Radiation

Options
ajdebbs
ajdebbs Member Posts: 18
Going thru my radiation now.......mild blisters under my arm.....i know it will get worse before it gets better....should i be worried? i have 10 more left and then 3 boosters. anything i can take to make it feel better? using Aquafor now and aloe from my plant but that's it. Gosh i can't wait til it's done.

Comments

• sdukowitz
    sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
    Options
    Ask the dr or nurse about
    Ask the dr or nurse about any other prescription creams that might help I used just the aquaphor but radiation affects each of us individually ..... celebrate on your last day you deserve it! I had to fly every day on a small plane for my radiation in sometime blizzard conditions due to distance that was not too fun! Y
    You can do it ... we are all here for support! Prayers heading your way! Sue D
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    sdukowitz said:

Ask the dr or nurse about
    Ask the dr or nurse about any other prescription creams that might help I used just the aquaphor but radiation affects each of us individually ..... celebrate on your last day you deserve it! I had to fly every day on a small plane for my radiation in sometime blizzard conditions due to distance that was not too fun! Y
    You can do it ... we are all here for support! Prayers heading your way! Sue D

Ask for...
    My radiation oncologist gave me a prescription cream, Biofine....I used it from day one..carried it in my purse and applied it before I put my top on...then 3 more times daily...but never more than 4 hours before treatment...I showered before each treatment...I never burned...I was told NOT to use AQUAPHOR until treatment was done because it is petroleum based, hard to remove and could interfere with the effectiveness of the rads...but many use it.... I had 33 treatments with the last 7 being boosters

Ask for a prescription cream....

You're almost done, congrats, you'll be a rad graduate before you know it!
    Hugs, Nancy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Ask for...
    My radiation oncologist gave me a prescription cream, Biofine....I used it from day one..carried it in my purse and applied it before I put my top on...then 3 more times daily...but never more than 4 hours before treatment...I showered before each treatment...I never burned...I was told NOT to use AQUAPHOR until treatment was done because it is petroleum based, hard to remove and could interfere with the effectiveness of the rads...but many use it.... I had 33 treatments with the last 7 being boosters

Hugs, Nancy

Insist on seeing the doctor
    When I was going through radiation, I started to burn pretty badly at around the same time as you.

Insist on seeing the doctor, even if it's not your scheduled day to see him/her -- they have an arsenal of different creams they can prescribe to make you more comfortable, and it's better to get them going now instead of later. I had several different ones, and they really do help better than the over-the-counter lotions, if the burns start to get bad.

Traci
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    MAJW said:

Ask for...

Hugs, Nancy

I had Biofine for any burn
    I had Biofine for any burn that I might get, but, I never burnt..just got really red and tender. Have your rads oncologist see you. There are other meds they can prescribe for you. I also used tons of Aquaphor, mainly to keep my skin moist.

If your skin gets too bad, they can stop your treatments for awhile to give you time to heal.

Mainly..get your rads oncologist to see you now.

Good luck,

Lex
  • ajdebbs
    Options
    omg! thank you all so
    omg! thank you all so much! i went in today and i asked to talk to my dr....even tho it wasn't my scheduled day to see him. i showed him what was happening and he stopped my treatments for a couple days. said i could use a break and gave me all kinds of stuff to try to get some healing in the next 3 days.....and then when i go back in he will look to see if i need more time. i didn't know i could do that but you all helped me to talk to him about it.......i sooooo appreciate you!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    ajdebbs said:

omg! thank you all so
    omg! thank you all so much! i went in today and i asked to talk to my dr....even tho it wasn't my scheduled day to see him. i showed him what was happening and he stopped my treatments for a couple days. said i could use a break and gave me all kinds of stuff to try to get some healing in the next 3 days.....and then when i go back in he will look to see if i need more time. i didn't know i could do that but you all helped me to talk to him about it.......i sooooo appreciate you!

When I had rads, they had to
    When I had rads, they had to stop them for another pink sister as she was really burnt. I think they gave her 2 weeks off and she came back after that and finished. No doctor worth his salt will make you continue if you are burnt bad.

