Looks like its back

lewvino
lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
Just got home from my post three year checkup. Actually 38 months. PSA came back at .2 History is Davinci Surgery in Aug 2009
Gleason Pre surgery 4+3 7
Post surgery 3+4
Positive Margin Noted in surgery.

Doctors plan is to wait 3 months and retest psa on Jan 21.

Any positive comments are welcome

lewvino

Comments

• havit2
    havit2 Member Posts: 21
    Will keep you in my prayers
    You were one of the first to welcome me to this site as you have done with so many others. My thoughts and prayers are with you
  • havit2
    havit2 Member Posts: 21
    Will keep you in my prayers
    You were one of the first to welcome me to this site as you have done with so many others. My thoughts and prayers are with you
  • cchqnetman
    cchqnetman Member Posts: 119
    Best of luck
    It is interesting how a common problem will bind people together. I am relatively new to this board but feel like I know you and a few of the other folks who post here and offer advice. Hopefully the second bullet will get the beast this time.

Best of luck! We need you on this board!

David
  • lewvino

Best of luck
    It is interesting how a common problem will bind people together. I am relatively new to this board but feel like I know you and a few of the other folks who post here and offer advice. Hopefully the second bullet will get the beast this time.

Best of luck! We need you on this board!

David

I have appreciated help
    I have appreciated help others gave me in the past when I was diagnosed and that is why I have stuck around on the forum for three years. I don't always post but I do read the posts frequently. At any rate I'm keeping my chin up and waiting till January to see what the next PSA read will be.

lewvino
  • starr15
    starr15 Member Posts: 32 Member
    lewvino said:

I have appreciated help
    I have appreciated help others gave me in the past when I was diagnosed and that is why I have stuck around on the forum for three years. I don't always post but I do read the posts frequently. At any rate I'm keeping my chin up and waiting till January to see what the next PSA read will be.

lewvino

With positive margins, did
    With positive margins, did you have radiation treatment?
  • starr15
    starr15 Member Posts: 32 Member
    lewvino said:

I have appreciated help

lewvino

Duplicate.

Duplicate.
  • caseyh
    caseyh Member Posts: 63
    Stay Positive
    Your history is not unlike mine. I was 4+3 after surgery, but without any indication of capsule penetration. My recurrence was also .2, but after 2 years not 3. I am now 10 years post recurrence and we have been able to keep it pretty much under control. This is a funny disease. It stresses the heck out of you and consumes much of your life, but it is manageable for most of us. I've known a number of people who were in good health when I was diagnosed that are no longer with us. Your odds for the future are excellent. Stay positive.
  • BRONX52
    BRONX52 Member Posts: 156
    lewvino said:

I have appreciated help

lewvino

Sorry to hear about the
    Sorry to hear about the change in status but I am sure you'll come out ok. As you know, we both had similar stats and I too am waiting on results from the lab. Just keeping my fingers crossed for both of us. Take care ---Dan
  • hunter49
    hunter49 Member Posts: 240 Member
    when was your last PSA and
    when was your last PSA and what was the number??
  • lewvino
    hunter49 said:

when was your last PSA and
    when was your last PSA and what was the number??

Answer to the questions
    Answer to the questions asked -

My primary Treatment was davinci surgery in Aug 2009 at Vanderbilt. Positive margin noted.

PSA history - checked every three months, then every six then once a year.

All PSA's have been 0

The last test was done in October of 2011.

So only a .2 rise in the last year.

No radiation treatments so far.

Lewvino
  • Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166 Member
    lewvino said:

Answer to the questions

My primary Treatment was davinci surgery in Aug 2009 at Vanderbilt. Positive margin noted.

All PSA's have been 0

Lewvino

Dang!
    Larry,

I'm so sorry to read of this development. You already know the standard responses to a developing situation like this and you have the background to know your options.

My only question at this point is why are you waiting for three months to see what the PSA is doing? Unless the PSA test was a fluke or a lab error you know that waiting three months is not going to change anything. I know it's easier to give advice than to follow it but I do hope you get a second opinion on the way ahead.

Best of luck as you sort through this. You are in my thoughts.

K
  • steckley
    steckley Member Posts: 100
    Sorry to hear about the rise
    Sorry to hear about the rise in your PSA. Please keep us informed. You're a good man. Best wishes as you go forward.
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    lewvino said:

Answer to the questions

All PSA's have been 0

Lewvino

I am very sorry
    for this number.

Is it possible to have another psa test now to confirm or not confirm these results

My thoughts and prayers are with you
  • Samsungtech1
    Samsungtech1 Member Posts: 351
    lewvino said:

Answer to the questions

All PSA's have been 0

Lewvino

Diet
    Lewvino,
    I know you know what you are doing so willnot go there, but what about your diet? Do not want to second guess you because I know you are ahead of the curve. The raise is not great, but a rise is worrisome. There are plenty of other reasons that can cause a rise. Sometimes we do things that is a daily thing and do not even think about it. Personally my HT treatments are wiping my memory clean. Could be dementia but it does not act that way.

