Hemp Oil--A Cure For Cancer?

mp327
mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member

Okay, my fellow posters, it seems we have a new member who insists that their lung cancer was cured by Dr. Rick Simpson and his magic hemp oil.  Really?  Somehow, I doubt it.  If hemp oil could cure cancer, wouldn't every cancer patient be using it?  I know I would.

This is just a Monday morning rant, but I am so tired of spammers getting on this board and trying to convince us that we are fools for undergoing chemo, radiation and surgery to get rid of our cancer when it's as simple as using hemp oil or eating apricot pits.  I was just not in the mood to read this kind of BS this morning.  In the past week or so, 3 anal cancer survivors on other sites on which I post have found out that their cancer has metastasized to the liver and/or lungs.  I have also learned that one of my childhood friends has triple-negative breast cancer and is currently having chemo, to be followed with radiation.  It has been one of those "bad news on the doorstep" kind of weeks for me.  When I read such garbage as the post about hemp oil, I want to scream!

If that poster happens to read this little rant, please know that this board is for people who have or have had anal cancer.  We are not stupid people and we know what the treatment is for our disease.  Please do not bother us with your BS.  You are free to believe what you wish, but please leave us alone.  I wish that the administrator of this site would put some filters in that would require more information from new registrants.

This is just my personal opinion.

Comments

• TraceyUSA
    TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316
    Well said Martha

I don't think you're ranting. I believe in alternative medicine but this sort of spam is ridiculous!

• greta
    greta Member Posts: 237
    Spammer

The person was a spammer and has been blocked from CSN

Best,

greta
    CSN support team

• mp327
    greta said:

Spammer

The person was a spammer and has been blocked from CSN

Best,

greta
    CSN support team

Greta

Thank you.

• MsVJP
    MsVJP Member Posts: 12
    Hemp Oil

Actually, Rick Simpson doesn't use hemp oil, but does use cannabis. He produces a product called Phoenix Tears and it has been shown to be effective in eliminating tumors, as well as some other conditions. I started the treatment when I learned I had anal cancer. However, by the time I was in chemo, I couldn't handle the taste. I'm seriously consideing restarting the treatment to prevent against a reoccurance.

The reason we haven't all heard about this? I truly believe the pharmaceutical companies don't want us to know. Why do you think cannabis is legal here in CO, but still a schedule 1 drug on the federal level? Yep, pharmaceutical companies have big bucks to influence DC.

I didn't see the spam you mentioned, but wanted to respond and clarify the difference.

• mp327
    MsVJP said:

Hemp Oil

Actually, Rick Simpson doesn't use hemp oil, but does use cannabis. He produces a product called Phoenix Tears and it has been shown to be effective in eliminating tumors, as well as some other conditions. I started the treatment when I learned I had anal cancer. However, by the time I was in chemo, I couldn't handle the taste. I'm seriously consideing restarting the treatment to prevent against a reoccurance.

The reason we haven't all heard about this? I truly believe the pharmaceutical companies don't want us to know. Why do you think cannabis is legal here in CO, but still a schedule 1 drug on the federal level? Yep, pharmaceutical companies have big bucks to influence DC.

I didn't see the spam you mentioned, but wanted to respond and clarify the difference.

MsVJP

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I think the person who is benefitting the most from Phoenix Tears is probably Mr. Simpson or Dr. Simpson or whatever he calls himself.

• MsVJP
    mp327 said:

MsVJP

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I think the person who is benefitting the most from Phoenix Tears is probably Mr. Simpson or Dr. Simpson or whatever he calls himself.

MsVJP

Actually, he doesn't benefit unless he directly helps the patient and quite often he donates the oil. My oil was produced by my son with the free instructions from Rick's website. He freely shares information and doesn't charge for it. Not everyone is out to make a buck and Rick is one of those people. The great thing about Phoenix Tears is anyone can make their own....

• mp327
    MsVJP said:

MsVJP

Actually, he doesn't benefit unless he directly helps the patient and quite often he donates the oil. My oil was produced by my son with the free instructions from Rick's website. He freely shares information and doesn't charge for it. Not everyone is out to make a buck and Rick is one of those people. The great thing about Phoenix Tears is anyone can make their own....

MsVJP

ok

• sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    Martha!

You go girl!!!!!

I have a friend with stage IV lung cancer whose sister is trying to get her to go to Mexico for the so disproved Gertzen formula. She is still has a chance at life if people like you are talking about would just say to her "choose the best doctors you can find and follow their instructions." Then see where you are.

I was with her for her first infusion. She was born in New York and I'm from SC and Seattle. This is a wonderful person too! People who were close to her are so afraid of the disease and the treatment they seem to have disappeared. I am so glad I showed up and continue to show up for her. "All the lonely people, where do they all come from????"

If my friend wants to let go, that's her decision and I respect that, but she's getting a lot of noise like the spam message that's misleading.

