Treatment Over

Options
Guzzle
Guzzle Member Posts: 710

Friends, have finished 33 Rt and 3 cisplatins. Still eating minimal weight loss. No mouth sores, got saliva but dry mouth overnight, taste ok but staying off spicy food for a bit, on pain killers, got a bit of tender skin behind ear. A bit tired so early nights. Id just like to thank everybody for your wise words of wisdom. Not out of woods yet as side effects can worsen for a few weeks but I know I have been blessed so far. Dr has made me promise to take it easy! That could be a tough challenge. I am one of those idiots who ran and cycled through treatment.Thanks again all, Gary.

Comments

• PJ47
    PJ47 Member Posts: 376
    Options
    Take it easy

Relax and conserve your energy.  You will next it the next few weeks.  Congratulations you have finished!  

PJ

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Congrats

So. We all need to come up with a name for you. Superman seems so inadequate. Hulk - maybe. 1% - Maybe.

You are a 1%er and trilled watching firsthand as you glided unscathed over the usually severe weather associated with oral cancer treatments. You've done amazingly well and doubt you'll experience any worsening side effects.

Congrats on a job well done! Don

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Whoo Hoo!!

you're free!!  Well, at least free to not have to go to rads everyday.... :).  Now you can rest up, heal up, and move on with your life.

Congratulations....

p

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options

Whoo Hoo!!

you're free!!  Well, at least free to not have to go to rads everyday.... :).  Now you can rest up, heal up, and move on with your life.

Congratulations....

p

Done

Good to hear that the treatment is over, my treatment finished on June 17th 2009, almost 5 years ago. I am sure that your getting though this with minimal weight loss and discomfort is attributable to being a scouser. I am pretty sure that you will not take the docs advice and be back on the bike in a week or two, good stuff Gary. 

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Gary, i thought i heard a

Gary, i thought i heard a bell ring!!  i was camping yesterday with no access to pc so sending my congrats today.  my goodness that time went fast.  it seems like yesterday you posted about your first tx.  i'm glad that part if over for you and that you faired so well.  you're amazing.  now your time belongs to you again.  enjoy and live on, friend!!

God bless you,

dj

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    Congrats!

Great job Gary - glad you made it through so well!

Lorna

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    over

G,

Congratulations on finishing treatment.  I will ring my bell for you.

Matt

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Finished

Gary, congratulations on finishing big guy.    Now the body can start to heall and you can get back to the business of doing all the things you enjoy.    You handled the treatment as well as anyone I've seen and reinforces my belief that you Brits are one tough group!

I hope you start to feel better soon and get back on that bike with some good long rides really quick.  

All the best,

Keith

• Robyn64
    Robyn64 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Happy for you

Very happy for you Gary. I hope your side effects dont worsen over the coming weeks. Good to know you can now put it behind you .

Take good care of yourself !

Robyn

• Guzzle
    Options
    Robyn64 said:

Happy for you

Very happy for you Gary. I hope your side effects dont worsen over the coming weeks. Good to know you can now put it behind you .

Take good care of yourself !

Robyn

Taking it easy....

Doc has made me promise to put my feet up for next few weeks and concentrate on healing. I know not quite out of the woods yet! But thank you so much for all of your kind thoughts. I just hope my experience can be a small help to others as many if yours has to me. My next mission is to just carry on eating and gain back the little weight Ive Lost, gradually week myself off pain meds, then build up activity. Then holiday in Malta, then get back to work! Simple! So as you can see I will be asking for plenty more advice! Thanks Again, Gary

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Gary

All the best to you as you cross the finish line and become a survivor, just remember the radiation will continue working in your body for a few weeks after the treatment stops.

Tim Hondo

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Yea for

you, listen to your Dr and in no time, you'll be abi=normal, just like the rest of us!!!

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Sigh of relief

Eureka..isn't it a great feeling after your last rad, what did you do with your mask. I kept mine I was going to use it for a mold for papier-mâché masks for the wall but it hides in my under stairs cupboard and frightens me to death every time I forget it's in there....like when the gasman comes to read the meter, it's very scary. Must get rid of it ..but how, don't want to frighten the dust men.....

• katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Taking it easy....

Doc has made me promise to put my feet up for next few weeks and concentrate on healing. I know not quite out of the woods yet! But thank you so much for all of your kind thoughts. I just hope my experience can be a small help to others as many if yours has to me. My next mission is to just carry on eating and gain back the little weight Ive Lost, gradually week myself off pain meds, then build up activity. Then holiday in Malta, then get back to work! Simple! So as you can see I will be asking for plenty more advice! Thanks Again, Gary

Well done Guzzle !

