Peg???

I am having such a time with my feeding tube! I had this put in Jan 5th and since then I have gotten an infection( am on antiobotics for it) and also it leaked alot. I mean some ugly stuff was coming out of the stoma. Stomach contents. Any how yesterday they were going to change it out, but discovered instead that it only needed air which they did and sent me home. Th edr said that for a few days it would probably leak. Well, yes, it still leaks, not to the extent that it was before, but leak it does. I hear and feel a air bubble just before I know that it is going to errupt. Has anyone had problems such as this.

«1

Comments

  • Sailor123
    Sailor123 Member Posts: 97
    Thats awful.  I didn't have

    Thats awful.  I didn't have any problems of that nature.  Do you think it was installed properly?

  • sharon 1
    sharon 1 Member Posts: 50
    Sailor123 said:

    Thats awful.  I didn't have

    Thats awful.  I didn't have any problems of that nature.  Do you think it was installed properly?

    Peg

    It seems like whenever I get up from the chair or couch it erupts. When I was in the hospital yesterday to get it fixed they gave me this ointment to put on to stop the acid burns, but Ive had enough. Tonite is just as bad almost as before the re-aired it. Im going to go back in the morning and have it looked at again. I wonder if been constipated has anything to do with it. I took an enema today and it relieved that problem, but I dont know- IVE HAD ENOUGH

  • Sailor123
    Sailor123 Member Posts: 97
    sharon 1 said:

    Peg

    It seems like whenever I get up from the chair or couch it erupts. When I was in the hospital yesterday to get it fixed they gave me this ointment to put on to stop the acid burns, but Ive had enough. Tonite is just as bad almost as before the re-aired it. Im going to go back in the morning and have it looked at again. I wonder if been constipated has anything to do with it. I took an enema today and it relieved that problem, but I dont know- IVE HAD ENOUGH

    I'm so sorry your having this

    I'm so sorry your having this problem.  Its bad enough dealing with the treatment.  Keep in mind you can put prune juice in your tube.  It does the job and is easy on your system.

     

  • debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    sharon 1 said:

    Peg

    It seems like whenever I get up from the chair or couch it erupts. When I was in the hospital yesterday to get it fixed they gave me this ointment to put on to stop the acid burns, but Ive had enough. Tonite is just as bad almost as before the re-aired it. Im going to go back in the morning and have it looked at again. I wonder if been constipated has anything to do with it. I took an enema today and it relieved that problem, but I dont know- IVE HAD ENOUGH

    sharon1, i'm sorry you're

    sharon1, i'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your peg.  others have had the same problem.  it doesn't seem like the docs would have such problems putting it in right.  i am praying for a solution for you.  i understand enough is enough but you must keep going forward.  i am praying they get it fixed when you go back.

    God bless you,

    dj

  • sharon 1
    sharon 1 Member Posts: 50
    Sailor123 said:

    I'm so sorry your having this

    I'm so sorry your having this problem.  Its bad enough dealing with the treatment.  Keep in mind you can put prune juice in your tube.  It does the job and is easy on your system.

     

    Peg?

    I havnt even used this to feed yet. I am afraid to move my stomach muscles just to get up and about without all that oozing. It is now 10:17 ad I am alreafy going to do my 2nd cleaning.

  • donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    sorry to hear

    I'm really sorry to hear your issues with a PEG that you are not even requiring. I hope they get it sorted out for your sake. This is a perfect example the pro PEGers always forget to mention about just get one put in rather than wait until the need is clear. I'm sure it will get fixed soon.

