Diarrhea/Nausea on chemo

Options
NHMike
NHMike Member Posts: 213 Member
edited August 2017 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I had some potstickers and tofu curry for dinner prior to taking Xeloda and felt a little naseau after eating it (probably shouldn't have had curry). I also felt like going to the bathroom but there was nothing there except a little water. I had diarrhea early this morning too. It seems like it may be constipation but I don't know. I did take the pills for this evening and do feel like sleeping but I wonder if I should also take a MiraLax in case there is constipation.

I did have a little of the jittery feeling too but no fever.

It doesn't feel like this is something to call the oncologist over (after hours) and it might all be gone in the morning. What do you folks think?

BTW, this is the fourth day of Xeloda/Radiation.

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Upset stomach

An upset stomach is my constant companion on Xeloda/Capecitabine, especially in the evening.  I find that taking the pills halfway through the meal (not at the start or end) helps a bit.  It may just be a psychological edge, but if it helps, it helps.  Fever was what they advised me to beware of, but nonetheless, if you are nervous, call.  You paid for the service, why not use it?  It will give you some comfort.

As to the pills for bowel control, I avoid them like the plague.  I am already taking too many chemicals.  I do drink some psyllium in the morning, and that has kept everything on an even keel throughout the chemo, but everyone is different.

By the way, the curry has tumeric, which is supposed to be an anti-cancer agent.  It seems to me you should eat whatever is palatable to you.  As you progress with the drug, those foods may become harder to find.

I hope you feel better soon.

• NHMike
    Options
    I tried to sleep but it didn

I tried to sleep but it didn't work so instead I spent an hour vacuuming (air quality hasn't been good because pollen levels have been through the roof this year). I felt considerably better after doing that. The pressure is likely due to gas as I released a huge amount of that, along with pee, this morning. I wasn't aware that I was drinking so much but I guess I was worried about dehydration. I broke open a large bottle of Powerade to provide fluids and electrolytes.

I asked my wife not to give me curry again through this. There are other ways to get Turmeric (Trader Joes Sesame Sticks have it). I did take the Miralax last night and I haven't seen any effects so far. It may be that there isn't much that wants to come out and that my overall problem was just gas.

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Stomach issues

Hi Mike - for at least the first week after chemo I seem to have a pattern - days of constipation which turns to some days of diarrhea.  i am trying all kinds of protocols.  Right now, trying to prepare with extra miralax or sennakot at least a day before chemo to try to lessen constipation. It has been one wk since my chemo and I am now dealing with diarrhea - get very few "normal" days, unless I take an extra week break.  Unfortunately, I think it is an individual thing, where we just have to see what's happening, and take either laxatives or anti-diarrhea, foods that help, or other - everyone responds differently, and I find it can change day to day.  My chemo cocktail (folfiri + avastin) sure creates a lot of stomach issues for me, and I'm always scraping for ways to deal with them.  Also trying to maintain my weight, but it is hard to do when all of this is going on in my intestinal area. I do find (for some reason) that chewing peppermint gum helps to ease mild nausea and my upset stomach.  Best of luck dealing with this.

• SandiaBuddy
    edited August 2017 #5
    Options
    NHMike said:

I tried to sleep but it didn

I tried to sleep but it didn't work so instead I spent an hour vacuuming (air quality hasn't been good because pollen levels have been through the roof this year). I felt considerably better after doing that. The pressure is likely due to gas as I released a huge amount of that, along with pee, this morning. I wasn't aware that I was drinking so much but I guess I was worried about dehydration. I broke open a large bottle of Powerade to provide fluids and electrolytes.

I asked my wife not to give me curry again through this. There are other ways to get Turmeric (Trader Joes Sesame Sticks have it). I did take the Miralax last night and I haven't seen any effects so far. It may be that there isn't much that wants to come out and that my overall problem was just gas.

gas

Uh, yeah, I forgot to mention that gas is a side effect as well.  Melatonin might help with the sleep.  It also has anti-cancer properties as well.

