwash and its not really effective for the pain thats deep in my vocal cord area. Thank GOD I have not gotten the sores in my mouth, dodged that bullet so far. 

Part of my team here is a speech pathologist who gave me swallowing exercises and tongue exercises. I did those for several weeks right up to the pain setting in. IT was suppose to strengthen my esophagus to help when things went bad. 

Dr gave me a bottle of 5mg Oxycoden quick dissolve pills that work very well at really taking the edge off but I am reluctant to take them except when I really need. THe side effects and possible addiction issues are possibly not worth it. 

Ninja make a great smoothie blender and I can add a protein bar to the mix and it just dissappears as part of the meal. https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-SS351-Smoothie-Processor-smartTORQUE/dp/B08C41Q414/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Ninja+SS351&qid=1607966732&s=home-garden&sr=1-1

other blenders I have tried can't come close to making a truly smooth drink like this one. Use the built in smoothie cup to make and serve. 

Feel free to keep in touch.

Larry

• LASNYDER
    Options
    Mattie65 said:

Nice you dropped by, Larry

Unfortunately, you're obviously worse off than I am and I'm very sorry to hear that. At least, my throat isn't burning and sore. Only swollen which, at the end of a radiation week, makes me feel sick. I felt very sick on Friday, but the weekend was a real relief, and I'm ready for the last lap, now.

I'm amazed that you can tolerate anything with peanut butter taste. I had a craving for that a week ago but found out that peanut butter was among the things that tasted worst. Perhaps the combination with the ice cream. I didn't dare to try ice cream yet because I got a bit paranoid about my teeth, feeling like anything sugary would instantly burn holes in them like acid dripping on copper sheets.

I am lucky, at this point, to have been prescribed only radiation and no chemo. I think it's the combination of those that causes the most mouth sores. I don't know which criteria lead to either choice to apply or not apply chemo, as some patients seem to get Cisplatin although their cancer is only local, and also HPV+, others, like myself, don't — even though I had quite a large tumour.

I can also smell the increasingly wonderful smells of foods but the taste is quite different. I made it a habit to smell every calorie drink or smoothie for a while, before I swallow them. This way, I imagine I can somehow keep some of the taste in memory while I do so, and try not to breathe while I drink, so that the smell remains. Of course, the aftertaste will erase that and linger on for hours.

My biggest concern, at the moment, is that trismus. I know, I have to work against it by doing daily stretching exercises. At the same time, I just want to relax and it costs me quite an effort to do anything that isn't either pleasant or instantly rewarding. Jaw exercises are painful and frustrating. Nevertheless, I read that we all should do them, as 70% of SCC patients are in danger of getting trismus, even months after treatment.

Trismus- yikes

I was warned about Trismus and as of yet have not had that particular issue. Hope it stays away. Was home this weekend and neighbor brought homemade Gumbo over. OMG it smelled so amazing, didnt bother even trying it with all the spices and heat going on in it but I will dream until I can swallow chunky food again. 

I wish I could tell you weather its the chemo or the radiation that is causing me the worst side effects. Im 56 and in relatively good shape. Generally can work around the house all day and not be winded. While home this weekend I had to dig a small hole to fix a sprinkler pipe that broke. Whole job too about 15 minutes. At the end of it I was exhausted, sweaty and shaky. I hope that goes away soon also. 

• Mattie65
    edited December 2020 #48
    Options
    LASNYDER said:

Trismus- yikes

I was warned about Trismus and as of yet have not had that particular issue. Hope it stays away. Was home this weekend and neighbor brought homemade Gumbo over. OMG it smelled so amazing, didnt bother even trying it with all the spices and heat going on in it but I will dream until I can swallow chunky food again. 

I wish I could tell you weather its the chemo or the radiation that is causing me the worst side effects. Im 56 and in relatively good shape. Generally can work around the house all day and not be winded. While home this weekend I had to dig a small hole to fix a sprinkler pipe that broke. Whole job too about 15 minutes. At the end of it I was exhausted, sweaty and shaky. I hope that goes away soon also. 

