19 years old, swollen nodes, very scared, how do i know it hasnt spread?

Options

Comments

• danielvarian
    danielvarian Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Estelle_H said:

The NICE Guidelines provide

The NICE Guidelines provide for much quicker referral than months, where HNC/NPC is suspected.

To help set your mind at rest, I had swollen lymph nodes a lot when I was your age. It was usually tonsilitis or sinusitis.

can someone explain what

can someone explain what fluctuant means?

• Anonymous7/6/2023
    Options

can someone explain what

can someone explain what fluctuant means?

Fluctuating. Changeable.

Fluctuating. Changeable.

• danielvarian
    Options
    Estelle_H said:

Fluctuating. Changeable.

Fluctuating. Changeable.

When i feel the lump it feels

When i feel the lump it feels sort of smooth and spongy.

i pray to god that the ultrasound will happen and that they can tell if its a cyst.

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I thank you all for being

whatdoes fluctuant mean?

In this case fluctuant refers

In this case fluctuant refers to the consistency felt when you palpate it; it’s more like a lump containing liquid. The ultrasonography will most likely determine that.

• danielvarian
    Options

When i feel the lump it feels

When i feel the lump it feels sort of smooth and spongy.

i pray to god that the ultrasound will happen and that they can tell if its a cyst.

Im just so worried that it

Im just so worried that it could be NPC and its already spread to my lungs or bones.

• danielvarian
    Options

Im just so worried that it could be NPC and its already spread to my lungs or bones.

When this lump first popped

When this lump first popped up it felt like ut was made of jelly,kind of squishy.

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Welcome to the H&N

Let me first say I have to agree with all the others, it's not cancer until a doctor tells you it is. Trust me when I say, we have all been there when we were told it is cancer. Lymph glands swell when you have an infection, thats there job. Your symtoms fit over 12 differand things and none of them are cancer let alone NPC. That was the last on a very long list. What color is your mucus, greenish gray or yellow? If so, you have an infection. having cancer won't do that. I have cancer and when I get an infection I have to take antibiotics, doctors orders. My lungs are so bad I have to keep antibiotics and steroids at home all the time. Over-worring about an illness will only make you worse, as will trying to self diagnosis from what you read on the internet. If you put in your symtems one of the first that comes up in a sinus infection. I would sugest seeing an ENT doctor and he can tell you what you need to from there. It will save a lot of unnessary tests that can get very expencive. My PET/CT was over $12900.00 us. and they won't do it unless there is a very good reason. You might try cleaning your nose and sinus cavity with a Netty Pot. [Rince with saline solution] It can help with the nose bleeds which might be just fron a small blood vessel that broke. And yes NPC is survivable, many on here have done it already. Best of luck and try to calm down until you have reason to worry. We will keep you in our prayers as well.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions

wmc

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options

Oh goodness, Daniel...

NPC is normally SCC....Squamous Cell Carcinoma....a VERY slow growing cancer.  I was diagnosed in March, 2012.....but had been feeling "funny" since October, 2011.....the lump in my neck popped up in December, 2012.  Even if your lump turned out to be SCC, it's highly doubtful that it has spread anywhere other than that node.  You must get off Google.....you're scaring yourself to death for no reason.   The first thing I did after I was diagnosed was give up Google.....stick around here till you have your ultra-sound....but NO MORE searching.  

p

• Anonymous7/6/2023
    Options
    Me and my hubby get

Me and my hubby get nosebleeds with hayfever. 

• danielvarian
    Options
    Estelle_H said:

Me and my hubby get

Me and my hubby get nosebleeds with hayfever. 

I just want to know that im

I just want to know that im gonna be fine :(

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Options
    I understand your fear

but try to take a deep breath and let the awesome people on this board help you through...they sure did help me a bunch!  My son is almost 18 and also has a swollen lymph node on the back of his neck.  We haven't had a biopsy or scan yet as they are watching it for another 3-4 weeks and measuring it.  He also has nosebleeds quite a bit, but his are all allergy related.  He takes allergy injections and due to his vials lapsing, got off track.  He's "making it up" now and the doctor thinks it could be an allergen overload causing the swelling.  Prayers for you that it is nothing very serious and that your nerves can be calmed.

