bad news

Options
Muschi
Muschi Member Posts: 85 Member
just found out yesterday, cancer moved into my head (lower brain).
I had for weeks headache and very bad dizzy spells. Told my onco about it and he was so sure it could not been cancer. Anyways I insisted to have a Ct Test and voila I have cancer in a different place. He did put me on steroids right away which helps the headaches and the terrible dizzy spells and Monday I will have radiation therapy about 15
of them. The rad Dr. is very positive that it will get rit of the tumors (3). Well another hurdle to jump.
Ilona

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Be strong
    So sorry to hear about your news. Get out your jumping shoes and you will get over this hurdle with flying colors. There is a lot of power in prayers and the people here have a lot to offer. Keep us posted on your progress. As always, all in my prayers.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    :-(
    Very sorry to hear this, you will be in my prayers! Glad you have docs who jumped right on it and have a positive out look.

Hugs,

RE
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    RE said:

Very sorry to hear this, you will be in my prayers! Glad you have docs who jumped right on it and have a positive out look.

Hugs,

RE

I totally understand.....
    My last scans also showed 3 small spots on my brain....I was totally asymptomatic....no headaches, no dizziness, no vision changes nothing....so it was a total shock! My oncologist sent me immediately to my rads onc....He stressed these were very small and he and my med onc are 99.9% sure that the radiation would take "care" of them...I had 10 rads treatments....(my third go round of radiation since this nightmare started in '09) I'm also back on chemo...ugh... Not as easy as the first go round in '09.....

Here's what I experienced during these treatments....first they do a simulation like with all radiation....it took about 25-30 minutes....they make a plastic mold of your head..Mine was lime green.....because your head can't move during treatments....this mold was used for every treatment....it is actually "bolted" to the table....it's not as bad as it sounds...although I was really anxious about it....after being lined up, the treatment last less than 5 minutes..
    I just told myself I could do anything for 5 minutes! Also brain rads causes almost overwhelming fatigue! Starts about treatment # 6-7.. Rest up before you start and as much as possible....I was totally wiped out! It's been 6 weeks since I finished and slowly but surely my energy is returning but now I'm coping with chemo fatigue....also due to the massive doses of steroids we have to take, no driving....because of the chance of seizures...I'm still not allowed until June...another tip....careful that you don't developed thrush in your mouth, again due to the steroids...I'm dealing with the third episode of this and it's miserable...alters the taste buds big time...have your rads onc prescribe Nystatin and start using it now!

I hope this has helped....and I wish you the very best...please keep us posted, we care and understand..
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

My last scans also showed 3 small spots on my brain....I was totally asymptomatic....no headaches, no dizziness, no vision changes nothing....so it was a total shock! My oncologist sent me immediately to my rads onc....He stressed these were very small and he and my med onc are 99.9% sure that the radiation would take "care" of them...I had 10 rads treatments....(my third go round of radiation since this nightmare started in '09) I'm also back on chemo...ugh... Not as easy as the first go round in '09.....

Here's what I experienced during these treatments....first they do a simulation like with all radiation....it took about 25-30 minutes....they make a plastic mold of your head..Mine was lime green.....because your head can't move during treatments....this mold was used for every treatment....it is actually "bolted" to the table....it's not as bad as it sounds...although I was really anxious about it....after being lined up, the treatment last less than 5 minutes..
    I just told myself I could do anything for 5 minutes! Also brain rads causes almost overwhelming fatigue! Starts about treatment # 6-7.. Rest up before you start and as much as possible....I was totally wiped out! It's been 6 weeks since I finished and slowly but surely my energy is returning but now I'm coping with chemo fatigue....also due to the massive doses of steroids we have to take, no driving....because of the chance of seizures...I'm still not allowed until June...another tip....careful that you don't developed thrush in your mouth, again due to the steroids...I'm dealing with the third episode of this and it's miserable...alters the taste buds big time...have your rads onc prescribe Nystatin and start using it now!

I hope this has helped....and I wish you the very best...please keep us posted, we care and understand..
    Hugs, Nancy

I'm so sorry to hear this news
    I am praying for you and Nancy's advise sounds great. I never had brains rads but I have a girlfriend who did and she is doing great 3 years later.

You can do this and you are a fighter!
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Options

I am praying for you and Nancy's advise sounds great. I never had brains rads but I have a girlfriend who did and she is doing great 3 years later.

Hugs,
    Wanda

I'm so sorry for this news
    I hate reading this news. But I'm glad you have good drs and they are getting right on this. Stay strong pink sister and know that we are all here for you praying & cheering you on.

Hugs and God Bless,

Dawne
  • Muschi
    Options
    MAJW said:

Hugs, Nancy

Tank you
    Thank you Nancy for your advice. How many treatments did you have and did you had it on the whole brain? (lower and upper part. I think I am more advenced that yours because I had bad dizzi spells and head aches and bad balance when I walked, but the dr's are very positive about it to get rid of those tumors also.
    Thanks again for your fast respond and all other pink sisters thank you also!!!
    Hugs Ilona
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    So Very Sorry
    Hi,

I am so very sorry for your news. I sent you a message. Glad that you insisted on a ct scan. You have some good advise from Nancy.

Wishing you the best as you go through another episode with this disease.