I'm around the same age

55 and quite fit. Doing stuff around the apartment takes longer for me too, right now, but I stay in motion as much as I can. Drive to the rad sessions by bike, try to stay on my toes.

Today, I noticed that, after two weeks of calorie drinks, my energy and shape had decreased. Read an article that the quality of those drinks was allegedly rather bad and that some people got sick from them. Same thing with PEG food. I was on PEG for weeks and it's true that my weight and energy had been going downhill during that time. So, today, I decided to switch to self-made "smoothies". I'm still not sure of what a smoothie really is. In my time, the closest thing was probably a milk shake. Mixed some nuts and sunflower seeds and bananas and yoghurt with milk and voila: my very own energetic calorie drink. Had two large glasses. What shall I say? It didn't taste worse than anything I had tried those last weeks. Certainly better than some of those. But it felt a lot more like actual food.

One certain thing about those industrial calorie drinks is that they contain a lot of glucoses, which is very unhealthy if one has lymphedema, like I do.

The lesson learned: more ready-made means less quality control. Changing that, right now. Need to feed myself some real food again, already.

Tomorrow, I might try to make a good, fresh veggie juice for myself.

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    PEG food

I've been FT-dependent since 8/6/2019, with a typical diet of 4-Jevities and 1-Boost VHC/day, and doing okay, Mattie. Gained 11 lbs. on the same stuff, but pouring more down my FT each day for a couple months. Did you get the long G-tube? I got no clue what your earlier post about the clamps is about. I have one clamp. Had the same type of FT over 11 years ago for 17-months, and no problem. 16+-months for this one, and counting, without a problem. Did you get a button FT? I have a picture of mine on my Expressions page. Take a look and see if you had the same kind, please. Several people on this Forum think FTs are terrible and can cause significant issues. Well, I'm stuck with having to have one for what remains in my life, and so far so good.

• Mattie65
    edited December 2020 #50
    Options
    Logan51 said:

PEG food

I've been FT-dependent since 8/6/2019, with a typical diet of 4-Jevities and 1-Boost VHC/day, and doing okay, Mattie. Gained 11 lbs. on the same stuff, but pouring more down my FT each day for a couple months. Did you get the long G-tube? I got no clue what your earlier post about the clamps is about. I have one clamp. Had the same type of FT over 11 years ago for 17-months, and no problem. 16+-months for this one, and counting, without a problem. Did you get a button FT? I have a picture of mine on my Expressions page. Take a look and see if you had the same kind, please. Several people on this Forum think FTs are terrible and can cause significant issues. Well, I'm stuck with having to have one for what remains in my life, and so far so good.

Hey Logan

Please have patience with me. I know I'm not very coherent at the moment. I'm in a state where I face challenges I never asked for, and I'm doing this alone — or almost, as far as friends or family go.

My first PEG was installed in a rush and the four little clamps that are designed to hold it in place exerted some excessive pressure on the area where they were placed. After a few days, the whole area was painfully infected and the PEG had to be removed in a rush. I opted not to have a new one for as long as possible.

As to PEG food, it's indeed very practical. I'm mainly a bit sceptical about the calorie drinks at the moment, as I kept getting weaker despite the 2100-2400 daily Kcal I ingested while I was solely living on them. I think that combining self-made "smoothies" and juices with them might be the way. Those drinks made my stomach feel empty, even when I seemingly had enough of them.

I'm still trying to find my way in all this. Like everyone here, I was never trained for these challenges, and like many, I'm probably the worst person when it comes to handling this. I jump to conclusions, am a prey to panic just as much as to false confidence, sceptical towards things I shouldn't be, and vice-versa.

The type of feeding tube I had was one that was attached from the outside, with the help of sewing thread.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited December 2020 #51
    Options
    Mattie65 said:

Hey Logan

Please have patience with me. I know I'm not very coherent at the moment. I'm in a state where I face challenges I never asked for, and I'm doing this alone — or almost, as far as friends or family go.

My first PEG was installed in a rush and the four little clamps that are designed to hold it in place exerted some excessive pressure on the area where they were placed. After a few days, the whole area was painfully infected and the PEG had to be removed in a rush. I opted not to have a new one for as long as possible.

