Hello everyone

I have been here for a month,month and a half probaly--1st time posting.My husband had stage 4 scc.He has just finished 35 rads--did very well,no feeding tube--eat everything from start to finish (steak chops etc)He has really been thru a rough time for 2 yrs now.Last summer he had a 3 way vascular bypass where they put a dacron graft one piece going to aorta and 2 parts going to magor arterys in legs--well that bacame infected,spent 3 months in ICU--had pneumonia.kidneys failed once--blood clot on lung--you name it--he had it.He almost died several times.He had to be transported to UVA to remove the infected graft.He was in a veterans hospital.He had 2 more surgeries in UVa--replaced graft with a bovine graft.After all this he was sent a month to rehab.He had a stage 4 bed sore.We worked with wound care for 6 months to get his surgery places healed--they were open and he had so many drains for awhile.then it was another 3 months to heal the bedsore.Well he had just got back to his old self then cancer hit.He is such a walking miracle--an a testament to what a good attitude will do---and a I am going to fight attitude.So he has completed radiation now---His va dr wanted him to get a feeding tube before treatment--and also wanted him to have cisplatin chemo.Then his cancer dr said he didnt want him to have the feeding tube--said it was just another place for him to become infected with his history--and also he said not to do the chemo--because he said it would kil him prob in his condition.So he didnt have the chem0,or the tube--worked out fine without tube.hope the radiation killed all the cancer.He is doing wonderful considering--didnt even burn much on outside of neck--He cant taste anything though--and has very dry mouth--still great though.I wanted to ask for prayers for him in his continuing recovery--and also I want to let everyone here know how much this board has helped me.I think you all are just wonderful with the way you try to help everyone

Rita

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,260 Member
    What a Difficult

Time your husband has been through. Reading your story of all the things you and your husband have been through is overwhelming. It is amazing what you have come through then to get hit with cancer yet. Welcome and you are correct this is a wonderful place with great people for support and info. So glad your husband has gotten through everything inckluding cancer treatment. It is great he could get through the treatment without the need for a feeding tube. He must be an amazingly strong and determined fellow. So I am sending prayers your way and praying for you folks now as requested and may God continue to Bless you each day-Russ

• okeydokey
    okeydokey Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2018 #3
    wbcgaruss said:

What a Difficult

Time your husband has been through. Reading your story of all the things you and your husband have been through is overwhelming. It is amazing what you have come through then to get hit with cancer yet. Welcome and you are correct this is a wonderful place with great people for support and info. So glad your husband has gotten through everything inckluding cancer treatment. It is great he could get through the treatment without the need for a feeding tube. He must be an amazingly strong and determined fellow. So I am sending prayers your way and praying for you folks now as requested and may God continue to Bless you each day-Russ

Thank you so much Russ

Thank you so much Russ

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 726 Member
    Good Attitude

It is very nice to read how great of an attitude your husband has.  This disease is awful to deal with due to our desire to enjoy eating.  Of course you will have my prayers for a speedy recovery.  

• okeydokey

Good Attitude

It is very nice to read how great of an attitude your husband has.  This disease is awful to deal with due to our desire to enjoy eating.  Of course you will have my prayers for a speedy recovery.  

Thank you Tommyodavey

Thank you Tommyodavey

I know prayer works wonders

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    amazing

November 4, will be six years since my surgery to remove my epiglottis, Im doing well and didn't have to suffer through chemo or radiation, my lymph nodes were beneign.

I would just like to say, I'm usually amazed and stunned at the bravery of people on here, the burdens they've beared, the kindness and knowledge they show.

Your husband and you have my prayer and my admiration for handling the illnesses with strength and faith.

• okeydokey
    edited September 2018 #7
    Grandmax4 said:

amazing

November 4, will be six years since my surgery to remove my epiglottis, Im doing well and didn't have to suffer through chemo or radiation, my lymph nodes were beneign.

