newly diagnosed

Options
2»

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

You are in the right place
    Welcome to a great group of women who are willing to help each other. I think that the American Cancer Society should be your first call. They keep calling me with advice and sending me literature with phone numbers and suggestions. You are going to need help in your home from what I have read here on the board. Can your husband take his vacation during that time? Do you have anyone that you can think of? If you are considering hiring someone I have the suspicion that you don't (I wouldn't either). So that is the first thing you need to hammer out. Call them ok? Where do you live? Maybe one of us can help...in a heartbeat!!

We are here for you,
    Rebecca

Audra, wanting to say hi and
    Audra, wanting to say hi and to welcome you to this wonderful group of sisters!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    salls41 said:

Help is there
    Hi Audra, sorry you had to find us but as everyone else has already said, you found the right place. I agree with all of the advice you have gotten already! But definitely let your church know of your needs. Ask your doctor about local area support groups, most offer help with rides to treatment and organize meals for the bad chemo days. Chemo is not fun by any means but it is doable, and many do it and work full time as well. I was not one of them however I did work part time up until my last week of chemo and it became too much for me. I needed help after my bi lateral mastectomy for the first week, getting up and getting my drains taken care of and my bandages. It gets easier the second week and I found I wanted to try to do somethings on my own. If your children are teens, they will be able to help alot! Teach them how to use the washer and dryer and microwave. The worry of the unknown is worse than what it turns out to be. I worried so much about getting sick and all the horrible things I had ever heard about chemo and it turned out a lot different. Not easy at all, but I got through it. You will too.
    Sending thoughts and prayers!
    Sandy

Feeling overwhelmed and
    Feeling overwhelmed and confused goes hand in hand with a bc diagnosis. Breathe and try to just take it one day at a time. Focus on your treatments and the goal of killing the beast! We're all praying for you!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Housekeeping
    In our area (West Michigan) there is "Houskeeping with a purpose". Or at least I think it was the name. The American Cancer Society in your area would probably know about this. I did not use this service as I have older grandchildren. One of them stayed with me for 3 weeks.

You will need to rest after surgery for sure but also check with your doctor about how much he wants you to use your arm. I had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes out and he wanted me to use my arm as much as I could. Just don't over do it. I could move the laurndry from the washer to the dryer with ease when necessary (handful by handful) but you are having a double masectomy so it may be harder for you. Is your husband a good cook? Mine is. He even helped with the post surgical drains at first. A visiting nurse is likely the one to teach you both how to do this.

Often when you are in a church those who have gone through cancer (breast cancer in particular) come out of the woodwork with offers of help. We got meals for about 2 weeks from our church as my husband still needed a break just to adjust to the idea of me having cancer. What about laundry? Maybe someone will come in and do this or take it home and return it folded the next day. I did not have this service, but my grandaughter really saved me on that point and she also was quite good at putting a lunch together. Considering it is summer perhaps the children could be enrolled in Vacation Bible school at several of the churches in your area after your surgery.

Sorry I am late in saying hi
    Sorry I am late in saying hi and welcome. You've gotten great advice and tips from the sisters already, and, I hope that you can get some help while you go through your treatments.

Keep us updated when you can,

Debby