As to PEG food, it's indeed very practical. I'm mainly a bit sceptical about the calorie drinks at the moment, as I kept getting weaker despite the 2100-2400 daily Kcal I ingested while I was solely living on them. I think that combining self-made "smoothies" and juices with them might be the way. Those drinks made my stomach feel empty, even when I seemingly had enough of them.

I'm still trying to find my way in all this. Like everyone here, I was never trained for these challenges, and like many, I'm probably the worst person when it comes to handling this. I jump to conclusions, am a prey to panic just as much as to false confidence, sceptical towards things I shouldn't be, and vice-versa.

The type of feeding tube I had was one that was attached from the outside, with the help of sewing thread.

I Have Never Had or Heard of A

Feeding tube like you had but they do things a little differently everywhere. Here is a video of how the PEG tube is inserted that I believe a lot of us had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atQGkK0zW2s

Then you have a tube protruding from your belly about 6-8 inches long and they usually have 2 inlets with caps on. If you click on Logans name under his picture it will take you to his personal page and click on expressions and at the bottom click on My FT and that is the configuration of the tube. By the way, I like your new picture as the old one made you look grouchy but maybe you are after all who can go through the treatment you are going through and not be a little grouchy. Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Mattie65 said:

Hey Logan

Mat,

If you can keep taking calories by mouth, you're probably better off. Remember, during treatment, your body is working overtime to heal up. It can take more out of you than you expect!

Be patient with yourself, and understand it's a challenge for everyone - AND you'll get past it!

Hang in there...

mg

• Mattie65
    edited December 2020 #53
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

I Have Never Had or Heard of A

Feeding tube like you had but they do things a little differently everywhere. Here is a video of how the PEG tube is inserted that I believe a lot of us had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atQGkK0zW2s

Then you have a tube protruding from your belly about 6-8 inches long and they usually have 2 inlets with caps on. If you click on Logans name under his picture it will take you to his personal page and click on expressions and at the bottom click on My FT and that is the configuration of the tube. By the way, I like your new picture as the old one made you look grouchy but maybe you are after all who can go through the treatment you are going through and not be a little grouchy. Take Care-God Bless-Russ

I will look at the images

I'm a bit slow at the moment. These last rad sessions are really taking a toll on me, even though I'm very lucky in terms of side effects. Nevertheless: terribly tired, burnt skin, appetite loss … really struggling to keep my otherwise hard-to-shatter good mood.

About the image: I chose it for the exact reason you mention: the other one looks rather grouchy. All these images were taken pre-op.

• Mattie65
    edited December 2020 #54
    Options

Mat,

If you can keep taking calories by mouth, you're probably better off. Remember, during treatment, your body is working overtime to heal up. It can take more out of you than you expect!

Be patient with yourself, and understand it's a challenge for everyone - AND you'll get past it!

Hang in there...

mg

Thanks, motorcycleguy

It helps a lot while a go through that last week that really feels like the end lap of a marathon, when I'm just dragging my aching body towards the finishing line.

In my hardest time, at the hospital, I told myself: this is my challenge to become a superhero. It's stupid but it works.

• LASNYDER
    Options
    Mattie65 said:

Thanks, motorcycleguy

It helps a lot while a go through that last week that really feels like the end lap of a marathon, when I'm just dragging my aching body towards the finishing line.

In my hardest time, at the hospital, I told myself: this is my challenge to become a superhero. It's stupid but it works.

Great new picture

Hey Mattie like the new picture. My wife has a saying I have been trying to live by"fake it till ya make it". Not long from today we will both be through this. Im sitting in my comfy chemo chair as I write this. LAST ONE!! Have 6 more radiations and then home to heal. I am bound and determined to figure out how to eat enough to avoid the tube and control this pain. Saw dr this morning and he is switching me to a pain patch I wear on my arm for 72 hours then replace. He also is perscribing me some steroids to try and alleviate the swelling/pain in my throat. Praying that I can eat enough to keep the weight on or at a slight loss.

