Remission in Stage IV is long term possible?

Comments

• biglaur
    biglaur Member Posts: 72 Member
    I'm hanging in there
    Dx Sept '06, mets to liver and lung...after resection, folfox, stereotactic radiation, a VERY difficult clinical trial, then Xeloda...I have been off all treatment since Jan '09. I have my "9 month" ctscan Friday...always a touch nerve wracking...but my blood work looks good, CEA remains undetectable so I'm not as crazy worried as I sometimes get before a scan. Living life...can't say the cancer isn't always at the back of my mind...but I don't let it spoil my days...weeks...months...! Hang in there all you good people fighting the fight!
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member

vickilg
    Great question, it's brings out the sparkle in our group.
    Whatever my treatment having hope makes me smile.
    It's simple for me!

Been super healthy for 2 years now.

Hugs,
    Pete

Ps as words and descriptions I don't like remission, or Ned. They always imply it's just about to come back or stop.
    For me, I say I am WELL today, my focus is on using this great day wisely.
    For me WELL IS POSITIVE.

Whenever I say outloud I am well, well I just cannot stop that smile. Even if some cells make my onc nervous.

hey pete
    i did not know you were stage 4. glad you are doing well...Godbless...johnnybegood
  • jackie.jackson81
    jackie.jackson81 Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2017 #24
    I was just diagnosed with

I was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer that has unfortunately spread to my liver. Is this thread still active? I would like to see how all you guys are doing now in 2017.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,792 Member

I was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer that has unfortunately spread to my liver. Is this thread still active? I would like to see how all you guys are doing now in 2017.

Hi Jackie

Vickilg and at least seven others who have posted in this thread have passed from our world but not from our thoughts.  May I suggest you open a new thread and introduce yourself. We would love to get to kknow you and help you on your journey. 

TRU

• Trubrit said:

Hi Jackie

Vickilg and at least seven others who have posted in this thread have passed from our world but not from our thoughts.  May I suggest you open a new thread and introduce yourself. We would love to get to kknow you and help you on your journey. 

TRU

I'm a newbie to this thread

I'm a newbie to this thread thingy haha.. so I wouldn'y know where to begin with making a new one!

• Trubrit
    edited February 2017 #27

I'm a newbie to this thread

I'm a newbie to this thread thingy haha.. so I wouldn'y know where to begin with making a new one!

Totally understandable

Lets see if I can lead the way.   If you click on this link http://csn.cancer.org/forum/128 it will take you to the Colorecta home page/forum.

Here you will see a list of all the threads, with the latest replied to thread at the top.  You can click on any one of them that you like and read about tons of issues. 

If you want to start your own thread and introduce yourself (which we would love for you to do), go to the top left hand sie of the page, go down to where you see the new threads and just above there (under Colorectal Cancer) you will see Add New Forum Topic  click on that and you're good to go. 

We talk about everything concerning our Cancer journey. 

We look forward to getting to know you and helping you on your way. 

TRU

• Trubrit said:

Totally understandable

Lets see if I can lead the way.   If you click on this link http://csn.cancer.org/forum/128 it will take you to the Colorecta home page/forum.

Here you will see a list of all the threads, with the latest replied to thread at the top.  You can click on any one of them that you like and read about tons of issues. 

If you want to start your own thread and introduce yourself (which we would love for you to do), go to the top left hand sie of the page, go down to where you see the new threads and just above there (under Colorectal Cancer) you will see Add New Forum Topic  click on that and you're good to go. 

We talk about everything concerning our Cancer journey. 

We look forward to getting to know you and helping you on your way. 

TRU

Thanks for helping out! I've

Thanks for helping out! I've began a new thread, and I hope you all check it out!

• Maxxhunt47
    Maxxhunt47 Member Posts: 4

Stage 4 still in remission

This tread is still alive.  I'm sure you are scared about your diagnosis but I am stage 4 colon cancer that spread to my liver in 2010.  I had surgery in June 2011 and have been blessed to be in remission since then.  This June will be 6 years.  I thank God everyday to have survived to live another day.  

• Trubrit

Stage 4 still in remission

This tread is still alive.  I'm sure you are scared about your diagnosis but I am stage 4 colon cancer that spread to my liver in 2010.  I had surgery in June 2011 and have been blessed to be in remission since then.  This June will be 6 years.  I thank God everyday to have survived to live another day.  

She is not scared any more.

Vickilg passed away several years ago now. 

TRU

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    Great positivity

this is what we all need, positivity!!  Its getting warm out, embrace life, and continue to fight!!

• Travis8
    Travis8 Member Posts: 22
    I am stage 4 with liver mets

I am stage 4 with liver mets last December. On my 6th round of Xeleri following succesu liver resection. Glad to hear all the positivity on this thread. I need it. Good luck to you all

• impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Dx almost 11 years ago Stage

Dx almost 11 years ago Stage 4. I have been clear for over 5 years now with NED. 