  • MJ70
    MJ70 Member Posts: 75
    leaking PEG

    Sharon:  Sorry to hear of you Peg causing you so much trouble...I have a Mickey Button and it never leaks as you say yousr does...I do change the two by two split dressing every day of so...I am told i will be on this for the rest of my life.  I an getting tired of the formula which i use frm comed..finally got the cans that are 500 calories per can and use 7 per day... You might ask them about teh mickey button..very low profile and even hard to notice  as it is about the size of a quarter  

     

    good lick

     

     

                    

  • sharon 1
    sharon 1 Member Posts: 50
    MJ70 said:

    leaking PEG

    Sharon:  Sorry to hear of you Peg causing you so much trouble...I have a Mickey Button and it never leaks as you say yousr does...I do change the two by two split dressing every day of so...I am told i will be on this for the rest of my life.  I an getting tired of the formula which i use frm comed..finally got the cans that are 500 calories per can and use 7 per day... You might ask them about teh mickey button..very low profile and even hard to notice  as it is about the size of a quarter  

     

    good lick

     

     

                    

    Peg

    Thanks MJ70 I cant see the drsuntil Tuesday because of the holiday, but I will bring it up. Something has to be done. God Bless my husband for all of these changing of bandages.!

  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    MJ70 said:

    leaking PEG

    Sharon:  Sorry to hear of you Peg causing you so much trouble...I have a Mickey Button and it never leaks as you say yousr does...I do change the two by two split dressing every day of so...I am told i will be on this for the rest of my life.  I an getting tired of the formula which i use frm comed..finally got the cans that are 500 calories per can and use 7 per day... You might ask them about teh mickey button..very low profile and even hard to notice  as it is about the size of a quarter  

     

    good lick

     

     

                    

    Mic-key Button

    I have to agree the best PEG tube I ever had is the Mic-Key Low profile Button. To this day it does not leak and I have not got any infections. It is a lot better than walking around with some big tube sticking out of your belly, and people in Wal-Mart thinking you are steeling something and trying to hide it under your shirt.

    Hondo

  • thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    Hondo said:

    Mic-key Button

    I have to agree the best PEG tube I ever had is the Mic-Key Low profile Button. To this day it does not leak and I have not got any infections. It is a lot better than walking around with some big tube sticking out of your belly, and people in Wal-Mart thinking you are steeling something and trying to hide it under your shirt.

    Hondo

    I was lucky enough to not

    I was lucky enough to not have to much trouble except for some slight leaking.But my surgen told if at anytime I did not to go the ER .He said most aren't sure about them and also not to go if I have problems with my tach tube.He said to call his office and they would move up to see him right away.

  • sharon 1
    sharon 1 Member Posts: 50
    Spent the last 4 hrs at er

    Well, since its a holiday, everything having to do with cancer is closed until tomorrow. My stomach was and is so sore from all the leakage burning into my skin that I went to see if I could get any relief. The er dr called ir dr on call and the ir dr said that he would see me tomorrow(guess he didnt want to come in). Needless to say I did get relief in a product called cavilon no sting barrier film which you put over your skin after cleaning to protect it from damage. Guess there is nothing else to do until holiday is over.

  • lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    sharon 1 said:

    Spent the last 4 hrs at er

    Well, since its a holiday, everything having to do with cancer is closed until tomorrow. My stomach was and is so sore from all the leakage burning into my skin that I went to see if I could get any relief. The er dr called ir dr on call and the ir dr said that he would see me tomorrow(guess he didnt want to come in). Needless to say I did get relief in a product called cavilon no sting barrier film which you put over your skin after cleaning to protect it from damage. Guess there is nothing else to do until holiday is over.

    ointment

    I had the most luck with the product called Calmoseptine. 

    It is basically a diaper rash medicine - for adults - It has menthol in it.  I had a lot of leaking and burning skin also.  It was recommended to me by the wound care nurse.  It even has on the package about using for feeding tube sites.

    I found it at my Healthmart pharmacy.  CVS didn't know what it was, and Walgreens I try to avoid.

    In the 6 months I had a tube, I used it for 4 and half.  I think the tube was replaced 5 times.  We never could get it to fit right.  And, when it was finally removed, it wouldn't heal - and the GI doctor had to go in and clamp it from the inside. 

    The low profile tube he wouldn't give me, because I was losing weight.  You need to be able to maintain your weight for that kind because he said you couldn't adjust the fit.

    Good luck with it, and hope you get comfortable soon.

