Judy's Don - recurrence

Options
Freida
Freida Member Posts: 182
edited August 2012 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone
Yesterday Don had dialysis and at about 1 a.m this morning, he had a CT scan (it was the first time he had been able to hold down the contrast so they could do it). Today they got the sad news that he does have a recurrence. As he is so weak from the last month, they are unable to do chemo as his body could not tolerate it. They have given him maybe 2 weeks, possibly less if he does not have any more dialysis.

Don and Judy have made the decision to go home and are waiting for some machinery to arrive. Hospice has been called in and already has a bed at the house for him. Their daughter is there with them.

Judy asked me to update you here, but for those on facebook, please don't post anything there at this time. Not all of the family has the news yet, so Judy is avoiding posting anything right now.

Love and hugs to everyone
Hearbroken
Freida xx

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry to hear this
    This is the news we have all feared was coming for the last couple of weeks. I am so very sad to hear this. Judy and Don are such a wonderful couple and they had such high hopes as they headed off for Sturgis just a few weeks ago. There is really nothing to say that can communicate the disappointment and sadness this news brings.

Thank you Freida for keeping us up to date. May God support Judy and Don and their family during this difficult time.

With Great Sadness,

Paul Adams,
    Grand Blanc, Michigan
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    Duplicate
    Sorry Duplicate
  • Amjosmom
    Amjosmom Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Heartbreaking.
    Another punch in the guts. So sad to hear this news. Judy and Don, I'm so very sorry.

Prayers for peace and comfort for you and your family.

~Jayme
  • Amjosmom
    Amjosmom Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Double post.

Double post.
  • bingbing2009
    bingbing2009 Member Posts: 177
    Options
    So sad
    I have never hated so much to read this news. Judy and Don truly seem like "family" and this just simply breaks my heart. I realize we were all afraid of this, but to actually read it is still shocking.

I am glad they are going home, since this is what Don really wanted.

May God give them strength during this difficult time.

FEC, FEC, FEC,
    Melinda

DX October 2009: T3N1M0
    November and December 2009: chemo (Cisplatin and 5 FU) and radiation
    February 2010: Ivor Lewis surgery
  • stephikindred
    stephikindred Member Posts: 140
    Options
    FEC!!!!
    I am heartbroken for them. What a sad day this is all around. :(

Love,
    Steph
  • LKayS
    LKayS Member Posts: 3
    Options
    So sorry
    Sad to hear this news. Glad that the family will be there.
  • BobHaze
    BobHaze Member Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Damn! Damn!! Damn!!!
    I don’t care if we all suspected/feared something like this, it just isn’t fair and it hurts to have it confirmed. Don is less than 6 months post-op and they give him 2 weeks?!? I’m just so sad that he had so little good time after his surgery before the pain started, and he’s been struggling ever since. At least hospice will be able to make him comfortable, which is a small blessing considering what he’s been going through for the past 2 months.

My heart is just broken for Don and Judy who, like so many before them, are good people who did everything right and still got kicked in the balls (sorry ladies). How can this be happening?

FEC,
    Bob
    T1aN0M0
    Dx 8/3/11
    MIE 9/23/11
  • Laurie5220
    Laurie5220 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Don's recurrence
    Judy,
    I'm Laurie, and I lost my precious Neal about 18 months ago at age 52. I am now 47. I want you to keep your focus now. Your goal's are Don's comfort and Don's dignity. Do all that you can to make sure that he is comfortable and does not lose his dignity. The fluid may not contain cancer cells, but the tumors certainly appear to be crushing a vein or artery, thereby interfering with his body's ability to rid itself of the fluid. Don't lose sight of how draining dialysis is, and how crummy Don feels following it. You do what your heart tells you to do. Protect him, advocate for him, don't be afraid to speak up to Hospice, and tell him again and again how much you love him. This cancer is brutal. It destroys so many lives when it affects a person. You did wonderfully, getting Don back to the larger hospital. You have done all that you can to fight this horrible cancer. Let your love guide you in your decision making. I know your terror and your pain, but this is about helping Don to be at peace now.
    Laurie Sahagian
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Heartbroken!
    I am so sad and so angry that this is the end result for Don & Judy. Bob's right - this is a kick in the balls after what they have been through. EC is not fair, it isn't considerate, and it isn't patient. Just so damned frustrating to see another good man taken down by this disease.

My prayers, positive thoughts, and as much mojo as I can muster to Don & Judy. I hope his reamaining days are filled with peace, family & friends close by, and pain free. I hope Judy finds the strength to keep her spirits up as well. I know these days are challenging.

Blessings to those of you still fighting. I hope to see a cure for this cancer and others in my lifetime. Love & Hugs to you all!

