hey Guzzle and thennies61

Options
ahollie
ahollie Member Posts: 84

yall are getting close to being finished with radiation right? been praying for yall...i am sure there are more but you two for some reason have been on my mind..my hunny finished friday and is on the way to recovery..odd to have 3 weeks off...before we have a dr appt...seems like we have lived there since January! touch base with us and let us know how yall are doing..and anyone else nearing end of treatment!

Comments

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    So thoughtful

Of you to think of us when you are in the eye of your own storm. Delighted for the old feller (slang for husband here no matter what the age!) and wishing him speedy recovery. IM on day 2 week 4 so about halfway. Just hooked up to my second cisplatin of three. Ive been lucky. Apart from sore throat no real side effects apart from that. Keep us updated on hubbys recovery. IM just being served a 3 course meal which is novel! The staff are determined to feed me. I have gone from 14 stone to 14 stone 7 pounds during treatment. So again Im lucky that if I drop s bit of weight I can get away with it.. 14 is about my ideal weight. Don't want to lose too much muscle. Let me know how quickly hubby gets active. Also just found a lowe alpine hiking hat with a fold out neck flap on amazon if you want to take him out in sun. All the best to you both from Liverpool, Gary

• Guzzle
    Options
    Guzzle said:

So thoughtful

Of you to think of us when you are in the eye of your own storm. Delighted for the old feller (slang for husband here no matter what the age!) and wishing him speedy recovery. IM on day 2 week 4 so about halfway. Just hooked up to my second cisplatin of three. Ive been lucky. Apart from sore throat no real side effects apart from that. Keep us updated on hubbys recovery. IM just being served a 3 course meal which is novel! The staff are determined to feed me. I have gone from 14 stone to 14 stone 7 pounds during treatment. So again Im lucky that if I drop s bit of weight I can get away with it.. 14 is about my ideal weight. Don't want to lose too much muscle. Let me know how quickly hubby gets active. Also just found a lowe alpine hiking hat with a fold out neck flap on amazon if you want to take him out in sun. All the best to you both from Liverpool, Gary

World Cup

Forgot to say soccer world cup starts soon from Brazil if hubby fancies trying a new sport. England are rubbish but do have a number of Liverpool players. My outside dark horse is Belgium! G.

• Guzzle
    Options
    Guzzle said:

World Cup

Forgot to say soccer world cup starts soon from Brazil if hubby fancies trying a new sport. England are rubbish but do have a number of Liverpool players. My outside dark horse is Belgium! G.

You are always on my mind....

Bored getting saline flush after cisplatin. Started singing the above song a linked it subconciously to you initial post. Just made me think how many thoughtful people there are in this virtual community. Ive organized to do an early news paper run fir all the elderly and infirm here as they don't come to the ward until mid morning so at least they will get papers with their breakfast tomorrow. Ive asked the nurses which ones don't have regular visits and asked my mum, wife and sister to bring them a little goody bag each with nice toileteries/biscuits etc. Ive also been coming up to the ward when I come in for rads to say hello. They get so well looked after here but sometimes a small personal gift helps. Ive dine charity events for cancer charities for over 20 years but I missed the obvious. I should give time as a volunteer visitor. And that what the caring people here do. Give precious time.G.

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Bored getting saline flush after cisplatin. Started singing the above song a linked it subconciously to you initial post. Just made me think how many thoughtful people there are in this virtual community. Ive organized to do an early news paper run fir all the elderly and infirm here as they don't come to the ward until mid morning so at least they will get papers with their breakfast tomorrow. Ive asked the nurses which ones don't have regular visits and asked my mum, wife and sister to bring them a little goody bag each with nice toileteries/biscuits etc. Ive also been coming up to the ward when I come in for rads to say hello. They get so well looked after here but sometimes a small personal gift helps. Ive dine charity events for cancer charities for over 20 years but I missed the obvious. I should give time as a volunteer visitor. And that what the caring people here do. Give precious time.G.

Treatment

Guzzle, I'm amazed at how well you are handling the treatment and still eating line a horse!   that's fantastic and I hope it continues.  

Good of luck with the rest if week 4...  It will be good to get another one under your belt. 

Keith

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options
    Guzzle said:

World Cup

Glad things are going well Gary, Cisplatin can be a bugger for a lot of people but you seem to be getting through it OK. For those that don't know what a "stone" is with regards to your weight, there are 14 lbs in a stone, so Gary is 203lbs. How cool of you and your family to do that for the patients in the ward. Watched Liverpool on the telly this past weekend, so Manchester City win the league. Looking forward to the World Cup, England no chance huh?

