Anxiety brewing

Options
Phil64
Phil64 Member Posts: 838 Member
edited June 2017 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I'm getting scans and tests this Thursday and already the anxiety is beginning. Not only about the tests and results but also about the contrast injection. The last two scans were not good. As soon as the contrast was injected I started feeling nauseated. And the nausea led to vomiting. The doctor prescribed a different anti nausea medication for this round and he wants me to receive the injection through an IV in my arm as opposed to my port. He said the port delivers the contrast straight to my heart and the IV throug the arm will allow for the contrast to dilute a bit before going through the heart. 

So I'm hoping for good results and not getting sick. But I'm feeling nauseated already just thinking about that test.

HELP ME. Any suggestions on combatting the nausea and mental effects of having gotten sick???

I so dislike cancer, chemo, tests and all the ugly procedures we have to endure. 

Love and Light to you all.

Phil.

NED since 12/5/2014

blog: http://pscamihor.me

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Aw Phil. It's bad enough just

Aw Phil. It's bad enough just worrying about the results without having to worry about that, too. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I have my next CT scan on Monday and I've been sweating about the results. I won't get them until I see my onc the next week and I'm already trying to steel myself mentally. CT scans are easy for me, it's really s****y that you have to deal with having a reaction to it. And I can imagine how just thinking about it would make you neaseous. I got sick on some kind of shooters that had Grand Marnier in them when I was 18 and I still can't even think about it or smell it. I know it's a mental thing but it's very visceral.

I wish I had an idea for you to help but nausea is something I've rarely dealt with in my life, ever. And the worrying will just make you feel worse. I hope you can come up with something. The few times I had nausea I took Gravol but it knocks me off my feet like a sleeping pill. Maybe cannabis would help? People are always talking about how it helps with nausea and appetite, probably anxiety, too.

Hugs,

Jan

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Breathing Exercises

Something that could help is breathing exercises.  Try to slowly take a breath through your nose and then exhale gently breathe out through pursed lips so your hear the sound of the air leaving.  Try to inhale as long as possible and exhale as long as possible.  Don't do it so much that you feel like you need to take a breath, just as long as comfortable.  As you do it more, your time will extend.  Do it with your eyes closed and just concentrate on the sound of the breath.  Once you get the hang of it, it will help relax you even if there is sound around you.

I am not a fan of needles due to having some issues, only once or twice, awhile ago.  So when they take blood now (where they cannot use my port), I use this.  It also helps with nausea (for me).  Have used it on boats and other times.  Perhaps this will help. I know it helps calm me down.

Sorry you are going through this, the constant reminder of dealing with this due to periodic scans and bloodwork is enough of a pain without all the extra you have had with it.

Thoughts with you for an easy scan and continuing NED.

• sflgirl
    sflgirl Member Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    In addition

In addition to Newheres good advice I will agee with your doc that the iv administration will likely help by diluting it.  While I have had a queasy feeling during the contrast I have not gotten sick and I bet you won't either.  Envision success and hopefully it will come.  You are brave and tough.  

Best

Andrea

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    All will be well

which, is so easy to type and not at all helpful. 

This week I had to get impressions done of my teeth (in prep for a crown). The last time I had impressions, I gagged and chocked and spluttered and cried like a baby and this week I sat in the chair practically shaking with fear. 

I had my iPhone with me, and asked the Dentist if I could play some of my meditation music, which of course he allowed. I did that while breathing (as NewHere said) and got through the process with just a few tears. 

It is horrible being anxious. As you know, it makes things 100 times worse, but still we get ourselves into a state. 

So, my only suggestions are to relax yourself as much as you can from now until your scan. Take some music in with you, something that works for you - meditation or hard rock - Whatever works to get to to a place of semi relaxation. 

I'll be thinking of you and sending up prayers. 

HUGS!

Tru

• Phil64
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice. I

Thanks for the good advice. I will practice relaxation exercises and focus on success. I know that is the best plan. And I think the point about the liqueur that got you sick is right on. Blah. 

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Happy place.

