Halfway through Chemo and Radiation

Options

I'm almost halfway through weekly chemo and daily radiation.  My hair was coming out in fistfuls so I cut it short, very good decision.

Chemo day is the only day I feel okay.  I got half a dose of Dekadron today and no Ativan and felt great when I left.  Now I'll decline from now until next Thursday and have to have a driver because of extreme fatigue. No I am unable to eat BUT am gettting 4-5 bottles Ensure down daily.  My weight stayed the same this week.

How many of you went in for fluids between Cisplatan treatment days?

If I've got another post going somewhere with the same question please forgive my "chemo brain"......lol

Thank you for all,

Michelle

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    on the downhill side

Shell,

You sound like you are doing well.  Keep it up!

Hydration is a key component to successful treatment.   Some slide a little and have to go in for a fill up.

Continued luck.

Matt

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    You're in the back stretch and going good...

Way to go, half way there, and your picture is even streight now. Keep  up the good work and spirits...........

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Whoo Hoo!!

The half-way mark was a huge milestone day for me.....you go girl!

I got hydrated every single day during radiation because I was getting Amifostine daily to protect my saliva glands.....first stop was the Oncologist, next rads.....then home.  I'm sure it made radiation easier for me.  So.....anytime you're feeling like a little hydration would do you well, just go let them fill you up....you'll never get over-hydrated Smile

Good for you on your weight!!

p

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Half way

Wow you sound like you are doing great with the treatment, keep up the good work and keep your focus on the finish line up ahead around the next bend. We will all be there waiting for you to cross over.

Tim Hondo

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    only three things..

Sounds like you are cruising right along, keep it up. There are only three things that matter during treatment. You check these off each day and you will have the fewest issues:

HYDRATION -- NUTRITION -- PAIN MANAGEMENT

That is all there is to it! Hang in there.

• yensid683
    yensid683 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Hooked up constantly

I had Cisplatin during my first induction chemo session and I made one of the biggest mistakes that I could have, I didn't drink.  Not just drink enough, no - drink at all.  I never felt so sick but also didn't realize that the extra hydration would have helped me feel better.  Induction chemo made some kidney changes for me so I was constantly getting extra hydration at my weekly chemo sessions during radiation.  In retrospect, I should have done more bottles of water i could have saved time at the infusion center!  I didn't have extra hydration session during radiation, but I sure did in the weeks between induction and the start of rads

Hydration is important, it flushes the by products of chemo (metabolized medications and dead cells) out of the system.  Drink or use the tube, it would have made my experience a little easier

Peter

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    yensid683 said:

Hooked up constantly

I had Cisplatin during my first induction chemo session and I made one of the biggest mistakes that I could have, I didn't drink.  Not just drink enough, no - drink at all.  I never felt so sick but also didn't realize that the extra hydration would have helped me feel better.  Induction chemo made some kidney changes for me so I was constantly getting extra hydration at my weekly chemo sessions during radiation.  In retrospect, I should have done more bottles of water i could have saved time at the infusion center!  I didn't have extra hydration session during radiation, but I sure did in the weeks between induction and the start of rads

Hydration is important, it flushes the by products of chemo (metabolized medications and dead cells) out of the system.  Drink or use the tube, it would have made my experience a little easier

Peter

drinking

I didn't drink either, and then it started to hurt from the radiation.

After the 2nd chemo, I was getting IV fluids just about every day.

I didn't have tube, and I didn't have a port.  Ughhh.

Drink Drink Drink!

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    lornal said:

drinking

I didn't drink either, and then it started to hurt from the radiation.

After the 2nd chemo, I was getting IV fluids just about every day.

I didn't have tube, and I didn't have a port.  Ughhh.

Drink Drink Drink!

Ensure

If you arent already doing ensure plus consider it...350 calories vs 220 for regular ensure

• phrannie51
    Options
    hwt said:

Ensure

If you arent already doing ensure plus consider it...350 calories vs 220 for regular ensure

....or....

Boost VHC.....530 calories in those 8 little ounces.....

p

• Shell_7801
    Shell_7801 Member Posts: 71
    Options

....or....

Boost VHC.....530 calories in those 8 little ounces.....

p

8 little ounces

Those 8 little ounces seem like gallons.  

M

• phrannie51
    Options

8 little ounces

Those 8 little ounces seem like gallons.  

M

I know they do....

that's why for me.....I chose to get the most bang for my buck Smile.  I also started drinking lots of 4% milk at about the half way mark....for some reason I could taste it better than other things....plus it gave me the illusion of having saliva for longer than a few seconds like water.  I was putting down a gallon every two days.  Nutrition and hydration in one semi-pleasant gulp.

p

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Options
    Love your picture

and it sounds like you are doing great!!  :)  Congrats...halfway is a HUGE deal!!!

• hrowe
    hrowe Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Got really dehydrated on some weeks

Finished 35 rads (6 per week) and 1/wk of Cisplatin June 12, 2012. As I recall, I went to the infusion room on off chemo days maybe 4 or 5 times to get a 1000ml bag of Sodium Cloride to get rehydrated. Felt really good after the bag finished. I tried to slug down 3 - 4 Kroger brand high calorie version of Ensure per day but still Lost 40 pounds during treatment. Gained it all back!

It's tough but you'll make it through!

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Michelle, the hairdo looks

Michelle, the hairdo looks great!  good choice.  congrats on being half way!!  you will see the light at the end of the tunnel very soon.  you go girl!!

dj

• Sailor123
    Sailor123 Member Posts: 97
    Options
    Hi M:

I went in for

Hi M:

I went in for hydration twice a week through the entire process.  I think its a good idea to get as much as you can.  Do you not have a PEG tube?  I'm happy your half way through treatment. That is a milestone.  You can do it!

