Updates

Apaugh
Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
edited March 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello all you fabulous warriors!  You know with all our battles and life in general.  AND chemo brain (oh yes that is real!) 

While we all have simular things going on, it is sometimes hard to keep up with everyone. We are still individuals and each and everyone of us are so so important.

Can everyone please post where you are in your battle?  

Love you all.  Hugs,

Annie

Comments

• KellyJo212
    KellyJo212 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2019 #2
    Oncotype Score Today

Hi, I'm Kelly. I was diagnosed with IDC on 3/28/2019, 2.5 cm, Grade 2, Stage IA, ER, PR+, HER2-. Left mastectomy on 4/24/2019, DCIS also found 5 cm. Clear margins and no lymph node involvement, BRCA-. Today I see oncologist to learn my Oncotype score and determine whether chemo will be part of my treatment. I feel like I have waited so long for this and am very nervous. If I'm honest, I want chemo. I want to use every treatment possible to be sure the cancer is gone. I don't understand though how if the breast is gone, margins were clear and no lymph node involvement, what exactly the chemo will be fighting. My oncologist mentioned something about cancer spores. Does anyone have information on cancer spores? Thanks for any information! 

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Update

Hello friends,

This June 15th I will be a 4 year survivor!  It took over a year for treatment and surgery - several setbacks, but I am now looking forward next week to our annual Survivor Event.

I am still on Femara and dealing with those side effects.  I was off for a month for my daughter’s wedding, and I can definitely say there are side effects - don’t let them say, “maybe it’s your growing older.”  Hands and feet tendons are sometimes excruciating, back cracks and neck, too.

Watching a spot on my non-affected side ( mammo on 6/17 ).  Mindfulness helps with anxiety and worry.  Found out Femara sucks the seratonin right out of you, too.  Don’t worry, PCP gave me an anti anxiety med for that, too!

Working full time in Junior High once more - chemobrain is frustrating, but I still think I can function better than the 13 year olds!

best wishes for all!  Peace and prayers,

Kathy

• Apaugh
    Teach76 said:

Update

Hello friends,

This June 15th I will be a 4 year survivor!  It took over a year for treatment and surgery - several setbacks, but I am now looking forward next week to our annual Survivor Event.

I am still on Femara and dealing with those side effects.  I was off for a month for my daughter’s wedding, and I can definitely say there are side effects - don’t let them say, “maybe it’s your growing older.”  Hands and feet tendons are sometimes excruciating, back cracks and neck, too.

Watching a spot on my non-affected side ( mammo on 6/17 ).  Mindfulness helps with anxiety and worry.  Found out Femara sucks the seratonin right out of you, too.  Don’t worry, PCP gave me an anti anxiety med for that, too!

Working full time in Junior High once more - chemobrain is frustrating, but I still think I can function better than the 13 year olds!

best wishes for all!  Peace and prayers,

Kathy

Kathy

Thank you for the update.   Congrats on the 4 years!  Prayers for better days and wonderful outcomes going up for you!

Annie

• Apaugh

Oncotype Score Today

Hi, I'm Kelly. I was diagnosed with IDC on 3/28/2019, 2.5 cm, Grade 2, Stage IA, ER, PR+, HER2-. Left mastectomy on 4/24/2019, DCIS also found 5 cm. Clear margins and no lymph node involvement, BRCA-. Today I see oncologist to learn my Oncotype score and determine whether chemo will be part of my treatment. I feel like I have waited so long for this and am very nervous. If I'm honest, I want chemo. I want to use every treatment possible to be sure the cancer is gone. I don't understand though how if the breast is gone, margins were clear and no lymph node involvement, what exactly the chemo will be fighting. My oncologist mentioned something about cancer spores. Does anyone have information on cancer spores? Thanks for any information! 

Kelly

I dont know what that is.  What I do know it it only takes one single cell to slip past.  I was 3 cm., Grade 1, State 1A, ER + and HER2 +.   that is not much and they still recommended chemo.  Chemo sucks big time.  I dont regret having it, but it is hell to go through and the collateral damages are forever.  I now have UTUC in my kidney, however it was not a mets.  I am just dealing with another one.  I will soon lose that kidney and pray for the best.   Cancer is a **** show.  

Hugs and prayers, keep us posted about your journey.

Annie

• anniemshe
    anniemshe Member Posts: 91 Member
    Update

Hi. Was diagnosed 2007 Dec stage 2 breast cancer with some lymph node involvement. Mastectomy, chemo radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen completed. Then April 2017 metastasis to bone in shoulder area so I’m stage 4. Currently on Femara and a new medication called Ribociclib ( clinical trials). So far I’m blessed with some minor aches and pains, dry skin and lousy hair. I thank God I’m still able to work and carry on without too much difficulty and most of my working colleagues don’t even know that I’m ill. I have a wonderful family and great awesome friends that pray for me and are my ardent supporters. Prayers and love to all. Annie ( that’s me name too)

• Apaugh
    anniemshe said:

Update

Hi. Was diagnosed 2007 Dec stage 2 breast cancer with some lymph node involvement. Mastectomy, chemo radiation and 5 years of tamoxifen completed. Then April 2017 metastasis to bone in shoulder area so I’m stage 4. Currently on Femara and a new medication called Ribociclib ( clinical trials). So far I’m blessed with some minor aches and pains, dry skin and lousy hair. I thank God I’m still able to work and carry on without too much difficulty and most of my working colleagues don’t even know that I’m ill. I have a wonderful family and great awesome friends that pray for me and are my ardent supporters. Prayers and love to all. Annie ( that’s me name too)

Your a winner and a great warrior

Keep fighting this fight and being a wonderful inspiration to all of us.  

