New

Wellzen
Wellzen Member Posts: 42

Thought I was have hemorrhoid removed, ended up being Squamous cell carcinoma. Start radiation and Chemo next week. I have a great team. Still scared...

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Wellzen

I'm sorry you have gotten this news, but glad you are in good hands!  Welcome to this group.  Please let us help you in answering any questions you might have.  We have all been there, done that!  You will get through this.  I know it seems daunting right now, but you can do it!  Let us know if you need any information--we're here to help you.  I wish you all the very best!

Martha

• Wellzen
    edited July 2017 #3
    Thank you Martha. There is so

Thank you Martha. There is so much to take in. Still shocked but I know I can do this

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Wellzen...

Hi, It is always so sad to welcome another to this family of ours, yet I am also so happy that we are here for each other when the need is there. Many people here were initially seen for what was suspected to be hemorrhoid issues and then eventually diagnosed with anal cancer. It is good you have an acurate diagnosis and will begin treatment soon. It won't be long and this will be a thing of the past, and know that we will be with you as questions arise and you move forward. It is scary, I know, but for me I felt better once actually starting treatment and doing something to fight this. (6 1/2 years ago) I hope that knowing you are not alone will help to ease just a bit of your anxiety too....I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you move ahead.

katheryn

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Wellzen

I think Katheryn said it very well- welcome to the group but sad yet another person has to go through this. It is scary, you sound like you are still in the shocked phase. It sounds like it was just a short time between your diagnosis and getting all the treatment set up. Glad you are getting started next week and that you like your team. Please keep us updated on how you are doing if you can.

• Tyndraj
    Tyndraj Member Posts: 2
    i am so sorry that you have

i am so sorry that you have to endure this but know you are not alone. 

Tyndra

• LindaBaehr
    LindaBaehr Member Posts: 47
    edited July 2017 #7
    If You Need Advice....

So sorry.  If you need any advice, or tip and tricks on how to get thrugh, just ask or read old threads.  We are pros.  Foot in Mouth

• Wellzen
    Thank you @eihtak,

Thank you @eihtak, @Mollymaude, @Tyndraj, @LindaBaehr. I had pic placed. Ready to start treatments on Monday.

• Mollymaude
    edited July 2017 #9
    Wellzen

I will be sending positive thoughts your way. The first week went smoothly for me, I hope it does for you too. The main bother I found was being hooked up to the 5FU chemo for five days. Don't hesitate to take the naseau meds if you need them.

• Wellzen
    Thanks Mollymaude. I will

Thanks Mollymaude. I will definitely let someone know if I feel nausea. I have a huge folder of information. Docs. and nurses said to let them know about any side effect right away. I will try to keep on top of it

• Mollymaude
    Froggy

You sound like you are doing great considering where you are at in treatment! So glad to see you have the energy and gumption to post during the last of this. I remember you have a long ride to and from treatment and that your husband has his own health issues - I am hoping that part is going ok too.

• Froggy32
    Froggy32 Member Posts: 79

Froggy

You sound like you are doing great considering where you are at in treatment! So glad to see you have the energy and gumption to post during the last of this. I remember you have a long ride to and from treatment and that your husband has his own health issues - I am hoping that part is going ok too.

Thanks mollymaude

I am doing pretty good except being tired all of the time. The diarrhea is under control(crossing fingers) at the moment. I have only lost 10 lbs, which that wouldn't have been too bad if I lost more than that. . Hopefully I won't have anything worse than I already do in the next 2 weeks. 

My hubby is doing fair. we are getting behind on cleaning and yard work, but that is ok. It will still be there when we get to feeling better. 

• Wellzen
    Thank you Froggy32. I am

Thank you Froggy32. I am sorry you are going through this. You are doing so well. You definitely picked up my spirts. Some of the posts I have read did not.  Love the tip about a small purse. I have one I will have to use. I have a few skirts too......would be nice not to have to change into gown. Already have my Imodium. I hope you and your. Husband continue to do well..

• Froggy32
    Wellzen said:

Thank you Froggy32. I am

Thank you Froggy32. I am sorry you are going through this. You are doing so well. You definitely picked up my spirts. Some of the posts I have read did not.  Love the tip about a small purse. I have one I will have to use. I have a few skirts too......would be nice not to have to change into gown. Already have my Imodium. I hope you and your. Husband continue to do well..

