Beginning radiation for rectal tumor

Options

Comments

• MeAndMine
    MeAndMine Member Posts: 54
    Options
    AnneO1965 said:

What Tru said... You do it

What Tru said... You do it because you have to... Towards my last 2 treatments, I got blisters in my leg creases, the inside and outside of my lady bits, and it was pure torture. But knowing it was almost over helped get me through it.  

I'm so sorry you got the owies so early on in your treatment. I think about you every day, and I hope you are managing. Just give yourself a mental hug every time it hurts from me.

Thank you Anne. What did you

Thank you Anne. What did you use on your blisters? My insides are like sticking together and burn so badly that I can't even stand for water to touch me. The back end was bad enough without now having this thrown into the mix. It's brutal.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    MeAndMine said:

Thank you Anne. What did you use on your blisters? My insides are like sticking together and burn so badly that I can't even stand for water to touch me. The back end was bad enough without now having this thrown into the mix. It's brutal.

I know I'm not Anne, but...

I used Witch Hazel on my sores.  I purchased a good quality, organic. My sores were weeping terribly, and this really helped. 

Tru

• Trubrit
    Options
    MeAndMine said:

Double Post - Sorry

Silly me!

• MeAndMine
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Double Post - Sorry

Silly me!

Thanks Tru! I bought witch

Thanks Tru! I bought witch hazel and made up a spray with that and high quality aloe but didn't pay attention to the quality of the witch hazel. It has alcohol as an inactive ingredient so I feel like I wasted my aloe on that. I will use it for something else but don't want to spray alcohol in that area!

Also, my biggest problem right now is the inner labia area. I'm not sure what lotions or concoctions can go there. I asked if I could use the radia gel and at first my oncologist said yes then after looking at the ingredients, said probably better not to because it has something like sugar that could cause yeast. 

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this, but

I hate to tell you this, but I didn't use anything... My oncolocist didn't want me using anything, so I just toughed it out. The blisters finally popped about a week after my last treatment, and then the itching from the healing lasted a couple weeks. She did give me a dose of the stuff for yeast infections, and that seemed to help a little.

• Trubrit
    Options
    MeAndMine said:

Thanks Tru! I bought witch

Thanks Tru! I bought witch hazel and made up a spray with that and high quality aloe but didn't pay attention to the quality of the witch hazel. It has alcohol as an inactive ingredient so I feel like I wasted my aloe on that. I will use it for something else but don't want to spray alcohol in that area!

Also, my biggest problem right now is the inner labia area. I'm not sure what lotions or concoctions can go there. I asked if I could use the radia gel and at first my oncologist said yes then after looking at the ingredients, said probably better not to because it has something like sugar that could cause yeast. 

No, you don't need the alcohol...

stings like crazy. 

I buy the alcohol free Witch Halel. 

Sometimes its a matter of trying several different thigns to see what works for you. 

I spent a vast amount of time sitting around (on a special, soft blanket) with no underware, just letting the air get to those places. Curtains closed, doors locked, you would find me in whatever position it took for to allow the air to flow - if you get my drift. 

It is a wicked thing, and telling you it will be over soon doesn't help. Soon is just not soon enough. 

Tru

• MeAndMine
    Options
    It’s just so very bad. I can

It’s just so very bad. I can’t even move. Tomorrow is my last treatment. I wish I knew what to do to help. It’s unbelievable pain. I know I need to keep drinking water. Just the idea of having to go to the bathroom makes me weep. I need to be stronger but right now I’m about to break. 

• Trubrit
    edited October 2019 #69
    Options
    Treatment over

but the pain will continue for a while.  I reemember thinking, while knowing I was wrong, that it would all be better once radiation stopped, but of course it doesn't.  I won't tell you how long it took me, because we are all different. 

And you won't break, you have already proved that you are strong. 

Tru

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Stay strong!

Last treatment tomorrow,and you'll be done! It will take a while to heal,but it is going to get better....believe me and others,who have been through it.

You CAN do it,

Suzy

• AnneO1965
    Options
    Morning Me..

I'll be thinking about you all day.. Congrats on making it to your last treatment. Remind yourself that you will not have to go through this part in that area again.  If they give you the option, ring the damn bell. It will give you such a sense of accomplishment. 

Just know that you have people rooting for you, and I'll be mentally holding your hand all day.

• MeAndMine
    Options
     Thank you all for being with

Thank you all for being with me through this treatment. I did ring The bell today.  And now I can concentrate on trying to feel better.  I appreciate all of you. 

• AnneO1965
    Options
    WHOOP WHOOP!!!

Congrats on making it through! I'm so happy for you and proud of you! Rest rest rest. Then get your butt in gear when you feel better. What's next on your treatment schedule?

• MeAndMine
    Options
    AnneO1965 said:

WHOOP WHOOP!!!

Congrats on making it through! I'm so happy for you and proud of you! Rest rest rest. Then get your butt in gear when you feel better. What's next on your treatment schedule?

