First Chemotherapy tomorrow

Hello everyone, 

I haven't checked in for a little bit. I've had so many appointments that it seems like I haven't had much time to just sit down. Tomorrow is my very first chemo treatment and I have no idea what to expect. If anyone has any advice or can let me know what to expect I would appreciate it so much.

I hope you are all doing wonderful & able to enjoy the holidays~

Thank you,

Lori 

Comments

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    For me, infusion day wasn't

For me, infusion day wasn't bad. Every place is different I'm sure, but mine had individual cubicles you could curtain off it you want, a comfy chair, and a TV. A couple chairs for visitors. The staff was really sweet. They had drinks and served lunch. Accessing the port is a little prick if you got the numbing cream, but even if you didn't the pain is over fast. Your doc may prescribe pre-meds for nausea and anxiety, which will make you sleepy. The whole process takes 3-5 hope, depending. You won't feel the infusion itself although you might be tired at the end. I was really nervous the first time, but it wasn't as scary as i feared. The nausea didn't set in for a few hours.

Did you have any specific questions?

Good luck, and I hope your SEs aren't bad!

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    Neulasta

Hi, I did get very sick after my first chemo and wound up in the hospital.  They gave me neulasta after each treatment and the rest of my treatments were OK.  I did have to have daily infusions of liquids for awhile which was done at home.  Hopefully you will have an easy time with it but rest assured if you do not they will figure out how to make you more comfortable with the treatments.  Its all doable.  I know you're frightened but you will be OK.  We're all here for you!

Best,

Sharon 

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    no advice......but sending

no advice......but sending hugs and pixie dust..

Denise

• Just_lori6
    Just_lori6 Member Posts: 76
    twnkltoz said:

For me, infusion day wasn't

For me, infusion day wasn't bad. Every place is different I'm sure, but mine had individual cubicles you could curtain off it you want, a comfy chair, and a TV. A couple chairs for visitors. The staff was really sweet. They had drinks and served lunch. Accessing the port is a little prick if you got the numbing cream, but even if you didn't the pain is over fast. Your doc may prescribe pre-meds for nausea and anxiety, which will make you sleepy. The whole process takes 3-5 hope, depending. You won't feel the infusion itself although you might be tired at the end. I was really nervous the first time, but it wasn't as scary as i feared. The nausea didn't set in for a few hours.

Did you have any specific questions?

Good luck, and I hope your SEs aren't bad!

8)

Thank you soooo much! I am due to go in in a couple hours & you have made me feel much better.  I do have one question. My Dr said he will be sending me home with 5 shots I will need to give myself in my stomach on the third day for 5 days after. I've never heard anyone else mention that. Did you have to do that? 

Thanks again, I really feel much better!

~Lori 

• Just_lori6
    cati0314 said:

Neulasta

Hi, I did get very sick after my first chemo and wound up in the hospital.  They gave me neulasta after each treatment and the rest of my treatments were OK.  I did have to have daily infusions of liquids for awhile which was done at home.  Hopefully you will have an easy time with it but rest assured if you do not they will figure out how to make you more comfortable with the treatments.  Its all doable.  I know you're frightened but you will be OK.  We're all here for you!

Best,

Sharon 

8)

Thank you Susan,

I have been told I will be given 5 shots that I will have to give myself after chemo. Not sure if that's the same as your daily infusuins.

Thanks for the info~everyone is so nice and helpful.

Well wishes your way~

Lori

• Just_lori6

no advice......but sending

no advice......but sending hugs and pixie dust..

Denise

8)

Thank you tons !!! 8)

~Lori 

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member

8)

Thank you tons !!! 8)

~Lori 

Chemo Tips

I think you are a very brave and determined woman to begin chemo right before Xmas. Congratulations. As another poster has said, every infusion area is different. Mine did not provide lunch but I often saw patients bring snacks with them. I had considerable nausea so I didn't eat during the chemo Infusion. I was always armed with a good book. Sometimes I read and other times I did not. Since Benadryl is typically administered through the IV drip I primarily slept. My center had comfy blankets to use but if you have a favorite from home you should bring it. You can also bring a laptop or tablet (with earphones) and surf the net, listen to music or work. If your chemo cocktail includes Adriamycin you might want to bring something VERY cold to drink during its infusion. My chemo nurse said that would help prevent mouth sores. My husband usually prepared a fruit smoothie for me to bring along. I never did get any mouth sores. 

The day after each chemo round I went back to the doctor's office (only 2 miles away) and was given a shot of Neupogen in my stomach. I never had to do it myself but I could have if I lived further away. 

That at is all I can think of at the moment. I wish you the best of luck. You can do this.