Thanks

I am glad to help if I can. Everyone on here have been very helpful to me. Another good tip I got was to stock up on baby wipes to use instead of tp, because the radiation will make you very tender and sore. Also make sure you don't have any lotions or cream on your body before your radiation, because it will burn you more. My dr gave me some lotion with lidocaine in it for use after. It helps a lot. 

It was so much trouble getting changed every time into a hospital gown. I had to run the tubing from the chemo bag through sleeves and stuff. Now I just go in and done. I also carry a small pair of slipper socks,(with the tread on the bottom) and leave my shoes in the locker with my bag.. hope your treatments go okay. 

• Froggy32
    Hi welzen

I was diagnosed with the same thing in April. I am in my 6 the week monday of radiation and the chemo pump. I have a picc line and they change it out every week.  It is just so annoying to carry around all the time. I found a small black purse with a long strap that I cross over my chest to carry mine. At first they gave me a fanny pack to put around my waist. I didn't like that at all. 

Another tip, is to wear loose dresses besides being easier on you and comfortable. It makes it is easier to have the radiation, you can just pull the dress up and don't have to change into a hospital gown. It is very inconvenient to run the lines and bag through your sleeve. Good luck with all of this. It will go faster than you think. I have 2 weeks left. I haven't had any serious side effects other than diarrhea pretty bad for a few days, and still do occasionally. My dr told me to take lotomtril (prescription) and an Imodium together about every 2 hours when it is really bad. 

• Soknwt
    Soknwt Member Posts: 4
    Joining you in the fight

I am joining in the same fight.  I start Wednesday with chemo and radiation.  I thought I had a swollen hemorroid and ended up being Squamous cell carcinoma.  Then they discover that there is a small cell carcinoma (also found in lung cancer) with the Squamous cell.  I have had a PET-CT and it has not metastisized, but amn having a MRI tomorrow for the brain I guess.  My chemo will go for three days with a 21-day break between treatments.  I do that for four sessions along with daily sessions of radiation for six weeks.  I hope this seems like the standard care for this.  I'm in Alaska, so there aren't a lot of options.

• Mollymaude
    Soknwt

Glad you found us, sorry you have to be here. Standard treatment is two rounds of chemo with both mitomycin C and 5 flourouracil. First round at beginning of treatment and second at 5 weeks. Plus six weeks of 5 days a week radiation. Martha may read this and give some websites for you. Old threads cover lots of info but if you don't fmind the answer to your question feel free to ask. Keep us posted if you can on how you are doing. Even if all you want to do is vent we are here for that too. The treatment protocol is pretty standardized and it sounds like you are getting the standard protocol. Not sure how they address the other cell type though, I would ask specifically about that. Even though you are in Alaska you can probably get a "virtual" consult anywhere you would like. If you want a second opinion it is not unreasonable to ask. You will be in my thoughts and I pray your MRI does not show metastisis.

• Mollymaude
    Froggy

You are right about getting behind on everything during treatment but like you say it will still be there when you get to feeling better and can get caught up. I found the cancer taught me to prioritize (if I only have enough energy for two stores which ones do I go to, do I really need to make that trip to Walmart, etc)

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited July 2017 #19
    Soknwt

Here are 3 websites for you to check out:  https://www.NCCN.org       This website requires a quick registration, but then you'll have access to the latest treatment guidelines for anal cancer.

This is the website for the HPV and Anal Cancer Foundation:  https://www.analcancerfoundation.org/

This is the website for the University of California/San Francisco:  http://analcancerinfo.ucsf.edu/

I hope you'll check these out and that a lot of your questions will be answered.  Best wishes to you as you begin this journey.

Martha

• Wellzen
    edited July 2017 #20
    Soknwt, sorry to hear of your

Soknwt, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It takes a while to sink in. I have found a lot of good information on this site. Froggy32, I have a comfy skirt on. Ready for first round of chemo and radiation today

• Froggy32
    edited July 2017 #21
    Wellzen said:

Soknwt, sorry to hear of your

Soknwt, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It takes a while to sink in. I have found a lot of good information on this site. Froggy32, I have a comfy skirt on. Ready for first round of chemo and radiation today

Just hang in there.

It will go faster than you think. I start my next to the last week today. Getting ready to go now.