Newly diagnosed and scared

Options

Comments

• lisenbysl
    lisenbysl Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2016 #22
    Options
    Had my 1st chemo last Friday

Had my 1st chemo last Friday with neulasta shot on my stomach to administer the next day. I felt nauseaus within a few hours. It's my 3rd day and I am still nauseaus. Had to call in and get another med which knocked me out for 2 hours. I feel a little better but not much. I also have swelling/fluid in my left armpit. Going to see my dr tomorrow. My stomach just feels awful. Hopefully it will get better. I am also tired and weak.

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    dpletzke said:

teacher

I teach third grade and had to leave the classroom in April. There was no way I could do my job-not even considering the germs. I am too fatigued and it would be unfair to them. I'm not sure I'll be able to start the class in the fall. I don't think I could work 1/2 days, how did you do it?

That is a good question --

That is a good question -- how did I do it?  First, I am a teaching assistant, not a teacher, in special education.  So, I do not have all the work a teacher has.  (I know, as I was a teacher for over 25 years before making this change.)  At the time I was winding down with radiation therapy, I was working primarily in the 5th grade.  The students I had were "less needy."  Amazingly, my schedule was such that I had a few extra breaks in it because of what my assignment was.  It helped ease me back into my work.  I could see how tough it would be to be the teacher at the lower elementary level and it be tiring.  Last year I worked in 1st grade and this year in 2nd.  I know that at day's end, I am ready to just chill when I get home.  My husband has always been helpful, which is a boon to me.  The kids are grown up and gone, and so there is just the two of us.

My friends/colleagues will say that I am a "strong person."  I guess it is my nature to deal with what comes and then get on with life.  Throughout my months of the surgery/recovery, chemo (8 infusions every other week), and rads I had determined to not stay holed up in my house.  I think that helped -- at least helped me.  I was always told by my supervisors -- and others at work == to take the time I needed and not feel pressed to hurry back.  I just wanted to get back to a normal life.  So, that was my goal.

Bottom line is this:  You have to do what works best for you.

• carrie2900
    carrie2900 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    lisenbysl said:

Had my 1st chemo last Friday

Had my 1st chemo last Friday with neulasta shot on my stomach to administer the next day. I felt nauseaus within a few hours. It's my 3rd day and I am still nauseaus. Had to call in and get another med which knocked me out for 2 hours. I feel a little better but not much. I also have swelling/fluid in my left armpit. Going to see my dr tomorrow. My stomach just feels awful. Hopefully it will get better. I am also tired and weak.

Emend

You may want to ask your doctor about the anti-nausea drug Emend. I took it the day before chemo and two days after and never experienced nausea.

The neulasta shot was a different story causing flu-like symptoms on day 4. I know everyone reacts differently to medication but I wanted to recommend Emend.

Wishing you strength and healing!

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    edited June 2016 #25
    Options
    Tired and weak

I didn't have major problems with nausea. My center was really good about adjusting and tweaking my meds and chemo to prevent it. Let your onc and nurses know what's happening.  They don't want you nauseous and dehydrated. I don't remember any of the meds making me drowsy or sleepy. I didn't have any reaction to the neulasta shot at all, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.  But tired and weak, I had plenty of that.  Still have some; Taxol stopped Feb 18. My blood count and blood pressure kept dropping and finally got so low that I had to have a transfusion. I had 3 total and I was kind of uncomfortable with it, but too weak to argue. Make sure you tell your doctors, nurses, techs, anything going on with you that needs attention. That's what they're there for.  Hang in there.

• Fromnytovegas
    Fromnytovegas Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Honestly, I don't even know

Honestly, I don't even know where to post!

I will try to make a long story short.

I was diagnosed this past January with non invasive ductal breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy with lymph node removal.  Nothing in the lymph nodes but after the lumpectomy, my surgeon told me it was now invasive. I had a SAVI device put it during the lumpectomy and had 5 days of radiation, twice a day. My oncologist informed me that it's an aggressive cancer. Three months after the radiation, my oncologist ordered a mammogram, chest X-Ray and ultrasound. Before I continue to that, he prescribed Arimidex. That didn't work for me. I suffer from Major Depressive disorder and it made me SO moody that I thought I was going to commit suicide. Not to mention the joint pain AND hot flashes which I didn't have during Menopause! I am 67 by the way.

The oncologist put me on Tamoxifen next, with the same results. No thank you. The cancer is estrogen receptive but my quality of life, as pathetic as it is, matters more.  He also changed my antidepressant claiming that it would work in conjunction with the arimadex.

