Low Dose Chemo

nspired36
nspired36 Member Posts: 80

Hi! I have been doing some research and I came across a article actually a couple articles talking about low-dose chemo. Basically said that cancer patients, even breast cancer patients can actually benefit from taking lower doses of chemo over longer periods of time, verses taking high densebdoses. The reasoning behind it was that they didn't see a significant difference in results, basically the same, but the benefit is quality of life is a lot better cuz you're not getting extremely high doses of chemo. The side effects were alot milder etc...I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this or had opinions?

Comments

• nspired36
    edited May 2017 #2
    I also want to add that there

I also want to add that there's been some clinical research behind this since 2002 with the really good results and outcomes

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    nspired36 said:

I also want to add that there

I also want to add that there's been some clinical research behind this since 2002 with the really good results and outcomes

Hi, nspired, I would sure like to see that research. Can you post a link or tell me where to find it? 

• nspired36
    edited May 2017 #4
    Not sure if the link will work

The Low Dose Chemotherapy Alternative Your Oncologist Isn't Telling You About (video) 

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/low-dose-chemotherapy-alternative/

Here is one I was just reading and watched the video.  I'll try to find the other one to

• HapB
    nspired36 said:

Not sure if the link will work

The Low Dose Chemotherapy Alternative Your Oncologist Isn't Telling You About (video) 

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/low-dose-chemotherapy-alternative/

Here is one I was just reading and watched the video.  I'll try to find the other one to

Thanks

I got the link and will look at it.

• HapB
    Nspired

I would ask your MO at Mayo about this. I know cancer cells thrive on sugar. I have changed my diet drastically and have read several books about the role of diet in cancer treatment.  I would trust Mayo, really. They are really one of the very best and may know about this. I don't remember the specifics of your BC type. 

• nspired36
    I have stage IIIA ER+  PR-

I have stage IIIA ER+  PR-  HER2neg. Triple Negative BC. Try told me a few others deatils that I can't remember. 

• HapB
    edited May 2017 #8
    Nspired

With your tricky diagnosis, I think you really have to trust the docs at Mayo. What are they recommending?  

• nspired36
    I haven't met wth the Dr. At

I haven't met wth the Dr. At mayo yet.  The oncologists I have now is recommending dose dense A/C aka Red Devil (4)  then Taxol weekly for 12 weeks.  I'm just scared of taking doses of red devil.  I meet with the docs at Mayo as soon as they get my medical records. 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    nspired36 said:

I haven't met wth the Dr. At

I haven't met wth the Dr. At mayo yet.  The oncologists I have now is recommending dose dense A/C aka Red Devil (4)  then Taxol weekly for 12 weeks.  I'm just scared of taking doses of red devil.  I meet with the docs at Mayo as soon as they get my medical records. 

Go with the Mayo rec.

It sounds like your docs are giving you the typical path of treatment.  Mayo will give you their opinion and then you have to make the decision.

I was reading another about slowing down the chemo and spreading it out.  Looking back, it was tough however, I would not want it spread out any longer than I had to. 

Hugs,

Annie

• nspired36
    I don't want extend chemo

I don't want extend chemo either.  your getting the same amount of treatment,  just lower doses over a bit longer of time.  Which from what i read is gentler on your body.  It's just so hard and I feel like I'm being rushed to make major life changing decisions in such a short period of time.  I'm going to go with the best recommended treatment, i just wish there were more options and more time to process. 

• HapB
    Nspired

I know what you mean. My doctor is giving me 2 weeks to decide. My case is a little different from yours because of the tumor status, my age, and my cancer history.  For me, the doctor could go either way with or without the chemo. 

• Apaugh
    edited June 2017 #13
    nspired36 said:

I don't want extend chemo

I don't want extend chemo either.  your getting the same amount of treatment,  just lower doses over a bit longer of time.  Which from what i read is gentler on your body.  It's just so hard and I feel like I'm being rushed to make major life changing decisions in such a short period of time.  I'm going to go with the best recommended treatment, i just wish there were more options and more time to process. 

Roller coaster

I can see both sides of that.  Slowing it down might be better on your body.  I dont know, that was not offered to me.  My onc said, time was important.  I had already went 2 mo. after my surgery before I started and he was not happy. (no choice, infection)

They had to slow my drip most times due to instant side effects, (headaches and severe muscle twinges) but that meant I had to just sit there longer. 

Keeping you in my prayers for non eventful time.

Hugs,

Annie

• Apaugh
    HapB said:

Nspired

I know what you mean. My doctor is giving me 2 weeks to decide. My case is a little different from yours because of the tumor status, my age, and my cancer history.  For me, the doctor could go either way with or without the chemo. 

so sorry

Hon, I am sorry you or anyone has to even decide this.  It is not fair and so nerve wracking.  Will keep you in my prayers always.

Hug

Annie

• JuddTessa
    JuddTessa Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2017 #15
    TAC versus TC chemo

I have finished 6 weeks of radiation and before had chemo - TC x 4 three weeks apart. Most people seem to have TAC (the red devil). Is TC as effect as TAC.

• HapB
    Judd

what is TC?

• nspired36
    I think TC is Taxol &

I think TC is Taxol & Carboplatin, right? They are recommending the Anbar for me.  I thinks it's pretty effective 

• HapB
    Nspired

when do you start? I am scheduled to have the port put in on Thursday and chemo Friday and I am still not sure that I am doing the right thing.

• nspired36
    I go the Mayo on Thursday to

I go the Mayo on Thursday to meet with my new oncologists, get a 2nd opinion and come up with a treatment plan.  So,  depending on what they say I may have the same treatment or something different. I do want to get started soon,  since I was supposed to start last week.  I don't want to delay things too long.  Did you get a port the last time you had chemo? I can honestly say I got worked up for nothing.  I was such a mess the morning of placement.  It was very quick and virtually painless. Just sore the day after,  Tylenol took care of it. I understand your hesitation. I know that doing chemo is not a choice for me,  but I'm still iffy about it.  I know I'll be in excellent hands at Mayo

• HapB
    edited June 2017 #20
    Nspired

Last time i had chemo, they couldn't get the port in because I has a reaction and my heart rate dropped and BP went sky high. Ugh. Did they sedate you. They are sedating me this time. 

• nspired36
    Yep, I was lightly sedated,

Yep, I was lightly sedated, but awake the whole time. I was just super relaxed and chatted with the nurses throughout the whole procedure.