CT chest showed a subplueral density 6mm in right lower lobe lung scared.

Options
knolltop
knolltop Member Posts: 56

Anal cancer in 2010 that met to liver in 2012.   Been ned since resection, but last CT chest scan last week showed a subplueral density in right lower lobe of lung.    My oncologist doesn't seem to be worried, but he thought my spot on liver wasn't anything either until 3 months later with biopsy that showed it metastised to liver.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the lungs.  Tthank you for you thoughts on this matter.

«1

Comments

  • Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi

    Hi,

     

    Im hoping things will come out ok for you.  We are at the mercy of these doctors. I had a spot on my lung when I was first diagnosed.  It's gone now.  Many people here have lungabnormalities.  

  • mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    knolltop

    I have not had this mentioned on any of my scans, but instead I have lung granulomas--many of them--which are thought to be the result of old histoplasmosis.  I was totally unaware that I had had such a condition prior to cancer.  Is your doctor going to follow-up this lung density with any further tests or a referral to a pulmonologist?  Do you have a copy of the report?  If not, I would definitely request one.  I certainly hope your doctor is right, and his opinion is most likely based on that of the reading radiologist. 

  • knolltop
    knolltop Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks for your comments

    My oncologist is speaking with the radiologist.   I have an appointment with him next week and i should find out more information.

    I do have a copy of report and CD.

  • mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    knolltop said:

    Thanks for your comments

    My oncologist is speaking with the radiologist.   I have an appointment with him next week and i should find out more information.

    I do have a copy of report and CD.

    knolltop

    Please keep us posted!

  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    knolltop

    Hello Knolltop, I had a 7mm lung nodule in lower right lobe found on follow up scan in 2010.  I completed anal cancer tx on 6-30-09.  I ended up having vats to remove the lower right lobe on 9-23-10. 

    When the nodule is so small the usual procedure is to have a follow up scan in 3 to 4 months.  Well when I did it was shown to have grown to 1.3 cm, so therefore had to come out.

    With the vats they were able to remove and biopsy the nodule right in the OR to see if it was a met or a new primary.  Mine was a new primary, altough squamous cell like the anal cancer, there was no hpv in the nodule like the anal cancer, so therefore not a met.

     I know its scary but its so small and the good thing is if it does grow it is caught early.  I also upon rescan in 2011 a 5mm lung nodule was found in the left lower lung and upon rescan 3 months later it was gone.  Lung nodules may come and go and we don't even know it.  I wish you well. Lori

     

     

  • knolltop
    knolltop Member Posts: 56
    Options
    z said:

    knolltop

    Hello Knolltop, I had a 7mm lung nodule in lower right lobe found on follow up scan in 2010.  I completed anal cancer tx on 6-30-09.  I ended up having vats to remove the lower right lobe on 9-23-10. 

    When the nodule is so small the usual procedure is to have a follow up scan in 3 to 4 months.  Well when I did it was shown to have grown to 1.3 cm, so therefore had to come out.

    With the vats they were able to remove and biopsy the nodule right in the OR to see if it was a met or a new primary.  Mine was a new primary, altough squamous cell like the anal cancer, there was no hpv in the nodule like the anal cancer, so therefore not a met.

     I know its scary but its so small and the good thing is if it does grow it is caught early.  I also upon rescan in 2011 a 5mm lung nodule was found in the left lower lung and upon rescan 3 months later it was gone.  Lung nodules may come and go and we don't even know it.  I wish you well. Lori

     

     

    Thank you Lori.   So happy

    Thank you Lori.   So happy all is well with you.

    I see my oncologist Friday the 23 of May to discuss matter.    I will probably go for a follow up scan. 

    Will post when I find out.

  • sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Pulmonologist

    I have several problems with my lungs also and recently changed Pulmonologists. The first one told me I had bronchiachsis, and I was chronically ill. That was depressing.

    Then I found out I had a very low immunologobulin G count and that I had CVID. Now the Immunologist said my internist was wrong about that and that I just have Hypogamoglobulin anemia. It is a much better diagnosis. I now get infusions from human blood plasma of the gamogobulin, which should stop the chronic illness.

    The new Pulmonologist does not know what is really wrong with my lung. She has reviewed the scans. The spot that is turning "cystic" changes from time to time getting larger and then smaller based on inflammation is too close to the heart to needle biopsy.

    I have never had liver mets or anything else wrong. I can see why you would be scared. My oncologist insisted that I get a Pulmonologist and showed her impatience with my first one, so I got the second.

    I think you should have a Pulmonologist review your scan. Do you get chronic bronchitis or have asthma?

    Good luck,

    Sandy

  • sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    sandysp said:

    Pulmonologist

    I have several problems with my lungs also and recently changed Pulmonologists. The first one told me I had bronchiachsis, and I was chronically ill. That was depressing.

