Not Diagnosed but have questionsf

JuliaGrant
JuliaGrant Member Posts: 14

I am a 52 year old woman, very active, very healthy. First had blood in my urine 2 years ago (August 2014) - went to doctor and they gave me antibiotics. April 2015 had blood in urine but only saw it one time. August 2015 started peeing blood clots one night - gone by next morning. Saw urologist 2 days later, he put me on antibiotic for 2 weeks. Went back and still had blood in urine, put on antibiotics for 30 days. Went back still had blood, did cystoscope and said bladder was fine. Did a urine cytology and still had blood. He wanted me to come back in January for another cytology. I asked if blood was still there if he was going to do anything different and he said no. He said some people just have blood in their urine. I have not been back to see him. Went for my two year exam with gynocologist (only have to go every 2 years because I've had hysterectomy) and he did a urine test per my request to check for blood. He said that I had a lot of blood in my urine. I gave him the history and he recommended sending me to a different urologist for a CT scan. He said if I had always had blood in my urine he would agree with the other uroligist but I haven't.

Now just waiting on that referral.

Sooo, i have noticed that I am a lot more tired lately, some back pain but I work full time and then come home and take care of my farm (cows, horses, chickens). Should I be worried? Does this ever turn out to be nothing?

thanks,

JuliaGrant

Comments

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    Sounds like a terrible Dr.

To answer your question

Does this ever turn out to be nothing? Yes

Even if it turns out to be something, like cancer, its not the end of the world, and its very treatable.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Welcome Julia

I have to agree with Footstomper:  Terrible Doctor!!  My goodness.  Something is going on that needs to be addressed, clearly this isn't your normal considering the response from your gyne. 

Please let us know how this turns out, in the meantime I will keep you in my prayers.

Donna~

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Since you asked

but don't answer here. Are you sure that you've got blood in your urine from something other than the result of an over assertive love life?

In any case, get a different urologist. I might also think that with chronic uro bleeding, the cause might be found in a standard blood test.

• JuliaGrant

Sounds like a terrible Dr.

To answer your question

Does this ever turn out to be nothing? Yes

Even if it turns out to be something, like cancer, its not the end of the world, and its very treatable.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Let's hope and pray it turns

Let's hope and pray it turns out to be nothing. No offense, but I don't want to join your club for real!!! Prayers for all of you!!

• JuliaGrant
    hardo718 said:

Welcome Julia

I have to agree with Footstomper:  Terrible Doctor!!  My goodness.  Something is going on that needs to be addressed, clearly this isn't your normal considering the response from your gyne. 

Please let us know how this turns out, in the meantime I will keep you in my prayers.

Donna~

Thank you and I'll keep all

Thank you and I'll keep all of you in my prayers!!

• JuliaGrant
    foxhd said:

Since you asked

but don't answer here. Are you sure that you've got blood in your urine from something other than the result of an over assertive love life?

In any case, get a different urologist. I might also think that with chronic uro bleeding, the cause might be found in a standard blood test.

Haha - supposed to be getting

Haha - supposed to be getting a referral to a different urology group - hopefully soon. I had a blood workup thru my employer early last year -- there were no red flags that I saw.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    edited October 2016 #8
    blood work

from an employee physical is basic CBC and probably metabolic function and drug testing. I would place no value on that test.

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Oh Julie, sorry for all you

Oh Julie, sorry for all you are being put through.. and glad you are seeing another doc. I wonder if your primary coudn't order a CT or at least a ultrasound. Could your primary get this going stat?

And we have to stop treating MDs as Medical deity! I would've turned the tables on this doc and asked him, "What if YOU kept peeing blood?Would it just be some people have blood in their urine?" Geezlouize!! After all those months, you deserve better treatment!

So we're here for you all the way, if you want us to be. We'll help you get through this. I know, its hard not worry, but try really hard to focus on today  best you can.

Sending you hope and a hug!

Jan

• magpie49
    magpie49 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2016 #10
    Very Sorry but better safe than sorry

Julia, I hope its nothing but totally agree with all above.  New doctor, new tests and I would do it now.  Its been to long already.  Best wishes 

• Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2016 #11
    I had blood in my urnine for

I had blood in my urnine for years, I could not see it but the urine test showed it was a small amount .than in 2014 had another urine test done .the blood count was high. sent for a MRI  turned out i had RCC ON RIGHT KIDNEY . had it removed  doing good .still small amounts of urnine that i can not see . but Dr said some people have it . don't remeber the name Dr gave it . Hope this made sense. 

