Just not feeling well. Neuropathy in feet just struck full force out of no where.

Options
Helen321
Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member

I know you'd think after cancer, I'd be running to an orthapedist about my feet but I just dread yet another doctor's visit.  My feet have been feeling painful but always tolerable.  Some days I even forget that I have pain in them, it's just something you get used to.  Today, I stood up and was washed over by general malaise, pain when I sit, my fingers are painful and the pain in my heels is so excruciating, I had to get off of my feet.  Lifes' way of saying, you should know better, get to a doctor sooner than later.  Need to make an appointment for my GP, orthapedist and next week I go to the oncologist for my general check-in.  Have to whip this body back into some kind of shape.

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Hang In There

Sorry to hear about the pain.  Hope the Doctor's get it straightened out quickly for you.  

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    Lear Helen,

My oncologist doesn't believe me but I think what is happening is that the chemo drugs that are designed to stay inside your DNA get released in bursts way after the chemo treatment, hence you get the symptoms. I still get the exact symptoms here and there I was having during chemo: itchy eyes with tears, tingling fingers and toes etc. 

I hope you find resolution soon.

Laz

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Something is afoot

I would go to a Podiatrist for your feet. Heel pain could be an indication of Plantar Fasciitis.

Sue - Trubrit

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    G'day Helen

I hope it is not a permanent thing for you. My only advice is to get it checked out early. Having said that ,it did not do me much good. I started to get bad neuropathy in conjunction with severe arthritis. I had just come off 18 months of 75mg a day prednisone for my kidneys. It took them some time to realize I was steroid resistent ,duh. My rheumatologist trialed me on lyrica , neurontin , and endep. None of them helped and lyrica was not on the phamrasuetical benefit scheme for neuropathy at that stage only epilepsy. Nearly sent me broke. Since then I have found that immuno-suppressants ramp up my neuropathy. I saw a neurologist. he did nerve conductivity tests. I had told him I had moderate to severe neuropathy in both feet and legs and I needed to know what caused it and how to treat it. He did the tests then told me I had moderate to severe peripheral neuropathy in both feet and legs . He did not know what caused it and because he did not know he would not treat me. That will be $500.00 thank you.  A***e. It has now moved to my left hand as well. Strangely I am taking targin80/40 a day . That is 80 mg oxycodone and 40 mg naloxone an opiate antagonist. I believe the naloxone is acting the same as ldn, low dose naltrexone and seems to be taking the edge off the neuropathy. Talk to your doc about LDN as it seems to be a good medication with few if any side effects. It has to be made by a compounding chemist but it may be worth a try, Hugs ron.

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    Neuropathy sucks!

i have in in both my hands and feet, and the feet are by far the worst.  Even just sitting on the couch like I am right now I have tingling and stabbing pains (also in my heels).  It's just really uncomfortable.

Both my brother and mom have/had trouble with this, so I think I may have an underlying propensity to it, but it's def got triggered due to chemo...came on during FOLFOX and never got better.  I don't think the docs have a clue as to just how much long-lasting damage comes from our treatments.

I know it's not a solution to the problem really, but I do find hydrocodone helps.  I was going to taper all the way off that stuff, as I am sick to death of getting rx's filled every month, but the neuropathy got so bad that I went back to a low dose.  Gives me some relief, and if I am planning on being on my feet for an extended period I can manage my dosing so that I get some in ahead of time and it does help. Maybe a possibility?

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Wow!

I hope it's something simple! I have a plantar wart in the heel and wear othopedic inserts that helped tremendously. Hoping it's nothing.

Lin

• Helen321
    Options
    lp1964 said:

Lear Helen,

My oncologist doesn't believe me but I think what is happening is that the chemo drugs that are designed to stay inside your DNA get released in bursts way after the chemo treatment, hence you get the symptoms. I still get the exact symptoms here and there I was having during chemo: itchy eyes with tears, tingling fingers and toes etc. 

I hope you find resolution soon.

Laz

Ha that's an interested

Ha that's an interested theory Laz and since my symtoms happen the exact same way, that would make perfect sense!  Most days I am fine and then WAM and then right back to tolerable.  Today I feel peachy, just the normal slight heel pain.

• Helen321
    Options
    ron50 said:

G'day Helen

I hope it is not a permanent thing for you. My only advice is to get it checked out early. Having said that ,it did not do me much good. I started to get bad neuropathy in conjunction with severe arthritis. I had just come off 18 months of 75mg a day prednisone for my kidneys. It took them some time to realize I was steroid resistent ,duh. My rheumatologist trialed me on lyrica , neurontin , and endep. None of them helped and lyrica was not on the phamrasuetical benefit scheme for neuropathy at that stage only epilepsy. Nearly sent me broke. Since then I have found that immuno-suppressants ramp up my neuropathy. I saw a neurologist. he did nerve conductivity tests. I had told him I had moderate to severe neuropathy in both feet and legs and I needed to know what caused it and how to treat it. He did the tests then told me I had moderate to severe peripheral neuropathy in both feet and legs . He did not know what caused it and because he did not know he would not treat me. That will be $500.00 thank you.  A***e. It has now moved to my left hand as well. Strangely I am taking targin80/40 a day . That is 80 mg oxycodone and 40 mg naloxone an opiate antagonist. I believe the naloxone is acting the same as ldn, low dose naltrexone and seems to be taking the edge off the neuropathy. Talk to your doc about LDN as it seems to be a good medication with few if any side effects. It has to be made by a compounding chemist but it may be worth a try, Hugs ron.

