Flu shot?

Options

Did anyone refuse the Flu shot?  Doc seemed unhappy with me that I don't want it. I have only had the Flu once and that was years ago. Is there any benefits to would want me to change my mind? 

Prayers and Hugs ! 

Kritter

Comments

• hrowe
    hrowe Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Sure - get it

I have no choice. At our hospital all employees get the shot or get terminated!

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Flu Shot

My husband has been getting the flu shot since he was diagnosed with cancer 4 years ago, even Hospice gives him the flu shot and he rarely leaves the house to go anywhere.  I also get the flu shot and I tell our sons, grandchildren, friends, if you are sick stay away. 

I would listen to your doctor.  Your system is weaker now.  Also I would ask about the pneumonia vaccine if you haven't gotten it already. 

Sharon

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    maybe

Kritter,

For the first time in many many years I got a flu shot this year. I was getting a shot for something else and the nurse said want a flu shot., Figured why not. I did not get a cold or flu so it must have worked. Then again, I haven't had the flu in a long time. Laughing

• Anonymous7/6/2023
    Options
    I've had my flu jab at work

I've had my flu jab at work today. I have been having it for about the last decade. I have never had flu during this time.

Having had flu twice in my life, I mean 'proper' flu, where you are pretty much bedbound for 2 or 3 weeks, I would never be without the vaccine, especially now I'm wrestling cancer. The last thing I would need is breathing difficulties and to put an extra strain on my immune system.

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    YES YES YES Get the shot ASAP

I was the same way and I started getting the flu shot because of my lungs and I have not had the flu in seven years. If you do get the flu it won't be as bad. I also have to get a Pneumonia shot, insurance has to approve that one, but I am required to have it. If I was to be hospitalized for pneumonia it is a 10 day stay in the hospital or $ 50,000 to $150,000 depending which hospital. My local hospital is a good one at $4000 a day, Stanford is $14,000 a day,plus meds, I get the shot every four years and the flu every year.

Remember your immune systen is not what it used to be, GET THE SHOT !!!!!!!    Sealed

Bill

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Options
    I've never had the shot

I've  never had a flu shot and I've had the flu twice in my lifetime.  They ask me if I want it each time I go to the doctor and I tell them that I've never had one.  They don't persist.

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Yes...get it...

Your immune system isn't going to be what it once was while you are in treatment.  There is no reason to tempt fate and end up with a case of the flu while you're trying to do rads and chemo. 

p

• txpipeliner
    txpipeliner Member Posts: 33
    Options

Yes...get it...

Your immune system isn't going to be what it once was while you are in treatment.  There is no reason to tempt fate and end up with a case of the flu while you're trying to do rads and chemo. 

p

shot

i agree with phrannie51. and others please get it.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    i always got it before cancer

i always got it before cancer so have just continued to do so.  i think its an individual's choice.

dj

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    flu shot

I vote yes on the flu shot.  If your immune system is down you are at a higher risk.  If you get the flu and then develop pneumonia, you'll end up in the hospital and exposed to even more risks.

Those important things aside the flu is a horrible thing to experience.  Why risk missing two weeks of work, feel like crap and being weak beyond belief for a month?

Listen to your doctor and get your flu shot.

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Flu shot

I never had the flu shot before cancer, but docs do recommend that I get it now after.  I have been getting it at work for the past 8 years.  But I did go several years after treatment without the shot.  With all the needle pricks we have all had from treatment what is one more?

• patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    FLU SHOOTER

Hey Kritter,

I'm a big proponent of getting an annual flu shot.  My last bout with the flu was many years ago, and it was not a bit of fun; I'm also a big proponent of having fun.  Having been through all of the crapola that I've gone thru over the past 14 years, it doesn't make sense to me to take a chance of getting something that is avoidable; kinda like wearing seatbelts to avoid going thru a window.  I read this week on Webwhispers, for any laryngectomee who may read this, that it is recommended that we get the high potency flu shot formula, as opposed to the standard kick-in-the-mudd variety.  At any rate, that's my nickel's worth, and I do believe that I'll be getting my high octane flu shot this weekend; thanks for the reminder.  