S

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Sailor123 said:

Hi M:

I went in for

Hi M:

I went in for hydration twice a week through the entire process.  I think its a good idea to get as much as you can.  Do you not have a PEG tube?  I'm happy your half way through treatment. That is a milestone.  You can do it!

S

Hi Sailor

Just want to welcome you to CSN H&N and was wondering if you were in fact a sailor. I worked as Chief Engineer on a lot of Vessels before taking a shore side job; just miss the spray of sea water in my face.

Tim Hondo

• newti
    newti Member Posts: 3
    Options
    halfway through too

We had our second chemo on Monday and, because my husbands lab results were good, we were told that he'd not have to have a third chemo (the one on Monday was the maximum 100 mg)   We opted to get hydrated for the whole week and then again this Monday.  Since he's not able to drink the 2-3 qts. of fluid he'd done with the first round we thought we'd get his hydration this way.  We are continually asking for everything possible that all the folks on this site suggest.  It amazes me how many people I meet who didn't know that the "mask" could have eye, nose, mouth and Adams apple holes cut into it if you're claustrophobic.  Also, now that my husband brings his iphone and some mini speakers into the radiation room with him so he can listen to some rocking music instead of the machine and all its bleeps, etc. the staff is installing a CD player and encouraging the rad patients to bring in a favorite CD to help them relax.  Duh.  This one is simple....

His hair is starting to thin and he's unable to eat much by mouth but we got a handle on the canker sores by putting some of the lydocaine on a piece of cotton and putting it in his mouth directly on the sore until it was numb.  At least we were able to get his mouthpiece in this way for his daily radiation treatment.  It's not perfect but it helps.

I can't believe we only have 3 more weeks.  Not looking forward to the double sessions of radiation during the last 2 since he'll be zoned out on Zanax in order to defeat the claustrophobia.  What the heck.  Zoned out for 2 weeks and then no more chemo or radiation forever (hope, hope., hope).  We can do it.

I can't begin to tell you all what it has meant to have you on our team.  Your suggestions and encouragement have been amazing.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    newti said:

halfway through too

We had our second chemo on Monday and, because my husbands lab results were good, we were told that he'd not have to have a third chemo (the one on Monday was the maximum 100 mg)   We opted to get hydrated for the whole week and then again this Monday.  Since he's not able to drink the 2-3 qts. of fluid he'd done with the first round we thought we'd get his hydration this way.  We are continually asking for everything possible that all the folks on this site suggest.  It amazes me how many people I meet who didn't know that the "mask" could have eye, nose, mouth and Adams apple holes cut into it if you're claustrophobic.  Also, now that my husband brings his iphone and some mini speakers into the radiation room with him so he can listen to some rocking music instead of the machine and all its bleeps, etc. the staff is installing a CD player and encouraging the rad patients to bring in a favorite CD to help them relax.  Duh.  This one is simple....

His hair is starting to thin and he's unable to eat much by mouth but we got a handle on the canker sores by putting some of the lydocaine on a piece of cotton and putting it in his mouth directly on the sore until it was numb.  At least we were able to get his mouthpiece in this way for his daily radiation treatment.  It's not perfect but it helps.

I can't believe we only have 3 more weeks.  Not looking forward to the double sessions of radiation during the last 2 since he'll be zoned out on Zanax in order to defeat the claustrophobia.  What the heck.  Zoned out for 2 weeks and then no more chemo or radiation forever (hope, hope., hope).  We can do it.

I can't begin to tell you all what it has meant to have you on our team.  Your suggestions and encouragement have been amazing.

wow, 3 more weeks!  you're

wow, 3 more weeks!  you're half way there.  that's great.  i can't believe they hadn't thought of a cd player before, like you said, duh.  it will be wonderful when he's done and you don't have to run for tx every morning!  his time will be HIS again!  sorry he has to have double dose for 2 weeks, i didn't even know they could that.  i've been on this site for a few years and i still learn new stuff from members.  praying he does well during the next 3 weeks and especially the last two.  please let us know how he does and let us know when he RINGS THE BELL so we can do the happy dance for him.

God bless you both,

dj

• edreddog
    edreddog Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I know they do....

that's why for me.....I chose to get the most bang for my buck Smile.  I also started drinking lots of 4% milk at about the half way mark....for some reason I could taste it better than other things....plus it gave me the illusion of having saliva for longer than a few seconds like water.  I was putting down a gallon every two days.  Nutrition and hydration in one semi-pleasant gulp.

p

Amifostine

I saw in one of your ealier post that you were given this to protect your Saliva glands, did it not work and should I ask the oncologist about it? I will be speaking with him tomorrow and hope fully start my battle soon. I am also a little concerned about his mask that I see you all have had to endure as I am clostophobic.

• phrannie51
    Options
    edreddog said:

Amifostine

I saw in one of your ealier post that you were given this to protect your Saliva glands, did it not work and should I ask the oncologist about it? I will be speaking with him tomorrow and hope fully start my battle soon. I am also a little concerned about his mask that I see you all have had to endure as I am clostophobic.

Edreddog....

I don't know how many Drs. give Amifostine....there's only been a few people on here who have had it that I've seen....Drs. feel it makes treatment harder on the patient (I used to call it my daily sick....it does add to not feeling very good)....I don't know if it actually protected my saliva or not.....I have about 60% now.  The one thing I have seen tho, is that everybody who had a

I don't know if many Drs. give Amifostine.....they feel it makes treatment harder on the patient.  It does add a little sick on top of sick, that's for sure.  I honestly don't know if it helped my saliva or not, I have about 60% now.  The one thing I have heard from those who had Amifostine, is that none of us suffered the mucous that others did. 

Maybe start this as a new thread so those who had Amifostine can weigh in here, too??

p