Just finding this bulliten board has helped my mental state knowing I am not alone. Love my docs but at the end of the day they go home, drink a glass of wine and just go to bed. I look forward to those days soon and I will appreciate them more than I did in the past. Have a great afternoon- one more day almost behind you. 

• Mattie65
    edited December 2020 #56
    Options
    LASNYDER said:

Great new picture

Hey Mattie like the new picture. My wife has a saying I have been trying to live by"fake it till ya make it". Not long from today we will both be through this. Im sitting in my comfy chemo chair as I write this. LAST ONE!! Have 6 more radiations and then home to heal. I am bound and determined to figure out how to eat enough to avoid the tube and control this pain. Saw dr this morning and he is switching me to a pain patch I wear on my arm for 72 hours then replace. He also is perscribing me some steroids to try and alleviate the swelling/pain in my throat. Praying that I can eat enough to keep the weight on or at a slight loss.

Just finding this bulliten board has helped my mental state knowing I am not alone. Love my docs but at the end of the day they go home, drink a glass of wine and just go to bed. I look forward to those days soon and I will appreciate them more than I did in the past. Have a great afternoon- one more day almost behind you. 

Thanks, appreciate.

Right now, I'm crawling through that last lap. I know, I had too little calories yesterday. I absolutely want to stay off the feeding tube, but of course, if no other option remains, I'll have one inserted. My weight is quite stable at 64-65 kg. I'm 1,85 m, so that's quite close to the minimum I should keep. I've been down to 55 kg due to a serious burnt-out in 2005 but that was quite dangerous back then. I thought today that perhaps, I should ask my doctor about a nutrition specialist.

You're really lucky to have such a witty, caring wife by your side.I'm quite used to living alone with a cat, but these days, I could really use that extra care. But okay. I'll see for that when I'm back on my feet and I've rebuilt the part of my life, that crumbled during these last years. I was actually well on my way, when cancer came crushing in.

The board helps me a lot to maintain my mental state. I have friends. I think even excellent ones, but they're not ready for such an intensity, and I can see they try to keep it normal, talking to me exclusively about electric guitars, their pets, their kids' quirkiness, and everything we usually discuss, while hardly ever asking me about my journey through that treatment. I believe they think they have to take my mind from the subject, while I actually really need to empty my bag. So, this place is a gift. Friends often want to give advice, and mine are sensible enough to know they can't, really.

At this point, I just count the days and look at projections of myself in the future, when I regained my strength, when I can eat and savour my meals. I'm aware it's going to be different forever. I'm specially concerned with teeth issues, that seem very hard to control. Still have most of mine. Very hard for me to brush them thoroughly at the moment, because the swelling in my throat makes me gag and even throw up. I hope that will get better soon after rads ended. I can't even wear the trays at the moment because I gag so easily, but I read that the critical time for teeth care is yet to come. From the lack of soreness and rash in my mouth, I deduct that, apparently, bacterial infection doesn't seem to be a worry right now. Hope it's true.

• LASNYDER
    edited December 2020 #57
    Options
    your right

my close friends reach out often but unless they ask I dont bore them with the details. It's Christams and I assume people just want to tray and stay as upbeat as they can especiily in light of covid19. Cancer treatments are a huge deal to me but to them it's just something I will have to power through. When complete I may actully join a local support group for similar cancer paitents to help them understand what to expect. The first 3 weeks of treatment are a walk in the park compared to the last 3.

I have had no issues with teeth, went to the dentist for a full checkup before starting this journey as i heard having any major dental work done after can be a challenge. I dont have the gag reflex that you seem to be suffering so I am able to brush my teeth several times a day. My Dr prescribed a Fentanyal patch for me yesterday and I will put it on today. It's my hope that it will negate the pain of swallowing so I can get a modicum of relief, drink my smooties and drink water. 

Its funny all the differnt side effects of all this and how one person experiences their group of them and others another. It's my hope that when I finish next tuesdy that within 7-14 days after some natural curing will take effect. 

