10 days later!

2»

Comments

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member
    medic1971 said:

It's out!

Welcome back,

Happy to hear you are back and doing okay.  I am sorry to hear about the skin tear with the tape, you might list that as an allergy.  Some people are allergic to the adhesive used in some tapes that will actually irritate, and in some cases inflame, the skin making it more prone to tearing.

I think I used the narcotic pain meds at night for about 2 or maybe even 3 weeks post-op.  I had my surgery in Oct and my abdominal muscles are still sore.  Feels like that I did a hundred crunches the day before.

Sending good vibes and prayers to you for your visit on Tuesday!

Jason

I notice how sore my stomach

I notice how sore my stomach muscles are too.  Also, my mid back hurts like I have a side stitch from running.  I tend to hurt all over but I guess that from not moving around as much.  Thats next on my list as soon as I know its ok.  Dr said nothing much for 4 weeks after surgery.  He said that delayed bleeding happens in partials if not careful.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    daisybud said:

I notice how sore my stomach muscles are too.  Also, my mid back hurts like I have a side stitch from running.  I tend to hurt all over but I guess that from not moving around as much.  Thats next on my list as soon as I know its ok.  Dr said nothing much for 4 weeks after surgery.  He said that delayed bleeding happens in partials if not careful.

What I did right after

What I did right after surgery is slowly walk around my house for about 5 - 6 minutes every hour. I couldn't do it outside as there was snow and ice. Then I gradually worked up to 8 minutes, then 10, etc. Finally I went back on the treadmill after about 1 month and a half for 15 - 20 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon. But I wasn't running just walking faster than up till then.

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    daisybud said:

I thought you could not take

I thought you could not take NSAIDS (advil/ibroprofin) if you had only one kidney left.

So yes it would be helpful to take an anti-inflammatory like Advil. ASK you MD

And I am still bothered by his ripping off that tape. Hmm.. Ask him about that too.

Let us know how you are doing. Walking is helpful.

Your back issues could be from laying flat from surgery? You could ask your surgeonif they moved you into some other position, but I thought we're all flat on surgical table.

Again, healing..and soon you'll start to feel better. ICE your sore abdomen and I wouldwear that lumbar wrap to support those sore muscles.

Hugs, Jan

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,041 Member
    Jan4you said:

I thought you could not take

I thought you could not take NSAIDS (advil/ibroprofin) if you had only one kidney left.

So yes it would be helpful to take an anti-inflammatory like Advil. ASK you MD

And I am still bothered by his ripping off that tape. Hmm.. Ask him about that too.

Let us know how you are doing. Walking is helpful.

Your back issues could be from laying flat from surgery? You could ask your surgeonif they moved you into some other position, but I thought we're all flat on surgical table.

Again, healing..and soon you'll start to feel better. ICE your sore abdomen and I wouldwear that lumbar wrap to support those sore muscles.

Hugs, Jan

Not always flat on your back

I can't remember the term, but I was on a tiltable table, at about 45-50 degrees with my left side down, which allowed organs to drop by gravity and not crowd the kidney and later the liver areas.

The "don't drive" command is at the request of your auto insurance carriers.  They really don't care to have a post surgical patient, weak and rummy, and on pain meds, going out and having a crash.  It makes you almost always at fault and the carrier having to pay out a chunk of money.  And the docs don't want to see you back in ER with further damage or complications.  I guess it becomes a judgement issue.

On my first surgery, I couldn't even walk without someone to by my pillar of strenth.  On the second one, we spent the 1st night out with our daughter, but  were still a 5 hour drive from home;  my husband drove the first 3 hours and I drove the last 2 and was fine, but wasn't taking pain pills.

So glad to hear you are progressing satisfactorily.  Keep up the good work.

Hugs, donna_lee

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member
    I also had terrible pain in

I also had terrible pain in my upper back and around right shoulder, it was killing me for a week if I wanted to sit still for half an hour. I thought it might be because of positioning during surgery, the fun part was I had almost no pain near by incision! It got better day by day. but almost six months post surgery I had moderate pain in my chest, again right side, I had bone scan, CT scan but nothing showed up. It took almost 9 months but suddenly recovered. Neph is a major surgery and it might have some side effects as long as 2 years (My oncologist told me) so don't worry but the most accurate suggestion is what our own Dr. tells us

Forough

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    foroughsh said:

I also had terrible pain in

I also had terrible pain in my upper back and around right shoulder, it was killing me for a week if I wanted to sit still for half an hour. I thought it might be because of positioning during surgery, the fun part was I had almost no pain near by incision! It got better day by day. but almost six months post surgery I had moderate pain in my chest, again right side, I had bone scan, CT scan but nothing showed up. It took almost 9 months but suddenly recovered. Neph is a major surgery and it might have some side effects as long as 2 years (My oncologist told me) so don't worry but the most accurate suggestion is what our own Dr. tells us

Forough

Forough, I wonder if that

Forough, I wonder if that early pain you had in your upper back and shoulder was that trapped gas? That is a typical place it likes to sit and its horrible! I thought worse than incisional pain. And you can take GasX products as its not in the intestines. I would move my arm around 360 degrees for days to get it to move.

Hope your other pain improves.

Jan