diagnostic method accuracy

Benita1974
Benita1974 Member Posts: 16

hi all, I am new and I have a question regarding whether oc can be accurate diagnosed and how. 

I have some symptoms looking like ovarian cancer. but my mom said I may have started premenopause. I am 44. but I checked internet and feel that I fdon' have the most common symptoms at all for premenopause.

I had 2 periods in may. the second one was just 3 days after end of the first one. I never experienced such before. so I was very concerned. after my second period, I started to feel stomach pain and nauseous. in the meantime, I also have abdominal period like pain. my legs are sore as well.

I will see my obgyn doc tomorrow. but after reading some stories, I concern that even if I tell my doc that I suspect ovarian cancer, it's still possible that it cannot be diagnosed accurately. I don't want to miss the chance in case I have it. my son is only five and I want to be able to be there at until he is 18.

thanks in advance for any advise here.

Benita

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Sorry we missed you

Hi Benita,

I'm sorry no one responded before your appointment.  How did it go?

Hopefully your doctor ordered an ultrasound and a CA-125 blood test.

That's a good place to start.

• Benita1974
    hi Tethys, 

hi Tethys, 

thanks for replying. my doc ordered an ultrasound next week. he did an exam and said he felt an  ovary cyst. but he didn't order any blood test at all. he said he will discuss with me after the ultrasound.

in the older, there are pelvic and transvaginal. I was told to drink water before ultrasound. does this mean 2 tpyes of ultrasound? are these sufficient test?

thanks again

• Tethys41
    Ultrasound

Hi Benita,

Yes, they will do a vaginal ultrasound, and one on the surface.  They want you to come in with a full bladder.  If you have to wait very long, impress on them that you have a full bladder.

When you have a follow up, you may want to ask for the CA-125 test, if the results of the ultrasound are not definitive.  This test measures a protein present on ovarian cancer cells.  It can yield false positives and it doesn't work for everyone, but it is the best the medical field has to offer for early detection of ovarian cancer. 

Good luck.  I hope everything works out okay.

• Benita1974
    edited June 2018 #5
    Tethys41 said:

Ultrasound

Hi Benita,

Yes, they will do a vaginal ultrasound, and one on the surface.  They want you to come in with a full bladder.  If you have to wait very long, impress on them that you have a full bladder.

When you have a follow up, you may want to ask for the CA-125 test, if the results of the ultrasound are not definitive.  This test measures a protein present on ovarian cancer cells.  It can yield false positives and it doesn't work for everyone, but it is the best the medical field has to offer for early detection of ovarian cancer. 

Good luck.  I hope everything works out okay.

thanks a lot Tethys. have a

thanks a lot Tethys. have a good weekend!

• Benita1974
    edited June 2018 #6
    I did the ultrasound today. I

I did the ultrasound today. I can see a big cyst on the screen. but the technician said it was median sized. she didn't say more but said I need to discuss with my doctor. does anyone know how big is a median size cyst? my guess is >5 but <10cm?

I will see my doctor on Wednesday. wish I could get a clear diagnose then.

thanks everyone for reading my post. wish all the best to you all.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited June 2018 #7
    Benita, hope you don't mind,

Benita, hope you don't mind, but I am a visitor from the Uterine board.  I think Tethys41 had a good idea to see if you can get a CA125 blood test - it would help in the testing process, and be another tool in the tookit.

• Tethys41

I did the ultrasound today. I

I did the ultrasound today. I can see a big cyst on the screen. but the technician said it was median sized. she didn't say more but said I need to discuss with my doctor. does anyone know how big is a median size cyst? my guess is >5 but <10cm?

I will see my doctor on Wednesday. wish I could get a clear diagnose then.

thanks everyone for reading my post. wish all the best to you all.

Cyst

Hi Benita,

Glad to hear the ultrasound is done.  I'm not sure there is a standard for cyst size.  I hope it's not too large.  I had issues with edometriosis in my 30's and my gynecologist then said anything larger than 5cm needed to be removed surgically.  On the other hand, just before I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I had a 5cm cyst on my ovary that none of my new doctors seemed at all concerned about.

I hope your appointment goes well today.  Keep us posted.

• Benita1974
    edited June 2018 #9

Benita, hope you don't mind,

Benita, hope you don't mind, but I am a visitor from the Uterine board.  I think Tethys41 had a good idea to see if you can get a CA125 blood test - it would help in the testing process, and be another tool in the tookit.

thank you! my doctor did

thank you! my doctor did order a blood test yesterday. but I don't remember the name. i assume it is the one you mentioned.

• Benita1974
    edited June 2018 #10
    Tethys41 said:

Cyst

Hi Benita,

Glad to hear the ultrasound is done.  I'm not sure there is a standard for cyst size.  I hope it's not too large.  I had issues with edometriosis in my 30's and my gynecologist then said anything larger than 5cm needed to be removed surgically.  On the other hand, just before I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I had a 5cm cyst on my ovary that none of my new doctors seemed at all concerned about.

I hope your appointment goes well today.  Keep us posted.