If your memory still works think back and see if you changed things in your diet.

I wish you well.

Good luck,

Mike
  • mrspjd
    mrspjd Member Posts: 694 Member
    steckley said:

Sorry to hear about the rise
    Sorry to hear about the rise in your PSA. Please keep us informed. You're a good man. Best wishes as you go forward.

Agreed: "a good man"
    Hi Larry, 

To me, you will always be the unofficial CSN welcoming committee of one!  Not trying to speak for the group but I think its safe to say that many of us here have you to thank for graciously welcoming us to this forum with realistic hope, even though none of us, man or woman, wanted to be a part of this PCa community.  From day one, when I first posted about my husband's T3 stage PCa dx, you have been open minded & impartial in your acceptance of ALL posters, no matter their gender or cancer status.  That respect has been non-judgmental and without bias. Thank you for that.

Do you remember how we both agreed that we were the "worriers!"  From one worrier (me-who has perfected worrying into a fine art) to another (YOU), things will work out with your PSA--Post Surgery Anxiety ;) as well as with your other PSA--Prostate Specific Antigen blood work results.  For some, remember that today PCa can be tx'd as a chronic disease much like other chronic diseases such as diabetes.

One suggestion I might offer is to schedule your next PSA testing in 45 days, & another 45 days later, rather than wait 90 days for the next test.  Look for trends in measuring amount & velocity of rise from three results (rather than two).  Its still early, but be proactive & research which imaging tests, if any, might be best, if necessary. Those tests results may help in evaluating your options & deciding what comes next. Be flexible, have a Plan B, should one be necessary, and try to stay focused on the "now"--the present moment, as much as possible.

Most importantly, be well.  

mrs pjd
  • laserlight
    laserlight Member Posts: 165
    mrspjd said:

Agreed: "a good man"
    Hi Larry, 

To me, you will always be the unofficial CSN welcoming committee of one!  Not trying to speak for the group but I think its safe to say that many of us here have you to thank for graciously welcoming us to this forum with realistic hope, even though none of us, man or woman, wanted to be a part of this PCa community.  From day one, when I first posted about my husband's T3 stage PCa dx, you have been open minded & impartial in your acceptance of ALL posters, no matter their gender or cancer status.  That respect has been non-judgmental and without bias. Thank you for that.

Do you remember how we both agreed that we were the "worriers!"  From one worrier (me-who has perfected worrying into a fine art) to another (YOU), things will work out with your PSA--Post Surgery Anxiety ;) as well as with your other PSA--Prostate Specific Antigen blood work results.  For some, remember that today PCa can be tx'd as a chronic disease much like other chronic diseases such as diabetes.

One suggestion I might offer is to schedule your next PSA testing in 45 days, & another 45 days later, rather than wait 90 days for the next test.  Look for trends in measuring amount & velocity of rise from three results (rather than two).  Its still early, but be proactive & research which imaging tests, if any, might be best, if necessary. Those tests results may help in evaluating your options & deciding what comes next. Be flexible, have a Plan B, should one be necessary, and try to stay focused on the "now"--the present moment, as much as possible.

Most importantly, be well.  

mrs pjd

Hang in there
    Lew, hang in there, donot let this get you down, keep up the fight. We are here to support you.

Kurt
  • hunter49
    hunter49 Member Posts: 240 Member
    lewvino said:

Answer to the questions

All PSA's have been 0

Lewvino

Lew it is not fast growing
    Lew it is not fast growing which is obviously good. Hopkins is doing great work with vaccines on a reoccurence, you may want to look into it. I have contact there if you are interested. Told him about your situation and believes it will respond very favorably to treatment. You a good guy and were great help to me let me know if I can help you.
  • Gmad
    Gmad Member Posts: 8 Member
    I'm sorry
    I'm sorry it's back. There is so much more that can be done now. Fight...fight..fight!
    Hugs
    Diane
  • newporter
    newporter Member Posts: 5
    Sorry To Hear Its Back
    Sorry to hear that. Your case could be a slow rise so, perhaps you could try take some diet supplements if you have not already done so. Two studies one from UCLA and the other from Johns Hopkins both indicated pomegranate juice slowed PSADT and perhaps prolong time to full blown met so you can delay taking hormone.

Good luck.
  • garrho
    garrho Member Posts: 5

Diet
    Lewvino,
    I know you know what you are doing so willnot go there, but what about your diet? Do not want to second guess you because I know you are ahead of the curve. The raise is not great, but a rise is worrisome. There are plenty of other reasons that can cause a rise. Sometimes we do things that is a daily thing and do not even think about it. Personally my HT treatments are wiping my memory clean. Could be dementia but it does not act that way.

If your memory still works think back and see if you changed things in your diet.

I wish you well.

Good luck,

Mike

Choices...
    Hi Mike...I having rising PSA's 11 years after surgery and must a choice between hormone or radiation therapy..any opinions or side effects of your HT....Thanks..Gary