I would just like to say, I'm usually amazed and stunned at the bravery of people on here, the burdens they've beared, the kindness and knowledge they show.

Your husband and you have my prayer and my admiration for handling the illnesses with strength and faith.

It is amazing

yes people on here are brave,kind and so very knowledgable.Some have been through so much.It really is a testament to the human spirit.Grandmax i am so glad you are doing well,and hope that continues for you,and am glad you didnt have to suffer through chemo and radiation,which are brutal treatments sometimes.Thank you for your prayers

• patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    WOW!!

Wow, Okeydokey, your husband is amazing. I send copious quantities, way above the legal limits, of love, encouragement, prayers, and positive everything to him and you.  I'm so glad to hear that all is well since the beast treatment, so let's just Keep It Mov'in Forward!

Patrick

• okeydokey
    patricke said:

WOW!!

Wow, Okeydokey, your husband is amazing. I send copious quantities, way above the legal limits, of love, encouragement, prayers, and positive everything to him and you.  I'm so glad to hear that all is well since the beast treatment, so let's just Keep It Mov'in Forward!

Patrick

yes--so blessed

My hubby is truly blessed by how well he has done so far.--a week yesterday since last rad--It is hunting season here--He killed a deer yesterday--busy working it up.Thank you so much Patricke--I really appreciate your good wishes.

• okeydokey
    terrible update

My hubby had his pet scan a few months ago,and it was bad news,His cancer has mets in the bones (spine) and to the lungs also.He is taking keytruda now---they told him it isnt going to cure him but maybe give him a little more time but his time is short they said.He is still doing amazing for the condition he is in.He has lost alot of weight.If it wasnt for the awful pain in his jaw.They have presribed morphine for it--it helps but doesnt completly get rid of it.He is still driving,and doing most of what he always has.He had 10 more rads to his spine which helped pain there.I am so afraid but there is nothing more to do.He keeps on keeping on though,and has such an amazing fighting spirit.I am so thankfull for that.He says he will fight to the end.As I said before he is truly amazing--please pray for him--prayer works wonders

Rita

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,260 Member
    edited March 2019 #11
    Will Do

okeydokey-sorry to hear things went the way they did but you, your husband and family are on my prayer list-What a fighter your husband is an amazing guy-God Bless.

• okeydokey
    thank you so much Russ

I really appreciate it.

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    okeydokey said:

terrible update

My hubby had his pet scan a few months ago,and it was bad news,His cancer has mets in the bones (spine) and to the lungs also.He is taking keytruda now---they told him it isnt going to cure him but maybe give him a little more time but his time is short they said.He is still doing amazing for the condition he is in.He has lost alot of weight.If it wasnt for the awful pain in his jaw.They have presribed morphine for it--it helps but doesnt completly get rid of it.He is still driving,and doing most of what he always has.He had 10 more rads to his spine which helped pain there.I am so afraid but there is nothing more to do.He keeps on keeping on though,and has such an amazing fighting spirit.I am so thankfull for that.He says he will fight to the end.As I said before he is truly amazing--please pray for him--prayer works wonders

Rita

...update

keeping you both in my heart and prayers, Crystal

• okeydokey
    edited March 2019 #14
    Thank you Crystal--that means

Thank you Crystal--that means alot.

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Sorry

So sorry to read this about your husband

• okeydokey
    Grandmax4 said:

Sorry

So sorry to read this about your husband

Thank you Grandmax4

Thank you Grandmax4

• okeydokey
    ERomanO said:

Very sorry to hear

I have first hand experience on how a driving will to live will help a person carry on far longer than what their doctor says, so keep up the good fight!  Prayers to you both!

Yes I agree,and he is so much

Yes I agree,and he is so much a fighter that I hope his time is alot longer than dr says.They wanted him to talk to hospice,and he told them he wasnt ready for that yet.When he is having one of his good days without so much jaw pain I look at him and think that there is nothing wrong with him even.Of course I know that that is only a dream but still...Thanks so much for the prayers

Rita

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
    Very sorry to hear

I have first hand experience on how a driving will to live will help a person carry on far longer than what their doctor says, so keep up the good fight!  Prayers to you both!