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited October 2016 #12
    Definitely get that CT scan

Definitely get that CT scan ASAP. Hopefully it's nothing but if it isn't then they caught it and can deal with it. Chronic bleeding is not good, no matter what the cause. You don't want to end up anemic on top of everything. Mine was caught because I peed blood and my urologist insisted on a CT scan along with the antibiotics for a suspected UTI. Thank god he did. Don't want to scare you, doesn't mean yours is RCC but it's good to rule it out with the CT.

• Abunai
    Abunai Member Posts: 173 Member
    edited October 2016 #13

I had blood in my urnine for years, I could not see it but the urine test showed it was a small amount .than in 2014 had another urine test done .the blood count was high. sent for a MRI  turned out i had RCC ON RIGHT KIDNEY . had it removed  doing good .still small amounts of urnine that i can not see . but Dr said some people have it . don't remeber the name Dr gave it . Hope this made sense. 

Hematuria (blood in urine)

Hematuria (blood in urine)

• JuliaGrant
    edited October 2016 #14
    Jan4you said:

Oh Julie, sorry for all you

Oh Julie, sorry for all you are being put through.. and glad you are seeing another doc. I wonder if your primary coudn't order a CT or at least a ultrasound. Could your primary get this going stat?

And we have to stop treating MDs as Medical deity! I would've turned the tables on this doc and asked him, "What if YOU kept peeing blood?Would it just be some people have blood in their urine?" Geezlouize!! After all those months, you deserve better treatment!

So we're here for you all the way, if you want us to be. We'll help you get through this. I know, its hard not worry, but try really hard to focus on today  best you can.

Sending you hope and a hug!

Jan

Thank you for the kind words.

Thank you for the kind words. Looks like I'm not going to be seeing the new group -- they can't get me in until mid-January or later and there's no way that I can come up with my whole deductible in the first part of the year. I've had my gyn send a referral back to old urologist to see if he'll schedule the scan. If they do find anything (and I'm praying they don't), then I'll go to one of the cancer centers around here.

• JuliaGrant
    edited October 2016 #15
    magpie49 said:

Very Sorry but better safe than sorry

Julia, I hope its nothing but totally agree with all above.  New doctor, new tests and I would do it now.  Its been to long already.  Best wishes 

Thank you! I go between

Thank you! I go between thinking that it's nothing and then thinking that it's been going on for 2 years and I've totally screwed myself...

• JuliaGrant
    edited October 2016 #16
    Thank you! Don't know why the

Thank you! Don't know why the original urologist never mentioned anything about checking kidneys.... And then, even though my gyn recommended that I get the kidney ct scan, he said that "normally with this amount of blood, it's usually the bladder and not the kidneys". I'm confused and don't know what to think anymore.

• JuliaGrant
    edited October 2016 #17

Thanks

Thanks

• JuliaGrant

Your post gives me hope that

Your post gives me hope that I haven't totally managed to mess things up! Thank you!

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Definitely keep pressing

For a CT of the abdomen & pelvis, with & without contrast.....sooner rather than later.  Your peace of mind is attached to these results, you now need to be your own best advocate.  Meaning start making your phone calls, possibly multiple times in a day, for STAT testing.  You may need to become a thorn in their side until you get what you want/need.   This should have been done a long time ago.

Best wishes.  I'll be praying you for.

Donna~

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited October 2016 #20
    Again, julie,  your Primary

Again, julie,  your Primary doc can order a CT for this bleeding. Have you consulted your Primary doc?

Jan

• JuliaGrant
    edited November 2016 #21
    Good Morning! Got in to see

Good Morning! Got in to see the old urologist yesterday afternoon and he said that he doesn't like to send for CT scan because of the amount of radiation that it gives your body. I told him that I really wanted to make sure that I didn't have a mass or anything going on in my kidneys since this has been going on for a little over 2 years now. Sooo, he agreed to send me for one and I go tomorrow morning. It is a CT scan with contrast.

Jan - I don't have a primary doc because I rarely ever go to a doctor and the ones around here won't keep you if you don't come every year. Shoot, when I go in for a colonoscopy they truly can't believe that I don't take any meds on a regular basis.

Thanks everyone for the prayers, kind words, info and support!! Hopefully I should know something tomorrow....