Hi, new here, I start chemo and radiation monday

Options
124»

Comments

• Nutmeg1
    Nutmeg1 Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am another newbie :/

Reading your experiences and encouragement to one another has really calmed me down. 

My embarrassment and general feeling of being unwell has been eased knowing that what I am experiencing is 'normal'. Getting a clear idea about what I am about to face, has taken away my angst too.

I start treatment next week. I am not looking forward to it and trying real hard not to feel sorry for myself. Going to the toilet is already an ordeal. So I can only imagine what the future will hold ... or 'loose'.

This is a secondary cancer for me. I had breast cancer and radiation just over two years ago. The tenderness of my skin after a few weeks treatment was awlful, so I am imagining and am scared of, the pain already.

I was stunned and shocked when I was diagnosed with anal cancer. I mean what the ...? I didn't even know it existed!

Thank you for your openess and honesty, writing here xx   I so appreciate being able to talk with others who know what is going on. I have just been keeping silent. I don't imagine that anyone I know, really wants to talk about my pooping, or would even guess that I need someone to talk about it.

So glad I found you all here :)

• Froggy32
    Froggy32 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Nutmeg1 said:

Reading your experiences and encouragement to one another has really calmed me down. 

My embarrassment and general feeling of being unwell has been eased knowing that what I am experiencing is 'normal'. Getting a clear idea about what I am about to face, has taken away my angst too.

I start treatment next week. I am not looking forward to it and trying real hard not to feel sorry for myself. Going to the toilet is already an ordeal. So I can only imagine what the future will hold ... or 'loose'.

This is a secondary cancer for me. I had breast cancer and radiation just over two years ago. The tenderness of my skin after a few weeks treatment was awlful, so I am imagining and am scared of, the pain already.

I was stunned and shocked when I was diagnosed with anal cancer. I mean what the ...? I didn't even know it existed!

Thank you for your openess and honesty, writing here xx   I so appreciate being able to talk with others who know what is going on. I have just been keeping silent. I don't imagine that anyone I know, really wants to talk about my pooping, or would even guess that I need someone to talk about it.

Hi nutmeg

sorry you are going through this too. I am getting ready to start my 3rd week of treatments tomorrow. The most side effects I have had so far haven't been too bad yet. Some diarrhea and a little nausea, but the dr gave me some medicine for both and it has helped some.  Come on here and ask questions whenever you need someone to talk to. It helps me. 

• Kmessier
    Kmessier Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Nutmeg and Froggy

Nutmeg I'm so sorry that youve found yourse here but know that everyone here is so supportive and helpful. And you can talk about anything too and not be embarrassed because we're all going through it. I hope you keep coming back. Im sorry this is your second trip down this road I was diagnosed with breast and anal, colorectal at the same time they don't know what came first since it was found the same exact time. I guess it doesn't matter. There are quite a few things to help your skin. Aquaphor is a water based skin barrier for the diarrhea and you can also buy lidocaine creams or ointments over the counter that help with the pain, my gastroenterologist prescribed me  Pramasone it's a steroid and lidocaine cream that can be used externally and internally it helps a whole lot. I'm almost finished but I'm very fair skinned and burned easily I was eventually prescribed Radiagel that's the only thing that can be used and not have to be washed off before radiation, that's very important to wash off anything you've put on yourself to help otherwise it can make you burn worse. Well I don't mean to scare you I just wanted to give you some tips on the things that have helped me just make sure and ask your radiation oncologist bef using anything oh and I bought oversized male boxers to run around in the house in. I hope all goes smoothly and easy for you you'll be in my thoughts and prayers!!!

~~Kim

Froggy, I'm glad things have been not too bad for you you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated!!

~~Kim

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited June 2017 #65
    Options
    Nutmeg1 said:

Nutmeg1...

Hi,

While I am sorry to welcome yet another to this little family of ours, I am so glad you have found us. This site is a Godsend for many for just the reasons you've mentioned. I did not know of it prior to my dx (6 1/2 years ago), but it sure would have eased many of my fears if I had. Like you, while I had heard of anal cancer before, I knew no one that had been treated for it aside from Farrah Faucet and was not initially comfortable talking about it with others myself. My modesty has transitioned into a desire to educate others, so am now perfectly comfortable bringing up the topic when appropriate.

