Halfway through Chemo and Radiation

Options
2»

Comments

• Super-b
    Super-b Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hydration

for me I was on the displaying and I was not getting enough hydration. As a result I ended up my kidneys shutting down and ended up in hospital with iv fluid infusion for over a week. a bag of fluid every 4 hours = bathroom breaks every hour or so.

so force yourself to drink drink drink

Bill

• HobbsDoggy
    HobbsDoggy Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Fluids

Sounds like you are doing OK, I know its strange to say OK given how you feel and the beating your body is taking, but to me you are holding up well.  Keeping strong is half the battle and keeps cancer headed out the door.  I only went for fluids twice between chemo treatments.  I think it would have helped if I went more often, but I tended to fight going there unless I had to and may have been a mistake.  I was able to eat until the last two weeks of treatment.  I went from eating almost directly to Insure and some feeding tube Insure.  For a week I thought this is not worth it, it was worth every minute and was the right decision.  Keep up your strength.

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Halfway

Halfway is great! No one misses those daily trips. Lots of us are sporting shorter haircuts these days. My new "do" was inspired after the plumber had to unclog the hair out of our sink. They told me the hair in the radiation field would not come back, but happily, it is.

Chemo day was always the day I got lots of chores done because the steroid used with Erbitux gave me a nice energy boost. The rest of the days, well, ugh. My husband got so used to being my chauffeur that six months after treatment, he still drives me everywhere.

It's good you are able to drink as much as you are. A few weeks after finishing treatment I went to the pharmacy where they happened to be handing out samples of Ensure. Uh, no, had enough, no thank you! You might try blending or juicing for some variety. There are people on this site who made it through therapy without any bottled nutrition. Eventually you will be able to add new foods to your menu. I did get fluids several times even after treatment was finished and it always made me feel better. 

You sound like you are doing really well. Hang in there. The days are long now, but in a few months you be amazed at how fast the time flew.