new to this afraid of chemo

Winnie63
Winnie63 Member Posts: 6

I was diagnosed with early stage 2a invasive ductal cancer.  I had a bilateral mastectomy with expanders put in two weeks ago.  my surgeon said they got all the tumor it wasn"t attached to anything and the margins were clear.  2 of the lympth nodes were clear but one had a micro milimeter cell that was enclosed and taken out.  now I have to see an onconolgost to see what the test on the tumor showed.  the recepter were both positive and the 3rd negative.  i am scared that I might have to have chemo.It would be right at christmas time and wondering how bad it will be if I have to have it.  the surgeon said I wouldnt need radiation or more surgery.

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Don't be afraid

I don't think it sounds like you need one of the toughest chemo drugs, if indeed you will need any. Chemo isn't as bad as it was in the old days and there are many drugs to help with the side effects like nausea. There's really no point in worrying about something that may not happen. My advice to you is to plan a low key Christmas. You have just had surgery so someone else should do the more difficult decorating/baking tasks. Ask lots of questions from the doctor and don't hesitate to ask for help. Keep us posted with your progress. Hugs, Anna

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    I agree.

I agree.

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    positive receptors

The positive receptors mean you'll probably be started on an estrogen blocking type of drug eventually. The test the oncologist is waiting for could be the oncotype test, score 10 or under indicates chemo not needed, score 30 and above means chemo needed, scores in the middle you and onc will decide what's best for you.

My onco score was 27 and I did chemo this summer, had no problems with nausea or vomiting thanks to the good meds they give prior to chemo now. I did get very weak, totally agree with previous responses - don't waste energy worrying about chemo when you don't know if you'll even need it, and plan a low key Christmas in case you do.

• Pixie Dust
    Pixie Dust Member Posts: 424 Member
    Its natural to be afraid

All of us here has been afraid one time or another. Do not worry about Christmas. You have to take care of yourself first. If you have to have chemo it is more important than Christmas. Chemo has come along way in years. They give you so much different meds in your IV fluids before you begin your chemo to keep you from getting sick and also for you to take before and after chemo. Different people reacts different to chemo though. You have all execellent advice from all above. Puffin, who gave you advice is also a nurse and she gives great advice to all people.  (HUGS)  pixie

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I have no advice-I had two

I have no advice-I had two lumpectomies-radaition-NO chemo...

pixie dust heading  your way

Denise

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Sounds Like

Hi Winnie,

It sounds like you were a lucky lady and caught it early.  I know you are fearful but today chemo is not like it was many years ago.   Fear can be a deadly thing...I  just had to decide that I could not live with it....and have been able to deal with things a lot better by letting go of it.   Don't worry about things you can't control ....take things day by day ...you will find you are able to handle a lot more than you ever thought possible.  All the ladies have given you very good advice about not worrying about Christmas.........let somebody else worry about it......you worry about YOU.  Waiting is the pits....anxiety is a bad thing though..........treat yourself to whatever helps you to relax and please let us know when you get your results.   Love and Prayers.

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    you are right, Chemo is scary!
    I remember being scared too. Once I started it I felt like "I" was doing something to stop it from spreading. I wasnt easy by any means but I am still here.
    I first was dx'd 12 1/2 years ago. Then it was worse. the nausea meds were not as good. DX w/mets 2010, started chemo in 2011, I did a little feet dragging, remembered how sick I was the first time. But now they did the anti-meds in iv prior to chemo. So much better than the first time. I was on weekly chemo for 2 1/2 years. Not fun, but doable, and I am still here!
    I wish you the best. Before you know it , you will be done! If you are having a rough time, come to this site and rant or ask questions, we have all been there and do understand. This whole cancer journey is scary.
    Hugs,
    Carol
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    camul said:

you are right, Chemo is scary!
    I remember being scared too. Once I started it I felt like "I" was doing something to stop it from spreading. I wasnt easy by any means but I am still here.
    I first was dx'd 12 1/2 years ago. Then it was worse. the nausea meds were not as good. DX w/mets 2010, started chemo in 2011, I did a little feet dragging, remembered how sick I was the first time. But now they did the anti-meds in iv prior to chemo. So much better than the first time. I was on weekly chemo for 2 1/2 years. Not fun, but doable, and I am still here!
    I wish you the best. Before you know it , you will be done! If you are having a rough time, come to this site and rant or ask questions, we have all been there and do understand. This whole cancer journey is scary.
    Hugs,
    Carol

Gentle hugs, and prayers ...

Cancer sucks,   chemo is scary, but the alternative scares me a little more.  Just my humble opinion.

If chemo therapy is needed - please find out what cocktail of chemo drugs you will be on - ask your Oncologist for a list of possible side efforts - Also, ask to see the chemo infusion rooms - chat with chemo RN and staff  - maybe seeing what you are possibly in for will help with some of your uncertainities.

