What Else Can I Take For Sleep???

Options
MichelleLynn
MichelleLynn Member Posts: 17

Hi, everyone!

So I have been having hot flashes and serious insomnia for a bit. I believe it's the Tamoxifen. I told the doctor about it and was prescribed Effixor.  I took it last night, but felt really weird - dizzy and just off.  I know that you have to get it into your system before it really works and I understand that. I am working right now and I'm just not sure if I want to endure all of that right now and wonder if I should suck it up and deal with it or if there is something else I could do for the lack of sleep.  I saw the clock every hour last night (not lying!).  Usually, I wake up every 2 hours or so.  It's just annoying.  I would like some good sleep.  I am scared to take anything that might mess up the Tamoxifen and/or the Zometa injections....just being cautious. 

Thank you in advance!!

Comments

• McMarty
    McMarty Member Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Of course you should let your

Of course you should let your Dr know you don't like the Effixor and see if he has any other idea.  I take Benedryl to sleep.   It's simple but it works for me.  Sometimes when I am desperate and my mind won't hush I take an Adivan but that is rare.

I hope you get some sleep soon!  I know how miserable that feels.

• As silly as this may sound...

I found myself in a rather contemplative and reflective place when hot flashes and insomnia came to my world.  

I drew on what was true for my mother and my mother's mother...yep, what would grandma's wisdom be on this?  I tossed in the gauntlet and spent the last couple of hours before bedtime unplugged, no television nor computer and relaxed with a soothing mug of warm milk.  

The de-stressing worked for me.  

Best wishes.

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Ambien or Melatonin

When I was on Taxol coild not sleep at all.  Chemo Dr. gave me a script for a sleeping pill - it was horrible (don't remember which one) - only work for a couple/few hours and gave me BAD nightmares (something I never have).  I called my PA and she gave me the lowest dose of Ambien and it worked great for me.  Now, I occasionally take Melatonin at my PA's suggestion.  I'm on Femara/letrozole, not Tamox.

Winyan- The Power Within

Susan

• telecomjd
    telecomjd Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Benadryl

I used Benadryl when i couldn't sleep during chemo.  It worked well enough.

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    telecomjd said:

Benadryl

I used Benadryl when i couldn't sleep during chemo.  It worked well enough.

You need your sleep.  Ask

You need your sleep.  Ask your doctor for a sleeping pill or maybe Ativan.  I am sure he can help you.

Good luck,

Diane

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I stay up late, go to bed

I stay up late, go to bed early..nothing helps me..*but on tamoxifen..Drs say not side effects..I hopefully go off it in Aug then i'll see if it does effect my sleep..

I can pass out but get up 3-4-5 x each night

Denise

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I take ativan
    It normally works suts down my brain. I got decadron today so the ativan calms me but does not work on Thurs or Friday, BUT it works the other 5 nights pretty well.
  • JJDS
    JJDS Member Posts: 258
    Options

As silly as this may sound...

I found myself in a rather contemplative and reflective place when hot flashes and insomnia came to my world.  

I drew on what was true for my mother and my mother's mother...yep, what would grandma's wisdom be on this?  I tossed in the gauntlet and spent the last couple of hours before bedtime unplugged, no television nor computer and relaxed with a soothing mug of warm milk.  

The de-stressing worked for me.  

Best wishes.

I take Trazodone, it's a

I take Trazodone, it's a prescription, and it helps me to get a good nights sleep.  Good luck!