Sad News- Loss of a Valued Member

Options

Comments

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    RIP

very upset to hear the passing of Pat, condolences to his wife and family. I read all his posts and although I never knew him he felt like a friend. RIP Pat.

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Thoughts and Prayers to his family

Over the  years it becomes harder to visit this site because of the fear of seeing bad news. I always try to find something humorous to say about everything unless it involves someone lossing the battle. You grow close to people you never met. You share things on here that in some instances you do not share at home because on here people understand.

RIP Pat

Jeff

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Sorrow

Words cannot express the sorrow we all feel but I am glad I knew him while he was here.

Tim     

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    Thank you

Thank you for letting us know.  Condolences to his family and friends.

I joined CSN years after my first cancer, and just before my second was diagnosed.  Pat and I emailed during my stay while I prepped for the second treatment and when I was in the hospital.

He will be missed by all.

Lorna 2007 & 2014

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    lornal said:

Thank you

Thank you for letting us know.  Condolences to his family and friends.

I joined CSN years after my first cancer, and just before my second was diagnosed.  Pat and I emailed during my stay while I prepped for the second treatment and when I was in the hospital.

He will be missed by all.

Lorna 2007 & 2014

I will miss Pat

I will miss Pat immeasurably. We became friends on this board as so many of you have personally experienced. It was easy to do with Pat. He made you feel special.  The irony was that Pat was one of the most extraordinary individuals I have ever called friend. He was beyond knowlegeble, practical and logical, loving and caring and most of all giving. His posts were insightfull, delightfull, and always very timely, often replying in the middle of the night to a terrified first timer. He took the time to provide me personally with crucial information which changed my life and helped me to progress through this disease.  We continued the relationship thru online chess. I'm still waiting for his move. What a fitting place to leave the game. He Loved the Black knights and ridiculed them from the Monty python's "BLack Knight at the Bridge" skit. What a sense of humor! I know for a fact that Pat had some level of relationship with almost all the regulars here.  He would routinely comfort any and all who needed professional advice. Consider all the energy required to maintain all of those relationships, along with his meticulous research and then his personal life responsibilities. Perhaps the most extraordinary man I have ever not physically known. He has been a Teacher to me and I will miss him.

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Saddest of news

Greg

Thank you for the news, though not what anyone wants to hear. Know Pat was very active and helped many of us over the years, myself included. God be with him.

kcass 

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Deeply saddened by the news.

I was caught by surprise; although I knew (from his recent posts) how he was struggling, I was hoping that somehow, he would beat this. I didn’t know him personally, but his posts were very knowledgeable, to the point, and extremely useful. He will be missed. RIP.

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    corleone said:

Deeply saddened by the news.

I was caught by surprise; although I knew (from his recent posts) how he was struggling, I was hoping that somehow, he would beat this. I didn’t know him personally, but his posts were very knowledgeable, to the point, and extremely useful. He will be missed. RIP.

Blindsided

Just like everyone else here at CSN, I was shocked to read this news about Pat.  Wasn't he a retired physician too?  That was why his posts were so important for us laypersons.  He would explain things in a simple manner and made many folks here feel much better about their treatment.

Rest in Peace my cyber friend,

Tom

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options

Blindsided

Just like everyone else here at CSN, I was shocked to read this news about Pat.  Wasn't he a retired physician too?  That was why his posts were so important for us laypersons.  He would explain things in a simple manner and made many folks here feel much better about their treatment.

Rest in Peace my cyber friend,

Tom

Tribute

Greg I wonder if you could get these tributes to Pats family? They may be some small comfort. I'm meeting up with a few cyber survivors in London in April. If any of you are ever in UK please let me know. Gary.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    i am surprised by this news

i am surprised by this news and so terribly saddened.  Pat was just talking w/Bev last week about her news.  Like everyone else, Pat also helped me with information and it was always when my doc wasn't available, we all know how that can wreck our nerves.  Pat was always willing to help and help us understand reports and what we did NOT need to worry about.  My prayers go out to Pat's family.  Although I never had the privilige to meet Pat, I did call him friend.  He helped me many times and that is what being a friend is about.

Thank you Pat for always making time for us, your CSN family, and for always sharing your humor, common sense, knowledge and your story with us.  You are truly one of a kind and we will all GREATLY miss you, Pat.  Our lives are better for knowing you and you've shown us how to care and give to others.  Rest in Peace Friend, until we meet in Heaven.

God bless us all.

dj

• rachel12yrsuv
    rachel12yrsuv Member Posts: 435
    Options
    Pat

I haven't posted in so long, but when Debbie Deaton told me that Pat had passed I had too!  Pat was one of the first to reach out to me as a survivor who finally needed to talk to others like me so I could adjust to Abi-Normal better.  Pat could make me laugh during Ang mood I was in!  i was unaware of his reoccurrence till informed of his passing, most certainly my loss to have not been there for him when he needed a laugh

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    RIP

So sorry to hear of Pat's passing; I know he has peace now, beyond the daily reach of the beast. 

• Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Options
    donfoo said:

RIP

So sorry to hear of Pat's passing; I know he has peace now, beyond the daily reach of the beast. 

Pat's Family

Gary,

Great idea, I will definitely pass this along to Pat's wife so that she can share with their family.  As caregivers can do, my wife and Pat's wife bonded duirng their visits.  They have become pretty good friends and keep in touch, so we will pass this thread along.

As Mr. Ratface points out, Pat's friendships on this site were numerous and sincere.  When Pat came to town we would sit and talk into the wee hours or if he was too tired at night, he would purposely get up before I did so we could have a few cups of coffee, when he was able, and talk about..........everything, including this site (even how he always let Ratface beat him at chess).  I was always amazed at how many people he knew from the site and how much respect and fondness he had for everyone.  I knew I was one of many friends he had here, but I liked to brag on him as "the smartest guy I've ever known".  Absolute truth there.  He was a modest guy and in reality he had much more accomplishments and accolades in his career as a physician and his life in general than he ever let on to most.  But he had a way to make you feel important as well.  I received an award from the university I graduated from.  Pat heard about this and made it into a big deal - which needless to say meant a heck of a lot to me.  Our mutual weird sense of humor connected us from the beginning and continued thru his last visit late last Fall.  He couldn't talk by that time, but if he thought of something funny, he'd scribble it down and have us both laughing.

Apologize for going on about this.  These should be short and sweet, but Pat was special. 

With tears in my eyes, I raise a toast to Longterm Survivor - Pat!

Positive thoughts and Good Mojo to everyone.

Greg

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Greg53 said:

Pat's Family

Gary,

Great idea, I will definitely pass this along to Pat's wife so that she can share with their family.  As caregivers can do, my wife and Pat's wife bonded duirng their visits.  They have become pretty good friends and keep in touch, so we will pass this thread along.

As Mr. Ratface points out, Pat's friendships on this site were numerous and sincere.  When Pat came to town we would sit and talk into the wee hours or if he was too tired at night, he would purposely get up before I did so we could have a few cups of coffee, when he was able, and talk about..........everything, including this site (even how he always let Ratface beat him at chess).  I was always amazed at how many people he knew from the site and how much respect and fondness he had for everyone.  I knew I was one of many friends he had here, but I liked to brag on him as "the smartest guy I've ever known".  Absolute truth there.  He was a modest guy and in reality he had much more accomplishments and accolades in his career as a physician and his life in general than he ever let on to most.  But he had a way to make you feel important as well.  I received an award from the university I graduated from.  Pat heard about this and made it into a big deal - which needless to say meant a heck of a lot to me.  Our mutual weird sense of humor connected us from the beginning and continued thru his last visit late last Fall.  He couldn't talk by that time, but if he thought of something funny, he'd scribble it down and have us both laughing.

Apologize for going on about this.  These should be short and sweet, but Pat was special. 

With tears in my eyes, I raise a toast to Longterm Survivor - Pat!

Positive thoughts and Good Mojo to everyone.

Greg

Hi Greg

Sometimes it is the memories that we can keep of our friends and love ones that mean the most to us, they will never be forgotten as long as we remember them.

Tim

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Greg

Sometimes it is the memories that we can keep of our friends and love ones that mean the most to us, they will never be forgotten as long as we remember them.

Tim

Raised a Glass

Greg, raised a glass to yer man last night. Hope his loved ones get to see all these valuable words.

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    So sad to hear of Pat's

So sad to hear of Pat's passing. I pray for the family and all on this board whom he helped get through tough times. He was a great inspiration to me and offered humor and comfort when I needed it most.

Debbie

• jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options
    RIP

Pat was a valuable source of information and inspiration when I first was diagnosed and all through my treatment.  We exchanged many emails and PM's.  He will certainly be missed.

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Pat will be missed

Pat was such a great source of knowledge and inspiration~~`I was so scared when I first heard the "C" word, his answer to my questions calmed me , his knowledge was amazing~~deepest sympathy to his family

• gdawg55
    gdawg55 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Sad News...

I'm fairly new to the board, but Pat was gracious enough to answer some questions that I had in the beginning of my diagnosis.  For that I am grateful.  My thoughts and prayers go out to Pat's family and friends.

RIP, Pat.

Greg

• Tonsil Dad
    Tonsil Dad Member Posts: 488
    Options
    SAD

I haven't posted in a long time but I do read peoples posts occasionally.

Reading that Pat has passed away really saddend me. He hepled many, many

people on this board with his knowledge and humor, he will be missed. 

My heartfelt condolenses and prayers go out to his loved ones.

God Bless,

Tonsil Dad,

Dan .