Best to all

Chip

• blessed39
    blessed39 Member Posts: 90 Member
    Stage Four Long Term

I was diagnosed with stage four and have been in remission for several years now. I wrote a short about my

cancer experience. If you would like to read my story, just go to my page and open my blog.

I pray you can find comfort from my journey. blessed39

• artL
    artL Member Posts: 1
    stage 1v lung cancer

my wife had been diagnosed with lymphoma about 4 years ago. doiung so well that she was never treated.  after that Dr. thought her nodule had grown and  we were shocked when we were told she had stage iv lung cancer. never any clue   and we had been so happy that her lymphoma was even better.   My son has been searching for a trial or treatment for her. she has had three doses of chemo and knockes her out so much. seems most trials are not for persone who have both lymphoma and lunc cancer. I know the desperation  i feel, we all feel, as she is the most wonderful happening in my life and married 52 years.   seems the treials we see are fr people with just one cancer- although her lymphoma was doing so very well and actually diminushed with no trweatments. Anyone know of any trials for a person wiht two cancers as she has.   I feel so lost  an going to see counselor . I pray for anything at all, incl a miracle, to come along , a new trial, med, anything to put her lung cancer into remission.  Her attitude is good and saus she will beat this and wants to go on our next cruise.  Her bags were packed to go on one and had to be cancelled just two days before the cruise. we were told lung cancer  so out of the blue.    Thanks to all and god bless all who are ill with this terrible disease and their family

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    edited August 2017 #36
    artL said:

stage 1v lung cancer

my wife had been diagnosed with lymphoma about 4 years ago. doiung so well that she was never treated.  after that Dr. thought her nodule had grown and  we were shocked when we were told she had stage iv lung cancer. never any clue   and we had been so happy that her lymphoma was even better.   My son has been searching for a trial or treatment for her. she has had three doses of chemo and knockes her out so much. seems most trials are not for persone who have both lymphoma and lunc cancer. I know the desperation  i feel, we all feel, as she is the most wonderful happening in my life and married 52 years.   seems the treials we see are fr people with just one cancer- although her lymphoma was doing so very well and actually diminushed with no trweatments. Anyone know of any trials for a person wiht two cancers as she has.   I feel so lost  an going to see counselor . I pray for anything at all, incl a miracle, to come along , a new trial, med, anything to put her lung cancer into remission.  Her attitude is good and saus she will beat this and wants to go on our next cruise.  Her bags were packed to go on one and had to be cancelled just two days before the cruise. we were told lung cancer  so out of the blue.    Thanks to all and god bless all who are ill with this terrible disease and their family

There are treatments for

There are treatments for metastasized, even if there are no trials.  They come out with new treatments after clinical trials have found them successful, so she is still benefitting from the trials and may be better off than those in them since they have an idea of the success rate after the fact.

Good luck to you and your family,

Joan 

• Maxxhunt47
    Maxxhunt47 Member Posts: 4
    Long term survival

Long term survival is possible.  I am one of them.  I had liver mets and a liver resection in June 2011.  It's now the end of 2017 and I am still doing well.  So, it is very possible to have long term survival at stage 4 colon cancer.

• Trubrit

Long term survival

Long term survival is possible.  I am one of them.  I had liver mets and a liver resection in June 2011.  It's now the end of 2017 and I am still doing well.  So, it is very possible to have long term survival at stage 4 colon cancer.

Hello there

What wonderful news. six years is fantastic. 

Why not start a new thread with this wonderful news.  Sadly, Vickilg, who started this thread, passed away several years ago, along with joemetz, nana b, jamderson, barbebarb,herdizziness, pete43...,johnnybegood,Doc_Hawk, and a probably a few of the others, whose names I do not recognize. 

Here is the link to the forum home page. https://csn.cancer.org/forum/128  look forward to your post. 

Tru

• Lily Flower
    Lily Flower Member Posts: 260 Member
    Trubrit said:

Hello there

Why not start a new thread with this wonderful news.  Sadly, Vickilg, who started this thread, passed away several years ago, along with joemetz, nana b, jamderson, barbebarb,herdizziness, pete43...,johnnybegood,Doc_Hawk, and a probably a few of the others, whose names I do not recognize. 

Here is the link to the forum home page. https://csn.cancer.org/forum/128  look forward to your post. 

Tru

Tru, this is such a sad post

Tru, this is such a sad post to read. RiP to them all! 

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Trubrit said:

Hello there

Tru

This

Kr-p and now I am beginnig to have known too many of them.  Just kr-p.  

• Trubrit
    NewHere said:

This

Kr-p and now I am beginnig to have known too many of them.  Just kr-p.  

Its hard, isn't it

In my time here, I can name far too many forum friends who have passed. At one point, we lost three in one week. It is so very hard and discouraging. That is why these good survival posts are so important. 

Vikilg and Doc_Hawk, passed away the same day. I have often wondered if they got to meet somewhere, in the great beyond?

Tru