Mucus During Treatment

Hello,

I am into my 4th week of radiation. I have been diagnosed with Stage IIIA anal cancer. I feel as if I have a raging yeast infection because all I want to do is scratch. And...I have mucus when I go to the bathroom and smells awful. Does any of this sound normal?

L

Comments

• annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    edited December 2019 #2
    Yes, but my itching started

Yes, but my itching started much later.  I was super itchy but more weeks 6 and 7 and 8.  Terrible itching.  And I had alot of mucus as well. Just have them check you out when are in to the doctor next.  They maybe can give you something for the itching.  I used alot of different medicines in week 7 and 8 and none of them really helped all that much.   But there are former posts about itching on this forum, unless they were lost when the site crashed.  I guess it is also possible that you could have a  yeast infection at the same time as radiation, but it is probably from the radiation.    I used products for feminine itching, benadryl cream, witch hazel, etc.  I found baby power itself somewhat comforting.  I forget which product I liked the best for itching, I will try to remember. 

• annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    edited December 2019 #3
    annie4145 said:

Yes, but my itching started

Yes, but my itching started much later.  I was super itchy but more weeks 6 and 7 and 8.  Terrible itching.  And I had alot of mucus as well. Just have them check you out when are in to the doctor next.  They maybe can give you something for the itching.  I used alot of different medicines in week 7 and 8 and none of them really helped all that much.   But there are former posts about itching on this forum, unless they were lost when the site crashed.  I guess it is also possible that you could have a  yeast infection at the same time as radiation, but it is probably from the radiation.    I used products for feminine itching, benadryl cream, witch hazel, etc.  I found baby power itself somewhat comforting.  I forget which product I liked the best for itching, I will try to remember. 

Here are some previous posts.

Here are some previous posts.  (I think that I ended up taking baths and using an anti-itch cream (Cortisol???), I don't remember.  I was also diagnosed with 3a, and am doing really well 15 post treatment.   Where are you treating at? 

https://csn.cancer.org/node/221666

https://csn.cancer.org/node/256896

https://csn.cancer.org/node/187819

• pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    The itching

I can really relate to the itch! I found that using an antihistamine that was suitable for skin irritation helped plus the use of a portable bidet with salted water. 

Good luck with the rest of your treatment & recovery

Liz

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    annie 4145

you might want to reconsider the use of baby powder in the treatment area; Johnson & Johnson has recently recalled some of their baby powder products because of asbestos concerns; this is in addition to the cases against J & J for ovarian and other gynecologic cancers possibly associated with baby powder.

I found sitz baths and just lying in a warm bathtub very soothing.  I used aquaphor and later aquaphor with lidocaine; also, nurses gave me domboro soaks(sic)