Honesty, is the best policy when finding out about chemo.   I have been there,  done THAT and survived.

Please update us when possible - there are many Chemo Queens here on our Board that can offer you positive idea's on dealing many side efforts associated with chemo therapy.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

• tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Chemo ?

I would never have had chemo, if I knew then what I do now.  The side effects are horrible and life is not worth living afterwards................ It does NOT get rid of cancer, it just makes your life HELL...... Huvgs Hun, just not worth doing.  \i did it all now I am stage 4

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116

positive receptors

The positive receptors mean you'll probably be started on an estrogen blocking type of drug eventually. The test the oncologist is waiting for could be the oncotype test, score 10 or under indicates chemo not needed, score 30 and above means chemo needed, scores in the middle you and onc will decide what's best for you.

My onco score was 27 and I did chemo this summer, had no problems with nausea or vomiting thanks to the good meds they give prior to chemo now. I did get very weak, totally agree with previous responses - don't waste energy worrying about chemo when you don't know if you'll even need it, and plan a low key Christmas in case you do.

bonbondidit

Hi Puffin,

Can you tell me what anti-nausea meds you received? I had A/C for the first 4 rounds once every two weeks and now on Taxol. I did have nausea with mine and I did the anti-nausea pills afterwards.

• MaggieCat
    MaggieCat Member Posts: 54
    tasha_111 said:

Chemo ?

I would never have had chemo, if I knew then what I do now.  The side effects are horrible and life is not worth living afterwards................ It does NOT get rid of cancer, it just makes your life HELL...... Huvgs Hun, just not worth doing.  \i did it all now I am stage 4

How to Tell....

Tasha's questioning Chemo. I was captive last week and heard much the same....  Going in for my lumpectomy and the OR prep nurse was a BC survivor. Oh and I got an ear full of the after effects of chemo choices ....... and her story and choices she would NOT make again. I'm getting prepped and NO where to go!  I appreciate her honesty.. not sure about "our journeys".

Yep, we are all different... got the stanza down pat!  WTF do you do to get off square one?

• Lisa Ann
    Lisa Ann Member Posts: 1
    chemo

speaking from experience from chemo - please avoid any form of "taxol"  if it's possible.  my treatments with it left ne with two degenerative blood diseases.  if you would like more info on my experience let me know

• MaggieCat
    MaggieCat Member Posts: 54
    Lisa Ann said:

chemo

speaking from experience from chemo - please avoid any form of "taxol"  if it's possible.  my treatments with it left ne with two degenerative blood diseases.  if you would like more info on my experience let me know

Taxol - Please Share Your Experience

I would appreciate any insight into your journey with Taxol (Lisa Ann and others). 

I mentioned (above) being in the surgery prep room with my pre-op nurse.  Taxol WAS the treatment she lobbied against due to significant side effects that never went away. 

My BS was very serious with me about the chemo decision.  She said it will be a tough call.  ( 1.2 cm, node negative, aggressive).... Hoping MD Anderson will have something to offer that doesn't include taxane/Taxol.  I'm hormone negative, so no help from that set of drug treatments.

Plane tickets bought, hotel room booked.  First time in Texas!

• Puffin2014

bonbondidit

Hi Puffin,

Can you tell me what anti-nausea meds you received? I had A/C for the first 4 rounds once every two weeks and now on Taxol. I did have nausea with mine and I did the anti-nausea pills afterwards.

anti nausea meds

Bonbon, the IV pre meds I got were aloxi, dexamethasone, benadryl, zantac and emend. Emend is also available as a pill afterwards but I didn't need it.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    MaggieCat said:

I would appreciate any insight into your journey with Taxol (Lisa Ann and others). 

I mentioned (above) being in the surgery prep room with my pre-op nurse.  Taxol WAS the treatment she lobbied against due to significant side effects that never went away. 

My BS was very serious with me about the chemo decision.  She said it will be a tough call.  ( 1.2 cm, node negative, aggressive).... Hoping MD Anderson will have something to offer that doesn't include taxane/Taxol.  I'm hormone negative, so no help from that set of drug treatments.

Chemo and Taxol

Maggie....I had 19 lymph nodes taken and 6 had cancer so I had no choice but to do chemo.  That was in 2002....and my first Oncologist wanted to give me Taxol which was new and a very powerful drug.....but I decided to get a different Onc ...because I went with my Gut Feeling about that First One.     My Second Oncologist really talked with me and listened and offered me several choices....and when I asked him about the Taxol he said that we could always use it later if needed......  I chose a standard FAC  (5FU/Adriamycin/Cytoxin) ....had 6 chemo treatments three weeks apart with a few hiccups....but nothing I couldn't handle.......then 33 or so Radiation Zaps.....  I am Triple Negative IDBC Stage 3A....and AM STILL HERE.        Texas is a wonderful State...but it will be COLD there today I bet.   Hugs and Prayers for a good Consult**  Glo