Surgery

I’m so very miserable. I need a break but i know there’s nothing to be done but get through it. So much pain. Next up is surgery with probable colostomy as the tumor is very low. 

It’s still early morning on the first day after radiation was completed and I don’t know how to make it through the day much less the week. 

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    MeAndMine said:

Surgery

I’m so very miserable. I need a break but i know there’s nothing to be done but get through it. So much pain. Next up is surgery with probable colostomy as the tumor is very low. 

It’s still early morning on the first day after radiation was completed and I don’t know how to make it through the day much less the week. 

One foot

One foot in front of the other is the way many of us have made it through.  Meditation helped me, and sometimes a good stiff drink.  And even on the worse days, exercise was always a retreat for me.  You might want to consult with your doctors about help making it through.  Good luck with all of this.

• AnneO1965
    Options
    How you doing?

Been thinking about you Me and I hope that you are starting to feel better. Let us know if you are ok. I'm rooting for you.

Anne

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Bun burn

If radiation tends to burn your bun,consider Radia Gel frome Walmart.  It's very soothing and quite cheap!  Good luck to you!

• MeAndMine
    Options
    It’s been an awful week. I

It’s been an awful week. I came on here a few times but didn’t write because there was nothing to say but “I’m miserable”. There was nothing to ask because I’ve asked and researched and read everything and nothing really helps as ev here knows. I saw the surgeon today. He prescribed nifedipine compound cream to help with the anal issues but no one has any suggestions for the raw burning vaginal tissue. Everyone says you just have to get through it. It’s been the worst pain ever and every day I pray it’s a little better. It’s pure misery. I’ve done a lot of crying but that doesn’t do any good so I keep getting mad at myself for letting go. 

My daughter went to the pharmacy to get the cream and came home with Calvilon barrier spray. They said that might help with the burning but I’m not sure about applying that in that area. Im just so tired of it all. 

I’m not eating and I know that’s not helping. I just do not want to go to the bathroom and when I start to eat, I think how bad it hurts coming back out so I stop. I’ve lost 13 pounds this month. Every morning I’m determined to eat. I’m hungry but I just do not want to go to the bathroom. I can’t make myself. I tried just a banana one day. Still hurt. The next day I only ate 1/2 cup yogurt. That was worse than the banana. I’m just having water. I want to force myself but I can’t stand the thought. 

I’m just in a bad place all around right now. Today Is day 6. Got to get better eventually. 

• AnneO1965
    Options
    What about Nystatin cream?

What about Nystatin cream? Can you call your oncologist and ask about that? They tried treating me with that first, didn't make the blisters go away, but it did relieve some of the burning. 

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    MeAndMine said:

It’s been an awful week. I

It’s been an awful week. I came on here a few times but didn’t write because there was nothing to say but “I’m miserable”. There was nothing to ask because I’ve asked and researched and read everything and nothing really helps as ev here knows. I saw the surgeon today. He prescribed nifedipine compound cream to help with the anal issues but no one has any suggestions for the raw burning vaginal tissue. Everyone says you just have to get through it. It’s been the worst pain ever and every day I pray it’s a little better. It’s pure misery. I’ve done a lot of crying but that doesn’t do any good so I keep getting mad at myself for letting go. 

My daughter went to the pharmacy to get the cream and came home with Calvilon barrier spray. They said that might help with the burning but I’m not sure about applying that in that area. Im just so tired of it all. 

I’m not eating and I know that’s not helping. I just do not want to go to the bathroom and when I start to eat, I think how bad it hurts coming back out so I stop. I’ve lost 13 pounds this month. Every morning I’m determined to eat. I’m hungry but I just do not want to go to the bathroom. I can’t make myself. I tried just a banana one day. Still hurt. The next day I only ate 1/2 cup yogurt. That was worse than the banana. I’m just having water. I want to force myself but I can’t stand the thought. 

I’m just in a bad place all around right now. Today Is day 6. Got to get better eventually. 

Cavilon barrier spray

Hi Me; I had been using Cavilon Barrier Spray when I had an ileostomy,and having raw,weepy skin around it. I used a powder and the spray over it,and it had been helping. But I wouldn't dare just use it for the burning raw vaginal tissue. Try to find second opinion.Maybe it could help you,it just never occur to me.

• MeAndMine
    Options

Cavilon barrier spray

Hi Me; I had been using Cavilon Barrier Spray when I had an ileostomy,and having raw,weepy skin around it. I used a powder and the spray over it,and it had been helping. But I wouldn't dare just use it for the burning raw vaginal tissue. Try to find second opinion.Maybe it could help you,it just never occur to me.

Thank you! I got desperate

Thank you! I got desperate before I read this and gave myself a little spritz and it actually helped. I’m not sure if I’ll try it again or if it’s all in my head since I didn’t do much but I felt better. I’ll ask my oncologist, too.