C-Diff

Options

Comments

• pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Thank you for all the great
    Thank you for all the great advice!! The Flaygl seems to be working and I'm doing much better:) I know it's my Kindreds prayers and positive energy helping me through!
    Miles of Love,
    ~Kari
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Thank you for all the great advice!! The Flaygl seems to be working and I'm doing much better:) I know it's my Kindreds prayers and positive energy helping me through!
    Miles of Love,
    ~Kari

So glad the Flaygl is
    So glad the Flaygl is working for you Kari and that you are doing better! We will help you through anything!

Hugs, Kylez
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

Kari, I hate, hate that you
    Kari, I hate, hate that you are going through this and I'm sending positive healing energy and hugs your way!

Clostridium difficile is a bacteria that may or may not reside in a healthy colon. The problem comes when the c diff takes over the good bacteria in your intestine. This usually occurs after a course of antibiotics. Why? Antibiotics "sterilize" your colon. They wipe out good and bad bacteria in your colon and can cause a super growth of bad bacteria.

Once you have the c diff, you must, must follow medical advice carefully as it is a potentially very dangerous diarrhea. This usually means taking flagyl plus another antibiotic such as vancomycin. Follow carefully any other medical advice. Make sure you wash, wash, wash your hands after every bm as you can reinfect yourself.

The flagyl may make your feel pretty cruddy as, as my gi doc said, "flagyl is not a walk in the park." Eat what you can tolerate: clear liquids until the diarrhea subsides, then soups, potatoes, ginger ale, boiled eggs--whatever you can tolerate. Concentrate on replacing fluids and electrolytes more than solid food until you are better.

Just as important...when you are at the end of treatment and able to tolerate it, you need to reestablish the good bacteria in your gut. Really begin to eat yogurt with active cultures then. Also, your pharmacist can direct you to probiotic capsules to take with meals.

Hope this helps! I just did a great deal of reading on c diff, because I just got over a nasty bacterial gut infection. My c diff screen was negative and my physician thinks I may have had salmonella as we have had a community outbreak.

A heads up to all of you out there. We are immunocompromised--a fact that I personally like to deny ;-) Be careful with what you eat: wash your produce and avoid raw sprouts. Always wash your hands after going to the bathroom and keep hand sanitizer with you. Use it often. If you take antibiotics, ask about a probiotic and notify your health care provider immediately if you are having diarrhea.

Now enough with my lecturing. I just can't help myself. With a neurology professor father and being an NNP, I just grew up this way ;-)

Please get better soon Kari. I so sympathize with you right now. And pm me if I can help in any way.

See: http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/organisms/cdiff/Cdiff_infect.html

Miles of love
    right back at you Kari! Praying every day and night for you!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

Miles of Love,
    ~Kari

Yay! I am sooo relieved. I
    Yay! I am sooo relieved. I have been praying for you. Big (((hugs))) and take it easy. And don't forget your probiotics!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Yay! I am sooo relieved. I
    Yay! I am sooo relieved. I have been praying for you. Big (((hugs))) and take it easy. And don't forget your probiotics!

It is working! Yippee!
    It is working! Yippee! Hugs and prayers to you Kari!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Hugs
    Miles of Love back at you sweet Kari. I am sorry to hear about the infection. So glad they diagnosed what the problem is and are quick about correcting it. Hang in there, keep going! Don't be a stranger. Drop a line and let us know how you are doing from time to time.

Hugs.

You've already had enough!
    You've already had enough! I am so sorry that you got this awful infection. I pray that the antibiotics will work wonders and get rid of it fast for you.
  • Kristin N
    Options

Hugs
    Miles of Love back at you sweet Kari. I am sorry to hear about the infection. So glad they diagnosed what the problem is and are quick about correcting it. Hang in there, keep going! Don't be a stranger. Drop a line and let us know how you are doing from time to time.

Hugs.

You've already had enough!
    You've already had enough! I am so sorry that you got this awful infection. I pray that the antibiotics will work wonders and get rid of it fast for you.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    DebbyM said:

It is working! Yippee!
    It is working! Yippee! Hugs and prayers to you Kari!

Kari, how are you doing now?

Hugs, Leeza
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

Hugs, Leeza

OMIGOSH!!!
    I'm very late to this thread... Sheesh, Kari!!! How absolutely awful!!!

Hope you're feeling MUCH better by now.

Kind regards, Susan
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options

OMIGOSH!!!
    I'm very late to this thread... Sheesh, Kari!!! How absolutely awful!!!

Hope you're feeling MUCH better by now.

Kind regards, Susan

Not a Problem
    I don't think anything can gross me out anymore. After seeing my doctor open my incision in front of me and I didn't faint I figure I can handle it all. I also have three kids. Glad your feeling better. That is a horrible thing to have to deal with. Thinking of you.

Terry
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    mom62 said:

Not a Problem
    I don't think anything can gross me out anymore. After seeing my doctor open my incision in front of me and I didn't faint I figure I can handle it all. I also have three kids. Glad your feeling better. That is a horrible thing to have to deal with. Thinking of you.

Terry

Thinking of you Kari and
    Thinking of you Kari and praying that your antibiotics worked and you are doing great now.

Hugs, Diane
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Kari, How are you? I have
    Kari, How are you? I have been thinking about you and praying that you are on the mend. (((Hugs)))
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Kari, How are you? I have
    Kari, How are you? I have been thinking about you and praying that you are on the mend. (((Hugs)))

Kari is much better
    Kari is doing much better. Antibiotic is working
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Kari is much better
    Kari is doing much better. Antibiotic is working

Thanks New Flower for the
    Thanks New Flower for the update on Kari. Please let her know that we are still praying for her.

Hugs, Noel
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

Thanks New Flower for the
    Thanks New Flower for the update on Kari. Please let her know that we are still praying for her.

Hugs, Noel

So glad the antibiotics are
    So glad the antibiotics are working. Hugs and prayers for Kari!
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    :(
    Hi Kari!!! I posted asking about you, and then came across this post. So sorry you had such a bad experience!!!! Glad you're feeling better though. Prayers are always with you.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

:(
    Hi Kari!!! I posted asking about you, and then came across this post. So sorry you had such a bad experience!!!! Glad you're feeling better though. Prayers are always with you.

So great to know that Kari
    So great to know that Kari is feeling better. Thank you so much for the update.

Love, Leeza
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    How long were you on
    How long were you on antibiotics? and what kind? my boss had this and it was a trip to hell and back for her~she is finally doing better, but it took a while...do blame the antibiotics on this one...you will need probiotics to correct the damage~get the live ones, they need to be kept in the fridge~read up on it~please, this is reversible, you don't have to suffer...
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    moths said:

C diff
    Hi,
    I had C diff last year after lots of antibiotics. Luckily, the Flagil got rid of it pretty quickly.

I am hoping and praying with
    I am hoping and praying with all my heart that you are doing well Kari!
  • Kristin N
    Options
    sinee said:

How long were you on
    How long were you on antibiotics? and what kind? my boss had this and it was a trip to hell and back for her~she is finally doing better, but it took a while...do blame the antibiotics on this one...you will need probiotics to correct the damage~get the live ones, they need to be kept in the fridge~read up on it~please, this is reversible, you don't have to suffer...

So happy that the
    I hope and pray Kari that you are doing well. Think of you often.

♥ Kristin ♥