I am 5 years Cancer Free! What a Tremendous and Wonderful Feat from UPSC - Stage 1!

cheerful
cheerful Member Posts: 261 Member

Hi Everyone:

I just wanted to let everyone know my Tremendous and Wonderful Feat that I am now 5 years cancer free! I was originally diagnosed in February of 2011 with Stage 1 of UPSC and I never had a reoccurrence.  I am so thrilled and happy that I made it to my 5 year mark.  I plan on going out to dinner in the next few days to celebrate with my family for a delicious steak dinner from a gift card I had received during the holiday season to Outback Steak Restaurant in our area.

I saw my oncologist for my 6 month visit and now I am officially 5 years cancer free and Disease free!  He does want me to have a cat scan and I will have that done in the next few months as well as my blood work beforehand, but otherwise, I go back and see my oncologist in another year.  

My oncologist who is well known in the PA area is semi retired and works out of his office one day a week.

I do plan to check on the CSN Board to see how everyone is doing on the UPSC Board from time to time.

I am so saddened though to hear of those women who have lost their fight with UPSC and other uterine types of cancer as I have known quite a few of the women who have passed away from this horrible cancer through the uterine board.  

I feel very blessed, fortunate and happy that I have survived and made it to my 5 year mark from UPSC for which I am very, very grateful.  I am grateful to my oncologist, the nurses that gave me the chemo and my gyn who has since retired.  I live in PA in a suburb.  I feel as though I have been given a second chance at life.  I am very grateful for each and every day that I have.

I also have lost close to 70 lbs over this past year from a Minor Ischemic Stroke I had in May of 2015 and arrived at the hospital very quickly so I have No debilitating symptoms from my stroke -and that is my 3rd chance at life.  I also went through recent Gall Bladder surgery in February as I was sick with No appetite for close to 6 months. I am now just gradually getting my appetite back from the gallbladder and that was a horrible thing to go through since October of 2015 up through the end of March with No Appetite.  I had laparoscopic surgery in early February and I do feel so much better now.  I also have a lot more energy each day as well.

I wish all of you women very well with your fight with UPSC - just do whatever you can and live and enjoy each and every day to the fullest.

Cheerful

a/k/a Jane

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Jane - WONDERFUL NEWS!!!! 

Jane - WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!  I'm so happy to celebrate this major milestone with you. It sounds like you are well on your way to recovery from the latest issues and I hope you enjoy the heck out of your steak! :-)

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Great news!

So wonderful to hear someone hit the 5 year mark.  I'll raise a glass of wine to you when I'm out to dinner this weekend!

Chris

• cheerful

Jane - WONDERFUL NEWS!!!! 

Jane - WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!  I'm so happy to celebrate this major milestone with you. It sounds like you are well on your way to recovery from the latest issues and I hope you enjoy the heck out of your steak! :-)

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Hi Cindi:

Thanks for your wishes for reaching my 5 year mark. I greatly appreciate it. I did look at your profile. I was 59 1/2 when I was diagnosed in Feb of 2011. I am now 64 years old and will reach 65 in July a big milestone year.  I live in PA a small suburb.  I do have 2 first cousins that live in FL one in Fort Myers an my other cousin lives in Clermont, FL not far from Disney World.

I noticed that you are also Stage 1 and you do have a very high chance of getting through our cancer and making it to the 5 year mark.  My radiation doctor told me when I started the journey in the summer of 2011 that I had a 90% chance of survival which is very, very high, (I also had 3 brachytherapy treatments) so you should also do extremely well.  Just watch what you eat and go for walks. Going for walks and my eating habits are what made me to lose the weight plus going through the Ischemic stroke I had my surgeon last year said to me to lose the weight, so I took him seriously, went for walks every day, watched what I ate and I lost 40 lbs from June to October. Then I got gallbladder problems and lost an additional 25 lbs. I am very thin now and do feel so much better.  It is better for my heart also as I was diagnosed with atrial fibrilation along with the stroke.  I am on medication for my stroke and the A-fib.

Again, Cindi, thanks for your wishes and I really do appreciate it.

Love,

Jane

• cheerful
    Editgrl said:

Great news!

So wonderful to hear someone hit the 5 year mark.  I'll raise a glass of wine to you when I'm out to dinner this weekend!

Chris

Hi Chris:

Thanks for your wishes for my reaching my 5 year mark as I do appreciate it!

Jane

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Congratulations!

Its time for the happy dance!

Dancing for joy with you!

Kathy

• cheerful
    Kaleena said:

Congratulations!

Its time for the happy dance!

Dancing for joy with you!

Kathy

Hi Kathy:

Thanks for your Congratulatory wishes and I really appreciate it.

Warmly,

Jane

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,676 Member
    cheerful said:

Hi Kathy:

Thanks for your Congratulatory wishes and I really appreciate it.

Warmly,

Jane

Party time

I'm  so pleased for you, Jane.  Here's to many, more years.

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    Great news Cheerful

Thanks for sharing ,I wish your cancer never return,Thanks for the walk reminder, I have been slacking off,and keeps threatening to go walking without following through with my threat. I will change that tomorrow.