• NHMike
    edited August 2017 #6
    Options
    Bellen said:

Stomach issues

Hi Mike - for at least the first week after chemo I seem to have a pattern - days of constipation which turns to some days of diarrhea.  i am trying all kinds of protocols.  Right now, trying to prepare with extra miralax or sennakot at least a day before chemo to try to lessen constipation. It has been one wk since my chemo and I am now dealing with diarrhea - get very few "normal" days, unless I take an extra week break.  Unfortunately, I think it is an individual thing, where we just have to see what's happening, and take either laxatives or anti-diarrhea, foods that help, or other - everyone responds differently, and I find it can change day to day.  My chemo cocktail (folfiri + avastin) sure creates a lot of stomach issues for me, and I'm always scraping for ways to deal with them.  Also trying to maintain my weight, but it is hard to do when all of this is going on in my intestinal area. I do find (for some reason) that chewing peppermint gum helps to ease mild nausea and my upset stomach.  Best of luck dealing with this.

I had a chat with the

I had a chat with the nutritionist and she gave me a handout and basically said that I have to adjust foods depending on whether it was constipation or diarrhea. So I think that I may go out and get another package of MiraLax and take that when I feel C coming on and skip it when it's D.

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Potstickers?

Mike:

Help me out.  What is a potsticker?  My family of origin was from the deep south and I have never heard of a potsticker.  On the other hand, I do know what pot liquor is.

FYI - I did not see either of them on the ACS "not recommended" diet list so they must be healthy.  And speaking of healthy diets, I have always detested beets and sweet potatoes.  If they appear on a recommended cancer diet I still will not eat them.  However, I do eat just about all other vegetables.  I was once told to eat the rainbow, and you can only do that with vegetables (and neopolitan ice cream!).

Happy Friday night everyone.  For those of us who get two days of reprieve from chemo/radiation, these weekends are precious.  In fact, they mean more to me now than they did when I was a teenager going on dates.

Jim

• NHMike
    Options

Potstickers?

Mike:

Help me out.  What is a potsticker?  My family of origin was from the deep south and I have never heard of a potsticker.  On the other hand, I do know what pot liquor is.

FYI - I did not see either of them on the ACS "not recommended" diet list so they must be healthy.  And speaking of healthy diets, I have always detested beets and sweet potatoes.  If they appear on a recommended cancer diet I still will not eat them.  However, I do eat just about all other vegetables.  I was once told to eat the rainbow, and you can only do that with vegetables (and neopolitan ice cream!).

Happy Friday night everyone.  For those of us who get two days of reprieve from chemo/radiation, these weekends are precious.  In fact, they mean more to me now than they did when I was a teenager going on dates.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Hello Jim,

Yes, I remember your comments about last weekend. We're going to the beach tommorrow for a break.

A potsticker is a small dumpling, popularized by the Chinese. It's a thin dough piece, usually in a circle, that's folded over itself and it can contain meat, spices and/or vegetables. It's then pan-fried and served hot. It's typically served with Asian dipping sauces and it's one of the dishes popular with Millennials. My wife can make them from scratch when she wants to do something out of the ordinary but, lately, we get them from Costco.

• SandiaBuddy
    Options

Potstickers?

Mike:

Jim

Absence of chemo

The absence of chemo is better than a hot date?  My, my, how values have changed.  Not that I disagree.

• airborne72
    Options

Absence of chemo

The absence of chemo is better than a hot date?  My, my, how values have changed.  Not that I disagree.

"What's it going to be boy - yes or no?"

I once read that the favorite song of nursing home residents was "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" sung by Meatloaf.  I am not a nursing home resident, but each day it seems that I am one step closer (joke) and I can now see why nursing home residents voted that song their best.

The music is on spot and the lyrics are very clever.  However, the message is so applicable to so many of us.  What I would give to be 17 again for just one weekend.  Wow!

You'll notice that I did not mention the verse about praying for the end of time.  Teasing about that could disrupt the domestic tranquility currently in vogue at my house.

Jim

• SandiaBuddy
    Options

"What's it going to be boy - yes or no?"

I once read that the favorite song of nursing home residents was "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" sung by Meatloaf.  I am not a nursing home resident, but each day it seems that I am one step closer (joke) and I can now see why nursing home residents voted that song their best.

The music is on spot and the lyrics are very clever.  However, the message is so applicable to so many of us.  What I would give to be 17 again for just one weekend.  Wow!

