Having exchange surgery Monday morning

Options
Penny67
Penny67 Member Posts: 65
I started this journey last July at age 44 when I was diagnosed Stage 2, Grade 1, er, pr+, 2 nodes with traces of cancer. I underwent a double skin/nipple sparing mastectomy followed by 5 rounds of taxotere and cytoxan and 33 radiation treatments to my left side. I had some scares along the way that turned out to be nothing (liver cysts, thyroid nodule) but they just reminded me that this beast is always lurking in the shadows.

Monday I am scheduled to get the expanders out and the implants in. I can't wait because I have been walking around with what feels like a tortoise shell under my skin on the left radiated side. I am choosing to remain positive even though I am well informed about the problems with radiated skin and healing, etc. I am not going for perfection-I just want to look normal in clothes and get back to some type of new normal where I am not constantly worrying about the cancer coming back. I'm not sure if I will ever get to that place, but I'm hoping with this final surgery the path will clear for me to take baby steps to get there. I am still nervous about having to undergo another surgery and I guess I fear them finding something else wrong with me while they are poking around.

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Wishing you well...
    I don't know anything about these surgeries, I had a lumpectomy...but I wanted you to know that I wish you the best and a speedy recovery...And will keep you in my prayers...please, when you feel up to it, keep us posted...

Hugs, Nancy
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Wishing you well...
    I don't know anything about these surgeries, I had a lumpectomy...but I wanted you to know that I wish you the best and a speedy recovery...And will keep you in my prayers...please, when you feel up to it, keep us posted...

Hugs, Nancy

Good luck Penny with your
    Good luck Penny with your surgery tomorrow!

Hugs, Diane
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    I hope all
    goes well for you tomorrow. I will keep you in my thoughts and send you some positive energy for a quick recovery.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    ladyg said:

I hope all
    goes well for you tomorrow. I will keep you in my thoughts and send you some positive energy for a quick recovery.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Wishing you all the
    Wishing you all the best!

Hugs, Lex
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Alexis F said:

Wishing you all the
    Wishing you all the best!

Hugs, Lex

Penny, My prayers and thoughts are with
    you today. Speedy recovery, and successful results!

Strength, Courage and Hope for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Penny, My prayers and thoughts are with
    you today. Speedy recovery, and successful results!

Strength, Courage and Hope for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

Wishes for a successful
    Wishes for a successful surgery and a fast recovery!

Hugs, Leeza
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

Wishes for a successful
    Wishes for a successful surgery and a fast recovery!

Hugs, Leeza

Praying that your surgery
    Praying that your surgery went well yesterday and that you are resting comfortably now.

Hugs, Jan
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Praying that your surgery
    Praying that your surgery went well yesterday and that you are resting comfortably now.

Hugs, Jan

How did your exhange surgery
    How did your exchange surgery go? How are you feeling? I hope you will feel like posting an update soon.

Gentle hugs,

Debby
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Praying that
    Recovery is going well for you
  • salls41
    salls41 Member Posts: 340
    Options
    Hope your surgery went well
    I look forward to your posting how your surgery went! I am in the filling stages of my expanders and wondering what is ahead with the exchange surgery. More drains? Recovery time? Pain? I am sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!!
    Sandy
  • williadk
    williadk Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thinking about you today -
    Thinking about you today - pray everything went well. I had my exchange in December and it was wonderful!! I hated the expanders - they were so heavy and hurt!! I felt a difference almost immediately!!

And yes, for me, it felt like a step further AWAY from cancer and onto healing!! Good luck!!

Deb