I picked up the scan report :(

Options
MsGebby
MsGebby Member Posts: 659
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I picked up the report. I am FREAKING OUT.

Here's the diagnostics on those NEW nodules.

-new 1.1 x 1 cm irregular groudglass appearing opacity is noted in the right upper lobe
-new 5mm groundglass in the pleural nodule is in the right upper lobe
-new focal irregular soft tissue density seen in the middle lobe measuring 1.2 x 1.3cm. Several smaller similar nodules are noted on the same image
-8mm nodule is seen in the right lower lobe in the subpleural region peripheral which may be a tiny bit larger than previously (I believe they are talking about the one that measured 6mm before this scan)
-Multi focal pneumonitis is also in the differential

The radiologist states... there are new focal opacities on the right side in the area where the breast cancer and surgery seems to have taken place and therefore "I wonder" if these areas may indicate radiation related process rather than metastatic disease.

My stomach is in knots and my brain hurts. This is so scary. The report says "short term follow up in 4-6 weeks might be useful in further differentiating this process from metastatic process"

Doc set me up for an appointment with my friend C T Scan on August 6th. Scratching my head on this one.

I am so close to calling Sloan Kettering. I still have to see the Endo on the 24th. How can this be happening? Why is this happening?

Your prayers are so needed right now. I need to just try to pull myself together so I don't show any kind of distress this weekend. OMG OMG OMG

Comments

• jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Try not to overthink this.
    I know it's nearly impossible not to worry but find something to keep you busy so you don't have time to think about it. We will hold your hand and help you get through this.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    Options
    jamiegww said:

Try not to overthink this.
    I know it's nearly impossible not to worry but find something to keep you busy so you don't have time to think about it. We will hold your hand and help you get through this.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie

you will be in my prayers..
    you will be in my prayers.. I hope you can find something to keep you busy.. ( I know its easier said than done)....

God Bless
    Eva
  • SlowRollin
    SlowRollin Member Posts: 75
    Options
    epark said:

you will be in my prayers..
    you will be in my prayers.. I hope you can find something to keep you busy.. ( I know its easier said than done)....

God Bless
    Eva

Waiting is the worst
    I hope it's not what you think, but making yourself sick over it will just make it worse. I know, easy to say when its not my report your reading. Please try to focus on anything else until you are able to get back in.

My prayers are coming your way.

Tony
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

Waiting is the worst
    I hope it's not what you think, but making yourself sick over it will just make it worse. I know, easy to say when its not my report your reading. Please try to focus on anything else until you are able to get back in.

My prayers are coming your way.

Tony

post-rad changes. Put this thought in your mind and believe it. Draw that positive energy toward you. Every time a negative thought comes in (I know--probably contstant), try to think "these are changes from all the treatment I've had." Try to make that your mantra.

There is a wonderful gentleman in my support group who calls this "stinkin' thinkin". We all do it, but it doesn't help one bit.

We're all with you here, sending our prayers and positive energy.

Try to keep busy.

Love and hugs, Renee
  • Blondiemomma
    Blondiemomma Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Prayers your way
    I'm hoping and praying for you. Radiation does wicked things. That's why they run these tests and look at the lungs.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I agree
    as hard as it is, try not to overthink this one. Where he is saying that he is thinking it may me from radiation, not metastatic disease, makes me think that he is leaning away from it being cancer. About the only thing they like to do on the lung nodules is to wait until they can rescan. You would not want something as invasive as a biopsy when the nodules are relatively small.

I would always get a second opinion, and if you are in NYC area you have great doctors. It can't hurt, the only thing it will do is ease your mind.

Prayers,
    Carol
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    2nd Opinion is Needed
    Mary,

Make an appointment at Sloan Kettering is my 2 cents worth. You do need a 2nd opinion and then you will be in the loop with them if you need to change oncologist.

It is normal to wait 4-6 weeks for another ct scan to see if it is radiation related. You didn't have this sort of results in your other scans.

Best,

Doris
  • MsGebby
    Options
    SIROD said:

2nd Opinion is Needed
    Mary,

Make an appointment at Sloan Kettering is my 2 cents worth. You do need a 2nd opinion and then you will be in the loop with them if you need to change oncologist.