    Lorna 2007 & 2014

  • wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    sharon 1 said:

    Spent the last 4 hrs at er

    Well, since its a holiday, everything having to do with cancer is closed until tomorrow. My stomach was and is so sore from all the leakage burning into my skin that I went to see if I could get any relief. The er dr called ir dr on call and the ir dr said that he would see me tomorrow(guess he didnt want to come in). Needless to say I did get relief in a product called cavilon no sting barrier film which you put over your skin after cleaning to protect it from damage. Guess there is nothing else to do until holiday is over.

    So sorry to hear that...

    So sorry you are going through this. I never had a PEG so the only advice I can give is don't put anything in that will cause you to make more acid. No milk products, maybe only chicken broth and water for now. I have used the Cavilon for my neck stoma and it does work so I hope it will get you through until tomorrow. Will add some more prayers.

    Bill

  • Thomas1950
    Thomas1950 Member Posts: 3
    peg

    hi iv had a peg for just over 10 years now, changed every 3 years or so, it did leak for a bit the last 1 i had put in , so i put anti cream in the hole got some  Mepore 7x8 off of doc cut it half way,for peg, in the middle and then put aroundpeg, nothing then leaked out and it heal up in a couple of weeks and ok now. Tom

  • sharon 1
    sharon 1 Member Posts: 50
    wmc said:

    So sorry to hear that...

    So sorry you are going through this. I never had a PEG so the only advice I can give is don't put anything in that will cause you to make more acid. No milk products, maybe only chicken broth and water for now. I have used the Cavilon for my neck stoma and it does work so I hope it will get you through until tomorrow. Will add some more prayers.

    Bill

    Im ok

    Thank You Bill! You are always so encouraging. Couldnt get thru this without you all.

  • Kritter
    Kritter Member Posts: 147
    I feel your pain..
    Do I know what you are talking about and going through right now. If you can read some of my posts.. under Kritter. I have the PEG as well and nothing but trouble with it since last September when they put it in.

     

    I have been in the hospital the last three days due to dehydration, stomach infection...from my Peg tube. I developed Gastroparesis,,, I really hope they can get yours under control soon!!....Have you tried cutting a square bandage and placing it around the tube? I ended up using Desitin...for babies around mine. Using nothing now just constantly cleaning it.

     

    I know first hand how bad that stomach acid is coming out burning you. I wish I could help more, I know the desitin worked for me but everyone is different.

     

     

    Tips I have learned.. no sodas, no coffee, nothing acidic, that is what is working for me. Also cutting the boost, ensure or what ever in half with water, helps me. I hope some of this might help you get better. Hugs and Prayers .. Kritter
  • sharon 1
    sharon 1 Member Posts: 50
    lornal said:

    ointment

    I had the most luck with the product called Calmoseptine. 

    It is basically a diaper rash medicine - for adults - It has menthol in it.  I had a lot of leaking and burning skin also.  It was recommended to me by the wound care nurse.  It even has on the package about using for feeding tube sites.

    I found it at my Healthmart pharmacy.  CVS didn't know what it was, and Walgreens I try to avoid.

    In the 6 months I had a tube, I used it for 4 and half.  I think the tube was replaced 5 times.  We never could get it to fit right.  And, when it was finally removed, it wouldn't heal - and the GI doctor had to go in and clamp it from the inside. 

    The low profile tube he wouldn't give me, because I was losing weight.  You need to be able to maintain your weight for that kind because he said you couldn't adjust the fit.

    Good luck with it, and hope you get comfortable soon.

    Lorna 2007 & 2014

    Calmoseptine

    I had my husband buy some Calmoseptine I will let you know how it works out. Any tips on how much to use and remember of course that the stoma is NEVER really dry. Does it have to be or can it be a bit damp when applying. I went on the internet for reviews and all of them seemed outstanding so heres hoping this works for be. God Bless you and thank you- Sharon

  • jrmull88
    jrmull88 Member Posts: 2
    Kritter said:

    I feel your pain..

    Do I know what you are talking about and going through right now. If you can read some of my posts.. under Kritter. I have the PEG as well and nothing but trouble with it since last September when they put it in.

     

    I have been in the hospital the last three days due to dehydration, stomach infection...from my Peg tube. I developed Gastroparesis,,, I really hope they can get yours under control soon!!....Have you tried cutting a square bandage and placing it around the tube? I ended up using Desitin...for babies around mine. Using nothing now just constantly cleaning it.