Back to the tests. They found two "suspicious" areas in the ultrasound. I was then sent for 2 biopsies. The report came back find BUT 2 days later I got a call saying it wasn't. The radiologist decided she wasn't happy with the samples she received in the biopsies. I was sent to my surgeon who told me she hadn't seen the report from the radiologist. 

My oncologist wants me to see another surgeon for a second opinion. I see her next week. Meanwhile, this stuff could be growing at a rapid pace because it wasn't there before the lumpectomy.

I live in the Vegas area. I have ZERO support system. No family, no decent friends who are even close to normal and are way too selfish to care about anyone but themselves. I live alone and my depression is pretty bad. I have tried support groups and they say there are there for me, until I ask someone to go to an appointment with me or whatever. 

I don't even know what to ask for here. The oncologist is talking chemo or mastectomy. I am TOTALLY terrified of either possibility. How would I ever be able to take care of myself? Lose my hair????? Are you kidding??? All those horrible side effects from chemo???? OMG. It's beyond even thinking about. And yet I read about all you courageous women.who do it and I'm embarrassed.

I'm sure I have more to mention but I can't even remember anymore now. HOW can there be more areas after so short a time? I just don't get it!

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this.

Debi

• Fromnytovegas
    Options
    peony said:

Debi,

Take 3 deep belly breaths.  Bree-eeathe. Slowly. I think you're suffering from what I call the Screaming Me-mes.  They can be an inward manifestation or an outward, outright scream (you're entitled to it).  It's when you are bombarded with the diagnoses, the treatment and treatment plans, appointments and advice and it's totally overwhelming.  If you can't get anyone to go with you to appointments, take a pad and write down any questions you have or points you want to bring up, and don't be shy about asking them.  Don't worry about what anyone thinks of you or how you look to them; it's your life and you are going to fight for it. Don't panic at the thought of side effects - what's a little numbness in your feet compared to cancer running rampant through your body. Most of the side effects are temporary anyway, so don't let them deter you from treatment.  Gather all the info you can to make informed decisions and ask, ask, ask any questions you have. Make them explain things to you. You may come out of this a new, stronger Debi.  You're stronger than you think.

Thank you so much for your

Thank you so much for your response. I guess I'll know after Tueday which direction will go in. I wish I had someone here to go through it with me.

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    For me the mastectomies were

For me the mastectomies were harder than the chemo to deal with.  Please don't worry too much.  You have already done very well.  I had sickness infusions just before chemo each time and honestly never felt nauseous.  I don't work but think I could of if worked from home as you do.  However, the fatigue can hit hard.  I slept all night and wanted to sleep all day for a few days after each infusion.  I saw this as a healing process not a weakness.  But we really all differ.  I would t be surprised if you couldn't manage watching your child's games.  If able, rest before/after them if needs be.  Some ladies to my admiration work through it all, they deserve medals if you ask me, but not all of us are that way and that's totally normal and ok too.  Gently keep moving, walk, let friends and family help, especially with meals and ironing (if you do ironing).  Drink lots of water and try and keep away from people who have colds and such.  Eat whatever you can stomach on the days you feel like eating, most loose weight for a while.  I felt tired for many, many months afterwards but all in all did fine honestly.  Nails grew back, hair grew back very quickly.  Main problem was hot flashes.  If you have concerns just deal with them one at a time and ask here for advice.  

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Debi,

Debi,

You worry me some.  Your cancer team should be able to put you in touch with others to share with and talk to.  You shouldn't be on your own going through this.  Has there been any further developments or clarity?  I am very sorry your friends are not supportive, I am not sure I would call them friends from your description.  We do get people who back off when cancer strikes, they don't know what to do or say but that is fine, it's just a reaction not that they don't care.  Even some husbands and children can react that way, but out of worry not selfishness as you mentioned.  Please keep in touch there is always some one here who listens and cares and please ask your cancer nurse for some kind of support.

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    edited July 2016 #30
    Options
    I haven't been around much

I haven't been around much since I finished treatment, so I'm sorry I missed the beginning of your journey. Sending all of you recently diagnosed lots of hugs and prayers for comfort and strength. It's amazing what you can handle when the only other choice is unspeakable.

• Fromnytovegas
    Options

Debi,

Debi,

You worry me some.  Your cancer team should be able to put you in touch with others to share with and talk to.  You shouldn't be on your own going through this.  Has there been any further developments or clarity?  I am very sorry your friends are not supportive, I am not sure I would call them friends from your description.  We do get people who back off when cancer strikes, they don't know what to do or say but that is fine, it's just a reaction not that they don't care.  Even some husbands and children can react that way, but out of worry not selfishness as you mentioned.  Please keep in touch there is always some one here who listens and cares and please ask your cancer nurse for some kind of support.

