124»

Comments

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited June 2016 #62
    Options
    Jan4you said:

Yes we all have that

Yes we all have that "cautious side" but hey, take this a moment at a time, Stomper-baby!

If you want to celebrate and jump up and down DO IT!

Just curious though...how is it having an Oncologist for a wife? Is she happy clappy as a wife, yet different as a doctor?

Just curious..you don't have to share.

Hugs, Jan

Definitely not Happy Clappy

I'm really proud of my wife and her achievements, but I'm not sure she would like her identity revealed on a public forum. Like me she is British, unlike me she is a research scientist. She started work around the same time as the AIDs epidemic, and so was working on that, her job was an epidemiologist. 

She got interested in diseases that expressed themselves in people who were HIV positive, especially cancers which became  the subject of her Phd. She then became head of a respected lab of Viral Oncology: cancers caused by viruses. So she has come to Cancer as a scientist not a doctor.

Anyway it means that she has a common language with my Doctor. This is useful and occassionally a bit disturbing. When I had IL2, apparently I had a 1 in 100 bad side effect. Both the Dr and wife agreed this was "Interesting" and worth writing as a paper. 'INTERESTING'

OK, its good that after 30 years of marriage my wife still finds me 'interesting', but most of the people my wife finds interesting are cold on a slab somewhere with 'interesting' lesions.

On the other hand she met a man at a meeting a couple of weeks back ( a very respected scientist) who asked if she had read his latest paper. It indicated that treatment with Nivomulab is significantly improved when yoghurt with live bifidus bacteria is added to the diet.

It seems that a lot of the immunological treatments coming on line are related to work she was doing on AIDS in the 90's

As a wife, she is a no nonsense pillar of strength, as a scientist she is the same. Thats why I love her.

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    Options

Definitely not Happy Clappy

I'm really proud of my wife and her achievements, but I'm not sure she would like her identity revealed on a public forum. Like me she is British, unlike me she is a research scientist. She started work around the same time as the AIDs epidemic, and so was working on that, her job was an epidemiologist. 

She got interested in diseases that expressed themselves in people who were HIV positive, especially cancers which became  the subject of her Phd. She then became head of a respected lab of Viral Oncology: cancers caused by viruses. So she has come to Cancer as a scientist not a doctor.

Anyway it means that she has a common language with my Doctor. This is useful and occassionally a bit disturbing. When I had IL2, apparently I had a 1 in 100 bad side effect. Both the Dr and wife agreed this was "Interesting" and worth writing as a paper. 'INTERESTING'

OK, its good that after 30 years of marriage my wife still finds me 'interesting', but most of the people my wife finds interesting are cold on a slab somewhere with 'interesting' lesions.

On the other hand she met a man at a meeting a couple of weeks back ( a very respected scientist) who asked if she had read his latest paper. It indicated that treatment with Nivomulab is significantly improved when yoghurt with live bifidus bacteria is added to the diet.

It seems that a lot of the immunological treatments coming on line are related to work she was doing on AIDS in the 90's

As a wife, she is a no nonsense pillar of strength, as a scientist she is the same. Thats why I love her.

Impressive

What a lucky man you are!  And that she still finds you "interesting".......you're hilarious.  I love your sense of humor....or do you spell it humour?

Although I'm lucky enough not to have to take Nivomulab, I'm making sure to get my daily dose of bifidus, what the hell, can't hurt right?  I almost always eat yogurt in the morning and the one I buy has bifidus in it, but I've started taking a probiotic again as well.  

Donna~

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Options
    hip replacement

Foots, I just want to tell you that the easiest job we ever have as physical therapists, is rehabing THR. Like a tooth ache, remove the tooth and it can no longer hurt. There is some incisional pain but no big deal. Full weight bearing can be immediate. Follow your post-op precautions, listen to your therapist, and you are home free. I've had more older women fall in love with me after THR than you can imagine. Their whole lives reopen to happy pain free activity. You have got everything going your way. Don't forget your lottery ticket.

• Footstomper
    Options
    foxhd said:

hip replacement

Foots, I just want to tell you that the easiest job we ever have as physical therapists, is rehabing THR. Like a tooth ache, remove the tooth and it can no longer hurt. There is some incisional pain but no big deal. Full weight bearing can be immediate. Follow your post-op precautions, listen to your therapist, and you are home free. I've had more older women fall in love with me after THR than you can imagine. Their whole lives reopen to happy pain free activity. You have got everything going your way. Don't forget your lottery ticket.

Surgery on hip

Looking forward to it.

After a ten hour operation to remove my Kidney I reckon 2 hours to replace my hip holds no fear for me.

I'm told that after the operation I'll be dancing like Gene Kelly in a thunderstorm.

I should add that I never danced like Gene Kelly in the rain

• foxhd
    Options
    herbs and spices

so,....if we eat Kentucky fried chicken with all it's herbs and spices, we should just about have most cancers covered. Double up on the breasts for me.

Ever wonder how someone can have 31 posts on the day they join? Yet no bio information? As Tom Petty says, "Don't you come around here no more." I hate scammers. Preying on the unfortunate. You should go to jail.

oops. for those not understanding my post, it was in response to a post by a scammer that got yanked after my response.

• Footstomper
    Options
    foxhd said:

herbs and spices

so,....if we eat Kentucky fried chicken with all it's herbs and spices, we should just about have most cancers covered. Double up on the breasts for me.

Ever wonder how someone can have 31 posts on the day they join? Yet no bio information? As Tom Petty says, "Don't you come around here no more." I hate scammers. Preying on the unfortunate. You should go to jail.

oops. for those not understanding my post, it was in response to a post by a scammer that got yanked after my response.

Spam

She even had the wrong type of cancer!

• hardo718
    Options
    Thanx Fox.

I kept looking at her post and wondering....what the ????  Some people are a real piece o' work.

Donna~

P.S.  How do you report suspicious posters anyway?

• foxhd
    edited June 2016 #69
    Options
    hardo718 said:

Thanx Fox.

I kept looking at her post and wondering....what the ????  Some people are a real piece o' work.

Donna~

P.S.  How do you report suspicious posters anyway?

Donna,

at the bottom of every post where you click to reply is another choice. Flag. We have had a few doozies over the years.

• hardo718
    Options
    foxhd said:

Donna,

at the bottom of every post where you click to reply is another choice. Flag. We have had a few doozies over the years.

Ah ha

Thank you!