• Guzzle
    Options
    denistd said:

World Cup

Glad things are going well Gary, Cisplatin can be a bugger for a lot of people but you seem to be getting through it OK. For those that don't know what a "stone" is with regards to your weight, there are 14 lbs in a stone, so Gary is 203lbs. How cool of you and your family to do that for the patients in the ward. Watched Liverpool on the telly this past weekend, so Manchester City win the league. Looking forward to the World Cup, England no chance huh?

Your responses

Demonstrate what I said about people on this site. Keith (Teenage Dirtbag!) Ive just been lucky so far. Wont get complacent! Ive taken heed of the wise words on this site so every day I don't feel like sh*t is a gift. Just had to start taking some soluable co codemol before meals. But ate three courses for lunch and dinner. And a Bakewell Tart with a cuppa for supper! Lets see how this Cisplatin hits me. They put you on hydration drips 4 hours prior/post here as well as asking you to drink and they monitor your 'output' to protect kidneys. So as well as eating like a race horse Im pi**ing like one so lying awake. Denis (Den Zeppelin!) its a small thing to do. Couldn't imagine this without support. Good way to spend a few hundred quid. I texted my brother today and mentioned in passing Id forgotten my headphones. He was stuck in court presenting a case. Without telling me he sent his PA ti get a set and drive 25 miles to deliver them. Most people are so kind. So treating a few of our senior citizens when you get the chance is a privelidge. Many of themare veterans. I will even buy the Sun newspaper for the first time ever. If you understand this disgusting rags misreporting if the Hillsborough disaster you will understand why. But if an old gentleman enjoys uts crossword with brekky he shall have it. West Ham staying up but I think they will sack Allardyce. Liverpool played the most attractive football but City played the most effective and consistent. Interestingly they have just been fined 50 million by UEFA for breaching financial fair play rules with money from their Arab owners. This will who they can sign and they mat have to offload playing staff. Chelsea and Utd will smell blood and spend big. Im hoping Fenway Group will have some money left over from the Red Sox to do the same! England have no chance in world cup. Most LFC fans would be more likely to follow Ireland , Scotland or Wales who aren't there. That said England have picked a young team with a lot of Liverpool players. Always like to see USA do well as it is a minority sport over there. My tip for a dark horse are Belgium. Brazil look weak by their standards but have home advantage. Germany and Spain will be up their. Have we converted Keith yet?

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Hi ahollie
    Thanks for the

Hi ahollie

Thanks for the thoughts.Just finished up radiation yesterday.Have 3 more treatments of erbituz and all done and start to heal.Yes it does seem like you live there and get to know everyone.My biggest thing right now is the radiation burns on my chin and back of neck.Thought it was the drug but was told it wasn't.Got some cream called miaderm so want to see how that works.So far so good it stopped the itching anyway.Haven't been able to eat much except for pudding as my throat has swollen alittle and harder to get anything down but that should clear up soon.Waiting for friday when they finally remove my trach tube.Was told should help with swollowing and eating once it is gone.Stay positive and smile it will only get better.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options

Hi ahollie
    Thanks for the

Hi ahollie

Thanks for the thoughts.Just finished up radiation yesterday.Have 3 more treatments of erbituz and all done and start to heal.Yes it does seem like you live there and get to know everyone.My biggest thing right now is the radiation burns on my chin and back of neck.Thought it was the drug but was told it wasn't.Got some cream called miaderm so want to see how that works.So far so good it stopped the itching anyway.Haven't been able to eat much except for pudding as my throat has swollen alittle and harder to get anything down but that should clear up soon.Waiting for friday when they finally remove my trach tube.Was told should help with swollowing and eating once it is gone.Stay positive and smile it will only get better.

thennies61, CONGRATS on

thennies61, CONGRATS on finishing rads!!!  that's a big step.  3 more tx and you're completely thru the tunnel!  the eating will happen again it will just take a little time. you are well on your way now, enjoy.  can't wait for you to be done with the erbituz too!  i know you will feel like a million bucks when you get rid of the trach.  that would be the biggest thing to me.  well, just wanted to say i'm so happy for you and all the milestones you are passing.  keep up the good work.

dj

• Guzzle
    Options

thennies61, CONGRATS on

thennies61, CONGRATS on finishing rads!!!  that's a big step.  3 more tx and you're completely thru the tunnel!  the eating will happen again it will just take a little time. you are well on your way now, enjoy.  can't wait for you to be done with the erbituz too!  i know you will feel like a million bucks when you get rid of the trach.  that would be the biggest thing to me.  well, just wanted to say i'm so happy for you and all the milestones you are passing.  keep up the good work.

dj

Seconded

YEAH WELL DONE BUDDY!

• Guzzle
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Seconded

YEAH WELL DONE BUDDY!