I got the ultrasound results.

I got the ultrasound results. it's stated a cyst on my Left ovary over 6cm. my doctor said I could get it removed, or watch for 2 months then get it removed if not going away. I told him to remove it ASAP because I am traveling in 1.5month. the report said it is a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst. but my doctor mentioned 3types instead which he said all are usually benigh. but he agreed to remove it for me. is there anything I need to pay attention during the surgery?

thanks again for all your replies!

• Tethys41
    edited June 2018 #11

I got the ultrasound results.

I got the ultrasound results. it's stated a cyst on my Left ovary over 6cm. my doctor said I could get it removed, or watch for 2 months then get it removed if not going away. I told him to remove it ASAP because I am traveling in 1.5month. the report said it is a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst. but my doctor mentioned 3types instead which he said all are usually benigh. but he agreed to remove it for me. is there anything I need to pay attention during the surgery?

thanks again for all your replies!

Congratulations

Great news, Benita,

I am so glad this is something bengin.  Did your doctor metion whether the surgery will be a laparotomy or laparoscopic?  If it is a laparotomy, meaning he needs to make an incision above your pubic bone, it takes about 6 weeks to fully recover from that procedure.  I don't know if that would interfere with your plans.  A laparoscopic procedure has a much shorter recovery time.  If he is certian about the diagnosis, there probably isn't really anything else to be concerned about and it sounds like it's a good idea to have it removed sooner than later.  If you have a laparotomy, they will probably keep you overnight in the hospital and you will have morphine while you are there and then some pain meds for when you go home.  I hope everytning goes smoothly.

• Benita1974
    edited June 2018 #12
    Tethys41 said:

Congratulations

Great news, Benita,

I am so glad this is something bengin.  Did your doctor metion whether the surgery will be a laparotomy or laparoscopic?  If it is a laparotomy, meaning he needs to make an incision above your pubic bone, it takes about 6 weeks to fully recover from that procedure.  I don't know if that would interfere with your plans.  A laparoscopic procedure has a much shorter recovery time.  If he is certian about the diagnosis, there probably isn't really anything else to be concerned about and it sounds like it's a good idea to have it removed sooner than later.  If you have a laparotomy, they will probably keep you overnight in the hospital and you will have morphine while you are there and then some pain meds for when you go home.  I hope everytning goes smoothly.

Hi Tethys,

Hi Tethys,

my doctor mentioned having three wholes on my belly. also like 2 weeks recovery time. so I think it's laparoscopy.  I did ask if anything unexpected like cancer found after its taken out. what would happen. he said they will wait for the results and remove all needed if that happens. aldo he would need to call oncologist to perform such sergury.  I am wondering if that's a standard procedure. cause the scheduled procedure is in afternoon. I worry that if such happen, no oncologist is available that late.  I had my thyroid removed five years ago but i had two surgery because the first time results were waited but come back later to indicate cancer and I had to go again to remove the rest.  I don't want to be in such situation this time. so I want to make sure that it is prepared that way.  

I hope it's a standard apporapp so that I don't have to push my doctor to prepare that way. do you know about that?

many thanks!!!

• Tethys41

Hi Tethys,

Hi Tethys,

my doctor mentioned having three wholes on my belly. also like 2 weeks recovery time. so I think it's laparoscopy.  I did ask if anything unexpected like cancer found after its taken out. what would happen. he said they will wait for the results and remove all needed if that happens. aldo he would need to call oncologist to perform such sergury.  I am wondering if that's a standard procedure. cause the scheduled procedure is in afternoon. I worry that if such happen, no oncologist is available that late.  I had my thyroid removed five years ago but i had two surgery because the first time results were waited but come back later to indicate cancer and I had to go again to remove the rest.  I don't want to be in such situation this time. so I want to make sure that it is prepared that way.  

I hope it's a standard apporapp so that I don't have to push my doctor to prepare that way. do you know about that?

many thanks!!!

Surgeon

Hi Benita,

I am not clear as to whether they will be testing the cyst while you are still in surgery, or whether he is suggesting that the cyst will be sent off to pathology and if it is cancerous, you will have a second surgery?  I hope they plan to test it immediately and have the gynecologic oncologist take over while you are still in surgery, if necessary.  If there is cancer, the only type of surgeon qualified to handle the surgery is a gynecologic oncologist.  When I had my cyst removed, the gynecologist said there would be an oncologist on standby, in case I needed him.  That is how it should be set up.  When is your surgery scheduled?

• Benita1974
    edited June 2018 #14
    Tethys41 said:

Surgeon

Hi Benita,

I am not clear as to whether they will be testing the cyst while you are still in surgery, or whether he is suggesting that the cyst will be sent off to pathology and if it is cancerous, you will have a second surgery?  I hope they plan to test it immediately and have the gynecologic oncologist take over while you are still in surgery, if necessary.  If there is cancer, the only type of surgeon qualified to handle the surgery is a gynecologic oncologist.  When I had my cyst removed, the gynecologist said there would be an oncologist on standby, in case I needed him.  That is how it should be set up.  When is your surgery scheduled?

hi Tethys,

hi Tethys,

my surgery is scheduled to be July 18 although I was hoping to have it done sooner. I told them i may be having my period that day but the person who schedule for me didn't think it's an issue. when discussing with my doc he said he would be waiting while surgery and close up after knowing that it is indeed benign. but I didn't ask operational details. I guess I better call them and ask more specific about this.

may I ask how long was the waiting time for you during your surgery to find out the pathology result? what type of cyst was diagnosed for you? was there any suspicious of cancerous about your cyst? was it big? 