One of the meditation counselors at the facility I attend did a meditation exercise that had us walking through our favorite outdoor space.  walking slowly looking at the dappled sunlight filtering through the trees    Smelling the forest smells  hearing the birds chirping   Etc etc   Practice something like this  it can be walking on a beach, being at the baseball stadium   Wherever is a safe and happy spot for you ( but not an emotional spot that'll trigger all kind of other stuff for sure).   If you practice enough you'll be able to bring it up for when you need a change of scenery to calm yourself   

I guarantee it works!!!

Good luck with your scan   

Ps   If you're a Star Wars fan  using a mantra like   I am one with the force, the force is one with me   May work   

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    PamRav said:

Happy place.

One of the meditation counselors at the facility I attend did a meditation exercise that had us walking through our favorite outdoor space.  walking slowly looking at the dappled sunlight filtering through the trees    Smelling the forest smells  hearing the birds chirping   Etc etc   Practice something like this  it can be walking on a beach, being at the baseball stadium   Wherever is a safe and happy spot for you ( but not an emotional spot that'll trigger all kind of other stuff for sure).   If you practice enough you'll be able to bring it up for when you need a change of scenery to calm yourself   

I guarantee it works!!!

Good luck with your scan   

Ps   If you're a Star Wars fan  using a mantra like   I am one with the force, the force is one with me   May work   

Guided imagery

It saved my bacon during chemo. 

There are CD's you can buy, Phil. I like the ones by Bellaruth Naparstek. She does one on Anxiety and Stress. I did the one for chemo treatment. 

Just an idea. Glad PamRav mentioned it. 

Tru

• ThomasH
    ThomasH Member Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2017 #9
    Options
    Lots of good advice

I can vouch for  couple things that have also worked for me. I've used canabis, which does work for both nausea and anxiety. It certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea for sure, but it is on the list of options anyway (if you had someone to drive for you). I like headphones, music, and breathing excersises. Really any of those things that turn off the brain. Ginger tea works pretty good for nausea too, or some nice chamomile is really relaxing.

I've thrown up with one CT scan as well, and what my technicians told me is that they can adjust the flow rate for the dye. My port isnt rated for power injections so I've never been able to use it for the dye. You might ask if they are able to slow the speed that they inject it and see if that helps you any. It helped me anyway.

Here's hoping you have both an easy scan, and a flawlessly clear result.

Good luck Phil

Thomas

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Bummer

I'm so sorry for your terrible experience with the scan and how it affects you.  The only problem I've ever had with the contrast is after as it makes me feel very shaky and really cold.  I'm not able to warm up for hours after.  I'm hoping that all goes well with your scans.  I've been through some tests lately that has made me so sick from worry I'm not able to sleep at night.  Fear is terrible.  You are always in my prayers as this group is my prayers daily.

Kim

• MAliceR
    MAliceR Member Posts: 98
    Options
    I hear ya

We all understand exactly where you are. I am sitting here today waiting to hear about my CEA test. I had it done last Tuesday and still haven't gotten results. My family keeps telling me to call the Dr but I a afraid. It is like as long as I don't know, I don't know, it that makes sense. So I drive myself crazy waiting. I don't think the stress of the tests ever goes away. I am fortunate I don't get sick while having the tests, but I usually stress myself out so badly I get a horrible migraine afterwards and have to go to bed for awhile. I believe there are a lot of PTSD triggers going on with all of us. I asked my counselor about it and she agreed that we all are so impacted by our disease and everything that goes along with it, it is common to have PTSD. She suggested if I want it to have a light anti anxiety med for the day of the test. I haven't done it yet but feel good knowing it is there if I need it. I am thinking I might need it for the testing and waiting for the results. I think I drive my family and friends nuts. I have also tried meditation and yoga. I am not sure it helped much. But I don't think anything that might help is a bad idea. 

Good luck with your tests. I hope everything goes better this time. 

Blessings

MAlice

• JanJan63
    edited June 2017 #12
    Options
    MAliceR said:

I hear ya

We all understand exactly where you are. I am sitting here today waiting to hear about my CEA test. I had it done last Tuesday and still haven't gotten results. My family keeps telling me to call the Dr but I a afraid. It is like as long as I don't know, I don't know, it that makes sense. So I drive myself crazy waiting. I don't think the stress of the tests ever goes away. I am fortunate I don't get sick while having the tests, but I usually stress myself out so badly I get a horrible migraine afterwards and have to go to bed for awhile. I believe there are a lot of PTSD triggers going on with all of us. I asked my counselor about it and she agreed that we all are so impacted by our disease and everything that goes along with it, it is common to have PTSD. She suggested if I want it to have a light anti anxiety med for the day of the test. I haven't done it yet but feel good knowing it is there if I need it. I am thinking I might need it for the testing and waiting for the results. I think I drive my family and friends nuts. I have also tried meditation and yoga. I am not sure it helped much. But I don't think anything that might help is a bad idea. 

