One Year Ago

Editgrl
Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member

One year ago, I was puttering around the house, getting ready to go to the local French film festival gala opening, an event that I've attended for years.  Then I got The Call.  The shock in my ob/gyn's voice was unmistakable as she told me, The biopsy results are back and it is cancer. She then proceeded to tell me that she was scheduling a CT scan for me and that I would be getting a hysterectomy. Even before I got off the phone with her, I was hitting Google hard. I could not fathom what I was reading. How could this be happening? I fit none of the profiles. I was cycling 4-5 days a week, riding my horse, dancing twice a week, eating what I thought was a pretty darn healthy diet. What the hell?! All I'd had was one night of light spotting. And I thought of my mom, who passed away from endometrial cancer less than two months after her first symptom.

That night, after several glasses of wine, I sat between my friends in the darkened theater, holding my secret inside, trying to focus on the movie.  Instead, I was wondering if I'd be at next year's screening.  And then I came home and got back on the computer.  I had stumbled upon this site earlier in the afternoon and wanted to read more.  And I began to feel deep inside that this was not necessarily a death sentence and that I was going to be all right.

My words cannot adequately express how grateful I am to all of the women on this board who have been with me every step of the way in the past year.  It is not an exaggeration to say that I don't know how I would have coped without all of you.  You have demonstrated that statistics are only numbers.  They don't live and laugh and breathe, hold grandchildren or walk on the beach.  But you, my lovely, vibrant sisters, do.

The information and advice from those who travel this path have been invaluable.  I have learned so much, both from those who are actively posting and those who generously shared their experiences in the past.  It is because of all of you that I have been able to find my own path through this tangled forest and, at least for the moment, stand in the sunny meadow.

Tonight, one year later, I will be at the French film festival opening gala.  I will wear sparkly, dangly earrings below my short, newly wavy hair.  I will laugh with friends, chat with old acquaintances and munch on fancy appetizers (at least the healthy ones!)  I will raised a glass of wine in a silent toast to all of you and our respective journeys, always aiming for NED.  And I will make a solemn and confident promise to return next year to toast again.

Chris

Comments

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Thanks for sharing your post.

Thanks for sharing your post.  Your story has meant so much to me. Its given me so much hope. Today and since I found you guys.

Lots of love,

Janae

• CindylovesMike
    CindylovesMike Member Posts: 50
    Chris

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so happy for you to be going to the film festival again this year. Praying for many more for you.

Hugs, Cindy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    My Chemosabe partner

What a wonderful tribute. I just don't know what else to call it. I feel honored and priviledged to have gone through this journey with you.

And, like you.... the other wonderful women on this forum saved my sanity and gave me the hope, inspiration and information I needed; to know I would get beyond all the stuff. I think our year anniversary of firsts will be the one that we reflect on the most. I may be wrong about that but it seems like it would be that way. :-)  Our first call, our surgery anniversary, our chemo start and stop times, radiation, NED.... Anyway, thanks for the great post. I loved reading your words and I know they came from the heart.

While I wouldn't wish this journey on anyone, I'm glad that I had you on it with me!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited June 2016 #5
    I loved your post!  I agree

I loved your post!  I agree with you 100% - this is a magical place where we can connect with, really, the only ones who can truly understand and give their full support whenever it's needed.

Love,

Eldri

• Red Corvette
    Red Corvette Member Posts: 114 Member
    Beautiful Post

Beautuful post Miss Chris. So well written and passionate. It's good to reflect on the past journey but going this with my wife and all the wonderful warrior ladies here, the future seemsi brighter, more vivid, and comforting. 

Red Corvette

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Well said!

Well said, Chris! I hope you had a wonderful time at the gala and had so much fun that you didn't think about this past year at all. Here's to next year's gala - cheers! 

• debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited June 2016 #8
    Chris

I can't believe it's been one year for you!  Seems like you just got here, although I know it doesn't feel that way to you!  Thank you for this post and the up coming toast!  I could use one!  Have fun, enjoy the film, and thank you for showing all of us that there IS life after cancer!  Best, Debrajo

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    A beautiful reflection

Chris, what a way with words!  You go girl!  I hope you had a wonderful time at your gala and I've got a feeling that you will be attending them for many years to come. Thank you for being there for the test of us in this undesirable club. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    Chris, that was beautiful.  I

Chris, that was beautiful.  I wish you many happy celebrations!

• ncg007
    ncg007 Member Posts: 138 Member
    Chris

Chris...Wonderful post!  You and I were on the same timeline and I couldn't agree with you more on the great support of the woman and men on this board.  I just wish I had found it sooner.  Praying you always remain NED.

Nancy

• beccabtown
    beccabtown Member Posts: 234
    edited June 2016 #12
    Thanks for sharing your story

Thanks for sharing your story. It's very inspiring to me.

• Yeah for you.

I too remember we were somewhat close in treatments, I always saw your progress and thought I'll be there too someday.  I think I actually found you on another board (Hystersisters), and your posts were a comfort to me.  Thanks and continued NED.  Hugs Nancy

• BabyCoach
    BabyCoach Member Posts: 95
    Merci!

Merci!

• BabyCoach
    BabyCoach Member Posts: 95
    Merci!

Merci!