I may just go to a

I may just go to a naturalist.  I have no idea why this is italics!  lol  My friend said her naturalist gave her some herbs that are helpful.  I find that there are natural things to help with everything although since this is caused by a chemical, I'm not sure natural will help this time.

• Helen321
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Something is afoot

I would go to a Podiatrist for your feet. Heel pain could be an indication of Plantar Fasciitis.

Sue - Trubrit

I think it's just neurophathy

I think it's just neurophathy because it started with my chemo and it doesn't hurt all the time.  It's usually just a slight irritation and then a huge WAM and then the next day or even hours later, right back to no big deal.

• Helen321
    Options

Neuropathy sucks!

i have in in both my hands and feet, and the feet are by far the worst.  Even just sitting on the couch like I am right now I have tingling and stabbing pains (also in my heels).  It's just really uncomfortable.

Both my brother and mom have/had trouble with this, so I think I may have an underlying propensity to it, but it's def got triggered due to chemo...came on during FOLFOX and never got better.  I don't think the docs have a clue as to just how much long-lasting damage comes from our treatments.

I know it's not a solution to the problem really, but I do find hydrocodone helps.  I was going to taper all the way off that stuff, as I am sick to death of getting rx's filled every month, but the neuropathy got so bad that I went back to a low dose.  Gives me some relief, and if I am planning on being on my feet for an extended period I can manage my dosing so that I get some in ahead of time and it does help. Maybe a possibility?

I started getting seriously

I started getting seriously addicted to oxycodone so I'm staying far away from all the codones.  I have an addictive personality.

• Easyflip
    Easyflip Member Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Natural

remedies for neuropathy include L-glutamine and Cannabis oil. However with your addictive personality you may want to stay away from the cannabis : ) wink wink

Easyflip/Richard

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Easyflip said:

Natural

remedies for neuropathy include L-glutamine and Cannabis oil. However with your addictive personality you may want to stay away from the cannabis : ) wink wink

Easyflip/Richard

Maybe maybe not

Looking at Helen's avatar, I'm thinking that maybe..........

Just kidding, Helen Laughing.

Sue - Trubrit

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

I started getting seriously

I started getting seriously addicted to oxycodone so I'm staying far away from all the codones.  I have an addictive personality.

G'day Helen

Naloxone and low dose naltrexone are not problems for addiction as a matter of fact just the opposite they are pure opiod attagonists and are used for addiction withdrawel. Low dose naltrexone has been used with some success in a lot of auto- immune problems. It is shunned to a certain degree because it is one of the old drugs and all of the patents have run out on it( one of the reasons that they have to be made by a compounding pharmacist) . I was not happy on the anti-epilepsy drugs ,lyrica and neurontin. I wonder about their safety as you cannot stop them suddenly and have to be weaned off them gradually. The risk ,apparently  , is that if stopped suddenly there is a chance that they can cause a siesure. The opiates are a problem , I have had no problems with addiction after a year. The naloxone component of targin helps with that. I have even forgotten to take a dose on occassions with no effect. My major gripe with the opiates is opiate induced constipation and like craig I have suffered bad;y with this. I have to be really careful as to what I eat. I love cheese but I just am not game to eat it. Ron.

• Helen321
    Options
    Easyflip said:

Natural

Easyflip/Richard

Lol The last thing I need to

Lol The last thing I need to do is start smoking weed Richard, it would be watch out world!  lol  I'm not sure the world wants a high me in it even for medical purposes.  My oncologist thinks it's because I'm fat!  She doesn't feel this is neuropathy.  She's telling me to lose weight.  I'm 5-6 and 184 pounds.  When I was diagnosed in 2012, I was 160.  I'm stress eating and I know it, time to stop.  I hope she's right.  The only way to find out is to actually lose the weight.

• Helen321
    Options
    Trubrit said:

Maybe maybe not

Looking at Helen's avatar, I'm thinking that maybe..........

Just kidding, Helen Laughing.

Sue - Trubrit

hahaha Sue.  That's just

hahaha Sue.  That's just grandma being caught giving the baby a sugar cookie, scarily that face is perfectly sober! 

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

hahaha Sue.  That's just

hahaha Sue.  That's just grandma being caught giving the baby a sugar cookie, scarily that face is perfectly sober! 

Contact Sugar High

Is something never to dismiss Laughing

• Lorikat
    Lorikat Member Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

Lol The last thing I need to

Lol The last thing I need to do is start smoking weed Richard, it would be watch out world!  lol  I'm not sure the world wants a high me in it even for medical purposes.  My oncologist thinks it's because I'm fat!  She doesn't feel this is neuropathy.  She's telling me to lose weight.  I'm 5-6 and 184 pounds.  When I was diagnosed in 2012, I was 160.  I'm stress eating and I know it, time to stop.  I hope she's right.  The only way to find out is to actually lose the weight.

Nueropathy

ok Helen, I'm from the Anal cancer board but have the same foot problems you have!  Podiatrist says planters fasciitis for heel pain and neuropathy for burning and hurting otherwise.  boo to because of weight