Nuelasta shot and almost done

2»

Comments

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Soup52 said:

Naulasta shot

My friend just asked me if I had had this shot and I said no. Do people usually get this when their blood counts are low?

Nuelasta shot

The Nuelasta shot is only for white blood cells and does nothing for platelets and red blood,cells.  I get it have have had no problems with it. It has kept my wbc up. Low platelets have caused me delays several times.  Hugs and prayers Lou Ann

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    Lou Ann M said:

Nuelasta shot

The Nuelasta shot is only for white blood cells and does nothing for platelets and red blood,cells.  I get it have have had no problems with it. It has kept my wbc up. Low platelets have caused me delays several times.  Hugs and prayers Lou Ann

Ahhhh...Lou Ann, thank you

Ahhhh...Lou Ann, thank you for your imput.  

What was said to me during all my treatment was "push the protien".  

• Ahhhh...Lou Ann, thank you

Ahhhh...Lou Ann, thank you for your imput.  

What was said to me during all my treatment was "push the protien".  

Low platelets-nothing we can do but wait.

I talked with my doctor yesterday after they reluctantly aggreed to give me my 4th chemo with platelets count at 95 (they cut off at 100).  He said they don't want the chemo to kill me, just kill any stray cancer cells left after surgery.  He also said there is nothing but time that will bring up platelet counts.  I asked about Neumega and he said NO, that is only to be used if it was critical that you receive chemo, and he also said that drug should be archived, because of the nasty and life threatening side effects.  He also said ibuprofen is ok with moderation, because the only thing ibuprofen does to affect your platelets is if it causes gastro bleeding.  He said nothing that I can eat or drink or do will increase platelets at a increased count.  Last he said (at least for me) my chemo is adjuvant chemo, he thinks the surgery got everything active, and delaying chemo for 2 weeks is just fine.  He did say if I had to be delayed over 2 weeks, he will then check into the low platelet count and see why it isn't coming up.  Mine increased by 1 from wednesday to friday and that's why he allowed chemo yesterday.  I also got a reduced dose of chemo yesterday to help with the nerves and the low platelet count.  Hugs Nancy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    unknown said:

I talked with my doctor yesterday after they reluctantly aggreed to give me my 4th chemo with platelets count at 95 (they cut off at 100).  He said they don't want the chemo to kill me, just kill any stray cancer cells left after surgery.  He also said there is nothing but time that will bring up platelet counts.  I asked about Neumega and he said NO, that is only to be used if it was critical that you receive chemo, and he also said that drug should be archived, because of the nasty and life threatening side effects.  He also said ibuprofen is ok with moderation, because the only thing ibuprofen does to affect your platelets is if it causes gastro bleeding.  He said nothing that I can eat or drink or do will increase platelets at a increased count.  Last he said (at least for me) my chemo is adjuvant chemo, he thinks the surgery got everything active, and delaying chemo for 2 weeks is just fine.  He did say if I had to be delayed over 2 weeks, he will then check into the low platelet count and see why it isn't coming up.  Mine increased by 1 from wednesday to friday and that's why he allowed chemo yesterday.  I also got a reduced dose of chemo yesterday to help with the nerves and the low platelet count.  Hugs Nancy

Nancy

I delayed my chemo for two weeks when I switched from weekly to the every 3 week full dosage. And my chemo was also adjuvant.

I hope your counts start building so that you can continue plus start to feel better!

Take care Nancy and I'm glad you got some answers from you doctor.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    unknown said:

I know you were worried about

I know you were worried about delaying the chemo so I'm glad you got it even if it was a reduced dosage.  My doctor said the same thing about using food to raise my red blood count but the dietician gave me a list of things to eat to do just that.  I got some very confusing information when I was going through chemo - chemo nurse said to eat bland food like white bread; dietician said no white bread, just whole grain bread.  There were a lot of things like that now that I think of it.  It would have been nice to get all these people in the same room and hash it out - LOL Wink

Love,

Eldri

• ncg007
    ncg007 Member Posts: 138 Member
    ncg007 said:

Chemo delayed

Thank you all for your comments.  But no luck with getting that final round of chemo today, all counts too low. So disappointed, but not surprised as I could feel myself getting weaker over the weekend.  Plan now is to get that blood transfusion I was anticipating tomorrow and hopefully get the final chemo next week.  Nervous about the transfusion since I had an allergic reaction on the second unit during the last transfusion.  At this point I'm ready to say forget the final chemo and run away to Florida to get out of the deep freeze here in MI!