Glad we could help and good luck!

Lex
  • ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    ajdebbs said:

omg! thank you all so

I'm glad you got a break!
    It's great you asked for more help - there's no need to suffer. I got blisters on the area that shows when I wear a swim suit. The prescribed creams really helped. The reddness subsided in 2-3 weeks after I finished treatment. I had 33 sessions with the last 5 being boosters at the end.

I hope you feel better soon!

Hugs!
    Karen
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    ajdebbs said:

omg! thank you all so

Good girl!
    Going through treatment, it's so important to know when to tell your doctors, this is too much, I need help.

Good for you, for advocating for yourself, and I'm so glad we were here to give you an encouraging push.

Traci
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    ksf56 said:

I'm glad you got a break!
    It's great you asked for more help - there's no need to suffer. I got blisters on the area that shows when I wear a swim suit. The prescribed creams really helped. The reddness subsided in 2-3 weeks after I finished treatment. I had 33 sessions with the last 5 being boosters at the end.

I hope you feel better soon!

Hugs!
    Karen

Always have your rads
    Always have your rads oncologist himself see you at the least, once a week and it should be more. They are responsible for seeing that you aren't getting too badly burnt.

I am glad that you got helped and can stop rads for a few days. I know it will help.

Good luck,

Kylez
  • ajdebbs
    Options
    you all rock. thank you
    you all rock. thank you again. today was my 23rd treatment out of 33 and 3 boosters. so we'll see how it goes. he said he would check me out on tuesday and see if i need more time off. i'm sooooo thankful that i went to him directly. he was really great about it.....once he saw. and in his defense....it was pretty mild when i saw him on my weekly visit but within a couple days it really opened up.

again, i'm so grateful to you for your help!

thank you and God bless!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    ajdebbs said:

you all rock. thank you
    you all rock. thank you again. today was my 23rd treatment out of 33 and 3 boosters. so we'll see how it goes. he said he would check me out on tuesday and see if i need more time off. i'm sooooo thankful that i went to him directly. he was really great about it.....once he saw. and in his defense....it was pretty mild when i saw him on my weekly visit but within a couple days it really opened up.

again, i'm so grateful to you for your help!

thank you and God bless!

We are all so different
    I had no burning at all (just tanned) til after my 23rd rad. It was very mild when I got there for 24th and Techs called Dr in to see it. He said go ahead as I was only doing a total of 25 anyway. The next morning it was a bit worse but not bad - YET. The next morning I woke up with the entire radiated area 'open' and 'weeping'. From there on it got worse for weeks as even once rads are completed they keep "cooking" (word the Dr used) for quite a while. All I could do was wear white T-shirts to act as bandages and change them every 2 hrs (or less) when they would be soaked. Dr would like to have used Silvadene/Sulfadene but I'm allergic to Sulfa so couldn't. What finally worked on healing the burns was Domebro soaks. Was 'lucky', in some ways, that the deepest of the burns were under arm where there is nerve damage so I didn't feel the worst of the pain from it. Vicodin was my 'friend' for the rest of it though.

Remember - like with chemo - the effects of radiation are cumulative and can/will continue after last TX.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

We are all so different
    I had no burning at all (just tanned) til after my 23rd rad. It was very mild when I got there for 24th and Techs called Dr in to see it. He said go ahead as I was only doing a total of 25 anyway. The next morning it was a bit worse but not bad - YET. The next morning I woke up with the entire radiated area 'open' and 'weeping'. From there on it got worse for weeks as even once rads are completed they keep "cooking" (word the Dr used) for quite a while. All I could do was wear white T-shirts to act as bandages and change them every 2 hrs (or less) when they would be soaked. Dr would like to have used Silvadene/Sulfadene but I'm allergic to Sulfa so couldn't. What finally worked on healing the burns was Domebro soaks. Was 'lucky', in some ways, that the deepest of the burns were under arm where there is nerve damage so I didn't feel the worst of the pain from it. Vicodin was my 'friend' for the rest of it though.

Remember - like with chemo - the effects of radiation are cumulative and can/will continue after last TX.