It is normal to wait 4-6 weeks for another ct scan to see if it is radiation related. You didn't have this sort of results in your other scans.

Best,

Doris

Thank You All
    I am having a bit of a weak moment. I apologize for sounding defeated. So much has happened since August I am just so overwhelmed.

Your support and love and prayers mean so much to me.

@Doris ... I sent you an email.

**HUGS**

Mary
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Mary....
    A CT showed an area in my upper right lung a few months after I finished rads and the radiologist's report said probable malignancy.
    A PET was done and it turned out in fact, to be scarring from rads. A CT done 6 months later showed that the area was getting smaller.

Please don't panic just yet. (I know, easier said than done!)

Prayers for you...

CR
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Mary....
    A CT showed an area in my upper right lung a few months after I finished rads and the radiologist's report said probable malignancy.
    A PET was done and it turned out in fact, to be scarring from rads. A CT done 6 months later showed that the area was getting smaller.

Please don't panic just yet. (I know, easier said than done!)

Prayers for you...

CR

Sending prayers
    Sending prayers and positive thoughts. Waiting is the hardest part! Try to stay positive and know that we are all here for you!

Hugs, Debi
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    debi.18 said:

Sending prayers
    Sending prayers and positive thoughts. Waiting is the hardest part! Try to stay positive and know that we are all here for you!

Hugs, Debi

Deep breaths Mary!
    We always want to think the WORST! Know that you're being prayed for.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Options
    sea60 said:

Deep breaths Mary!
    We always want to think the WORST! Know that you're being prayed for.

Hugs,

Sylvia

Praying
    Mary we are praying for you and please know that all of you pink sisters and brothers are holding you right now. You lean us friend and we are fighting with you. I'm so truly sorry that this has been added to your plate. I won't tell you not to worry because I know you will anyway, so instead I'm going to tell you to take deep breaths, try not to do too much Internet research on this, and remember that we love you.

I'm sending you big cyber hugs and I hope you can feel them.

Hugs & God Bless,

Dawne
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

Praying
    Mary we are praying for you and please know that all of you pink sisters and brothers are holding you right now. You lean us friend and we are fighting with you. I'm so truly sorry that this has been added to your plate. I won't tell you not to worry because I know you will anyway, so instead I'm going to tell you to take deep breaths, try not to do too much Internet research on this, and remember that we love you.

I'm sending you big cyber hugs and I hope you can feel them.

Hugs & God Bless,

Dawne

We're here, Mary
    Try to remember that radiation causes some impressive changes - and the radiologist knows this and is not jumping to any conclusions. It's difficult for us to envision those changes because it doesn't "hurt" while we're being radiated and we don't see what shows up post radiation on scans. That radiologist sees those post radiation changes all the time. We don't. Whatever the outcome of this is, we're here with you and will hold your hand, fire up the pink bus, and be right with you. I know it's going to be difficult to wait whatever amount of time you'll need to wait to rule out any more concerns, so we'll just hold you up in the interim.

Sending hugs and prayers for a positive outcome. We understand your angst and fears.

Suzanne
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options

We're here, Mary
    Try to remember that radiation causes some impressive changes - and the radiologist knows this and is not jumping to any conclusions. It's difficult for us to envision those changes because it doesn't "hurt" while we're being radiated and we don't see what shows up post radiation on scans. That radiologist sees those post radiation changes all the time. We don't. Whatever the outcome of this is, we're here with you and will hold your hand, fire up the pink bus, and be right with you. I know it's going to be difficult to wait whatever amount of time you'll need to wait to rule out any more concerns, so we'll just hold you up in the interim.

Sending hugs and prayers for a positive outcome. We understand your angst and fears.

Suzanne

Prayers...
    I've said it before, this place has some of the most powerful prayers when combined that I have ever seen. We are all here for you. Please keep us posted.
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

Prayers...
    I've said it before, this place has some of the most powerful prayers when combined that I have ever seen. We are all here for you. Please keep us posted.

My prayers are with you!!!
    Try to relax this weekend. Our prayers are with you.