• accordiongirl
    accordiongirl Member Posts: 63
    okeydokey said:

Yes I agree,and he is so much

Yes I agree,and he is so much a fighter that I hope his time is alot longer than dr says.They wanted him to talk to hospice,and he told them he wasnt ready for that yet.When he is having one of his good days without so much jaw pain I look at him and think that there is nothing wrong with him even.Of course I know that that is only a dream but still...Thanks so much for the prayers

Rita

About Hospice

i will tell you this one thing about hospice that we are discovering.......they aren't there to help people die, they are there to help people live the best lives they can live.  My mom was counseled to sign up with hospice after her diagnosis and her decision to not seek treatment.  (She's 83 and didn't want to deal with the side effects, etc.)  My first reaction was, "Holy cow, they must expect this to go FAST if they want her on hospice already!"   But that was NOT it at all - they wanted her to be able to have the support and care she needed in order to LIVE the rest of her life.  Hospice has been such a gift!  They've helped mom with equipment, medications, visits, they give her answers, comfort, laughter, hope........i can't say enough about them.  And they aren't "doom and gloom" and "waiting for you to die" at all......they've found so many ways to help her DO the things she wants to do.  And yes, when it comes to the point where mom IS looking at the last days of her life, they'll be there for THAT, too, and we'll have such a great relationship already built with the caretakers that it will be a huge comfort to have our hospice friends WITH us, instead of having strangers appear at the "last minute" with the expectation that we are to rely on and trust them. 

It sounds to me like your husband is an amazing fighter and talking to hospice isn't going to change that - if anything, they'll HELP him in his fight!  (Mom's nurse was just telling us of one of her patients who left hospice becasue she was no longer considered "terminal" and is doing well.  People often DO do better when they have the luxury of being cared for by a great hospice team.)   Best wishes to your husband - and to you - for his continued fight.  He sounds like quite the guy!!

~ accordiongirl

• okeydokey

About Hospice

i will tell you this one thing about hospice that we are discovering.......they aren't there to help people die, they are there to help people live the best lives they can live.  My mom was counseled to sign up with hospice after her diagnosis and her decision to not seek treatment.  (She's 83 and didn't want to deal with the side effects, etc.)  My first reaction was, "Holy cow, they must expect this to go FAST if they want her on hospice already!"   But that was NOT it at all - they wanted her to be able to have the support and care she needed in order to LIVE the rest of her life.  Hospice has been such a gift!  They've helped mom with equipment, medications, visits, they give her answers, comfort, laughter, hope........i can't say enough about them.  And they aren't "doom and gloom" and "waiting for you to die" at all......they've found so many ways to help her DO the things she wants to do.  And yes, when it comes to the point where mom IS looking at the last days of her life, they'll be there for THAT, too, and we'll have such a great relationship already built with the caretakers that it will be a huge comfort to have our hospice friends WITH us, instead of having strangers appear at the "last minute" with the expectation that we are to rely on and trust them. 

It sounds to me like your husband is an amazing fighter and talking to hospice isn't going to change that - if anything, they'll HELP him in his fight!  (Mom's nurse was just telling us of one of her patients who left hospice becasue she was no longer considered "terminal" and is doing well.  People often DO do better when they have the luxury of being cared for by a great hospice team.)   Best wishes to your husband - and to you - for his continued fight.  He sounds like quite the guy!!

~ accordiongirl

thank you accordiongirl

I have always heard hospice was just wonderful.I think in my husband's case having them come in would mean to him that he has given up (in his own mind)Also he had a friend that died the next day after they come in,and he is scared.To him I think it means he is going to die right away if they do,which I know is irrational.Also I believe he thinks he would have to quit all treatment,which I dont know about this (have heard different things)He wants to keep on with the keytruda in case it does give him more time.I know hospice is great,and maybe he will change his mind later.I am all for whatever he decides.How is your mother doing?Ihave read all your posts..I hope she is doing well.My prayers are with you both--again thanks for informative post.