Done!

Happy to report I was able to get my final chemo treatment yesterday.  Besides getting Nuelasta later today, I am hopefully done!  Last weeks blood transfusion boosted my hemaglobin/RBC, but neutrophil/WBC remain low so I need the Nuelasta again.  Took exactly 6 months to complete treatment; from hysterectomy, 2 rounds of Cisplatin with 28 rounds of radiation and then completed with 4 carbol/taxol.  I'll follow up with Onc in 6 weeks to discuss ongoing monitoring; it was already commented that there will be no scan as I have had already been exposed to so much radiation with treatments and previous scans, so no need to add more.  Makes sense with tumors being removed with surgery so none to monitor and sure would hope no new would have developed during all this treatment.  I'm anxious to discuss this further as I've seen much discussion on scan vs no scan.  Now it's time to book a trip to FL in April for some real R&R before returning back to work.

Nancy

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    ncg007 said:

Done!

Happy to report I was able to get my final chemo treatment yesterday.  Besides getting Nuelasta later today, I am hopefully done!  Last weeks blood transfusion boosted my hemaglobin/RBC, but neutrophil/WBC remain low so I need the Nuelasta again.  Took exactly 6 months to complete treatment; from hysterectomy, 2 rounds of Cisplatin with 28 rounds of radiation and then completed with 4 carbol/taxol.  I'll follow up with Onc in 6 weeks to discuss ongoing monitoring; it was already commented that there will be no scan as I have had already been exposed to so much radiation with treatments and previous scans, so no need to add more.  Makes sense with tumors being removed with surgery so none to monitor and sure would hope no new would have developed during all this treatment.  I'm anxious to discuss this further as I've seen much discussion on scan vs no scan.  Now it's time to book a trip to FL in April for some real R&R before returning back to work.

Nancy

3 cheers, Nancy

You have a new red letter day to put on your calendar.  Mine is 8/15 and we celebrate every year.

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    ncg007 said:

Done!

Nancy

I'm so happy for you - to be

I'm so happy for you - to be done and looking forward to a trip to Florida!!

Keep us updated!

Love,

Eldri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member

I'm so happy for you - to be

I'm so happy for you - to be done and looking forward to a trip to Florida!!

Keep us updated!

Love,

Eldri

great news!

So glad that you were able to finish. Now, get through the side effects and then celebrate! Life does get back to some kind of normal fairly quickly... For me, about 2 months or so. Smile  Not 100% but way better than while going thru all the stuff.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    Eldri

About a month ago, I saw a list of 10 foods you shouldn't eat because they cause cancer (there are many different such lists on the Internet).  I noticed this one particularly because I had recently asked the PA at my family physician's office to recommend a snack for me.  He came up with several things that didn't appeal too much to me, and I said to him "I mean something with flour in it."  He point blank told me he didn't want me eating any flour.  I was too stunned to ask why.  When I saw the 10 foods list, white bread was number one on the list.  It said that (white) flour is sprayed with a chlorinating gas to make it more appealing to the eye (in other words, it's bleached it to make it white).Who wants to be eating that chemical?  I know white bread is high on the glycemic index (it raises your blood sugar and then drops it quickly so it makes you hungry faster than whole grain bread would). Whole grains are usually considered healthier in general, so I would think that should be your choice as long as your gut doesn't have too much of a problem with fiber.

Incidentally, my mother had celiac disease, so it's possible my PA had seen that in my record and ruled out my having any flour in case I developed the same disease.  It tends to run in families.

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    ncg007 said:

Done!

Nancy

Congratulations, Nancy!

So glad to hear that your treatments are done! It gives me hope that I can make it through the rest of mine, too. Have a great trip and enjoy yourself!

• ncg007 said:

Done!

Nancy

Good for you

From one Nancy to another, enjoy your freedom from the infusion/radiation room.  Hugs Nancy