• danielvarian
    Options

I understand your fear

but try to take a deep breath and let the awesome people on this board help you through...they sure did help me a bunch!  My son is almost 18 and also has a swollen lymph node on the back of his neck.  We haven't had a biopsy or scan yet as they are watching it for another 3-4 weeks and measuring it.  He also has nosebleeds quite a bit, but his are all allergy related.  He takes allergy injections and due to his vials lapsing, got off track.  He's "making it up" now and the doctor thinks it could be an allergen overload causing the swelling.  Prayers for you that it is nothing very serious and that your nerves can be calmed.

I think if i had cancer

I think if i had cancer spread to my bones or lungs i would be showing lot more symptoms.

Cough

Shortness of breath etc

Well....i hope so.

• phrannie51
    Options

I think if i had cancer

I think if i had cancer spread to my bones or lungs i would be showing lot more symptoms.

Cough

Shortness of breath etc

Well....i hope so.

Yes...precisely, Daniel....

you'd be feeling a lot more than a lump in your neck if it had spread.....but you don't even know if "IT" even exists.

p

• danielvarian
    Options
    Does everyone with NPC in the

Does everyone with NPC in the lungs die?

Sometimes i can breathd only through one nostril (it switches from right to left) and sometimes when im out in the fresh air i can breathe through both.

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

Does everyone with NPC in the

Does everyone with NPC in the lungs die?

Sometimes i can breathd only through one nostril (it switches from right to left) and sometimes when im out in the fresh air i can breathe through both.

Chances are....

At 19, although not unheard of, the chances that this is being sinister are slim. Nodes react to many things, from allergies to infection. The fact that your congestion switches and at times is clear indicates something other than serious. Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. If the node is cancerous or you have a tumor growing, it won't respond to antibiotics nor get smaller. If you have a swollen node, poking and prodding will only aggravate it and prevent it from healing so do your best not to. Keep in mind Dr. Google is not knowledgable of your actual physical condition nor symptoms. As difficult as the urge is, stay away from him. 

This is a great site for support and information. Let's hope you don't need it. I have a feeling you won't ;)

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

• danielvarian
    Options
    fishmanpa said:

Chances are....

At 19, although not unheard of, the chances that this is being sinister are slim. Nodes react to many things, from allergies to infection. The fact that your congestion switches and at times is clear indicates something other than serious. Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. If the node is cancerous or you have a tumor growing, it won't respond to antibiotics nor get smaller. If you have a swollen node, poking and prodding will only aggravate it and prevent it from healing so do your best not to. Keep in mind Dr. Google is not knowledgable of your actual physical condition nor symptoms. As difficult as the urge is, stay away from him. 

This is a great site for support and information. Let's hope you don't need it. I have a feeling you won't ;)

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

I dont think smoking for two

I dont think smoking for two years is long enough for head and neck cancers.

I just hope the ultrasound can diagnose this as a cyst or something more benign.

• phrannie51
    Options

I dont think smoking for two

I dont think smoking for two years is long enough for head and neck cancers.

I just hope the ultrasound can diagnose this as a cyst or something more benign.

NPC stands for Nasopharyngel Carcinoma....

that is a "place" in the head/neck...it is not a "type" of cancer.  The type of cancer is squamous cell....you don't get NPC in the lungs....that would be "lung cancer" from a metastises. 

I am 99.9% you're going to find out you have allergies, or a chronic sinus infection. 

p

• danielvarian
    Options
    Im nearly finished a course

Im nearly finished a course of antibiotics and the swelling hasnt gone down.

Now i did read online that only 5-8% of people with NPc have distant mets.

My question was if NPC has spread to the lungs i dont think anybody survives that.

It spreads in alphabetical order..bones,liver,lungs.

• danielvarian
    Options

Im nearly finished a course

Im nearly finished a course of antibiotics and the swelling hasnt gone down.

Now i did read online that only 5-8% of people with NPc have distant mets.

My question was if NPC has spread to the lungs i dont think anybody survives that.

It spreads in alphabetical order..bones,liver,lungs.

I dont want to die :(

I dont want to die :(

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    NPC

Rule of thumb here is that; it is Not Cancer or NPC until the doctor tells you it is cancer. There are a lot of things that can cause the problems you are having, one of them can be cancer but for now don’t let this scare you. Keep a positive outlook and find something to focus on.

Question: why do you think it is NPC, is it because of your family background. Remember there are a lot of people who had NPC and are still living long passed the treatment; it is just another door in life we have to open.

I hope you plan to stay and become a part of our family, God Bless

Hondo