Flu shot?

Options
2»

Comments

• D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Shingles and Whooping Cough

All of my doctors have recommended the flu shot annually.  I decided on my own to get a whooping cough shot.  There has been a cluster of this disease in my county - owing to parents no longer vaccinating their children.  My mother in law suffered some extreme complications, including deafness, from an episode of shingles, so I consulted with my doctor and got that one as well.  Please discuss these additional shots with your doctor.

Deb

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    A Yes Vote...

I was told by my team to get the shot and I do. I've gotten one cold since treatment as well as a viral infection that scared the bejeebers out of me and I can say that my body has been compromised in it's fighting abilities. If a cold and a viral infection can take me out like they did, I can't imagine what the flu would be like and I'd rather not take the risk and find out.

Positive thoughts

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Kritter said:

Thanks for

Thanks for all the replies.. I will talk with Doc's tomorrow about the flu shot and a pneumonia shot as well. Been told the chemo/radio will make me sick enough without other issues. Thanks for all the comments. 

Prayers and Hugs ! 

Kritter

Your Choice

Hi Kritter,

Ultimately, the choice is up to you and you only.  Many people don't get it because they haven't had the flu for a long time that they don't think it's necessary.  That was me for many years until I hit my mid 40's, then some common sense told me to get it.  Luckily I haven't had the flu for decades now.

Once we've battled cancer, we surely don't want to make our immune system weaker by fighting the flu, so we get the shot.  Most insurance companies cover it, and some have no co-pay like my Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  The pharmacist gives it to me every year.  This year I want to get the shingles shot just to put my mind at ease.  Since I turned 60 this year I'm trying to take better care of myself by way of prevention.

Your choice.

T

• jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Flu Shot

I don't get the flu shot, but that is just my personal choice.  It is by no means 100% effective and how effective it is depends on how well the vaccine is matched with the flu virus and the overall health of the person receiving it.  According to the CDC "Older people with weaker immune systems often have a lower protective immune response after flu vaccination compared to younger, healthier people. This can result in lower vaccine effectiveness in these people." 

I once had a relatively minor case of the shingles and let me tell you that is not something you ever want.  I even got the vaccination after I had shingles which may not even be necessary.  I think I once read that there is only about a 50% chance the shot will give you immunity.  It you are over 50 and have ever had chickpox and/or have a compomised immune system you should seriously consider getting vaccinated.

John