{{{Big hugs}}}
    Mitzi
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    :-/
    Oh Honey I hate when this type of thing happens, we feel like we are free falling but know that we are here for you! You will most certainly be in my prayers~please update when you can. In the meantime try to do something that brings you joy to rid yourself of the fear for a bit, a funny movie, a walk in nature, a good book whatever brings you joy~

Hugs,

RE
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    RE said:

:-/
    Oh Honey I hate when this type of thing happens, we feel like we are free falling but know that we are here for you! You will most certainly be in my prayers~please update when you can. In the meantime try to do something that brings you joy to rid yourself of the fear for a bit, a funny movie, a walk in nature, a good book whatever brings you joy~

Hugs,

RE

Go with...
    What the radiologist is thinking....thinking it's due to the radiation, until or if you find out differently! Personally, I would ask for a PET scan along with the CT scan.....and sooner than August if possible....

Keep us posted...we care
    Hugs, Nancy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Go with...
    What the radiologist is thinking....thinking it's due to the radiation, until or if you find out differently! Personally, I would ask for a PET scan along with the CT scan.....and sooner than August if possible....

Keep us posted...we care
    Hugs, Nancy

Mary ...
    I can't imagine what you are going thru. All your questions, and concerns. Gentle hugs and prayers for you, dear Mary.

Personally, if I were in your shoes - ... I would call Sloan Kettering to get a
    second opinion.

PET/CT scan .. the whole 9 yards at Sloan -- Yes, that is what I would do.It is so important to have options --- !

Please take care and know that we are here for you, 24 hours a day, 7 days a
    week.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • MsGebby
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Mary ...
    I can't imagine what you are going thru. All your questions, and concerns. Gentle hugs and prayers for you, dear Mary.

Personally, if I were in your shoes - ... I would call Sloan Kettering to get a
    second opinion.

PET/CT scan .. the whole 9 yards at Sloan -- Yes, that is what I would do.It is so important to have options --- !

Please take care and know that we are here for you, 24 hours a day, 7 days a
    week.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

I can actually see
    a mass/lump in my breast. It's about 3/4" above the incision. Reading the report and seeing the part about tissue density ... I am thinking it's possible scar tissue. It's BIG though.

One of our sisters said to me ... she didn't understand why it had taken so long to get any kind of treatment started to begin with. From August to February, I had surgery only. NO hormone therapy even though it was known I was ER/PR+ in September. She also didn't understand why the rad onc didn't want me starting Arimidex until after finishing radiation. This does make me feel quite a bit nervous. If there were rogue cells still harvesting, that left me very vulnerable.

This second opinion is making me nervous too. What will my doctor think? That I don't trust him? I mean, I just switched to him last month. What will a new doctor think knowing that I've already been through 2 doctors...

**SIGH**

If I ever needed help making a decision.....IT'S NOW
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

I can actually see
    a mass/lump in my breast. It's about 3/4" above the incision. Reading the report and seeing the part about tissue density ... I am thinking it's possible scar tissue. It's BIG though.

One of our sisters said to me ... she didn't understand why it had taken so long to get any kind of treatment started to begin with. From August to February, I had surgery only. NO hormone therapy even though it was known I was ER/PR+ in September. She also didn't understand why the rad onc didn't want me starting Arimidex until after finishing radiation. This does make me feel quite a bit nervous. If there were rogue cells still harvesting, that left me very vulnerable.

This second opinion is making me nervous too. What will my doctor think? That I don't trust him? I mean, I just switched to him last month. What will a new doctor think knowing that I've already been through 2 doctors...

**SIGH**

If I ever needed help making a decision.....IT'S NOW

Your Own Oncologist
    Hi Mary,

Perhaps it would be a good time to call your oncologist an ask him what he thinks of your ct scan report. It would be a good time to ask him the questions and concerns you have about this report.

On discussion boards like this one, the women and I do include myself can only offer opinions from their perspective on their own cancer experience. I certainly am not qualified. I can't think of any other person here at the moment who is on this board. Perhaps there is, call it a memory gap.

Some online discussion boards do have RN, technicians, pharmacists and others in the medical field that can shed a more qualified light on a topic. All of them state in the same manner as this board that advise, opinions, received don't ever replace the ones given by your own qualified medical doctor.

Only you can make the decision on what to do. I wish you well with all my heart.

Doris