• Mattie65
    edited December 2020 #58
    Options
    Also had a full check-up and

Also had a full check-up and some repairs done before radiations. Also, a teeth cleaning. I'm a bit paranoid with my teeth because they caused me a lot of trouble in the past and I had just reached a point when everything was done and fine and repaired, four implants installed. Then came this cancer with the announcement, from my doctor, that my teeth would be in great danger and might not survive the treatment or its aftermath.

For me, the first three weeks were everything else than a walk in the park. After expecting a rather minor operation, I woke up in ICU with a plastered arm, belly bandages and sick as hell. They found out it was a huge tumour as they went. Until then, everyone just thought it would be a tonsil removal and a few nodes, but no more. So the next three weeks were quite terrible. I was on intravenous food for 2 weeks, the rest on regular feeding tube, highly depressed and anxious. Life in hospital isn't my thing at all.

Of course, the big difference is that in hospital, you tend to get better, while during radiation, you get worse. Right now, I'm really exhausted. Missed an appointment this morning because I just fell asleep  again, hardly capable of starting the day. I try to drink those calorie drinks, so, at least, I can give my body a chance to gather some energy. Half my throat is swollen to the point that I gag at any occasion. Still four sessions to go. Should be a breeze, but I'm crawling to the finishing line.

On top of that, I found out yesterday that the very small changing rooms at the radiation clinic don't get cleaned after each visitor, by noticing there were feces on the seat. I called a person who works there and asked if they didn't wipe the place after each patient. They said they didn't have the resources. Great. Now, I'm even disgusted to go there. Luckily, it'll be over by monday.

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    edited December 2020 #59
    Options
    Hi Mattie

...and welcome.  Sorry I'm late to the party.  It sounds like you're really in the thick of things now.  Sorry you have to deal with your clinic's disgusting lack of cleanliness. That's awful. Hopefully you're in the back stretch now and closing in on the finish line.  But the week or so after finishing is probably the worst of it all, so be prepared.  Then suddenly, the sun will [figuratively] come out and you'll be on the mend.

Best wishes to you!

• Mattie65
    edited December 2020 #60
    Options
    ERomanO said:

Hi Mattie

...and welcome.  Sorry I'm late to the party.  It sounds like you're really in the thick of things now.  Sorry you have to deal with your clinic's disgusting lack of cleanliness. That's awful. Hopefully you're in the back stretch now and closing in on the finish line.  But the week or so after finishing is probably the worst of it all, so be prepared.  Then suddenly, the sun will [figuratively] come out and you'll be on the mend.

Best wishes to you!

Good to know

Thanks for briefing me on the weeks to come, ERomanO. I'm all about being prepared and very little into false expectancies. One good thing about the weeks to come will be that I won't have to go to that filthy hospital again. Honestly, what are they thinking? I'll have the day for myself to plan how to cope with whatever will be my state of wellbeing. I can already say that a single day pause with my treatment brings me a little relief because my throat immediately start to un-swell. So, perhaps that's be a mix of getting better and being very sick, both at the same time.

In any case, there'll be an end to it and, as you say, the sun will rise again. I'm prepared, or at least I hope I am. Got a big bottle of mouthwash, though I didn't have to use any yet. Feeling tired, ears ringing at high pitch, taste completely off, but my spirits are high. Cheers and a nice weekend to you.

• PipLily
    PipLily Member Posts: 127 Member
    edited December 2020 #61
    Options
    Hello Mattie.....

just wanted to check in to encourage you to hang in there! You are on the home stretch, but very much in the thick of things. The point where it seems things may never get better. But they do! My husband is 6 months post treatment, and doing very well. He even enjoyed a chocolate stout last night while we played cards! I can’t imagine the strength it must take to go this road alone. It’s wonderful you have this forum to help you along. Plus the cat! We are cat lovers also, and have two. Pip and Lily ~ thus, my screen name LOL. Continue to get your calories and protein in, and just give in to your body and sleep when you can. But I would also encourage you to do even a short bit of walking or exercise every day. Even for just a few minutes if that’s all you can do. If nothing else, I think it’s good mentally. There were days I pushed for my husband to get outside for just a 10 minute walk. You are at the end, and even though for a period of time after radiation ends, it still feels like you’re going through it, you will begin to heal!