Hicups

Back in own bed and Cisplatin seems to have given me hicups (could be the curry Ive just munched) Any one experienced this minor hicup. I am drinking more (water!) with each meal and taking soluable cocodemol. Ive just also started to experiment with gelclair which lines the mouth etc. Any experience would be appreciated. Back again tomorrow at 0900 for rads and to deliver the newspapers to my pensioners. G.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Hicups

Back in own bed and Cisplatin seems to have given me hicups (could be the curry Ive just munched) Any one experienced this minor hicup. I am drinking more (water!) with each meal and taking soluable cocodemol. Ive just also started to experiment with gelclair which lines the mouth etc. Any experience would be appreciated. Back again tomorrow at 0900 for rads and to deliver the newspapers to my pensioners. G.

just gotta say....

You are going to be the poster bloke for eating like a madman through it all. I can not recollect a single person who GAINED weight durring chemo-rads. Race ain't over yet but I rooting for you. Having a few extra will be nice to work off once you get into recovery.

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options
    donfoo said:

just gotta say....

You are going to be the poster bloke for eating like a madman through it all. I can not recollect a single person who GAINED weight durring chemo-rads. Race ain't over yet but I rooting for you. Having a few extra will be nice to work off once you get into recovery.

Hiccups

Absolutely, every time I had the cisplatin I got a bad case of the hiccups, didn't last long. I know that was subject on here before with quite a few people having this side effect. You know Gary, I haven't had an Indian Curry in 40 years, what do they call the bread? We do not see much Indian food here. If I had tried curry 5 weeks into rads I would have had to call the fire brigade.

• Guzzle
    Options
    denistd said:

Hiccups

Absolutely, every time I had the cisplatin I got a bad case of the hiccups, didn't last long. I know that was subject on here before with quite a few people having this side effect. You know Gary, I haven't had an Indian Curry in 40 years, what do they call the bread? We do not see much Indian food here. If I had tried curry 5 weeks into rads I would have had to call the fire brigade.

only week 4...

So plenty of time to lose weight yet guys. Taste buds still ok. Again early days. Denis the bread is called Naan bread. It is unleavened and you can get plain, garlic, keema (lamb mince) or peshwari (raisin and nut). Brick Lane and the East End are the big areas in your old stamping ground but as you know v. Widespread. I think are common in Florida because of Brit ex pats and certainly NYC. Most India restaraunts are actually Pakistani or Bangladeshi. Tonsil Dad recently posted eating a Vindaloo in Florida which is hard core! He is from Manchester though which has a big curry heartland. Speak soon guys and Don how are the curry where you are mate?

• donfoo
    Options
    Guzzle said:

only week 4...

So plenty of time to lose weight yet guys. Taste buds still ok. Again early days. Denis the bread is called Naan bread. It is unleavened and you can get plain, garlic, keema (lamb mince) or peshwari (raisin and nut). Brick Lane and the East End are the big areas in your old stamping ground but as you know v. Widespread. I think are common in Florida because of Brit ex pats and certainly NYC. Most India restaraunts are actually Pakistani or Bangladeshi. Tonsil Dad recently posted eating a Vindaloo in Florida which is hard core! He is from Manchester though which has a big curry heartland. Speak soon guys and Don how are the curry where you are mate?

Indian - pick your region

Speak soon guys and Don how are the curry where you are mate?

Guzzle,

Living in the SF Bay Area is a blessing when coming to international cuisine. Everything from Burmese, Nepali, Ethiopian, Russian and everywhere in between. Hundreds of excellent Indian places specializing from North to South. True, some off **** as Indian and it does get a bit less clear but the menus give it away (Saag vs Palak). All the northern stuff is Punjabi, the country distinction is not the best. Southern is pretty varied as well but there are authentic shops with dosa and more coconut and hotter dishes. Tandoori is on all menus even thgough Punjabi. There are special chaat shops too. Wondeful stuff. Not found many Sri Lankan (not India really) or Kerala style.

As you know Indian engineers and business folks are a very eager bunch and Silicon Valley draws many here and along comes the food.  Funny is my love of Hyderabadi biriyani and can find excellent options in both Pak and Indian shops.

India is my favorite too and I am so trilled my taste buds are back 95%. The last 5% is I can just not take the hottest anymore. My head rarely sweat and my mouth never caught fire. The new "normal" has me with a napkin in one hand wiping sweat off my head and mouth fires if not careful. :-)

• Guzzle
    Options
    donfoo said:

Indian - pick your region

Speak soon guys and Don how are the curry where you are mate?