You'll notice that I did not mention the verse about praying for the end of time.  Teasing about that could disrupt the domestic tranquility currently in vogue at my house.

Jim

Meatloaf

Maybe at the nursing home (Like at Rocky Horror Picture Show) they will ask:

Q: What's for dinner?

A: Meatloaf

Maybe we need nominations for cancer theme songs.  Off the top of my head I would nominate Steely Dan's "Any World" but probably on further thought there is be a better selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XLcejLgvaU

• airborne72
    edited August 2017 #12
    Options

Meatloaf

Maybe at the nursing home (Like at Rocky Horror Picture Show) they will ask:

Q: What's for dinner?

A: Meatloaf

Maybe we need nominations for cancer theme songs.  Off the top of my head I would nominate Steely Dan's "Any World" but probably on further thought there is be a better selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XLcejLgvaU

"All my friends will be there too..."

SandiaBuddy:

Your link got me started and helped me spend some quality time this afternoon while enduring some not so quality time.  For whatever reason this weekend has literally kicked me hard.  My energy is zero and my instestinal cramps are painful.  But, your link to some insightful music was therapuetic.  Thank you.

After listening to Steely Dan I continued to seek out songs from my past.  This is where my youtube music journey wandered.

AC/DC and "Hiway to Hell"  If you want to jolt a circulatory system into motion then listen to this song.  Make sure it is turned up very loud.  These guys are crazy.

Dire Straights and "Money for Nothing"  I have always identified with the logic in these lyrics.  Some people work hard while others play, and those that play get money for nothing.

Ted Nugent and "Stranglehold"  Strong guitar vibes that accompany some strong emotion.  Funny how powerful love can be.

Steppenwolf and "The Pusherman"  These lyrics are brash and offensive, but straight to the point of just how insidious drug abuse truly is.

Joe Cocker and "With a Little Help of my Friends"  Whenever we feel alone and distraught it is songs like this that can revive hope in humankind.  We are not in this race alone and as Simon and Garfunkle aptly sang - no man is an island.

Jackson Browne and "The Pretender"  I often recall one of the verses in this song when I get tired and weary.  It seems to provide just a bit of motivation.  "And when the morning light comes streaming in, I'll get up and do it again."  By the way, the N in RANGER stands for never quit!

Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Free Bird"  This is the national anthem for free spirits - free from cancer!!

If a psychologist and psychiatrist reviewed this list they would probably say that I have both a soft side and a hard side, or that I am suppressing feelings of escape.  All I know is that it all started in the 60's.

Thanks again SandiaBuddy for helping me "make it through the night."  Opps, there I go again.  That line is credited to Kris Kristofferson.

Jim

• NHMike
    Options

SandiaBuddy:

Your link got me started and helped me spend some quality time this afternoon while enduring some not so quality time.  For whatever reason this weekend has literally kicked me hard.  My energy is zero and my instestinal cramps are painful.  But, your link to some insightful music was therapuetic.  Thank you.

After listening to Steely Dan I continued to seek out songs from my past.  This is where my youtube music journey wandered.

AC/DC and "Hiway to Hell"  If you want to jolt a circulatory system into motion then listen to this song.  Make sure it is turned up very loud.  These guys are crazy.

Dire Straights and "Money for Nothing"  I have always identified with the logic in these lyrics.  Some people work hard while others play, and those that play get money for nothing.

Ted Nugent and "Stranglehold"  Strong guitar vibes that accompany some strong emotion.  Funny how powerful love can be.

Steppenwolf and "The Pusherman"  These lyrics are brash and offensive, but straight to the point of just how insidious drug abuse truly is.

Joe Cocker and "With a Little Help of my Friends"  Whenever we feel alone and distraught it is songs like this that can revive hope in humankind.  We are not in this race alone and as Simon and Garfunkle aptly sang - no man is an island.

Jackson Browne and "The Pretender"  I often recall one of the verses in this song when I get tired and weary.  It seems to provide just a bit of motivation.  "And when the morning light comes streaming in, I'll get up and do it again."  By the way, the N in RANGER stands for never quit!

Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Free Bird"  This is the national anthem for free spirits - free from cancer!!

If a psychologist and psychiatrist reviewed this list they would probably say that I have both a soft side and a hard side, or that I am suppressing feelings of escape.  All I know is that it all started in the 60's.