Rita

• accordiongirl
    accordiongirl Member Posts: 63
    okeydokey said:

thank you accordiongirl

I have always heard hospice was just wonderful.I think in my husband's case having them come in would mean to him that he has given up (in his own mind)Also he had a friend that died the next day after they come in,and he is scared.To him I think it means he is going to die right away if they do,which I know is irrational.Also I believe he thinks he would have to quit all treatment,which I dont know about this (have heard different things)He wants to keep on with the keytruda in case it does give him more time.I know hospice is great,and maybe he will change his mind later.I am all for whatever he decides.How is your mother doing?Ihave read all your posts..I hope she is doing well.My prayers are with you both--again thanks for informative post.

Rita

You are correct

You are correct that when you sign onto hospice, you DO stop treatments - i honestly think that's an insurance thing, because mom's Medicare pays for hospice, but won't cover any TREATMENT related to her cancer.  Hospice can help with symptoms and pain management, etc., but if mom wanted to treat something related to her cancer, she'd have to go OFF of hospice, get the treatment, then go back (unless she wanted to pay out of pocket).   So......there are some downsides, especially if, like your husband, folks want to continue with a course of treatment that they are on.

i would offer this one piece of advice for him if he's ever in a place to need it........gather information, talk with various hospice programs, ask questions, and get concrete answers before assuming that hospice means the end is near (as in a week or less).  What we found out when mom was encouraged to look into hospice is that 90% of people who are on hospice don't sign up until their health is so bad that they DO pass within days or a week or two.  Most patients are on hospice for under 2 weeks BECAUASE they don't seek out the services earlier.  My mom has been so blessed - hospice has provided her a 4 wheel walker after she had a fall, a transport chair because walking long distances is tough, they would get her a lift chair if she needed it.  When the time comes, i'm sure they'll bring in a hospital bed, commode, and anything else she needs.  All of this is cost free to mom and SO helpful.  They also send someone as often as mom wants to clean her apartment, do laundry, change her bedding, etc.  The cares that they provide to enable mom to LIVE the best she can is so very appreciated.  If more people would understand that hospice is to help in all those ways and not just hold your hand while you pass away, they'd certainly sign up earlier.  You are right, there's kind of a "stigma" or a "judgement" we tend to have with the word "hospice" and i'm learning through my mom that it's just not that way.

Encourage your husband to keep talking to his doctors, (and listening, too), and to share with them HIS feelings and desires, fears and worries, about his treatment and his future.  Together i'm sure they'll find the right path for HIM.....hopefully one that is long and healthy. 

All my best to you both.

~ accordiongirl

P.S.  mom is doing okay.  She has good days and bad days.  Swallowing/eating is her biggest challenge - she struggles with that a lot and coughs up a lot of phlem while trying to eat.  She will only eat at home now because of it.  She's also quite fatigued and falls asleep very easily if she sits down in her chair for more than a few minutes.  But she is still able to partake in some social activities at her apartment and hang out with my family some, though she tires easily.  Gratefully, she's not had a whole lot of pain as of yet.  She has some on the side of her face - we think there's nerve involvement - but to date it's been very manageable.  i'm extremely grateful for that.  And mom's attitude and sense of humor is firmly intact........she is on our cell phone plan and typically pays for several months at a time.  She recently told me "Maybe I should pay by the month now!"   We had a good laugh.....it's that, or cry.  i know that she's still willing to put up with the trials of her disease because when she IS done, i think she'll give up quite quickly and go with the attitude of "I'm done.  I'm ready to go be with my husband."   And when that time comes, i'll cheer her on as she will have earned that right to be with dad......and maybe i'll be a touch jealous as i miss my dad so very much and would love to be with him myself.