I too have been treated for breast cancer, but mine was dx just one year after the anal cancer. Other than "life" stress weakening my immune system, I do not believe the two were related in my case. In fact, my breast cancer was a rare form accounting for less than 1% of all breast cancers...Secretory Carcinoma. It is often not found until later stage but thankfully was discovered on my 1 year follow-up PET scan for anal cancer. So, in a way, having anal cancer saved my life!!

I'm sure questions will arise as you move forward, so do not be afraid to ask. As said, we are all in the same boat and someone may just have a helpful tip to make this journey a bit more bearable for you. My advice for now is to eat while you feel up to it, my appetite plumeted pretty quickly and I found it hard to eat much for several weeks. If offered pain meds early on, don't be shy in accepting...staying ahead of pain is always easier than knocking it down. I was on a regular scheduled pain med and took it throughout and for several weeks after treatment, then easily tapered off when ready. My husband installed a hand held shower hose which was great for cleaning that tender area during radiation, this was great and some people invest in a Sitz bath as well. 

I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers next week as you move forward.

katheryn

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Nutmeg

I'm sorry you have been diagnosed with anal cancer, but glad you have found this site.  The support here is great.  I know this is a scary time for you, but you will get through it, just like the rest of us have.  We are here to help you, so if you have questions, please ask.  I will be a 9-year survivor in September, so I hope knowing that this disease can be beaten will give you great encouragement.  You can do this!

Martha

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Nutmeg

I don't have anything to add to what others have said but just want to welcome you to the site. Please keep us updated as to how you are doing if you can. Very sorry you have to go thru this. 

• Froggy32
    Options
    Started week 3

and found out why I am still on chemo, finally. My dr says that the dose I am on is the lowest amount and it has to be used along with the radiation for it to work. He said that when they unhook it, there is no chemo at all in my system. I am going to get unhooked from it on Friday, then go back next Thursday and get it again, until the 28th of July. Still feeling ok So far. 

• Froggy32
    Options
    Well, I have the bad diarrhea

now and I feel like I am getting a uti. I went shopping with my daughter yesterday, and to go to every bathroom at every store we went to. I went through 5 pair of depends in about 6 hours. Then had to go again as soon as I got home. Up most of the night too. This morning I have already been in the bathroom more than out. I took my lotomtril but hasn't slowed it down. My bottom is so sore. Any more suggestions other than the site bath and lidocaine ointment. I am using baby wipes and the spray bottle too. Thanks,

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Froggy32 said:

Well, I have the bad diarrhea

now and I feel like I am getting a uti. I went shopping with my daughter yesterday, and to go to every bathroom at every store we went to. I went through 5 pair of depends in about 6 hours. Then had to go again as soon as I got home. Up most of the night too. This morning I have already been in the bathroom more than out. I took my lotomtril but hasn't slowed it down. My bottom is so sore. Any more suggestions other than the site bath and lidocaine ointment. I am using baby wipes and the spray bottle too. Thanks,

Froggy32

Sorry to hear you are suffering with the diarrhea.  I did too during my treatment.  If you have not been told about the BRAT diet, you might give it a try.  BRAT stands for bananas, rice (white), applesauce, and toast (white).  No brown rice or whole wheat bread.  I'm not sure it helped me so much, but it might help you.  I would at least give it a try.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Froggy

Let your doctor know you are still having diarrhea in spite of what they've given you. I ended up on tincture of opium for the diarrhea. 

• Froggy32
    Options

Froggy

Let your doctor know you are still having diarrhea in spite of what they've given you. I ended up on tincture of opium for the diarrhea. 

Ok thanks.

I will, but they are closed until Wednesday. It has slowed down a little bit now, but I just finished eating dinner. Yesterday, about 30 minutes after I ate, it hit me again.   Hopefully I won't do that again,  

• Froggy32
    edited July 2017 #73
    Options
    mp327 said:

Froggy32

Sorry to hear you are suffering with the diarrhea.  I did too during my treatment.  If you have not been told about the BRAT diet, you might give it a try.  BRAT stands for bananas, rice (white), applesauce, and toast (white).  No brown rice or whole wheat bread.  I'm not sure it helped me so much, but it might help you.  I would at least give it a try.

Thanks for the brat

diet. I read that before.