IRENE

• irisheyes14
    irisheyes14 Member Posts: 42
    MRI clear.

Lovely early Christmas present today hearing MRI was clear.  Ready for radiation now probably mid January.  Advice on here has helped me so much each step of the way.  Merry Christmas everyone and thinking of you all on this journey we're all on together. 

• irisheyes14

MRI clear.

Lovely early Christmas present today hearing MRI was clear.  Ready for radiation now probably mid January.  Advice on here has helped me so much each step of the way.  Merry Christmas everyone and thinking of you all on this journey we're all on together. 

Apologies

Apologies, meant to post this under my previous heading.  

• irisheyes14

8)

Thank you tons !!! 8)

~Lori 

Thinking of you tomorrow Lori

Thinking of you tomorrow Lori and sending lots good wishes.

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member

8)

Thank you soooo much! I am due to go in in a couple hours & you have made me feel much better.  I do have one question. My Dr said he will be sending me home with 5 shots I will need to give myself in my stomach on the third day for 5 days after. I've never heard anyone else mention that. Did you have to do that? 

Thanks again, I really feel much better!

~Lori 

Shots

I didn't have to give myself shots. I went back for a neulasta shot on day two of each cycle.

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Hi, Lori

Hi, Lori

I just finished 6 rounds of TC Neoadjuvant chemo.  As stated above, the day of infusion was not bad.  I was fortunate enough to have an iPad and WiFi there.  I had decided to watch old Psych episodes each time I went.  Took snacks and if I was there beyond 3 hours (and always was), my husband or friend would get lunch.

I wore comfy clothes and always took at least a sweater with me.  Cytoxin for some reason always made me cold.  Once you lose hair, you might want to take a soft hat instead of a wig(if you go that route).

If you had not yet thought about it, do yourself a favor and journal feelings and side effects.  I did mine by days: Day 1, Day 2, etc. Why?  I found that the side effects were predictable that way as treatments progressed.  For example, I knew that day 2pm brought the beginning of a loss of taste, but day 16 was a day I planned breakfast or lunch out because by then my taste was just about back to normal.  I also noted my reactions to certain foods.  After round 2 I decided that I would not try tomatoes until after my treatments were fully completed.  Write down questions as you think of them.  You may not need to call right away about some things, but you may forget before you see the onco next.  I took the back of my copybook for questions and crossed them off as I found answers.

As to the shots, I did not have them.  I went the day after each treatment for a Neulasta shot.  I did have a friend with a different form of cancer who had to do the shots at home.  If you are uncomfortable doing them, speak up to your oncologist( who you will probably see before), or the nurses.  You need to feel comfortable with every step of your treatment.  Some folks have a relative or friend who can do it.  

best of luck as you begin.  I came through 4 months, and it feels like I just started.  Keep up your sense of humor, and remember that you are welcome here to shout, vent, or ask for advice.

Kathy

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member

Not sure what your chemo drug will be.  For me, I did adriamycin/cytoxin first (4 every other week) and then taxol (4 every other week).  I had anti-puke drugs, but I only used them for the AC, as the taxol did not seem to bother me.  I had my infusions on Mondays.  I started to take my anti-puke drugs Wednesday night or Thursday morning and stopped them Sunday.  That seemed to be the days I needed them, but I only had mild queasiness.  My MED people told me that if the drugs I had were not working, I was to let them know and they would give me something different.  They told me there was no need to be sick from the chemo.

I had no shots to give myself, but I did go the Tuesday after an infusion for a Neulasta shot.

My infusion place had small rooms we could be in.  There were TVs that could also play videos.  They had magazines there.  I could ask for a blanket and pillow, if I thought I needed those.  Sometimes I did take the extra pillow.  The place offered drinks and snacks. 

I kept my chemo outing stuff in a black bag:  puzzle books, small clipboard/pen.  On chemo day I added my Kindle and Tracfone.  I also would toss in my questions I might have for the medical staff.

We all handle chemo differently.  I will say that I was able to travel from central NY to eastern OH for a weekend family reunion the same week I had my second infusion.  I did rather well.  (I say that thinking of your start date being so close to Christmas.)  I did take things a little easy, but I was thankful I was able to do that, as my family rarely is all together.

With the Taxol, I found my breathing was affected a bit, as far as being able to take deep breaths.  I also thought I had more achiness at times in my hips -- but that might have been the result of all of the chemo and not just taxol.  Not long after I finished chemo, the cough and breathing issues disappeared.

Chemo is do-able.  If you can have friends/family going with you, it does help pass the time -- although I think I could have driven myself to and from chemo.

Hope things go smoothly for you.