So when you ranted for yourself you ranted for me too and you did a wonderful job! As the Aussie's say Good 'on ya!

Fondly,

Sandy

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Martha.....

It must be the moon or the sun or the stars or anything else to blame but I have had a week similar to yours.  I have not been on here as much as I'd like as my days have been full. It is true that we are all entitled to our opinion and of course we welcome helpful advice, but I completely agree that if there were a miracle cure it would be readily prescribed.  I am so thankful for the mannor in which I've been treated by my medical team and it is hurtful to feel like they deserve anything less than my respect.  Research into advancing treatment and new and exciting options are wonderful, but there is a time and place and this is neither the time or place for a snake oil salesman of sorts.

katheryn 

• MsVJP
    Snake oil.....

There was a time when chemo was considered snake oil. Stop being afraid of something new and different. If you don't believe me, look at the National Cancer Institute. Studies have been done, people!! 

CBD has also been demonstrated to exert a chemopreventive effect in a mouse model of colon cancer

Here's the link: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page4

In addition, here's the link to the study that was done in Spain: http://collapsereport.com/2012/10/10/spain-study-confirms-hemp-oil-cures-cancer-without-side-effects/

Another study reported on the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/marijuana-cancer_n_4158865.html

There are many studies being done around the world. If our country would just reschedule cannabis, we could conduct the here....but pharmaceutical companies continue to fight that. Sigh....

• mp327
    eihtak said:

Martha.....

It must be the moon or the sun or the stars or anything else to blame but I have had a week similar to yours.  I have not been on here as much as I'd like as my days have been full. It is true that we are all entitled to our opinion and of course we welcome helpful advice, but I completely agree that if there were a miracle cure it would be readily prescribed.  I am so thankful for the mannor in which I've been treated by my medical team and it is hurtful to feel like they deserve anything less than my respect.  Research into advancing treatment and new and exciting options are wonderful, but there is a time and place and this is neither the time or place for a snake oil salesman of sorts.

katheryn 

Thank you

Agree or disagree, I thank you all for your comments.  I truly believe that people do not promote hemp oil, snake oil, motor oil  Foot in Mouth, apricot pits or anything else unconventional as a cure for cancer unless there is something in it for them--profit.  Of course, everyone has a right to advertise such crap on the internet.  However, putting such information on a site that is for the purpose of cancer survivors supporting each other is just wrong.  I believe these people are predators, looking to take advantage of people who are vulnerable.  We have all heard of people suffering with terminal cancer who will try absolutely anything.  I get that, but I don't believe there is any room on this site for individuals to promote their products, miracle cures, etc.  Again, this is just my opinion and no one is required to agree with it.  

• mp327
    MsVJP said:

Snake oil.....

There was a time when chemo was considered snake oil. Stop being afraid of something new and different. If you don't believe me, look at the National Cancer Institute. Studies have been done, people!! 

CBD has also been demonstrated to exert a chemopreventive effect in a mouse model of colon cancer

Here's the link: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page4

In addition, here's the link to the study that was done in Spain: http://collapsereport.com/2012/10/10/spain-study-confirms-hemp-oil-cures-cancer-without-side-effects/

Another study reported on the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/marijuana-cancer_n_4158865.html

There are many studies being done around the world. If our country would just reschedule cannabis, we could conduct the here....but pharmaceutical companies continue to fight that. Sigh....

MsVJP

My argument is not whether or not this stuff works as advertised by Dr. Whathisname.  Maybe it does, I don't know.  My beef is that someone can get on this site, register (I thought that registration was for those wanting to discuss their cancer and seek support) then promote a product.  I realize we have different opinions and that's okay.  I'm just stating mine.  If this was a miracle cure, everyone would be doing it, I'm sure.  I have always viewed things on the internet with a bit of caution--you cannot believe everything that's out there.  I maintain that this man is profitting every time he sells some of this stuff or his book or whatever he is selling. 

Enough about that.  I sincerely hope you are doing well.

• MsVJP
    Breaking News for tumors....

I didn't see the spam email, so I don't know if someone was trying to sell cannabis or was simply sharing info. I'm not selling anything, but would like to share some info. I think it's important to know ALL of our options.

The Huffington Post just posted this a few minutes ago ....and I quote, well copy and paste:

This isn't the first time scientists have found that marijuana can be effective at fighting cancer. Previous studies have found that THC cuts tumor growth in lung cancer in half and also prohibited the cancer from spreading. THC has also been shown to induce death in brain cancer cells.

But THC is just one of many cannabinoids found in marijuana. Others, like CBD, a non-toxic, non-psychoactive chemical compound in the cannabis plant, has also shown promise in the battle against cancer. Researchers in California found that CBD could stop metastasis in many kinds of aggressive cancer.

In the United Kingdom, a team of scientists found that six different purified cannabinoids -- CBD (Cannabidiol), CBDA (Cannabidiolic acid), CBG (Cannbigerol), CBGA (Cannabigerolic acid), CBGV (Cannabigevarin) and CBGVA (Cannabigevaric acid) -- showed a wide range of therapeutic qualities that "target and switch off" pathways that allow cancers to grow.