Terry
    PROUD wife to Nick, age 49
    lost battle to EC, 06/19/12

FEC!
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Options

Don's recurrence
    Judy,
    I'm Laurie, and I lost my precious Neal about 18 months ago at age 52. I am now 47. I want you to keep your focus now. Your goal's are Don's comfort and Don's dignity. Do all that you can to make sure that he is comfortable and does not lose his dignity. The fluid may not contain cancer cells, but the tumors certainly appear to be crushing a vein or artery, thereby interfering with his body's ability to rid itself of the fluid. Don't lose sight of how draining dialysis is, and how crummy Don feels following it. You do what your heart tells you to do. Protect him, advocate for him, don't be afraid to speak up to Hospice, and tell him again and again how much you love him. This cancer is brutal. It destroys so many lives when it affects a person. You did wonderfully, getting Don back to the larger hospital. You have done all that you can to fight this horrible cancer. Let your love guide you in your decision making. I know your terror and your pain, but this is about helping Don to be at peace now.
    Laurie Sahagian

So sad. So angry. Just no
    So sad. So angry. Just no words.

Judy, you and Don have been and are in my thoughts and prayers constantly.

Love and hugs,
    Angie
  • ritawaite13
    ritawaite13 Member Posts: 236
    Options
    TerryV said:

Heartbroken!
    I am so sad and so angry that this is the end result for Don & Judy. Bob's right - this is a kick in the balls after what they have been through. EC is not fair, it isn't considerate, and it isn't patient. Just so damned frustrating to see another good man taken down by this disease.

My prayers, positive thoughts, and as much mojo as I can muster to Don & Judy. I hope his reamaining days are filled with peace, family & friends close by, and pain free. I hope Judy finds the strength to keep her spirits up as well. I know these days are challenging.

Blessings to those of you still fighting. I hope to see a cure for this cancer and others in my lifetime. Love & Hugs to you all!

Terry
    PROUD wife to Nick, age 49
    lost battle to EC, 06/19/12

FEC!

Judy and Don
    Those of us who've walked this lonely path before you kind of suspected there was some not so good news coming out of all of this. While we continued to pray and hope the nagging doubts were showing their ugly heads. It just seems so unfair to go through all Don and Judy have been through and have it come down to this. I can only echo the sentiments of the others here;;;FEC! FEC! FEC!! Hugs to you Judy and Don and Caitlin.
  • jgwright
    jgwright Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Arrrghh
    This really stinks. Judy, Don... I'm so sorry. Go home and take care of each other.

Love you guys...

--Jerry
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    Options
    I am so heartbroken for both
    I am so heartbroken for both of you. I have avoided writing as we have talked and I know the sick , unbelievably numb feeling you have now. You have both been thru so much Judy.
    Hospice will make Don comfortable and that is what this beautiful man of yours needs is comfort. EC is unrelenting and it seems to just take the best there is.

My heart bleeds for you.

I care so much Judy , we all do and we are helpless to do anything.

Much love

Barbara
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    mrsbotch said:

I am so heartbroken for both
    I am so heartbroken for both of you. I have avoided writing as we have talked and I know the sick , unbelievably numb feeling you have now. You have both been thru so much Judy.
    Hospice will make Don comfortable and that is what this beautiful man of yours needs is comfort. EC is unrelenting and it seems to just take the best there is.

My heart bleeds for you.

I care so much Judy , we all do and we are helpless to do anything.

Much love

Barbara

very sad and sorry
    So sad to hear this, I have been praying but afraid of what all this might have been. I think Don and Judy are making the right choice, he has suffered so much pain and discomfort already. My prayers and hope are that they have some peaceful times and that hospice can take care of the discomfort and pain issues. So sorry to see this post. many, many hugs,
    Donna70
  • rose20
    rose20 Member Posts: 258
    Options
    So sad and so very sorry
    Judy, I am just so sorry, I echo everyone else's words here. Cherish each day together . Praying God give you the strength to do what needs to be done. Praying peace and comfort for Don.
  • Bermudagirl
    Bermudagirl Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Donna70 said:

very sad and sorry
    So sad to hear this, I have been praying but afraid of what all this might have been. I think Don and Judy are making the right choice, he has suffered so much pain and discomfort already. My prayers and hope are that they have some peaceful times and that hospice can take care of the discomfort and pain issues. So sorry to see this post. many, many hugs,
    Donna70

So saddened to hear this
    Judy I have only "known" you through this board for a couple of months, but you have always been so encouraging to me as I joined this club. I am so saddened to hear this. I know that you will continue to find the strength to deal with this. My very best thoughts, wishes and prayers for you and Don.

Sandy
  • mmr19
    mmr19 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    So sorry to hear
    Judy-
    A recurrence is not the answer I had hoped to hear. What a terrible time you have been going through only to get that result. My heart breaks for you. Glad that Don can finally go home. I think you both will find some peace and comfort being in your own home.
    I'm sorry for what you will now be facing, and pray for your continued strength.

Marta
    PS- Thanks Freida for keeping us updated.
  • Ginny_B
    Ginny_B Member Posts: 532
    Options
    So sad
    Oh Judy, what can I say. I've walked the road you are now on. I'm here if you have any questions. Talk as often as you can about everything. Don't leave his side if you can manage that.

I'm so sorry.
    Gin
  • sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    Options
    Judy and Don, My heart hurts
    Judy and Don, My heart hurts over this news. It's not fair!
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. Glad Don is going home for his final weeks.
    Praying God's arms will hold you close and give you both comfort in the coming days, Sandra