Susan

A few days off will help you
    A few days off will help you so much. I am so glad your rads oncologist saw you and realized you needed a break.

Best of luck to you,

Jan
  • ajdebbs
    Options
    Rague said:

We are all so different

Susan

omg susan......i heard the
    omg susan......i heard the same thing.....the "cooking" will go on and on afterwards but yes....everyone is different and some healed right away and some did not. mine is under my armpit as well.....so like you it doesn't hurt so awful.....but the skin is just pealing like crazy and leaving it pretty raw. i'm using aquafor and lanacaine mixed as well as aloe directly from my cactus. they seem to work ok.....and last night i actually slept decent when i took my oxycodine....lol.
    i'm hoping the doc says to wait a few more days on tuesday because i don't see it getting any better soon.
    anyhoo.....thanks for fabulous advice.

you all are truly amazing!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    ajdebbs said:

omg susan......i heard the same thing.....the "cooking" will go on and on afterwards but yes....everyone is different and some healed right away and some did not. mine is under my armpit as well.....so like you it doesn't hurt so awful.....but the skin is just pealing like crazy and leaving it pretty raw. i'm using aquafor and lanacaine mixed as well as aloe directly from my cactus. they seem to work ok.....and last night i actually slept decent when i took my oxycodine....lol.
    i'm hoping the doc says to wait a few more days on tuesday because i don't see it getting any better soon.

My poor Aloe plant
    I had a HUGE container of Aloe when I started Rads - by the time all was healed it was just about none existant. Aug will be 3 yrs since DX and Aloe is finally back to about 1/2 of the size it was - but so glad I had it to attack/take.

My Dr had expected me to burn early on as I'm very 'fair' but have always tanned easy without burning, so he was surprised when I burned so bad at the end. I'm definately different/weird (LOL)!

With time this to will become something in the past. And even knowing what I now know happened - I do it again in a heartbeat. Would just have started the Domeboro soaks sooner.

Thoughts and prayers!

Susan
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Rague said:

My poor Aloe plant
    I had a HUGE container of Aloe when I started Rads - by the time all was healed it was just about none existant. Aug will be 3 yrs since DX and Aloe is finally back to about 1/2 of the size it was - but so glad I had it to attack/take.

My Dr had expected me to burn early on as I'm very 'fair' but have always tanned easy without burning, so he was surprised when I burned so bad at the end. I'm definately different/weird (LOL)!

With time this to will become something in the past. And even knowing what I now know happened - I do it again in a heartbeat. Would just have started the Domeboro soaks sooner.

Thoughts and prayers!

Susan

The cumulative effects of
    The cumulative effects of rads effects everyone. So, you need to continue with your creams and being good to your skin even after you are finished with rads. My rads oncologist told me to keep doing what I was doing for a few weeks afterwords at least. I actually kept using the creams, especially aquaphor for a month after I was done. My skin looks like a newborn babies, so, just remember that!
  • ajdebbs
    Options
    Rague said:

My poor Aloe plant

Thoughts and prayers!

Susan

aloe
    hahahahha......i have a very large plant and so far you can't even tell i've been picking at it.......poor thing.

i didn't think i would burn because i have medium brown skin.....but apparently it was very tender....and burned pretty good. i'm not worried about it anymore....especially since he said i could take a little break. i got this now. :o)

Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Ally
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    ajdebbs said:

aloe
    hahahahha......i have a very large plant and so far you can't even tell i've been picking at it.......poor thing.

i didn't think i would burn because i have medium brown skin.....but apparently it was very tender....and burned pretty good. i'm not worried about it anymore....especially since he said i could take a little break. i got this now. :o)

Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Ally

Happy that you've got this
    Happy that you've got this break Ally! I never burned, so, I know I was lucky. Wishing you good luck when you resume your rads.

Hugs, Diane
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    ajdebbs said:

You will heal from rads and
    You will heal from rads and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how fast it happens. Just be very gentle with your skin, get lots of sleep and keep your creams on. How are you doing now Ally?

Hugs, Leeza