Hugs,

Annie :)

• meadowglade
    meadowglade Member Posts: 39 Member
    Got the news in Nov.

Hi, mine is triple negative breast cancer found in Nov. 2018. Started Chemo in December. Had surgery in March, that chemo treatment didn't kill the cancer. Surgery, got the tumor, margins were clear, 3 lymph nodes involved, 11 removed. It was Stage 2B. Today will be radiation day 10, and so far I am doing well with that.  I will have 28 treatments, if that goes well I will have a 5 day "boost". I am having the whole breast, under the arm and the clavical area done. The doctor wants to do it all so we don't have any regrets down the road. I will start Xeloda for six months after radiation. When that is done I will go into a trial for Pembrolizumab. I hope to chosen to recieve the drug. I am doing everything I can to fight this tooth and nail. My heart goes out to everyone here.  

• Bevoir
    Bevoir Member Posts: 8

Got the news in Nov.

Hi, mine is triple negative breast cancer found in Nov. 2018. Started Chemo in December. Had surgery in March, that chemo treatment didn't kill the cancer. Surgery, got the tumor, margins were clear, 3 lymph nodes involved, 11 removed. It was Stage 2B. Today will be radiation day 10, and so far I am doing well with that.  I will have 28 treatments, if that goes well I will have a 5 day "boost". I am having the whole breast, under the arm and the clavical area done. The doctor wants to do it all so we don't have any regrets down the road. I will start Xeloda for six months after radiation. When that is done I will go into a trial for Pembrolizumab. I hope to chosen to recieve the drug. I am doing everything I can to fight this tooth and nail. My heart goes out to everyone here.  

Sending hugs

Hi, Meadowglade,

i just read your update & wanted to reach out.  I was just diagnosed last week and haven’t met my cancer team yet (that happens on Wed, so will know more after that). But reading updates like yours is inspiring.  Sending positive thoughts & hugs your way.

Take care

B

• finbeck
    finbeck Member Posts: 11
    Update

I found a lump in my breast j  December of 2018.  In January 2019, I was diagnosed with breast cancer - ER+.  I was scanned poeked. and consulted for the next few months and worried about waiting for any intervention.  Everyone seemed to be in such a hurry to do "something".  I got second opinions.  One of the Cancer surviivors I talked to said that she was told that in Canada, sometimes they waint 3-4 months before initiating treatment.  A lot depends on the type and stage.  My first suregery was April 2019 with a bioposy of 2 sedentary lymph nodes.  They were both positive for cancer.  On April 18, 2019, I had my second surgery and 15 lymph nodes were removed.  They were all negative.  My cancer is classified as Stage 2 A.  I am 72 years old.  I have done a some of researach on treatments after surgery.   I have decided not to do radiation - I may possibly want to do reconstruction.  I have opted not to do chemo as I do not want to spend the next 2=3 years of my life merely surviving the effects of chemo and the rest of my life surviving the long term effects.   If I were younger, my five children not all settled and doing well and my husband were still alive, I might consider it.  I do not think I will do the hormone therapy either.   I feel like I want to live.  right now I am dealing with the effects of nerve damage, pain and weakness in my right arm after surgery, possily some lymphadema.  AThat is enough for me right now.  I am sending prayers, love and positive thoughts to all who are going thru this and choices to make.

• Apaugh
    finbeck said:

Update

I found a lump in my breast j  December of 2018.  In January 2019, I was diagnosed with breast cancer - ER+.  I was scanned poeked. and consulted for the next few months and worried about waiting for any intervention.  Everyone seemed to be in such a hurry to do "something".  I got second opinions.  One of the Cancer surviivors I talked to said that she was told that in Canada, sometimes they waint 3-4 months before initiating treatment.  A lot depends on the type and stage.  My first suregery was April 2019 with a bioposy of 2 sedentary lymph nodes.  They were both positive for cancer.  On April 18, 2019, I had my second surgery and 15 lymph nodes were removed.  They were all negative.  My cancer is classified as Stage 2 A.  I am 72 years old.  I have done a some of researach on treatments after surgery.   I have decided not to do radiation - I may possibly want to do reconstruction.  I have opted not to do chemo as I do not want to spend the next 2=3 years of my life merely surviving the effects of chemo and the rest of my life surviving the long term effects.   If I were younger, my five children not all settled and doing well and my husband were still alive, I might consider it.  I do not think I will do the hormone therapy either.   I feel like I want to live.  right now I am dealing with the effects of nerve damage, pain and weakness in my right arm after surgery, possily some lymphadema.  AThat is enough for me right now.  I am sending prayers, love and positive thoughts to all who are going thru this and choices to make.

Prayers going up

You have made a brave choice and I respect your decision on it.  Your a brave warrior.  Keep with us and share your journey as often as you can.

Have you foud someone who specializes in lymphatic massages.  I did and went for about 6 months and she taught me self care.  It sure makes a difference.   

Hugs and prayers going up for you,

Annie

• pcwebb
    pcwebb Member Posts: 1 Member

Great to hear. Annie, did you have bone pain using Ribociclib? And if so what did you use to ease it? I’m in stage four met to spine from breast cancer. I’m 3 years out and just recently started Fulvestrant and will start Ribociclib. Any suggestions would help. I couldn’t tolerate the aromatase inhibitors due to the pain they caused.