Options
2»

Comments

• Just_lori6
    Just_lori6 Member Posts: 76
    Options
    camul said:

Wish you the best. Bring a

Wish you the best. Bring a  ook, use the heated blankets, bring a sandwich or something to munch.  Most important is drink a lot of fluid to wash the chemo out of your system.  Take the nausea meds b4 you get sick, and if you get tired , sleep.  Your body tells you what you need.

8)

Thank you! I was told not to take the anti nausea medication until the next night (that was bad advise). I ended up getting sick so next time I will take them before getting sick. 8) I have been forcing myself to drink lots of water as I never drink water. I like it, just don't drink it.

Thank you so much for the advise! I've been thinking best wishes for you everyday~ I hope you're pain free and doing well.

Take care,

Lori 

• Just_lori6
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Just checking in to see how you are doing

a Fellow Chemo Queen here - so many things to worry about -- excellent suggestions given ..

i would add - take notebook with you - describe to tour NP or chemo nurse all your issues, side effects and ask for doctor's recommendations

plastic forks and spoons helped me with "my metal taste" that took over my taste buds-- this lasted taste lasted for 10 days after each chemo treatment.

gentle hugs for you .

Vicki Sam

8)

Hi Vicki Sam,

I am going to get some plastic utensils! Thanks for the advise~ I can taste the metal when I eat with the silverware~blah! 

My first chemo went pretty good. I got sick but I'm sure next time as long as I take the medication before I get sick it'll go better. 

I am definitely going to note everything so if I have questions or want to remember things I'll have it. Thank you so much, this site is such a great help! Everyone is so helpful and nice! 

How is your chemo going? Well I hope~

Best wishes for you,

Lori 

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

8)

Hello,

It's like we are going to the same dr. I am doing the same chemo as you 4 of each every other Monday. 8) they told me the same (if nausea meds did not work they'd change them for me). I actually got sick the same day but next time I will take the nausea meds sooner so I won't have to wait for it to kick in. Thankfully I was feeling just fine by Christmas.

My husband has been approved for FMLA so he will go with me to each chemo. I feel the same~ I'm positive I could drive myself but they say not to so I guess I'll have him sit with me.

So far so good~ thanks so much for the advise!

Best wishes for you~

Lori

nausea meds

Ask if they can make any changes in the IV anti nausea meds they give you before the chemo, made a big difference when they added Emend to mine.

Glad your husband will be going with you, if you get benadryl prior to the chemo it can make you drowsy and not safe to drive.

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options

8)

Thank you! I was told not to take the anti nausea medication until the next night (that was bad advise). I ended up getting sick so next time I will take them before getting sick. 8) I have been forcing myself to drink lots of water as I never drink water. I like it, just don't drink it.

Thank you so much for the advise! I've been thinking best wishes for you everyday~ I hope you're pain free and doing well.

Take care,

Lori 

Checking in

Hi, Lori

You are up to about day 5.  I was just thinking of you and wanted to send some encouragement.  For me, days 5 to 9 were a little difficult - just know there is light at the end of the road.  While my chemo must have been different from yours (taxotere/cytoxin), we all share in some type of side effects.  Knowing that others got through their tough days can help you as well.

First treatment was not bad as to fatigue.  Just don't overdo it with the holiday coming.  You will feel better next week and you can begin to make your "plan of attack" for the next round.  Don't be afraid to ask onco or nurses any question that you have.  I found that sometimes the answer was "that probably is not related to your chemo," but I wanted everything documented. 

take care,

Kathy

• Just_lori6
    Options
    Teach76 said:

Checking in

Hi, Lori

You are up to about day 5.  I was just thinking of you and wanted to send some encouragement.  For me, days 5 to 9 were a little difficult - just know there is light at the end of the road.  While my chemo must have been different from yours (taxotere/cytoxin), we all share in some type of side effects.  Knowing that others got through their tough days can help you as well.

First treatment was not bad as to fatigue.  Just don't overdo it with the holiday coming.  You will feel better next week and you can begin to make your "plan of attack" for the next round.  Don't be afraid to ask onco or nurses any question that you have.  I found that sometimes the answer was "that probably is not related to your chemo," but I wanted everything documented. 

take care,

Kathy

8)

Hi Kathy,

Sorry so long to get back to you. It seems like all I do now a days is visit doctors. 

Thanks for asking~ I am doing really good. I am kind of dreading my next chemo on Jan 4 because I got sick the first time but I'm going to take the anti nausea medicine before getting sick so fingers crossed I won't get sick this time 8) I didn't & don't think going bald is going to be too bad but I woke up this morning with a stray hair on my arm and felt bad. It was not hair loss yet (just a normal.stray hair) 8) but it made me realize that I might be losing my hair shortly. 

How are you? Are you done with all your treatments now? 

Happt New Year!!

~Lori

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

8)

Hi Kathy,

Sorry so long to get back to you. It seems like all I do now a days is visit doctors. 

Thanks for asking~ I am doing really good. I am kind of dreading my next chemo on Jan 4 because I got sick the first time but I'm going to take the anti nausea medicine before getting sick so fingers crossed I won't get sick this time 8) I didn't & don't think going bald is going to be too bad but I woke up this morning with a stray hair on my arm and felt bad. It was not hair loss yet (just a normal.stray hair) 8) but it made me realize that I might be losing my hair shortly. 

Happt New Year!!

~Lori

nausea meds

Also remember to ask MO if there's anything different they can try for nausea premed.

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options

8)

Hi Kathy,

Happt New Year!!

~Lori

Treatments and free stuff

Hi, Lori

I finished chemo the first week in November.  I had severe swelling in my legs and shortness of breath from round 4 forward, and a month after chemo ended I still had swelling.  Onco felt it was just from the taxotere and it will "eventually" go away.  Surgeon was concerned that chemo affected the heart.  After almost a month of waiting for an appointment and further testing, I am glad to say the onco was right.  Cardio cleared me for surgery, so now I have to see how scheduling will work.  I had thought everything would be done by December (chemo, lumpectomy, radiation), but not so.  Even with radiation I have conflicting facts:  breast surgeon says i will begin about 4 weeks after surgery, plastic surgeon said count on more like 6-8 weeks since they need to take part of the pectoral muscle.

As to nausea, you are good to mention it to dr or nurses.  I tried to find the link whereby you can get FREE samples of queasy pops and chews.  They were very generous in sending them quickly.  If ai can find the site, I will post it.  Maybe someone else has it, too.

I will also look for the site where you can order a free hat/head wrap.  There are so many organizations that are generous to us.  You just need to do a little searching, or hear from others what they have found.  The Look Good Feel Better session I attended was most enjoyable, too.  I was reluctant to go, since my usual makeup routine lasted about 2 minutes on a good day.  When I brought the products home my daughters(3) and I had some reallly good laughs as they attempted to try to transform me into Glam-Mom!

Enjoy today, and each day of 2016!  Even though we have to put up with a lot of uncomfortable situations while moving forward to healing, we can look forward to the smiles around us, and the care of family and friends!

Kathy

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    Options

8)

Take care,

Lori 

Ask for different meds. They

Ask for different meds. They changed my prescription so I could take anti nausea meds the same night if needed.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    checking in to see how you

checking in to see how you are doing?

Denise