Here is a link where you can read the whole story yourself.   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/marijuana-tumors_n_5588639.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&ir=Politics

• mp327
    MsVJP said:

Breaking News for tumors....

I didn't see the spam email, so I don't know if someone was trying to sell cannabis or was simply sharing info. I'm not selling anything, but would like to share some info. I think it's important to know ALL of our options.

The Huffington Post just posted this a few minutes ago ....and I quote, well copy and paste:

This isn't the first time scientists have found that marijuana can be effective at fighting cancer. Previous studies have found that THC cuts tumor growth in lung cancer in half and also prohibited the cancer from spreading. THC has also been shown to induce death in brain cancer cells.

But THC is just one of many cannabinoids found in marijuana. Others, like CBD, a non-toxic, non-psychoactive chemical compound in the cannabis plant, has also shown promise in the battle against cancer. Researchers in California found that CBD could stop metastasis in many kinds of aggressive cancer.

In the United Kingdom, a team of scientists found that six different purified cannabinoids -- CBD (Cannabidiol), CBDA (Cannabidiolic acid), CBG (Cannbigerol), CBGA (Cannabigerolic acid), CBGV (Cannabigevarin) and CBGVA (Cannabigevaric acid) -- showed a wide range of therapeutic qualities that "target and switch off" pathways that allow cancers to grow.

Here is a link where you can read the whole story yourself.   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/16/marijuana-tumors_n_5588639.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&ir=Politics

MsVJP

Again, I'm not saying cannabis, marijuana, THC, etc. cannot have benefits when fighting cancer.  I'm just saying Dr. Whathisname is in for the money--I stand by that.  IMO, the original post was a sales pitch and nothing more.

• sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    mp327 said:

MsVJP

Again, I'm not saying cannabis, marijuana, THC, etc. cannot have benefits when fighting cancer.  I'm just saying Dr. Whathisname is in for the money--I stand by that.  IMO, the original post was a sales pitch and nothing more.

Hemp, marijuana, etc.

I'm with you, Martha. Let them grow hemp. There are likely to be a lot of studies promoting it since there is a lot of money to be made in the legalization for distribution of hemp products. I don't see any problem in them growing it and doing more research here. Who knows, maybe the hemp/snake oil guy is right? But I so agree with you that if you are stage III (plus?) and in terrible pain, you aren't going to reach for a bottle of hemp oil. ha! The whole notion is really laughable.

Good on ya!

Sincerely,

Sandy

• horsepad
    horsepad Member Posts: 146 Member
    I smoked marijuana during

I smoked marijuana during treatment.  My son recommended I try it since the 2 pills I took a day for nausea and the 1 pill I took a day to make me hungry were not working.  I had lost 40 lbs and was skin and bones.   I told my doctor and he had no problem with me using marijuana. He told me marijuana has helped patients.   It helped me more than the prescription pills I took daily.  Does hemp oil/smoking pot cure/reduce cancer cells?  I don't know but I would not try an unconventional method instead of the standard chemo/radiation.  Maybe try it with the standard protocal.

• mp327
    horsepad said:

I smoked marijuana during

I smoked marijuana during treatment.  My son recommended I try it since the 2 pills I took a day for nausea and the 1 pill I took a day to make me hungry were not working.  I had lost 40 lbs and was skin and bones.   I told my doctor and he had no problem with me using marijuana. He told me marijuana has helped patients.   It helped me more than the prescription pills I took daily.  Does hemp oil/smoking pot cure/reduce cancer cells?  I don't know but I would not try an unconventional method instead of the standard chemo/radiation.  Maybe try it with the standard protocal.

horsepad

I truly believe that marijuana can ease side effects.  I had a chance to obtain some while I was in treatment, but elected not to.  As for marijuana, hemp, etc. curing cancer, I am not a believer.  Standard treatment of chemo/rad has pretty good success rates.

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    mp327 said:

horsepad

I truly believe that marijuana can ease side effects.  I had a chance to obtain some while I was in treatment, but elected not to.  As for marijuana, hemp, etc. curing cancer, I am not a believer.  Standard treatment of chemo/rad has pretty good success rates.

Martha.......

Like you I am not at all convinced of the "healing" properties of marijuana and its cousins, yet that being said, while I did not use it to help with any side effects myself, I am quite convinced that it would make this journey much more tolerable for many.  As a college student of the 70's I grew up in an environment that freely smoked pot and can speak from experience of its potential to ease discomfort.  I was able to handle my immediate side effects with whatever my doctors recommended but if for some reason was to go through this again and that didn't work, its good to know we have options.

Be well.

Katheryn

• mp327
    KellyMartelle

Okay, whatever.  Still not a believer. 

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    Hemp oil

You Rock Martha!

i wish there was a like button.