Thanks again SandiaBuddy for helping me "make it through the night."  Opps, there I go again.  That line is credited to Kris Kristofferson.

Jim

Back on the Xeloda this

Back on the Xeloda this morning and I had some jitters and lots of stomach queasiness this afternoon. It doesn't sound as bad as what you're going through though. Wasn't able to go for 2.5 days despite Miralax and irrigation and then a little last night and much more today. Sometimes I think that letting it out or letting it flow through me is creating the queasiness. My wife is having a hard time asking me what I want as I don't want to aggravate it.

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    NHMike said:

Back on the Xeloda this

Back on the Xeloda this morning and I had some jitters and lots of stomach queasiness this afternoon. It doesn't sound as bad as what you're going through though. Wasn't able to go for 2.5 days despite Miralax and irrigation and then a little last night and much more today. Sometimes I think that letting it out or letting it flow through me is creating the queasiness. My wife is having a hard time asking me what I want as I don't want to aggravate it.

NHMike have you

Have you thought about trying to keep a food journal,  making note of what you eat and how it affects you? Sometimes,  staying away from certain foods helps, but sometimes, no matter what I eat or don't eat, the diarrhea  will hit when I'm on certain drugs. When I first started on the Erbitux and Irinotecan last year I found myself  eating dried prunes to help with the constipation from the Erbitux  then switching to Imodium  to deal with the Irinotecan-induced diarrhea. But most of the time, thank  goodness, I can control the worst of it by modifying my diet. Also, I don't know if i this is generally recommended, but it has worked for me throughout  the two years of chemo,  both for the Folfox plus Avastin, and for my current tegimen - -I've found that I do much better if I don't eat on the morning of an infusion and eat  very lightly  once I get home.  I can go back to my normal eating routine the next day.

• SandiaBuddy
    Options

SandiaBuddy:

Jim

New Thread

Jim:

I started a new thread for the music question here: https://csn.cancer.org/node/311240

Speaking of Kris Kristopherson, how about "Why me Lord?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtQOY-0sViQ

Or for the religious (not me, I am an atheist) there is always "If it be your will" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkEYkUxdhcU

I had a lot of fun on my walk this evening thinking of songs--how about Joe Jackson, Everything gives you cancer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQyru5ACmA

I sometimes wander around music on youtube when I am feeling blue.  Somehow it seems to help.  I hope some of the others on the site have some songs to share.

• SandiaBuddy
    Options
    Psyllium

I can really recommend giving psyllium seeds a try.  They are a natural product and won't load yet another chemical into your body.

• NHMike
    edited August 2017 #17
    Options
    lizard44 said:

NHMike have you

Have you thought about trying to keep a food journal,  making note of what you eat and how it affects you? Sometimes,  staying away from certain foods helps, but sometimes, no matter what I eat or don't eat, the diarrhea  will hit when I'm on certain drugs. When I first started on the Erbitux and Irinotecan last year I found myself  eating dried prunes to help with the constipation from the Erbitux  then switching to Imodium  to deal with the Irinotecan-induced diarrhea. But most of the time, thank  goodness, I can control the worst of it by modifying my diet. Also, I don't know if i this is generally recommended, but it has worked for me throughout  the two years of chemo,  both for the Folfox plus Avastin, and for my current tegimen - -I've found that I do much better if I don't eat on the morning of an infusion and eat  very lightly  once I get home.  I can go back to my normal eating routine the next day.

I do food tracking using

I do food tracking using LiveStrong MyPlate but I don't correlate it to how I'm feeling. So I know what I ate for breakfast/lunch/dinner but I don't really compare it with my health notes on how I'm feeling at the time. I just try to do things mentally. I have a couple of classes of problems and it's likely that there's a causal relationship between what I eat and what happens but it varies due to other factors.

• plsletitrain
    plsletitrain Member Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think its normal

At least that's what I felt.  I'm now on my fourth day and I still have that metallic taste in the mouth, I don't have appetite, and I've got some few diarrhea (but I have an ileostomy bag so that's no problem with me).  Just keep yourself hydrated.  I try to drink water as much as I can even if water feels bitter.  Ugh, I can't wait for all of this to over.