     

    I know first hand how bad that stomach acid is coming out burning you. I wish I could help more, I know the desitin worked for me but everyone is different.

     

     

    Tips I have learned.. no sodas, no coffee, nothing acidic, that is what is working for me. Also cutting the boost, ensure or what ever in half with water, helps me. I hope some of this might help you get better. Hugs and Prayers .. Kritter
    PEG

    I'm really new to this, but I'm trying to learn. I had a Peg tube inserted Jan. 15, I got the stitches out today. As of now I've had no troubles, leakage. As in Sharon's case, I'm not using mine for feeding yet. So when you say no coffee, nothing acidic I'm confused. I'm not trying to catch any one at saying something wrong, Im honestly wanting to learn. If drinking coffee or anything acidic is something that could leak out around my tube,then I would cut back. It makes sense. But then in your next sentence you mentioned cutting the boost or ensure with water. But Sharon mentioned she's not using the tube for feeding yet. Again, i'm not trying to sound harsh. I haven't started any treatments yet, I won't until Feb. 3, when I start both radiation & Chemo. Until then, I'm eating ok. I'm just wondering is this acidic problem something that may arise if my tube mal-functions, and whether I'm using it for feeding or not? I already went through prostate cancer about a year and a half ago. But this is a whole different beast. I never had surgery of any kind before and this tube is scary. I really feel for Sharon and all the others who not only have to face cancer, but also these other problems. God Bless.    

  • sharon 1
    sharon 1 Member Posts: 50
    jrmull88 said:

    PEG

    I'm really new to this, but I'm trying to learn. I had a Peg tube inserted Jan. 15, I got the stitches out today. As of now I've had no troubles, leakage. As in Sharon's case, I'm not using mine for feeding yet. So when you say no coffee, nothing acidic I'm confused. I'm not trying to catch any one at saying something wrong, Im honestly wanting to learn. If drinking coffee or anything acidic is something that could leak out around my tube,then I would cut back. It makes sense. But then in your next sentence you mentioned cutting the boost or ensure with water. But Sharon mentioned she's not using the tube for feeding yet. Again, i'm not trying to sound harsh. I haven't started any treatments yet, I won't until Feb. 3, when I start both radiation & Chemo. Until then, I'm eating ok. I'm just wondering is this acidic problem something that may arise if my tube mal-functions, and whether I'm using it for feeding or not? I already went through prostate cancer about a year and a half ago. But this is a whole different beast. I never had surgery of any kind before and this tube is scary. I really feel for Sharon and all the others who not only have to face cancer, but also these other problems. God Bless.    

    Peg

    Jrmull88-Hi. I still havnt used my peg yet and I am halfway thru radiation and 2 more chemos to go. Just wanted to mention to you that the reason I leaked so much is that the tube was too small and they had to replace it FINALLY. Anyhow since then I have had almost zero leakage. Today I spoke with a swollow tech and she told me that its best not to use it until and if you really need it for nutrition because you need to keep your swollowing reflexes working. She did mention coffee and acidic drinks, but since I dont drink hardly any, I didnt pay as much attention as I should.  I agree with you this tube is intimaditing, but the good thing is that it is there for us if we need it. What kind of cancer are you being treated for? I am so happy that you have found this site because there are so many caring and helpful people more than willing to help here. God Bless you my dear. We are in this fight togather.

  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Sharon....Kritter has....

    an entirely different problem than what you are experiencing.  She's avoiding acidic things, and cutting her Ensure because her tummy can't seem to handle what goes into it.....you're have a leakage problem.....and stomach acid does burn skin...it's hard-core acid.  It seems when someone has a problem with their tube, it's never a small thing.  I didn't have any problems so I don't have any advice.  As for feeding through it, I didn't use mine until radiation was over (even tho they put it in before I started rads).....

    I'd be insisting they fix it the first pop you get into see the Dr.  They can be stitched, and sometimes that helps....or they need to put in a new one....who's to say the one you have isn't defective in some way. 

    p