    Then I found out I had a very low immunologobulin G count and that I had CVID. Now the Immunologist said my internist was wrong about that and that I just have Hypogamoglobulin anemia. It is a much better diagnosis. I now get infusions from human blood plasma of the gamogobulin, which should stop the chronic illness.

    The new Pulmonologist does not know what is really wrong with my lung. She has reviewed the scans. The spot that is turning "cystic" changes from time to time getting larger and then smaller based on inflammation is too close to the heart to needle biopsy.

    I have never had liver mets or anything else wrong. I can see why you would be scared. My oncologist insisted that I get a Pulmonologist and showed her impatience with my first one, so I got the second.

    I think you should have a Pulmonologist review your scan. Do you get chronic bronchitis or have asthma?

    Good luck,

    Sandy

    hpv

    I didn't have Hpv. The immune deficiency which has an autoimmune response was my problem and likely caused the cancers I have had. It should have been diagnosed many many years ago, if I had just had the right doctors and followed up properly with them.

    Sandy

  • knolltop
    knolltop Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi Sandisp
    I have never had

    Hi Sandisp

    I have never had chronic bronchitis or asthma.   I do get slightly out a breath at times when working fast or walking up a steep driveway, but nothing to really complain about.    I am over weight so I think that contributes to the problem.

    I see my oncologist this Friday to discuss the scan.  

    Wishing you the best with your treatment.

     

  • sandysp
    sandysp Member Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    knolltop said:

    Hi Sandisp
    I have never had

    Hi Sandisp

    I have never had chronic bronchitis or asthma.   I do get slightly out a breath at times when working fast or walking up a steep driveway, but nothing to really complain about.    I am over weight so I think that contributes to the problem.

    I see my oncologist this Friday to discuss the scan.  

    Wishing you the best with your treatment.

     

    How are you?

    I think today is the day you are meeting your Oncologist. I am thinking of you. My Oncologist told me to "get a Pulmonologist!" I already had one but he was non responsive or commital. Finally he diagnosed me with "Bronchichisis of a rare dry nature". They looked at it my scans at MSK and could not tell for sure what was going on. I saw another Pulmonologist. Neither of them really know but it's just too close to my heart to do a needle biopsy. At least the second said the first was wrong about the Bronchiachisis and now that I get the Immunoglobulin to treat a chronic anemia I feel much much better.

    I have some hilliar nodes lit up also.  So I have been advised to have a chest scan every year. My oncologist says she thinks it will be enough to do the chest with the pelvis, like they have been doing, although they did a serious cancer chest scan in January which showed the mass to have changed to being "cystic". It also got smaller, though so that was good. So these things are sometimes not always the same when scanned. Scans can indicate false positives. It is good to be conservative if you can, I believe.

    I hope that this is something they can just moniter and you don't have to go through any surgeries or treatment, as long as it isn't affecting your health right now. You are in my prayers.

    Sandy

  • chaybay56
    chaybay56 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Scans

    I am wondering about how your chest scan looked...uptake value?

    I had a scan in Aug. 2013 and there was uptake in my chest area. I explained to my oncologist that I must have broken a bone because when I reached under my daughter's bed while cleaning I felt a pain that took my breath away. He was glad to hear that and we both forgot about it. My mother passed away so I missed my scan in Feb. but recently had the scan but had to return to my mother's estate before seeing the doctor. I always get a CD of my scan. The scan istill shows uptake in the same chest area and if it was a broken bone it should have been gone. I always have uptake in my anus and I always have to have a colonoscopy but last time my colon doctor said he would get me a break because they were starting to take a toll on me. (dx April 23, 2009) Well my bladder is showing uptake as well but I did see my OBBYN recently and he dx me with a bladder infection so I am thinking it is infection. Would an infection have an uptake of 17? That seems rather high to me but I am no doctor. I figured if the scan was really bad the doctor would call with the results. I won't be back home until the middle of June at that time I planned on seeing the doctor. Should I call the doctor? I think I might be in denial and putting the ownership with the doctor who probably thinks I have an appointment.

  • mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    chaybay56 said:

    Scans

    I am wondering about how your chest scan looked...uptake value?

    I had a scan in Aug. 2013 and there was uptake in my chest area. I explained to my oncologist that I must have broken a bone because when I reached under my daughter's bed while cleaning I felt a pain that took my breath away. He was glad to hear that and we both forgot about it. My mother passed away so I missed my scan in Feb. but recently had the scan but had to return to my mother's estate before seeing the doctor. I always get a CD of my scan. The scan istill shows uptake in the same chest area and if it was a broken bone it should have been gone. I always have uptake in my anus and I always have to have a colonoscopy but last time my colon doctor said he would get me a break because they were starting to take a toll on me. (dx April 23, 2009) Well my bladder is showing uptake as well but I did see my OBBYN recently and he dx me with a bladder infection so I am thinking it is infection. Would an infection have an uptake of 17? That seems rather high to me but I am no doctor. I figured if the scan was really bad the doctor would call with the results. I won't be back home until the middle of June at that time I planned on seeing the doctor. Should I call the doctor? I think I might be in denial and putting the ownership with the doctor who probably thinks I have an appointment.

    chaybay56--

    I think you should call your doctor.  We can never assume that no news is good news.  I'm not sure how or if a bladder infection would show up on a PET with an SUV of 17.  That seems quite high to me for inflammation, which an infection could cause. 

  • mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    mp327 said:

    chaybay56--

    I think you should call your doctor.  We can never assume that no news is good news.  I'm not sure how or if a bladder infection would show up on a PET with an SUV of 17.  That seems quite high to me for inflammation, which an infection could cause. 

    SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    When I had my colonoscopy in 2008 because of BM symptoms there was a communication mix up betweeen my gastroenterologist and my primary care physician.  Each one thought the other had called me with the results being anal cancer when in fact no one called me until I phoned my primary care doctor a week later and he then contacted my gastroenterologist.

    Mike

  • knolltop
    knolltop Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Update

    Talked with my oncologist and I'm going to wait two months and go for another CT Chest Scan around July 14.    He also wanted me to schedule an appointment with aThoracic surgeon and take my old CT scan with me.

    After having the new scan and information I receive from the surgeon....I will take all it back to the oncologist to discuss.

    The spot may be two small for needle biopsy, not sure.

    So right about now...I'm still waiting in limbo.

    thanik you for all your comments.

     

  • mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    knolltop said:

    Update

    Talked with my oncologist and I'm going to wait two months and go for another CT Chest Scan around July 14.    He also wanted me to schedule an appointment with aThoracic surgeon and take my old CT scan with me.

    After having the new scan and information I receive from the surgeon....I will take all it back to the oncologist to discuss.

    The spot may be two small for needle biopsy, not sure.

    So right about now...I'm still waiting in limbo.

    thanik you for all your comments.

     

    knolltop

    I will certainly be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers while you are in wait mode--it's not an easy place to be.  Please keep us posted.

  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    knolltop said:

    Update

    Talked with my oncologist and I'm going to wait two months and go for another CT Chest Scan around July 14.    He also wanted me to schedule an appointment with aThoracic surgeon and take my old CT scan with me.

    After having the new scan and information I receive from the surgeon....I will take all it back to the oncologist to discuss.

    The spot may be two small for needle biopsy, not sure.

    So right about now...I'm still waiting in limbo.

    thanik you for all your comments.

     

    Knolltop

    That sounds like a good plan.  I hope you will find a thoracic surgeon that is able to do vats in case it came to having to remove the nodule or lobe.  I had vats and here almost 4 years later I am fine.  Actually, it will be better if it just dissapears like the one on my lower left lung did.  And yes it is too small for needle biopsy, as a lot of time they will get good tissue and not the nodule.  I think the waiting is the hardest part, but in any case if it is anything it will have been caught at the earliest stage possible. I wish you well and keep us posted. Lori

  • nicotianna
    nicotianna Member Posts: 209
    Options
    nodule in lung

    knolltop

    I have a 6mm x 8 mm nodule noted on a PET 6/2/14.  I was dx'd 7/13 w/AC 3b & rec'd the standard protocol of chemo & XRT.  Until this I was NED. I will see a thoracic surgeon on 6/10.  I am worried!  It could be a met, a new primary or nothing.  Nothing could be d/t (due to) aspiration.  I will keep you posted.

    nicotianna

  • mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

    nodule in lung

    knolltop

    I have a 6mm x 8 mm nodule noted on a PET 6/2/14.  I was dx'd 7/13 w/AC 3b & rec'd the standard protocol of chemo & XRT.  Until this I was NED. I will see a thoracic surgeon on 6/10.  I am worried!  It could be a met, a new primary or nothing.  Nothing could be d/t (due to) aspiration.  I will keep you posted.

    nicotianna

    nicotianna

    I so hope you will get good news on the 10th.  I understand your worry.  I hope you get answers and reassurance that this is nothing sinister.  Please keep us posted.

  • knolltop
    knolltop Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Nicotianna

    Dear Nicotianna:

    My cancer did Met to liver two years ago....thank goodness it was only one spot and I had a liver resection and 4 rounds of week long chemo.   I was NED for two years and now this spot on my lower right lobe shows up on CT scan in May.   Yes, it is scary and our minds can be so mean to us at times....especially at night in the quiet and still of bedtime.  But  my faith is  blessing me with inner peace amidst the time of tears.    Please keep us posted.   Know my prayers are with you.

    Knolltop 

     

  • knolltop
    knolltop Member Posts: 56
    Options
    VAT

    Hi Z

    Yes, I made sure he did VAT Procedures.   Thanks for all your support and info.

    Blessings, tory