Moli-Celebrating with you my sister.

• HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    Love reading this sort of news!

I LOVE reading this sort of news!  Congratulations Jane - it's a long road but it's all behind you now.

So pleased for you.

Love
    Helen x

• Hopeful162
    Hopeful162 Member Posts: 82
    HellieC said:

I LOVE reading this sort of news!  Congratulations Jane - it's a long road but it's all behind you now.

So pleased for you.

Love
    Helen x

Congratulations are in order!

Wonderful news, Cheerful!

(From Hopeful, another stage 1, UPSC survivor--15 months out.)

• cheerful
    ConnieSW said:

Party time

I'm  so pleased for you, Jane.  Here's to many, more years.

Hi Connie:

Thanks for responding and your great wishes - I do hope I can live a long life.

Jane

• cheerful
    molimoli said:

Great news Cheerful

Thanks for sharing ,I wish your cancer never return,Thanks for the walk reminder, I have been slacking off,and keeps threatening to go walking without following through with my threat. I will change that tomorrow.

Moli-Celebrating with you my sister.

Hi Moli:

Thanks for your e-mail and I do hope my cancer Never returns.  I have done everything to eat better, take walks and have lost close to 70 lbs.  I do have a lot more energy and feel stronger on a daily basis.  I do credit my son who also lost over 100 lbs to my better eating habits.

I just got over recent gallbladder surgery and lost my appetite for almost 6 months. It was a hard time to get through, but the surgery is now 2 1/2 months behind me and I finally have my appetite back so I am eating much better now.  

Jane

• cheerful
    HellieC said:

So pleased for you.

Love
    Helen x

Hi Helen:

Thanks for your good wishes.  Yes, your right, it was a long road, so glad this is all behind me. I have lost about 70 lbs. I feel so much better and stronger.  I also credit my son who is now in his early 20s with helping me to have better eating habits. My son lost over 100 lbs also.  The 5 years really went by quick.  As you know, we all went through so much with getting the diagnosis and then going through chemo treatments.  I am now 64 and will turn 65 in July.

I do hope Helen that you are doing as well as can be expected.

I plan to still be on the website and looking at e-mails from everyone. The women here are great and I have made a couple of really good friends from the Board.

Love,
    Jane

• cheerful

Congratulations are in order!

Wonderful news, Cheerful!

(From Hopeful, another stage 1, UPSC survivor--15 months out.)

Hi Hopeful:

Thanks for responding. You should be able to get through the 5 years with hopefully No reoccurrence. I know I was always worried when I saw my oncologist for the visits every 6 months and hoped for good news which I always had. My oncologist had mentioned to me from the beginning that he felt I would survive the cancer since I also had Stage 1.  

I did read that anyone with Stage 1 of UPSC has a 94% chance of surviving which is very, very high. Also, my radiologist had told me when I was going through brachytherapy treatments that I had a 90% chance of surviving which is very high also so you do have a lot to be grateful and thankful for and look forward to a future.  We are both very fortunate and blessed to have caught our cancer early.

I still plan on being on the website and looking at e-mails from the women on the Board.  The women on the Board are great and I do have a couple of friends here that I am very close with.

Cheerful

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,351 Member
    Yeah, Jane!!!!  Yes, live

Yeah, Jane!!!!  Yes, live life every day to the fullest and I raise my glass to you!  

Much love!

• Kathy G.
    Kathy G. Member Posts: 244 Member
    Hi Jane!
    Just wanted to add

Hi Jane!

Just wanted to add my congratulations and Phew...(wiping your brow!)....you made it thru to the 5 year marker...such a good sign for your future!

So happy for you...glad you were one of the 'lucky' ones!

Kathy

• ncg007
    ncg007 Member Posts: 138 Member
    Jane horray!

Wonderful news and inspiration to all of us not there yet.  I wish you all the best and continued good health!

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    cheerful said:

Hi Moli:

Thanks for your e-mail and I do hope my cancer Never returns.  I have done everything to eat better, take walks and have lost close to 70 lbs.  I do have a lot more energy and feel stronger on a daily basis.  I do credit my son who also lost over 100 lbs to my better eating habits.

I just got over recent gallbladder surgery and lost my appetite for almost 6 months. It was a hard time to get through, but the surgery is now 2 1/2 months behind me and I finally have my appetite back so I am eating much better now.  

Jane

Jane, I am very happy for you and your son,

excess weight causes every little ill to multiply. Great for the determination you both showed.Your posts tells us all that we too can do right by trying to fix the things  we have power over. 

I too lost the weight and happy, now embarking on body pruning to pick up the slacks (if you know what I mean)LOL

I am having surgery soon ,and hoping that they will take out my gall bladder,as I have 2 stones but no symptom, no pain, I am afraid to leave them behind only to go through another surgery, we'll see.

Moli --Wishing continual showers of NED blessings . Nuff love

• DrienneB
    DrienneB Member Posts: 182
    YAY!!

From one Jane to another, congratulations!!!

• Brighton
    Brighton Member Posts: 15
    Happy Happy

Congradulations to you Jane.