Guzzle,

Living in the SF Bay Area is a blessing when coming to international cuisine. Everything from Burmese, Nepali, Ethiopian, Russian and everywhere in between. Hundreds of excellent Indian places specializing from North to South. True, some off **** as Indian and it does get a bit less clear but the menus give it away (Saag vs Palak). All the northern stuff is Punjabi, the country distinction is not the best. Southern is pretty varied as well but there are authentic shops with dosa and more coconut and hotter dishes. Tandoori is on all menus even thgough Punjabi. There are special chaat shops too. Wondeful stuff. Not found many Sri Lankan (not India really) or Kerala style.

As you know Indian engineers and business folks are a very eager bunch and Silicon Valley draws many here and along comes the food.  Funny is my love of Hyderabadi biriyani and can find excellent options in both Pak and Indian shops.

India is my favorite too and I am so trilled my taste buds are back 95%. The last 5% is I can just not take the hottest anymore. My head rarely sweat and my mouth never caught fire. The new "normal" has me with a napkin in one hand wiping sweat off my head and mouth fires if not careful. :-)

Nepali

Don,You are blessed. We have a local Nepali and Keralan. Liverpool is a very cosmopolitan port city as well. UK has long historical links with that part of Asia although Liverpool more known for links with China,Africa, Caribbean and of Course Ireland /East Coast USA. Never actually made it to west coast but been east many times. Have travelled extensively in India and cuisine v. Different. Indian etc communities been here that long that a distinct sub cuisine has developed with many unique dishes such as balti from Birmingham. Often more highly spiced and more meat/fish used. Liverpool has the oldest UK Chinese community with Chinese gates and a Chinatown. We have many Indian type restaraunts but not as Many as Manchester! I am glad to hear from you and tonsil dad that you got your spice buds back although I had a curry last night (not too mad). Just have to find s curry house for Denis! Denis forgot to mention the table or family naan for sharing! All are cooked inside the tandoor (oven). I have a tandoor/pizza oven in the garden. Great for barbies! Isn't it good to talk about other things occasionally on this sight . Gives you a snapshot into each others lives. Denis if you come over to visit your family I will meet you and take you for a curry. (or the in fact you Don!). UK ain't that big! Takes me two hours to London on train! You wouldn't want to take your car there. G.

• Guzzle
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Nepali

Don,You are blessed. We have a local Nepali and Keralan. Liverpool is a very cosmopolitan port city as well. UK has long historical links with that part of Asia although Liverpool more known for links with China,Africa, Caribbean and of Course Ireland /East Coast USA. Never actually made it to west coast but been east many times. Have travelled extensively in India and cuisine v. Different. Indian etc communities been here that long that a distinct sub cuisine has developed with many unique dishes such as balti from Birmingham. Often more highly spiced and more meat/fish used. Liverpool has the oldest UK Chinese community with Chinese gates and a Chinatown. We have many Indian type restaraunts but not as Many as Manchester! I am glad to hear from you and tonsil dad that you got your spice buds back although I had a curry last night (not too mad). Just have to find s curry house for Denis! Denis forgot to mention the table or family naan for sharing! All are cooked inside the tandoor (oven). I have a tandoor/pizza oven in the garden. Great for barbies! Isn't it good to talk about other things occasionally on this sight . Gives you a snapshot into each others lives. Denis if you come over to visit your family I will meet you and take you for a curry. (or the in fact you Don!). UK ain't that big! Takes me two hours to London on train! You wouldn't want to take your car there. G.

Keralan

Don forgot it you find Keralan try duck curry! You get Kingfisher or Cobra Indian beer?

• jen69
    jen69 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    help i cant figure out how to

help i cant figure out how to work this but woulld like to talk with someone cant get on chat

• Guzzle
    Options
    jen69 said:

help i cant figure out how to

help i cant figure out how to work this but woulld like to talk with someone cant get on chat

Jen

Jen you can say any thing you want here. We are all friends!

• thennies61
    thennies61 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Jen

Jen you can say any thing you want here. We are all friends!

doctor vist

Well got back from the doctor.He said everything is healing very good so glad of that.The only down side is he didn't pull my trach.He wants me to to keep it capped all the time and not to use the sucken machine.He wants me now to start to cough up any mucus.And come back next month and then he will pull it.He also said to start eating as much as I can.

• donfoo
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Keralan

Don forgot it you find Keralan try duck curry! You get Kingfisher or Cobra Indian beer?

and Taj Mahal too

Not seen as much cobra as the others. Honestly, the food is far better than the drink. You got plenty of good stuff in your backyard. However, the past decades the USA micros are at least as good if not certainly far more creative in varietals. I'm still waiting for more natural keg carbonated and hand pulled places to show up. Must be just lack of knowledge as plenty of the micros brew onsite and could easily offer up off the barrel. May be there are some regulations or some block making this more difficult.