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Wish you the best. Bring a

Wish you the best. Bring a  ook, use the heated blankets, bring a sandwich or something to munch.  Most important is drink a lot of fluid to wash the chemo out of your system.  Take the nausea meds b4 you get sick, and if you get tired , sleep.  Your body tells you what you need.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    camul said:

Wish you the best. Bring a

Wish you the best. Bring a  ook, use the heated blankets, bring a sandwich or something to munch.  Most important is drink a lot of fluid to wash the chemo out of your system.  Take the nausea meds b4 you get sick, and if you get tired , sleep.  Your body tells you what you need.

Just checking in to see how you are doing

a Fellow Chemo Queen here - so many things to worry about -- excellent suggestions given ..

i would add - take notebook with you - describe to tour NP or chemo nurse all your issues, side effects and ask for doctor's recommendations

plastic forks and spoons helped me with "my metal taste" that took over my taste buds-- this lasted taste lasted for 10 days after each chemo treatment.

gentle hugs for you .

Vicki Sam

• Just_lori6

Chemo Tips

I think you are a very brave and determined woman to begin chemo right before Xmas. Congratulations. As another poster has said, every infusion area is different. Mine did not provide lunch but I often saw patients bring snacks with them. I had considerable nausea so I didn't eat during the chemo Infusion. I was always armed with a good book. Sometimes I read and other times I did not. Since Benadryl is typically administered through the IV drip I primarily slept. My center had comfy blankets to use but if you have a favorite from home you should bring it. You can also bring a laptop or tablet (with earphones) and surf the net, listen to music or work. If your chemo cocktail includes Adriamycin you might want to bring something VERY cold to drink during its infusion. My chemo nurse said that would help prevent mouth sores. My husband usually prepared a fruit smoothie for me to bring along. I never did get any mouth sores. 

The day after each chemo round I went back to the doctor's office (only 2 miles away) and was given a shot of Neupogen in my stomach. I never had to do it myself but I could have if I lived further away. 

That at is all I can think of at the moment. I wish you the best of luck. You can do this.

IRENE

Thank you

Hi Irene,

Well as you know (since I haven't been back since before Christmas), that I made it through the first chemo. I wasn't  there long enough for lunch which made me happy but they did say if I stayed longer they'd serve lunch. I did get sick almost exactly 6 hours after. I took the anti nausea medication but it took a while to kick in because I was sick all night and most of the next day. Next one I will take the nausea medicine right when I get done. 

Thanks so much for the advise, I did bring my phone so I could email & text & play games 8) I even remembered the charger in case it went dead while I was there. Next time I will bring a book as well.

I ended up going  into the infusion center on Christmas eve for a Neupogen shot because the Rx didn't get delivered to my house. They are going to be delivered tomorrow. I wonder why I hear so many people only get one shot after chemo and I have to get 5. 

I'm only 6 miles from the dr I wouldn't mind going in but the nurse did show me & my hubby how to do it so it should be easy.

Thanks again~ everyone here is so nice and helpful.

Best wishes~

Lori

• Just_lori6

Apologies

Apologies, meant to post this under my previous heading.  

8)

No worries! Your post was great to hear! I got the same news (mri clear) on Christmas eve! I was soooo relieved & it made this the best Christmas ever! I still have more chemo before my radiation but I feel so much better going through the next 6 months of treatments know there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel~

Best wishes for you~

Lori

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member

Thank you

Hi Irene,

Well as you know (since I haven't been back since before Christmas), that I made it through the first chemo. I wasn't  there long enough for lunch which made me happy but they did say if I stayed longer they'd serve lunch. I did get sick almost exactly 6 hours after. I took the anti nausea medication but it took a while to kick in because I was sick all night and most of the next day. Next one I will take the nausea medicine right when I get done. 

Thanks so much for the advise, I did bring my phone so I could email & text & play games 8) I even remembered the charger in case it went dead while I was there. Next time I will bring a book as well.

I ended up going  into the infusion center on Christmas eve for a Neupogen shot because the Rx didn't get delivered to my house. They are going to be delivered tomorrow. I wonder why I hear so many people only get one shot after chemo and I have to get 5. 

I'm only 6 miles from the dr I wouldn't mind going in but the nurse did show me & my hubby how to do it so it should be easy.

Thanks again~ everyone here is so nice and helpful.

Best wishes~

Lori

neulasta and neupogen

I don't know what criteria a dr uses to decide whether to use neulasta (the one shot) vs neupogen (the 5 shots), good question to ask him

• Just_lori6
    Teach76 said:

Hi, Lori

Hi, Lori

I just finished 6 rounds of TC Neoadjuvant chemo.  As stated above, the day of infusion was not bad.  I was fortunate enough to have an iPad and WiFi there.  I had decided to watch old Psych episodes each time I went.  Took snacks and if I was there beyond 3 hours (and always was), my husband or friend would get lunch.