Good luck with your tests. I hope everything goes better this time. 

Blessings

MAlice

I agree. I had my Ct

I agree. I had my Ct yesterday and made my husband go with me even though it's really not necessary. I always cry during it and the nurses get worried because they think something's wrong but the only thing that's wrong is that I'm gettting a CT scan because I have cancer. On the way home on the highway we ran over a gopher. It ran the way we weren't expecting and it couldn't be avoided. But I'm a huge animal lover and that got me crying again. Thankfull it was quick, it didn't suffer. Then when we got home I had a nap. I was exhausted from the stress.

The scan isn't bad for me at all. In and out quick, less than ten minutes, not ecen having to change out of my clothes. but I hate having to do things that I'm only doing because I have cancer. It just makes it so in your face. 

Jan

• Phil64
    Options
    Thank you all again. Here it

Thank you all again. Here it is 4am of test day. I woke up at 2:45am and have been tossing and turning. Luckily my wide is still sleeping. I will use some suggestions from this post today. I will flocus on a happy place and try to clear my mind. 

i wish we all had an anxiety dial that we could simply turn down. But it isn't that simple.

Watched Americas Got Talent yesterday (Recorded). One of the young contestants told her story about her father who was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer. Watching them tell the story made me feel sad. It reminded me how the cancer battle affects more than just the patient. Young children of parents with cancer are especially impacted. Errr. Now I'm feeling anger. And then I remember that "It is what it is." 

We fight because that is what we do!

Blessings to you all.

Philip

• Cindy225
    Cindy225 Member Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Positive Energy Your Way

Everyone is rooting for you today Phil!!

• ThomasH
    ThomasH Member Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Here's to finding nothing at all Phil

I hope you have the most uninteresting scan ever, in every respect.

Good luck sir.

• JanJan63
    edited June 2017 #16
    Options
    I came on here first thing to

I came on here first thing to see if you'd been on, Phil. I will be thinking about you all day. I ptay you'll find something to take the edge off and sail through it. 

I am also finding myself very angry about cancer these days except I'm holding on to mine. Having my scan the other day brought up all kinds of emotions from sadness and frustration to downright rage. I'm sick of seeing pictures of small children with cancer, adults with cancer, people's pets with cancer, cancer in general. There's been a LOT of money donated and provided to fight it and its about time it happens. It makes me sad to see people do things like shave their head for cancer. They get donations and that's cool but for the love of God, find a freaking cure already! I realize that it's hard from the fact that all cancers are different to the fact that providing someone with a placebo while testing means they will die but I can't believe that with all the cures they've found for other things that this defies them. I wish I was in cancer research so I'd at least feel like I was doing something to help. But, in a few days I'll get over it and be back to normal, acting like it's not a big deal so people won't feel sorry for me because I hate that. 

Anyway, sending positive thoughts your way. 

Jan

• Phil64
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

I came on here first thing to

I came on here first thing to see if you'd been on, Phil. I will be thinking about you all day. I ptay you'll find something to take the edge off and sail through it. 

I am also finding myself very angry about cancer these days except I'm holding on to mine. Having my scan the other day brought up all kinds of emotions from sadness and frustration to downright rage. I'm sick of seeing pictures of small children with cancer, adults with cancer, people's pets with cancer, cancer in general. There's been a LOT of money donated and provided to fight it and its about time it happens. It makes me sad to see people do things like shave their head for cancer. They get donations and that's cool but for the love of God, find a freaking cure already! I realize that it's hard from the fact that all cancers are different to the fact that providing someone with a placebo while testing means they will die but I can't believe that with all the cures they've found for other things that this defies them. I wish I was in cancer research so I'd at least feel like I was doing something to help. But, in a few days I'll get over it and be back to normal, acting like it's not a big deal so people won't feel sorry for me because I hate that. 

