Pet scan results not so good, it may be time to fight again

Options
I have been very hesitant to post this because i hate bad news. But here goes i got my 3 month pets results on monday they showed no signs of cancer in my throat (original dx with tonsil stage iv with lympnodes). They did however find a spot on my lung about the size of a dime i have a biopsy scheduled for next thursday.
In truth I'm very anxious,sad,afraid,mad,determined,tired. I was really hoping to be finished and continue to heal up and figure out my new normal .
I wondering can this be beat of am i screwed? I have read that when it spreads the lungs the prognosses is not very good. I know you guys can't answer wether or not I will do well.
I went to the lung cancer forum and did some reading, scary stuff.
i just had to let you guys know, you all feel like family to me.
«1

Comments

  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
    Options
    keep the faith
    Hi Nick,

    Remember these first scans pick up hot spots that are nothing. I will be hoping for you that this is one of those times.

    Prayers to you,

    Matt
  • blackswampboy
    blackswampboy Member Posts: 341
    Options
    best wishes
    for a veteran warrior such as yourself, mad and determined are good. the tired, sad...will pass, and you'll turn that mad/determined back into fight.
    you can beat it!
    p.s. might be a good idea to stay away from scary stuff on the lung cancer forums.
  • boardwalkgirl
    boardwalkgirl Member Posts: 269
    Options
    I havven't had mine yet but
    I havven't had mine yet but they warned me about hot spots, they said if there was any infection or inflammation it could show up. So until we hear otherwise, I am thinking positive that it is nothing. Try to stay positive and I will be praying for you.
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Oh Nick....I am so sorry.....dammit....
    We just got thru this battle...of course you're anxious, sad, afraid, mad, determined and tired....WTH, we're just babies in the recovery aspect. Here's what I'd be telling myself...that this is the first PET after treatment (the PET that can easily have false positives)...that many things light up, I know that there can spots in the lung that are NOT cancer...I'd be clinging to "it's not cancer till somebody says it is!!"...I'm tucking you into my pocket now, get some of those prayers and positive Mojo going early...

    If I have it my way, nobody from our bus is getting back on any buses....

    p
  • Hard12Find
    Hard12Find Member Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Nick,, so sorry to hear
    Nick,, so sorry to hear that....we are all here for you, and will be praying it was a nothing hotspot.
    Jim
  • NoDuck
    NoDuck Member Posts: 134
    Options
    My Favorite Saying
    I picked it up from this site -- It ain't cancer til they say it's cancer.

    I have been wondering how you were doing. You and my husband have same diagnosis and I think same treatment, you're about 20 years younger though. I remember reading your posts and being impressed how well you were doing.

    Prayers for no cancer and prayers for strength and healing. You've still got a lot of fight in you. Just reach down deep and grab it.

    Deb
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    to address the question you directly asked Nick
    your primary was HPV 16 positive. If you have an isolated lung metastasis, you still have a chance of cure. All you can do is put one foot in front of the other and keep a positive attitude. Best of fortune to you, my friend.

    Pat
  • nick770
    nick770 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks guys, and yes you are
    Thanks guys, and yes you are correct i was HPV+.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Keep The Faith Nick...
    Like mentioned bro, it's not cancer until they tell you that it is... So get those thoughts out of your head.

    Nothing but positive thoughts Nick....

    You definitely have my prayers, and hopes that it isn't anything serious.
    John
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Holding only good thoughts for you, Nick.
    Once more -

    It aint cancer till they say its cancer...

    Stay strong, and believe.

    Deb
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Even more good thoughts!
    :) Keep hanging in there...

    Deb
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Extra good thoughts coming your way
    I swear I only hit the send button ONCE...

    Deb
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    Hoping for False Positives
    Hope you're in the majority here - seems like (thank goodness) the majority of folks here who have suspicious spots in/on lungs turn out to NOT have cancer there. Wish I could tell you what to do for the next week (more than a week - do you know when you'll get results?) to keep you from losing your mind.
  • nick770
    nick770 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Pam M said:

    Hoping for False Positives
    Hope you're in the majority here - seems like (thank goodness) the majority of folks here who have suspicious spots in/on lungs turn out to NOT have cancer there. Wish I could tell you what to do for the next week (more than a week - do you know when you'll get results?) to keep you from losing your mind.

    Pam, my once said it takes
    Pam, my onco said it takes 48 hours for results since it's on a Thursday, i imagine I find out the following monday.