I wore comfy clothes and always took at least a sweater with me.  Cytoxin for some reason always made me cold.  Once you lose hair, you might want to take a soft hat instead of a wig(if you go that route).

If you had not yet thought about it, do yourself a favor and journal feelings and side effects.  I did mine by days: Day 1, Day 2, etc. Why?  I found that the side effects were predictable that way as treatments progressed.  For example, I knew that day 2pm brought the beginning of a loss of taste, but day 16 was a day I planned breakfast or lunch out because by then my taste was just about back to normal.  I also noted my reactions to certain foods.  After round 2 I decided that I would not try tomatoes until after my treatments were fully completed.  Write down questions as you think of them.  You may not need to call right away about some things, but you may forget before you see the onco next.  I took the back of my copybook for questions and crossed them off as I found answers.

As to the shots, I did not have them.  I went the day after each treatment for a Neulasta shot.  I did have a friend with a different form of cancer who had to do the shots at home.  If you are uncomfortable doing them, speak up to your oncologist( who you will probably see before), or the nurses.  You need to feel comfortable with every step of your treatment.  Some folks have a relative or friend who can do it.  

best of luck as you begin.  I came through 4 months, and it feels like I just started.  Keep up your sense of humor, and remember that you are welcome here to shout, vent, or ask for advice.

Kathy

8)

Thank you Kathy,

I am going to grab my note book as soon as I get done here tonight and write down all that I can remember about my first treatment! What a great idea!

I was sick 6 hours after my treatment & it lasted into the next day. The nurse told me not to worry about taking the anti nausea medicine until the following night. About an hour into feeling sick I took them but it was too late. The only thing I've noticed not being able to eat is sweets. It's a drag because I love sweets but good because they aren't good for me anyways.

I told the nurse I wasn't sure about doing the shots myself so when I went in for my follow up she showed me and my husband how to do it. I will get the rest of the shots delivered tomorrow so I think we can do it. If not they are only 6 miles from me so I would mind driving over each day 8)

Thank you so much for the advise! I love this site! Everyone is so nice and helpful~

Best wishes 

Lori

• Just_lori6

Not sure what your chemo drug will be.  For me, I did adriamycin/cytoxin first (4 every other week) and then taxol (4 every other week).  I had anti-puke drugs, but I only used them for the AC, as the taxol did not seem to bother me.  I had my infusions on Mondays.  I started to take my anti-puke drugs Wednesday night or Thursday morning and stopped them Sunday.  That seemed to be the days I needed them, but I only had mild queasiness.  My MED people told me that if the drugs I had were not working, I was to let them know and they would give me something different.  They told me there was no need to be sick from the chemo.

I had no shots to give myself, but I did go the Tuesday after an infusion for a Neulasta shot.

My infusion place had small rooms we could be in.  There were TVs that could also play videos.  They had magazines there.  I could ask for a blanket and pillow, if I thought I needed those.  Sometimes I did take the extra pillow.  The place offered drinks and snacks. 

I kept my chemo outing stuff in a black bag:  puzzle books, small clipboard/pen.  On chemo day I added my Kindle and Tracfone.  I also would toss in my questions I might have for the medical staff.

We all handle chemo differently.  I will say that I was able to travel from central NY to eastern OH for a weekend family reunion the same week I had my second infusion.  I did rather well.  (I say that thinking of your start date being so close to Christmas.)  I did take things a little easy, but I was thankful I was able to do that, as my family rarely is all together.

With the Taxol, I found my breathing was affected a bit, as far as being able to take deep breaths.  I also thought I had more achiness at times in my hips -- but that might have been the result of all of the chemo and not just taxol.  Not long after I finished chemo, the cough and breathing issues disappeared.

Chemo is do-able.  If you can have friends/family going with you, it does help pass the time -- although I think I could have driven myself to and from chemo.

Hope things go smoothly for you.

8)

Hello,

It's like we are going to the same dr. I am doing the same chemo as you 4 of each every other Monday. 8) they told me the same (if nausea meds did not work they'd change them for me). I actually got sick the same day but next time I will take the nausea meds sooner so I won't have to wait for it to kick in. Thankfully I was feeling just fine by Christmas.

My husband has been approved for FMLA so he will go with me to each chemo. I feel the same~ I'm positive I could drive myself but they say not to so I guess I'll have him sit with me.

So far so good~ thanks so much for the advise!

Best wishes for you~

Lori