Yes it is very important to let your body heal now.  I am so amazed at your ability to endure all of this with such a positive attitude !  The pain meds. will be done and over with before you know it, please don't hurry with this one.  You have been an inspiration to my brother !  He's two weeks behind you, doing the exact same tx's.  If and when things pop up for side effects down the road, many here will be able to help you through it.  Again, well done Gary !  Hugs sent !  Katie

• Guzzle
    Options

Sigh of relief

Eureka..isn't it a great feeling after your last rad, what did you do with your mask. I kept mine I was going to use it for a mold for papier-mâché masks for the wall but it hides in my under stairs cupboard and frightens me to death every time I forget it's in there....like when the gasman comes to read the meter, it's very scary. Must get rid of it ..but how, don't want to frighten the dust men.....

BYE BYE Mask!

Jackie kept mine too. May enter it for the Turner Art Prize! Glad to have my days back though! Let me know if you are are ever up north! Katie, often think of your brother. Let him know Im here if he has any questions. Have him keep eating/swallowing as much as poss. Been on ward with some who couldn't and have had pegs fitted or are on NG tubes. In my hospital NG tubes are kept in patient. I think on balance Id have rather had a ped but so far avoided both. Also get him to manage pain meds and laxatives. I think some of it is just down to luck but management and planning helps. Thanks everyone else for good wishes. I have first oncologist follow up next wed and first ENT in a month or so. Then scans when everything settles down. If everything gos to plan I hope to be able to make my family holiday to Malta in Aug with factor 50 plus upv lotion and a few good hats. Fingers crossed for next few weeks and hope symptoms don't worsen! Regards, Gart

• NelsonOng
    NelsonOng Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi Mate, atlas it's all done

Mate, am happy that your treatment has ended. You will feel lethargic for the next two to three weeks and I remembered I make it a point to hit the gym even I am tired on the third week onwards reason being to built my immune system. Our body needs repair after the brutal treatment and it is normal if you find yourself tired and sleepy.  Get more rest and do some light workout if you may do so.

Mate, doesn't it sound like.......

When you walk thru a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the dark.... At the end of the storm, there's golden sky, and the sweet silver song of the lark..... Walk on... thru the wind... walk on... thru the rain, though your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on, walk on... With hope in your heart and You'll never walk alone, You'll never walk alone.... walk on, walk on... With hope in your heart and You'll never walk alone, You'll never walk alone...

Mate, your treatment.... It's all over. Praise God.

On a side note, am happy we captured Richie Lambert and Emre Can.  Hopefully can add Moreno and Lallana too.

Cheers mate and rest well....  YNWA ..... Nelson

• Guzzle
    Options
    NelsonOng said:

Hi Mate, atlas it's all done

Mate, am happy that your treatment has ended. You will feel lethargic for the next two to three weeks and I remembered I make it a point to hit the gym even I am tired on the third week onwards reason being to built my immune system. Our body needs repair after the brutal treatment and it is normal if you find yourself tired and sleepy.  Get more rest and do some light workout if you may do so.

Mate, doesn't it sound like.......

When you walk thru a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the dark.... At the end of the storm, there's golden sky, and the sweet silver song of the lark..... Walk on... thru the wind... walk on... thru the rain, though your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on, walk on... With hope in your heart and You'll never walk alone, You'll never walk alone.... walk on, walk on... With hope in your heart and You'll never walk alone, You'll never walk alone...

Mate, your treatment.... It's all over. Praise God.

On a side note, am happy we captured Richie Lambert and Emre Can.  Hopefully can add Moreno and Lallana too.

Cheers mate and rest well....  YNWA ..... Nelson

YNWA

Nelson, Cheers. Lambert will Definately give us something different and we will need a bigger squad for Europe. I hope to go to a Euro away next year. Ill let you know which one when the draw is made. Thanks for the song. Appreciated! We will get you to a Liverpool game yet! I will resume light excercise with a walk Sunday and light jog Monday. Promised Dr. Would take it easy for two weeks! Good to hear from you Nelson, Gary

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Congrads..I also finsihed

Congrads..I also finsihed upmy treatment the nurse led me to the bell and had me ring the hell out of it. Go on the 13th to finally get this trach taken out then start healing.Did lose alittle weight from over dose of the drug never gained it back but didn't lose anymore either.As radiation has slightly left me me gain a couple of pounds.Will know more as I go back for check-ups...

• Guzzle
    Options

Congrads..I also finsihed

Congrads..I also finsihed upmy treatment the nurse led me to the bell and had me ring the hell out of it. Go on the 13th to finally get this trach taken out then start healing.Did lose alittle weight from over dose of the drug never gained it back but didn't lose anymore either.As radiation has slightly left me me gain a couple of pounds.Will know more as I go back for check-ups...

Well Done

Well Done through the bell! Kates brother next I think! G.

• patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    FABULOUS

Hey Gary,

Congratulations, I am so glad to hear the Great News!  Life will just keep gitt'in better, but I do suggest that you attend to your doc's advice, as you will have plenty of time to get back into the running and biking full tilt sooner than you might think; take your time and enjoy it.  Live well, and Keep It Mov'in Forward!

PATRICK