PATRICK

• edbravo
    edbravo Member Posts: 63
    Options
    patricke said:

FLU SHOOTER

Hey Kritter,

I'm a big proponent of getting an annual flu shot.  My last bout with the flu was many years ago, and it was not a bit of fun; I'm also a big proponent of having fun.  Having been through all of the crapola that I've gone thru over the past 14 years, it doesn't make sense to me to take a chance of getting something that is avoidable; kinda like wearing seatbelts to avoid going thru a window.  I read this week on Webwhispers, for any laryngectomee who may read this, that it is recommended that we get the high potency flu shot formula, as opposed to the standard kick-in-the-mudd variety.  At any rate, that's my nickel's worth, and I do believe that I'll be getting my high octane flu shot this weekend; thanks for the reminder.  

PATRICK

None of my doctors ever

None of my doctors ever sugestted flu shots.

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    the problem is that "flu"

or more properly influenza kills people.  Lots of them in a real epidemic.  If you read about the known history of the influenza virus, you will run, not walk to the nearest facility to get the shot.  Influenza virus is poorly understood by the public, who seems stuck on thinking the common cold is the "flu."  It is not.  When a worldwide pandemic occurs from influenza, it makes a few billion people sick.  That doesn't kill them.  Complications following the flu, chiefly bacterial pneumonia, do kill people.  Those of us who have special risk factors, like cancer (especially if suppressed on chemotherapy) and the elderly or otherwise disabled, are at especially high risk. 

We get lulled into  a false sense of security because an epidemic of real influenza does not happen MOST winters.   And so we think, well, no big deal.  But it has happened repeatedly before, and it will happen again.  

I've been back on chemotherapy for about 8 months now.  My white blood count was almost alarmingly low this last cycle.  Flu scares the hell out of me because I won't handle the insult if I get it.  When you listen to the news today, the discussion is about real influenza.  It is here early this year, right out of SE Asia where it always comes from, and we don't have the vaccine to immunize yet.

best to you

Pat

• Anonymous7/6/2023
    Options

the problem is that "flu"

or more properly influenza kills people.  Lots of them in a real epidemic.  If you read about the known history of the influenza virus, you will run, not walk to the nearest facility to get the shot.  Influenza virus is poorly understood by the public, who seems stuck on thinking the common cold is the "flu."  It is not.  When a worldwide pandemic occurs from influenza, it makes a few billion people sick.  That doesn't kill them.  Complications following the flu, chiefly bacterial pneumonia, do kill people.  Those of us who have special risk factors, like cancer (especially if suppressed on chemotherapy) and the elderly or otherwise disabled, are at especially high risk. 

We get lulled into  a false sense of security because an epidemic of real influenza does not happen MOST winters.   And so we think, well, no big deal.  But it has happened repeatedly before, and it will happen again.  

I've been back on chemotherapy for about 8 months now.  My white blood count was almost alarmingly low this last cycle.  Flu scares the hell out of me because I won't handle the insult if I get it.  When you listen to the news today, the discussion is about real influenza.  It is here early this year, right out of SE Asia where it always comes from, and we don't have the vaccine to immunize yet.

best to you

Pat

My last bout of flu was in

My last bout of flu was in 1994, and I ended up with pleurisy. I *never* want that again; especially not with all this cancer malarkey!

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Kritter

I was told I must get it every year so I am a good patient and have been stuck ever since.

Jeff

• Kritter
    Kritter Member Posts: 147
    Options
    Thanks for

Thanks for all the replies.. I will talk with Doc's tomorrow about the flu shot and a pneumonia shot as well. Been told the chemo/radio will make me sick enough without other issues. Thanks for all the comments. 

Prayers and Hugs ! 

Kritter

• ErthWlkr
    ErthWlkr Member Posts: 60
    Options
    High potency flu shot and laryngectomy

Hi Patrick and all:

I'm trying to find some backup for the statement that laryngectomy patients should get the high potency flu shot. Is this due to a higher susceptibility or increased symptoms if one does get the flu?
    I know several laryngectomy patients and want to explain why with references...

Thanks!

- Jeff

• Roar
    Roar Member Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I got it

Never had it until after my cancer treatment- my doc thought it was a good idea

• Godskeep
    Godskeep Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes Get The shot.

Like every one has already written to you.There is more benefit to getting the Flu shot then to skipping It. Not only am I a cancer survior still on strong pain meds and other medications that lower my immune system but I've also got Psoriatic Arthritis with the skin sores, the joint pain excetra and on Humeria for the treatment which also suppressed my immune system yet I get the Flu shot every time. Don't skip this.