• Tethys41

hi Tethys,

hi Tethys,

my surgery is scheduled to be July 18 although I was hoping to have it done sooner. I told them i may be having my period that day but the person who schedule for me didn't think it's an issue. when discussing with my doc he said he would be waiting while surgery and close up after knowing that it is indeed benign. but I didn't ask operational details. I guess I better call them and ask more specific about this.

may I ask how long was the waiting time for you during your surgery to find out the pathology result? what type of cyst was diagnosed for you? was there any suspicious of cancerous about your cyst? was it big? 

Surgery

Hi Benita,

Everything sounds like it is headed in the right direction for you.  Sorry you couldn't get into surgery sooner.  I don't know how long it took for the pathology results.  I was still under anesthesia during that time.  They will find out whether it is benign, while you are still in surgery.  I had endomentriosis and no sign of cancer.  This was 10 years before my cancer diagnosis.  They removed the ovary with the cyst, which they told me they would.  The cyst they removed was 9 cm.  

Hang in there. 

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    edited June 2018 #16

hi Tethys,

hi Tethys,

My cancer was diagnosed during surgery

They usually send for a frozen section to be reviewed immediately if there is any question. We weren't expecting cancer,  but the oncology surgeon was on call and stepped in. 

• Benita1974
    Tethys41 said:

Surgery

Hi Benita,

Everything sounds like it is headed in the right direction for you.  Sorry you couldn't get into surgery sooner.  I don't know how long it took for the pathology results.  I was still under anesthesia during that time.  They will find out whether it is benign, while you are still in surgery.  I had endomentriosis and no sign of cancer.  This was 10 years before my cancer diagnosis.  They removed the ovary with the cyst, which they told me they would.  The cyst they removed was 9 cm.  

Hang in there. 

thanking you Tethys for

thanking you Tethys for sharing your story. I have a friend whose sister had same story that she  removed one ovary due to a cyst but 10years later diagnosed with late stage oc. I wonder if I could ask doc to consider remove both ovaries even if result don't know suggest cancer. just worried what will happen later

wish you all the best!

• Benita1974
    abrub said:

My cancer was diagnosed during surgery

They usually send for a frozen section to be reviewed immediately if there is any question. We weren't expecting cancer,  but the oncology surgeon was on call and stepped in. 

hi abrub, thanks for your

hi abrub, thanks for your reply. I am at hospital doing pre admission test. I saw the precedure description saying a possible total hysterectomy. also said diagnosis is complex cyst. felt more worried because I thought it was simple cyst.

may i ask if you had symptoms? I have abdominal pain and stomach discomfort. so I somehow have a bad feekings for this. 

• Tethys41

thanking you Tethys for

thanking you Tethys for sharing your story. I have a friend whose sister had same story that she  removed one ovary due to a cyst but 10years later diagnosed with late stage oc. I wonder if I could ask doc to consider remove both ovaries even if result don't know suggest cancer. just worried what will happen later

wish you all the best!

Ovaries

Hi Benita,

You can certainly request to have your ovaries removed.  When I had my surgery for endometriosis, the doctor suggested I do have a complete hysterectomy, ovaries and all, but I was only 39 and didn't want to go into menopause at that point.  That would be the side effect of removing your ovaries.  In hindsight, maybe menopause would have been preferable, buuuuttt.  I know the uncertainty is unnerving right now, but worrying about what may or may not be will only cause you stress.  Try to relax and hope for the best. 

Take care

• Benita1974
    Tethys41 said:

Ovaries

Hi Benita,

You can certainly request to have your ovaries removed.  When I had my surgery for endometriosis, the doctor suggested I do have a complete hysterectomy, ovaries and all, but I was only 39 and didn't want to go into menopause at that point.  That would be the side effect of removing your ovaries.  In hindsight, maybe menopause would have been preferable, buuuuttt.  I know the uncertainty is unnerving right now, but worrying about what may or may not be will only cause you stress.  Try to relax and hope for the best. 

Take care

thank you Tethys. I will do

thank you Tethys. I will do my best to relax. wish you all the best!

• Benita1974
    hi all,

hi all,

I had the surgery yesterday. it went smoothly without any complications. but I was weak when my doctor was talking to me. what I can remember now is that it's an endometriosis cyst. he didn't send frozen part for pathology and biopsy results will be available next week. I don't understand why it's the case because I was hoping to find pathology result during the procedure. anyway, nothing I can do now. just wait for the results and follow up.

thanks for everyone reading my posts and answer my question. 

Benita