    And I know it's not C until they say s but dang if the thoughts are running throughout my mind, i trying super hard to be positive and enjoy every minute i can with my family and "grab happy" (one of the members here said that....Great saying).
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    nick770 said:

    Pam, my once said it takes
    Pam, my onco said it takes 48 hours for results since it's on a Thursday, i imagine I find out the following monday.

    And I know it's not C until they say s but dang if the thoughts are running throughout my mind, i trying super hard to be positive and enjoy every minute i can with my family and "grab happy" (one of the members here said that....Great saying).

    Hi Nick...
    I wish there was something magical here I could say to make you not worry...the fear and stress from what your PET/CT revealed is so normal. When I scan thru the posts on this board and recalling what all I have seen and read, so many were falst positives. And with HPV+ 16 you do have an opportunity for cure (note the word cure) IF it even is cancer.

    I consider you and all the others family on this site...I know it does not help you not be worried / afraid / angery or sad. I just hate you have to go several days with your mind racing ..stay busy my friend, do some things with your family...but I know easier said than done to get this out of your mind.

    I only have prayer to offer other than I care, so hang in there and just keep pushing forward ....

    I did not just whisper a prayer before I hit the post comment button, I stopped, bowed my head and asked the good Lord to give you a clean biopsy.

    Best,

    Tim

    Now I hit post comment
  • nick770
    nick770 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Tim6003 said:

    Hi Nick...
    I wish there was something magical here I could say to make you not worry...the fear and stress from what your PET/CT revealed is so normal. When I scan thru the posts on this board and recalling what all I have seen and read, so many were falst positives. And with HPV+ 16 you do have an opportunity for cure (note the word cure) IF it even is cancer.

    I consider you and all the others family on this site...I know it does not help you not be worried / afraid / angery or sad. I just hate you have to go several days with your mind racing ..stay busy my friend, do some things with your family...but I know easier said than done to get this out of your mind.

    I only have prayer to offer other than I care, so hang in there and just keep pushing forward ....

    I did not just whisper a prayer before I hit the post comment button, I stopped, bowed my head and asked the good Lord to give you a clean biopsy.

    Best,

    Tim

    Now I hit post comment

    Thanks Tim, I'll take your
    Thanks Tim, I'll take your advice and try to stay busy....i spent most of the last two days in bed like a lump on the log. Tomorrow I'll make it a point to get up and get out. Thanks for your prayers.
  • KareGiver
    KareGiver Member Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Tim6003 said:

    Hi Nick...
    I wish there was something magical here I could say to make you not worry...the fear and stress from what your PET/CT revealed is so normal. When I scan thru the posts on this board and recalling what all I have seen and read, so many were falst positives. And with HPV+ 16 you do have an opportunity for cure (note the word cure) IF it even is cancer.

    I consider you and all the others family on this site...I know it does not help you not be worried / afraid / angery or sad. I just hate you have to go several days with your mind racing ..stay busy my friend, do some things with your family...but I know easier said than done to get this out of your mind.

    I only have prayer to offer other than I care, so hang in there and just keep pushing forward ....

    I did not just whisper a prayer before I hit the post comment button, I stopped, bowed my head and asked the good Lord to give you a clean biopsy.

    Best,

    Tim

    Now I hit post comment

    Dear Nick
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers...
  • carolinagirl67
    carolinagirl67 Member Posts: 153
    Options
    NICK
    Remember you don't have lung cancer you probably still have the original that is mets. It is not horrible news but a set back. Many people were successful beating with more chemo and it was not as bad as having the rads with chemo. So pull yourself up and you can beat this. Good luck! My husbands spread to the liver which was his demise, but that is not you!!
  • Tonsil Dad
    Tonsil Dad Member Posts: 488
    Options

    NICK
    Remember you don't have lung cancer you probably still have the original that is mets. It is not horrible news but a set back. Many people were successful beating with more chemo and it was not as bad as having the rads with chemo. So pull yourself up and you can beat this. Good luck! My husbands spread to the liver which was his demise, but that is not you!!

    Faith.
    Stay true to your faith Nick and believe that its not what
    you think. The mind is a very powerful thing. It must be
    hard but stay positive, as the posts say it ain't C until they
    say it is.

    God bless
    Tonsil dad,

    Dan.
  • hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options

    NICK
    Remember you don't have lung cancer you probably still have the original that is mets. It is not horrible news but a set back. Many people were successful beating with more chemo and it was not as bad as having the rads with chemo. So pull yourself up and you can beat this. Good luck! My husbands spread to the liver which was his demise, but that is not you!!

    Nick
    Don't ever assume something about tests. Wait until you get the actual results and then move like heck to get it cured. You can do this! Stay focused on your fight and we are all behind you.
    All the best
    Steve