Anyway, sending positive thoughts your way. 

Jan

I just checked the MyUofMHealth.org portal to see if my CEA was available for today's tests.  They had posted some other blood test results but not my CEA, which I would have expected to see by now. They usually take longer for scan results but CEA is usually there within a few hours.

I'm soo nervous now. I hate having this scary feeling. 

On the good side I did NOT get sick this time.  I did become nauseated and was very close to losing it. The technician in the room was crazy good. She coached me through it, getting me to take deep breaths and helping to divert my thinking away from the nausea. She saved me from getting sick and I thanked her profusely. 

I'm so nervous now. I don't want to call cause I know it won't change anything and I wish I had waited longer before looking. 

• Phil64
    Options
    Phil64 said:

I just checked the MyUofMHealth.org portal to see if my CEA was available for today's tests.  They had posted some other blood test results but not my CEA, which I would have expected to see by now. They usually take longer for scan results but CEA is usually there within a few hours.

On the good side I did NOT get sick this time.  I did become nauseated and was very close to losing it. The technician in the room was crazy good. She coached me through it, getting me to take deep breaths and helping to divert my thinking away from the nausea. She saved me from getting sick and I thanked her profusely. 

I'm so nervous now. I don't want to call cause I know it won't change anything and I wish I had waited longer before looking. 

UPDATE!!!

I received an email prompting me to look in the portal to get results. When the CEA wasn't there I was soooo nervous. After posting to this board I thought I'd just have to bother my oncologist's practicioner. I feel really lucky that they actually gave me their cell phones and email.  I can either email or text them, or call them the old fashioned way. 

I texted her:

Me: Pam, I'm so nerveous. The other blood tests were posted to the portal but my CEA was not. Is the CEA result in? 

Pam: Still a boring old < 1 ;-)

Me: omg. This anxiety is crazy. THANK YOU!!!

Pam: My pleasure!

My feelings:  Big big SMILE. Sense of releif to the point of tears. This is crazy!!! Still waiting for the scan results but I'll take the CEA test for sure!!!

Thank you all for your support. You know I don't tell any of my family about these crazy anxiety attacks. I try to stay even keel so they don't have to have the emotional roller coaster ride too. And it sure does help to post to you all who KNOW EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!!

THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!

• Phil64
    Options
    Phil64 said:

UPDATE!!!

I received an email prompting me to look in the portal to get results. When the CEA wasn't there I was soooo nervous. After posting to this board I thought I'd just have to bother my oncologist's practicioner. I feel really lucky that they actually gave me their cell phones and email.  I can either email or text them, or call them the old fashioned way. 

I texted her:

Me: Pam, I'm so nerveous. The other blood tests were posted to the portal but my CEA was not. Is the CEA result in? 

Pam: Still a boring old < 1 ;-)

Me: omg. This anxiety is crazy. THANK YOU!!!

Pam: My pleasure!

My feelings:  Big big SMILE. Sense of releif to the point of tears. This is crazy!!! Still waiting for the scan results but I'll take the CEA test for sure!!!

Thank you all for your support. You know I don't tell any of my family about these crazy anxiety attacks. I try to stay even keel so they don't have to have the emotional roller coaster ride too. And it sure does help to post to you all who KNOW EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!!

THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!

• Cindy225
    Cindy225 Member Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Update!!!

OMG!!! That is fantastic news!  So glad for a great CEA.  Anxiety relieved... sigh.  We all appreciate and understand what it's like... God Bless.  Cindy

• JanJan63
    edited June 2017 #21
    Options
    I'm SO happy for you Phil!!

I'm SO happy for you Phil!! No being sick and a great CEA result! Hooray! It's over! Things have been really positive on the board lately, wow! I hope we're all on a roll!

Damn, I wish I could just get my results that fast. I have to wait until next Thursday. We have to go to the onc to get the results and our cancer centre- which is a 45 minute drive away- is having their parkinglot redone which is going to take a couple of years because its a big hospital as well, so I have to get a ride because there's no parking. Then I wait for my onc which is at least a 45 minute wait but has been two hours in the past while my ride drives around looking for things to do. Grr, why can't they do it your way?

Jan