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    GlowMore said:

Chemo and Taxol

Maggie....I had 19 lymph nodes taken and 6 had cancer so I had no choice but to do chemo.  That was in 2002....and my first Oncologist wanted to give me Taxol which was new and a very powerful drug.....but I decided to get a different Onc ...because I went with my Gut Feeling about that First One.     My Second Oncologist really talked with me and listened and offered me several choices....and when I asked him about the Taxol he said that we could always use it later if needed......  I chose a standard FAC  (5FU/Adriamycin/Cytoxin) ....had 6 chemo treatments three weeks apart with a few hiccups....but nothing I couldn't handle.......then 33 or so Radiation Zaps.....  I am Triple Negative IDBC Stage 3A....and AM STILL HERE.        Texas is a wonderful State...but it will be COLD there today I bet.   Hugs and Prayers for a good Consult**  Glo

If your oncologist thinks you

If your oncologist thinks you need to have chemo I hope you can trust in him/her to guide you through the treatment.   There's nothing to fear about chemo except fear itself.  Everyone handles chemo differently.   The chemo I had could affect you differently than it did me.   The one thing I do know is that chemo saved my life.   I too was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma.  Mine was not caught as early as yours and had spread to my lymph nodes.  I had to have chemo before I could ever have surgery - just to shrink my 8.5cm tumor to insure they could get it all.  I continued working full time throughout my treatment, missing very little work.   Sure there were times I was achy, sick or just plain tired but I knew that the chemo was doing what I needed it to do.  

Please keep us posted

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    MaggieCat said:

Taxol

Taxol for me was very easy. Too easy it made me wonder if it was even working? My hair started growing back during  the treatment. AC kicked me hard though.

Everyone is different. I remember my Onco telling me the people who had a hard time with taxol are older people because of the bones. It causes bone pains.

Good luck!!

Rebecca

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Dx at 32, same report as yours!

I was also dx with invasive ductal carcinoma at stage 2a, Estrogen and Progesterone +, HER2 was neg. My nodes were clear too. My grade was 3 with lymph-vascular invasion. I did get chemo, radiation and lumpectomy.

I was super scared of the chemo, even more than the actual cancer. I think most people are. I saw members of my family go through hell with it, but this was years ago. So I was scared I was going to experience the same. Have you heard of this quote: "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have." Well it's so true! When you want to live, you fight. In my case I wanted to do everything I could possibly do at the time so I wouldn't look back and say "I wish I did this...differently.." True there is no guarantee cancer won't come back, but if it ever does for me, I can say I did all I could to prevent it. Sometimes that's how life goes, and it's OK too. I have no regrets about taking the chemo. I would do it all over again.

I say you listen to the recommendations the Drs. give you. Ask for a day or two to think. You can come back to us to share and we will support you. Ultimately, you make the final decision. What helped me make mine was picturing myself 5 years later with cancer again and asking myself, did I do everything I could? That made it easier for me.

Oh! BTW, chemo was not as bad as I thought. I took ACT. AC was harder after each treatments, but I only got 4. Taxol was very easy for me. There are drugs to help with side effects. And we have tons of tips for you on how to prevent some of them. We are here together!

Remember: You will do GREAT, no matter what.

XOXO

Rebecca

• taysho
    taysho Member Posts: 19
    I know how you feel!

I'm right here with you, essentially same diagnosis.I had my bilateral mastectomy 11-19, and I had my port placed during surgery because the Onc. Already said I needed to do chemo because the cancer was such a high grade and very aggressive. I made it through surgery and I'm doing wonderful, only 9 days out from surgery, already off pain meds, back to driving, brushing my hair dressing myself, all the things people said I wouldn't be able to do. I am slislightmore worried about chemo, but I am hopeful if I keep focusing on the positive aspescts that I will make it through with flying colors! Just keep your head up and all will work out, it may not go the way you had planned, but hell I didn't expect to have cancer at age 27 either :) good luck!

• Puffin2014
    taysho said:

I know how you feel!

I'm right here with you, essentially same diagnosis.I had my bilateral mastectomy 11-19, and I had my port placed during surgery because the Onc. Already said I needed to do chemo because the cancer was such a high grade and very aggressive. I made it through surgery and I'm doing wonderful, only 9 days out from surgery, already off pain meds, back to driving, brushing my hair dressing myself, all the things people said I wouldn't be able to do. I am slislightmore worried about chemo, but I am hopeful if I keep focusing on the positive aspescts that I will make it through with flying colors! Just keep your head up and all will work out, it may not go the way you had planned, but hell I didn't expect to have cancer at age 27 either :) good luck!

good to hear from you Taysho

Good to hear you're doing so well after your surgery Taysho. Keep up that positive attitude, it really does help. When do you start chemo? Stay in close touch with your MO during chemo & tell about any SE, get on top of them early.