Best,

Doris
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    RE said:

Hugs,

RE

I am so sorry llona. I will
    I am so sorry llona. I will be praying for you.

Hugs, Diane
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    Been there done that
    I found the 15 whole brain rads to be much easier and quicker than the breast rads. The daily trtmt was really quick, no undressing, etc. I didn't react well to the steroids..gained 12 pounds, got pretty mouthy...no discretion, and slept very little. Got a whole bunch of my house cleaned before I finally got weaned off and haven't touched it since, lol. Those other closets can wait.

I did have headaches and some nausea, thought I had the "flu" and then thought my neck was out..pcp suggested peace of mind MRI. 3-4 lesions and lots of swelling. My 4 week post trtmt MRI showed swelling gone and only 2 lesions left that they think may be scar tissue. At that time they released me to drive as I was off steroids and swelling was gone. Unfortunately while waiting on a consult with cyber knife doc I had lung and lymph node involvement show up on a chest CT, SO am putting of for 3 months any decision on those 2 lesions, which was my RO s suggestion to begin with as I take Xeloda to fight those mets.

The moral of this novel is, the bc in my brain did respond VERY well to the whole brain rads and the treatment, I thought, was easy, scalp did get a little red and I pretty much had all of my hair fall out when I Aquaphored my head, got rid of it all at once, lol. I was fatigued but now I really know why, wasn't the rads fault.

I think you'll do great, the crazy part was when I was done and they offered me the mask to take home....um. NO.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you,

Jennifer
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    SIROD said:

So Very Sorry
    Hi,

I am so very sorry for your news. I sent you a message. Glad that you insisted on a ct scan. You have some good advise from Nancy.

Wishing you the best as you go through another episode with this disease.

Best,

Doris

I am wishing you all the
    I am wishing you all the best and letting you know that you will be in my prayers.

Hugs, Angie
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Ilona
    I am so sorry you are going throuh more. This sucks, but u can do it. Amazing how much we can endure. Before all of his started, I wondered how people couldnsurvivive so much. Now ai just think that God gave us so many more tools then I ever imagined.

Prayers that you have an easier time going throih his treatment.
    Carol
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Hugs,
    Wanda

I'm so sorry and will
    I'm so sorry and will certainly keep praying for you. Like Wanda said, you can do this and we're here to help!

Hugs, Lex
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Options
    Have Strength,Courage Hope
    Have Strength,Courage Hope and be Strong you can make it through this my prayers are with you.
    Hugs Frankie
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Have Strength,Courage Hope
    Have Strength,Courage Hope and be Strong you can make it through this my prayers are with you.
    Hugs Frankie

so sorry about this, glad
    so sorry about this, glad they are very hopeful. glad someone here had some advice
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Been there done that
    I found the 15 whole brain rads to be much easier and quicker than the breast rads. The daily trtmt was really quick, no undressing, etc. I didn't react well to the steroids..gained 12 pounds, got pretty mouthy...no discretion, and slept very little. Got a whole bunch of my house cleaned before I finally got weaned off and haven't touched it since, lol. Those other closets can wait.

I did have headaches and some nausea, thought I had the "flu" and then thought my neck was out..pcp suggested peace of mind MRI. 3-4 lesions and lots of swelling. My 4 week post trtmt MRI showed swelling gone and only 2 lesions left that they think may be scar tissue. At that time they released me to drive as I was off steroids and swelling was gone. Unfortunately while waiting on a consult with cyber knife doc I had lung and lymph node involvement show up on a chest CT, SO am putting of for 3 months any decision on those 2 lesions, which was my RO s suggestion to begin with as I take Xeloda to fight those mets.

The moral of this novel is, the bc in my brain did respond VERY well to the whole brain rads and the treatment, I thought, was easy, scalp did get a little red and I pretty much had all of my hair fall out when I Aquaphored my head, got rid of it all at once, lol. I was fatigued but now I really know why, wasn't the rads fault.

I think you'll do great, the crazy part was when I was done and they offered me the mask to take home....um. NO.

Jennifer

Good luck tomorrow with
    Good luck tomorrow with rads. Praying and thinking of you!

Hugs, Lex
  • Muschi
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Been there done that

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer
    when you lost all your hair with the rads, did it come back again? I just got my hair back from chemo. I think this time I ware hats, it will be too hot for wigs.
    Thanks again for your help, Ilona
    PS. starting rad this monday for 3 weeks with steroids on the side, LOL
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    More Prayers...
    Just wanted to let you know that I went to church this morning and set a prayer for all of us. I want - from the bottom of my heart - for God to perform miracles on all of us. I will continue with prayers.

Please be strong, stay positive and take one day at a time. We are here for you.

Let us know about your progress please. Blessings for you.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Hugs,
    Wanda

I will be praying for you
    I will be praying for you and you keep fighting.

Hugs, Jan
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    RE said:

Hugs,

RE

Another hurdle, but, you can
    Another hurdle, but, you can do it! You've got the prayers of all of the pink sisters!

Hugs and lots of prayers,

Megan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Hugs, Nancy

:(
    I am so sad to read your post and wish you had no need to write it. There are a couple of pink sisters on here that have gone thru this and I hope will post to you and help you with information.

I know I will be praying and hoping!

Sue