Hi. It's that I don't HAVE

Hi. It's that I don't HAVE friends here it's an extremely difficult place to make decent friends.

I have been to 2 support groups and I didn't care for either.  It just made me feel worse to hear people talking a out their great family a d friend support people.  And one of the group's was too far for me to bother. I have no choice in the being alone part.

I won't know anything until I see the new surgeon and the oncologist this week. I feel like I have spent more time waiting than anything else.....

You didn't leave your name or anything but I do appreciate your kindness and concern. I will be sure to keep you posted about things.

• peony
    Options
    Debi,

Take 3 deep belly breaths.  Bree-eeathe. Slowly. I think you're suffering from what I call the Screaming Me-mes.  They can be an inward manifestation or an outward, outright scream (you're entitled to it).  It's when you are bombarded with the diagnoses, the treatment and treatment plans, appointments and advice and it's totally overwhelming.  If you can't get anyone to go with you to appointments, take a pad and write down any questions you have or points you want to bring up, and don't be shy about asking them.  Don't worry about what anyone thinks of you or how you look to them; it's your life and you are going to fight for it. Don't panic at the thought of side effects - what's a little numbness in your feet compared to cancer running rampant through your body. Most of the side effects are temporary anyway, so don't let them deter you from treatment.  Gather all the info you can to make informed decisions and ask, ask, ask any questions you have. Make them explain things to you. You may come out of this a new, stronger Debi.  You're stronger than you think.

• Fromnytovegas
    Options
    A huge change

After seeing a new surgeon this week and her requesting me to go for an MRI because I need ANOTHER lumpectomy, I have decided to have a double mastectomy with reconstruction. 

My feeling is that I am tired of worrying about the possibility of this cancer 're occurring. I don't want to live in fear. I only hope that I can make it through the ordeal. I'm absolutely terrified and I feel very alone. I guess that's because I am.

• peony
    Options
    Nope.

You are not alone. We're here for you.

• peony
    Options
    lisenbysl

How are things going with you?

• Fromnytovegas
    Options
    peony said:

lisenbysl

How are things going with you?

Things are kind of scary

Things are kind of scary these days. I have convinced myself to plow through and get the MRI next week but I'm just about positive that I will be getting the double mastectomy. I'm just trying to get my brain around it and not really having a support system makes it very difficult for me.

• ryansmith
    ryansmith Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am diagnosed with breast cancer in my right breast, a few month ago. It was at stage 3. Though I already have double mastectomy, but I am afraid of chemo. I have heard that the effects of chemo are different for different patients, so i am just afraid that how it is going to affect me.

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    Afraid of chemo

Hi, most of us have been through the fear of chemo.  It is not easy but it is doable.  Your team will be able to help you with the symptoms.  My first chemo got me quite sick.  They added a shot of neulasta the day after each treatment and I was able to handle the rest of the chemo.  All of our experiences are different but you will get through this.  You didn't mention the type of cancer, if it was in your lymph nodes, or if you are hormone positive or negative.  These facts will impact which drugs you will be prescribed.  Best to you, Sharon  

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You are not alone

Beginning chemo treatments can be stressful.  Your team of doctors and nurses will monitor your reactions; just tell them how you are feeling and any side effects you may experience.  May I suggest that you get a notebook and begin to write things down.  If your treatments are weeks apart, you may forget how long a side effect lasted, or how intensely you were affected.  I remember reading many posts about the drugs I was being prescribed - some of my SE were the same, but I had some that were completely different from the experiences of others.

This treatment plan is meant for you; it is doable, and sooner than you think it will be over.  Best regards!

• spamela
    spamela Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Just diagnosed

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with  cancer in my left breast. ER+ and PR+ HER2 neg. I've had a lumpectomy and just last week had six of my Sential Lymph Nodes removed. The test showed that cancer had not spread to the lymph nodes. I really thought I was going to walk out of the doctors office with a perscription in my hand for tamoxifen and take that for 10 years, but I was wrong. My tumor was 0.5cm in size. It was pretty small, but my mamma print came back showing it was an aggresive tumor. I start Chemo in three weeks and have chosen to get a mastectomy after chemo. After many nights of crying and walking around like a zoombie, I've come to realize that I need to stay strong and not let cancer beat me up. I'm ready to fight this beast. Hugs to all

• peony
    Options
    Attitude
    You've got a good attitude and that's a plus. Keep in mind that the chemo is temporary and there's an end to that tunnel. It's not pleasant; you'll be tired and feel pretty crappy sometimes You can make it through. Let your doctors and nurses know if any side effects appear or you're suffering and they'll make adjustments. Best wishes.